Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big one this weekend 12:59 - Mar 21 with 5655 viewsTractorWood

Who's going.......................

Colchester half marathon that is, anyone done it before and got any tips?
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 12:59]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Big one this weekend on 13:11 - Mar 21 with 4790 viewsitfcjoe

I've got London Landmarks this weekend....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Big one this weekend on 13:32 - Mar 21 with 4771 viewsSWGF

Mrs SWGF is doing it.

I've got a ballet exam. Wish me luck.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Big one this weekend on 13:32 - Mar 21 with 4784 viewsReuser_is_God

Run 13.1 miles as quickly as you can.

I’ve just done a 3 miler on my lunch break & I feel like I might die before I finish my soup.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Big one this weekend on 13:39 - Mar 21 with 4764 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I’m signed up and have had my pack through the post but may not be able to make it

Also haven’t really done any training so if I do do it anything under 1:50 would be a miracle. Think there’s a massive hill at some point too 🙄

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Big one this weekend on 13:45 - Mar 21 with 4753 viewsTractorWood

Big one this weekend on 13:39 - Mar 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’m signed up and have had my pack through the post but may not be able to make it

Also haven’t really done any training so if I do do it anything under 1:50 would be a miracle. Think there’s a massive hill at some point too 🙄

Allegedly the big hill is quite early, mile one/two or so.

Big one this weekend on 13:48 - Mar 21 with 4753 viewsTractorWood

Big one this weekend on 13:32 - Mar 21 by Reuser_is_God

Run 13.1 miles as quickly as you can.

I’ve just done a 3 miler on my lunch break & I feel like I might die before I finish my soup.

Thanks. I was hoping for some specific Colchester tips. I've done a few half marathons before and have a couple of marathons in the diary this year so more part of a wider training plan. That said, not going for a PB is like setting up for a draw.

Big one this weekend on 13:49 - Mar 21 with 4744 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Big one this weekend on 13:45 - Mar 21 by TractorWood

Oh, joy

Big one this weekend on 13:51 - Mar 21 with 4744 viewsEJP

Big one this weekend on 13:11 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

I've got London Landmarks this weekend....

Me too.

Was signed up for Colchester too as it’s normally earlier in March, but no...
Login to get fewer ads

Big one this weekend on 13:56 - Mar 21 with 4738 viewsSWGF

Big one this weekend on 13:45 - Mar 21 by TractorWood

It's pretty much downhill from the start until you get to North Hill which is steep to walk, let alone run. You could always do what I used to do when walking into town from my old flat; use the lift in Williams & Griffin carpark.

It's been a few years since Mrs SWGF last did it but think she said that from The Siege House onwards is basically a steady incline for a fair bit, up Ipswich Road.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Big one this weekend on 13:58 - Mar 21 with 4726 viewsReuser_is_God

Big one this weekend on 13:48 - Mar 21 by TractorWood

Thanks. I was hoping for some specific Colchester tips. I've done a few half marathons before and have a couple of marathons in the diary this year so more part of a wider training plan. That said, not going for a PB is like setting up for a draw.

Good luck.

Evans out

Big one this weekend on 14:33 - Mar 21 with 4699 viewsTMWWNGAS

Im going, I work in Colchester so a few people I know are doing it, and in an online running club..

North Hill apparently isn't as bad as people are saying, though it is early on so don't waste your energy sprinting up it!

The drags are Ipswich Road which is just long, and Boxford Straight Road which is about 3 miles out in the country and not a huge amount of support out there (so my advice get chatting to someone as the time will go quicker! There is also a short hill not far from the finish but as your so close to the finish its not worth worrying about!

Good Luck
Big one this weekend on 14:49 - Mar 21 with 4684 viewsWD19

As itfcjoe, London Landmarks for me on Sunday. First 'proper' half marathon.
Big one this weekend on 14:50 - Mar 21 with 4682 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Can you wear earphones?

I've done a few and noticed that more and more have started threatening to 'Eject' runners from the race if caught with earphones in.

I've always struggled to run without music as you only have yourself for company and I am an incredibly boring person I have since discovered.

My trick however is to find out who are the serious runners on the start line and what sort of time they are aiming for/regularly running and just follow the one(s) that are likely to be the best pace setter for you..
Failing that, find an attractive women (or man, whatever your preference) and run behind them for 13.1 miles wondering if the face is worth looking at based on their backside
Big one this weekend on 14:51 - Mar 21 with 4681 viewsTractor_Buck

Too early in my training for me, particularly as I've lost 3 races to the weather so far this year. And having seen mention of North Hill in another comment, it sounds like a beast.

Great East Run anyone....?
Big one this weekend on 14:56 - Mar 21 with 4672 viewsReuser_is_God

Big one this weekend on 14:50 - Mar 21 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Can you wear earphones?

I've done a few and noticed that more and more have started threatening to 'Eject' runners from the race if caught with earphones in.

I've always struggled to run without music as you only have yourself for company and I am an incredibly boring person I have since discovered.

My trick however is to find out who are the serious runners on the start line and what sort of time they are aiming for/regularly running and just follow the one(s) that are likely to be the best pace setter for you..
Failing that, find an attractive women (or man, whatever your preference) and run behind them for 13.1 miles wondering if the face is worth looking at based on their backside

Why do they eject people for wearing earphones?

Evans out

Big one this weekend on 14:56 - Mar 21 with 4676 viewsTractor_Buck

Big one this weekend on 14:50 - Mar 21 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Can you wear earphones?

Earphones are against UKA regs so that rules their use out in most organised events. The theory is that if you can't hear a marshal's instructions, or traffic, it's not safe.

At an lot of the races I've helped with or participated in, runners wear them if they want to and remove them close to the line or whenever they see someone in a blue and red UKA coat.

You'll have your time ruled invalid if you are spotted.
Big one this weekend on 14:57 - Mar 21 with 4666 viewsitfcjoe

Big one this weekend on 14:56 - Mar 21 by Tractor_Buck

Earphones are against UKA regs so that rules their use out in most organised events. The theory is that if you can't hear a marshal's instructions, or traffic, it's not safe.

At an lot of the races I've helped with or participated in, runners wear them if they want to and remove them close to the line or whenever they see someone in a blue and red UKA coat.

Or wireless headphones under a headband

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Big one this weekend on 15:00 - Mar 21 with 4666 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Big one this weekend on 14:56 - Mar 21 by Tractor_Buck

Indeed. I accept that Safety reasons are fully justified, particularly when a lot include some single lane roads or close to traffic

but I do seem to remember running around Silverstone half marathon with only crowd noise being pumped through the speakers along the finishing straight. Was an incredibly surreal experience and hadn't realised how bl00dy long the track was..
Big one this weekend on 15:04 - Mar 21 with 4651 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Big one this weekend on 14:57 - Mar 21 by itfcjoe

Or wireless headphones under a headband

Done that a couple of times.. Tried a thin hat, but it was too warm and a Bjorn Borg headband to limit the area of coverage.

Both times I felt like I was under the saharan sun by the halfway stage and could have cooked an egg off my forehead. Though, I have always had issues regulating my temperature as I'm always warm.
Big one this weekend on 15:43 - Mar 21 with 4631 viewsTractor_Buck

Big one this weekend on 15:00 - Mar 21 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Indeed. I accept that Safety reasons are fully justified, particularly when a lot include some single lane roads or close to traffic

but I do seem to remember running around Silverstone half marathon with only crowd noise being pumped through the speakers along the finishing straight. Was an incredibly surreal experience and hadn't realised how bl00dy long the track was..

I've yet to do a racetrack event, but a couple of mates did the Oulton Park 10k a few weeks back. They said much the same as you; it's not until you try to run round a car track that you actually realise how long they are.

On top of that, Oulton Park has a sudden steep climb (the Deer Leap) just before the start/finish line which apparently made the whole thing even more painful.
Big one this weekend on 15:44 - Mar 21 with 4629 viewsEJP

Big one this weekend on 13:56 - Mar 21 by SWGF

It's pretty much downhill from the start until you get to North Hill which is steep to walk, let alone run. You could always do what I used to do when walking into town from my old flat; use the lift in Williams & Griffin carpark.

It's been a few years since Mrs SWGF last did it but think she said that from The Siege House onwards is basically a steady incline for a fair bit, up Ipswich Road.

I use Ipswich Road as part of my marathon training runs and can confirm it’s a deceptively steep sod of a road!
Big one this weekend on 11:35 - Mar 25 with 4517 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

How did everyone get on? Waiting for the official time from Colchester but looks like a 1:47-something. Think that’s my best for a couple of years - very happy with that especially given the complete lack of training and preparation!

Course was quite enjoyable too - although going out to Boxted and back felt like an absolute slog. Mind you I’m not sure I’ve found a course that doesn’t after 9+ miles!

EDIT: Turns out my chip time was 1:46:42 which was a PB by 5 seconds, so buzzing at that!
[Post edited 25 Mar 2018 14:55]

Big one this weekend on 13:57 - Mar 25 with 4478 viewsWD19

Big one this weekend on 11:35 - Mar 25 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

How did everyone get on? Waiting for the official time from Colchester but looks like a 1:47-something. Think that’s my best for a couple of years - very happy with that especially given the complete lack of training and preparation!

Course was quite enjoyable too - although going out to Boxted and back felt like an absolute slog. Mind you I’m not sure I’ve found a course that doesn’t after 9+ miles!

EDIT: Turns out my chip time was 1:46:42 which was a PB by 5 seconds, so buzzing at that!

1:52-ish. Blew up badly over the last 3km due to complete lack of training.
Big one this weekend on 14:54 - Mar 25 with 4470 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Big one this weekend on 13:57 - Mar 25 by WD19

1:52-ish. Blew up badly over the last 3km due to complete lack of training.

That’s a shame - 1:52 is still pretty decent going though, well done

Big one this weekend on 15:38 - Mar 25 with 4450 viewsTractorWood

Big one this weekend on 11:35 - Mar 25 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Great work. Really tough course, especially North(?) Hill. I didn't go at it full bore, just jogged round with the other half who was running her first half marathon. Some of those villages were lovely.
[Post edited 25 Mar 2018 15:42]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024