Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking to buy a watch 08:23 - Mar 21 with 78019 viewsJakeITFC

Any recommendations of brands to go for or avoid?

Looking to spend <£1k so am I better to look second hand for a better brand on Watchfinder or buy a top end model from a lesser brand? Any up and comers you’d recommend?

In terms of model I’m thinking a sports type watch - Rolex Seamaster type thing.
Looking to buy a watch on 09:45 - Mar 23 with 5545 viewsRyorry

Looking to buy a watch on 01:53 - Mar 23 by SpruceMoose

Would you be interested in a monthly biscuit and washing powder subscription? Asking for a friend.

£14.99/month for all I can eat & wash? If accompanied by a special offer of a freebie 1 bed-flat in Ipswich available for 2 nights pre & post all first-team games at PR, it's a deal :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Looking to buy a watch on 09:48 - Mar 23 with 5538 viewsSwansea_Blue

Looking to buy a watch on 23:31 - Mar 22 by Ryorry

Haha, I wish I could say I'd spent the £2K or whatever I "saved" on the trip of a lifetime to Machu Picchu (or wherever), but I'm afraid it probably went on rent, washing powder & biccies!

Surprisingly cheap, or it is if work have paid your flights over there

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looking to buy a watch on 10:41 - Mar 23 with 5509 viewsRyorry

Looking to buy a watch on 09:48 - Mar 23 by Swansea_Blue

Surprisingly cheap, or it is if work have paid your flights over there

You jammy bastard!

Perhaps you should pass on that employer's name & contacts to J2!

Looking to buy a watch on 11:10 - Mar 23 with 5489 viewstcblue

Looking to buy a watch on 09:26 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

Coincidentally I was reading this article this morning.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/2018/03/watches-a-buyers-guide/

An 8 year waiting list for a Rolex Daytona.

I haven't checked recently but those 'Batman' blue and black GMTs were going for crazy money second hand due to the waiting list...
Looking to buy a watch on 11:29 - Mar 23 with 5476 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 03:32 - Mar 23 by The_Romford_Blue

I’ve always thought it’s crazy how much watches cost.

I had a £200 watch as a kid like 5 or 6 years ago but every time I wanted to check the time, I checked my phone anyway. Plus I fully expected to smash it somehow as I’m that clumsy there’s no way I’d buy a proper expensive watch.

I could think of a lot better ways I’d spend a couple of grand than on something to tell the time. Which, effectively, is all it is. No matter how much ‘prestige’ it makes people feel they have.

A kid with a £200 watch amazes me as well to be honest.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 11:39 - Mar 23 with 5452 viewsGlasgowBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 11:29 - Mar 23 by BrixtonBlue

Could have been a gift from his parents. I bought my boy a good watch for his 16th.

16ths and 18ths are milestones.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Looking to buy a watch on 11:47 - Mar 23 with 5452 viewsitfcjoe

Looking to buy a watch on 09:26 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

Coincidentally I was reading this article this morning.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/2018/03/watches-a-buyers-guide/

An 8 year waiting list for a Rolex Daytona.

My old man was on a 5 year waiting list and got one within 3 months. If you stick your name down at a jewellers and have the money available you'll get one quickly.

He ended up flogging it stupidly, he had made a bit on it but was a pointless thing to do and just because a mate wanted one

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Looking to buy a watch on 12:01 - Mar 23 with 5431 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Looking to buy a watch on 13:43 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

Not in the slightest. A good meal in a nice restaurant is a 'once now and again' treat, it's not 'parading' in front of others, and £90 for a two course meal and drinks in a quality restaurant in central London is not excessive. In fact it's pretty normal and you can pay a lot more in many places.

Thousands of pounds on a watch that doesn't even tell the time very well is excessive, IMO, and not remotely comparable.

It’s all relative though surely?

You think £90 for a meal for 2 and drinks is normal (and I would tend to agree), but for some people that may represent a months food budget - those people would probably think that is vulgar too

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Looking to buy a watch on 12:19 - Mar 23 with 5417 viewstcblue

We're all doing quite well at the judging thing today (including my rise to Rommers).

Spend your money on what makes you happy. Even if that's £90 beans on toast.

Whoops, judging is very moreish isn't it
Looking to buy a watch on 16:18 - Mar 23 with 5374 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 12:01 - Mar 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

It’s all relative though surely?

You think £90 for a meal for 2 and drinks is normal (and I would tend to agree), but for some people that may represent a months food budget - those people would probably think that is vulgar too

In a half decent restaurant in Central London it IS normal. There's no 'think' about it.

The people for whom that represents a month's food budget are unlikely to be in that restaurant watching, so I'm not sure how it can be vulgar.

Expensive watches are status symbols used to demonstrate wealth. Having a meal isn't (apart from, perhaps, trying to impress the person you're with). As we headed home on the Tube people wouldn't have known if we were dining at the Ritz or McDonalds.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 16:21 - Mar 23 with 5373 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 11:39 - Mar 23 by GlasgowBlue

Could have been a gift from his parents. I bought my boy a good watch for his 16th.

16ths and 18ths are milestones.

18's an adult. We were talking about kids.

As I've said earlier, each to their own. But there's no way I'd give a 16 year old a £200 watch.

Looking to buy a watch on 16:31 - Mar 23 with 5367 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Looking to buy a watch on 04:22 - Mar 23 by tcblue

And I think it's madness spending thousands on betting. People are different aren't they Romster

Absolutely.

I’m just saying, for me, I’d never spend the figures I’ve seen in this thread on something to tell the time.

Just my personal view on the topic.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Looking to buy a watch on 16:32 - Mar 23 with 5363 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Looking to buy a watch on 11:29 - Mar 23 by BrixtonBlue

It was a present on my 13th birthday from my parents

Looking to buy a watch on 16:34 - Mar 23 with 5363 viewsSpruceMoose

Looking to buy a watch on 16:32 - Mar 23 by The_Romford_Blue

I hope your gamblin' and a whorin' ways don't end with you pawning it for 50p to put in a fruity.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Looking to buy a watch on 16:44 - Mar 23 with 5357 viewsbluefunk

Looking to buy a watch on 14:27 - Mar 21 by Darth_Koont

Fair enough. Still, a major market where the value is completely different and the product could have been easily shipped anywhere? I don't like the sound of watches as a long-term investment.

There is no doubt that carefully chosen watches keep their value or even better. For example a Rolex Daytona costing £9500 in Jan 17 was worth £16500 just before Christmas 2017 - that’s a fact. I have several watches which are worth an average 20% more than I paid for them, but I bought primarily because I really like watches, always have always will, just bought more expensive ones as it went on.
Looking to buy a watch on 17:34 - Mar 23 with 5334 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 16:32 - Mar 23 by The_Romford_Blue

You were walking around Romford as a 13 year old wearing a £200 watch?! Jesus.

Looking to buy a watch on 18:17 - Mar 23 with 5316 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Looking to buy a watch on 17:34 - Mar 23 by BrixtonBlue

You were walking around Romford as a 13 year old wearing a £200 watch?! Jesus.

I barely wore it. Only for special occasions.

I lived in Hornchurch at that time anyway

Looking to buy a watch on 18:24 - Mar 23 with 5308 viewsLord_Lucan

Looking to buy a watch on 18:17 - Mar 23 by The_Romford_Blue

I barely wore it. Only for special occasions.

I lived in Hornchurch at that time anyway

Ha ahaha

That made I laugh

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Looking to buy a watch on 21:17 - Mar 23 with 5271 viewsronnyd

Had my Sekonda for over 30yrs. Just needs batteries and straps every now and again. £30 quid, whats what to like?
Looking to buy a watch on 22:21 - Mar 23 with 5240 viewsBurwell_Blue

Looking to buy a watch on 16:21 - Mar 23 by BrixtonBlue

18's an adult. We were talking about kids.

As I've said earlier, each to their own. But there's no way I'd give a 16 year old a £200 watch.

Would you lose your mind if you knew my 12 yr old daughter has an iPhone X?

Not bought by me I should add
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 22:22]
Looking to buy a watch on 23:40 - Mar 23 with 5213 viewsslump

Looking to buy a watch on 22:21 - Mar 23 by Burwell_Blue

Would you lose your mind if you knew my 12 yr old daughter has an iPhone X?

Not bought by me I should add
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 22:22]

What* is an iPhone x?

*I understand that it's a phone assuming that it's called one

UTT

Looking to buy a watch on 06:47 - Mar 24 with 5151 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Looking to buy a watch on 16:18 - Mar 23 by BrixtonBlue

In a half decent restaurant in Central London it IS normal. There's no 'think' about it.

The people for whom that represents a month's food budget are unlikely to be in that restaurant watching, so I'm not sure how it can be vulgar.

Expensive watches are status symbols used to demonstrate wealth. Having a meal isn't (apart from, perhaps, trying to impress the person you're with). As we headed home on the Tube people wouldn't have known if we were dining at the Ritz or McDonalds.

No, that’s normal to you, because you can afford it and therefore do it regularly. For some people going to Nando’s and spending £30 for 2 would be the equivalent, and below that there are people that consider going out for a McDonalds a treat. There are then people that can only dream of the latter

People in those boats would likely consider the £90 meal extravagant - even though its somewhat normal to you and I

People with more money tend to spend more on nicer things because they can afford it. Struggling to see why watches are any different to food, clothes, cars, technology or indeed anything else to be honest

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Looking to buy a watch on 10:40 - Mar 24 with 5108 viewsRyorry

Watch addicts might like this -

Looking to buy a watch on 10:41 - Mar 24 with 5105 viewslowhouseblue

Looking to buy a watch on 10:40 - Mar 24 by Ryorry

Watch addicts might like this -

i'd rather remain lost than wear that.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Looking to buy a watch on 11:29 - Mar 24 with 5090 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 06:47 - Mar 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No, that’s normal to you, because you can afford it and therefore do it regularly. For some people going to Nando’s and spending £30 for 2 would be the equivalent, and below that there are people that consider going out for a McDonalds a treat. There are then people that can only dream of the latter

People in those boats would likely consider the £90 meal extravagant - even though its somewhat normal to you and I

People with more money tend to spend more on nicer things because they can afford it. Struggling to see why watches are any different to food, clothes, cars, technology or indeed anything else to be honest

It's not something I do regularly and IS something I consider a treat. You're missing the point about normality. It's normal as in THAT'S WHAT IT IS. That IS the price (and often more) in central London restaurants. There's no discussion on whether it's normal or not. It's a fact.

I appreciate other people can't afford that but that's a million miles away from the point.

People having treats within their means is one thing. It's a meal. We have to eat. It's just nice having a really good one, compared to what you're used to, sometimes. I wouldn't begrudge a wealthy person paying way more than that for their own version of a treat.

That's a million miles away from someone spending thousands on a watch. Someone above was talking about £10k for a watch. That is OBSCENE IMO. The £90 meal is likely worth that price compared to a meal in McDonalds. How can you justify that the £10k watch is THAT much better than Ryorry's £30 watch? They both do exactly the same thing. Glassers has even admitted that Rolex's aren't even very good at telling the time. THEIR ONE JOB!!

Frankly, I'm struggling to see how YOU'RE struggling to see the difference.

Having a nice meal isn't a status symbol that you show off to others. Only the person or people you're with (plus the waiter) sees it. A flashy watch isn't even there for the necessity of telling the time (we all have a phone that does that). It's purely there for SHOW. That's the difference. I don't eat a nice meal for show.

It's interesting that TWTD, once again, descends into an ad hominem argument. I had a nice meal once, so I can't say spending thousands on a watch is wrong. I write Haribo ads, so I can't say McDonalds food isn't healthy. I think "No ad hominem argumentative strategies" should be in Phil's Ts & Cs for this site!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024