Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Genuine question re NHS wage rises 10:14 - Mar 22 with 8283 viewsconnorscontract

Have the Government guaranteed that they will find all of the extra costs of the NHS pay rises, and associated "On Costs" with additional money?

If not, how are NHS Trusts, many of which are at financial breaking-point already, supposed to fund it?
Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:17 - Mar 22 with 4267 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Its all coming from the Treasury, Not NHS budgets.

Unlike the Police pay rises, which we are all starting to see in our council tax bills.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:21 - Mar 22 with 4262 viewsCurrie10

* Charge patients for missed appointments.
* Stop booking translators for people with zero interest in speaking English / learning.

Our department has just spent 1.5 hours this morning, desperately finding a translator at a cost of £200.........
Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:24 - Mar 22 with 4254 viewsconnorscontract

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:17 - Mar 22 by Cheltenham_Blue

Unlike the Police pay rises, which we are all starting to see in our council tax bills.

The headline is that the wages are, but will the "On Costs" eg increased pension contributions?
Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:26 - Mar 22 with 4249 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:24 - Mar 22 by connorscontract

The headline is that the wages are, but will the "On Costs" eg increased pension contributions?

As I understand it, it's all in the treasury package.

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:26 - Mar 22 with 4255 viewsBlueBadger

Scrap the internal market which costs, at conservative estimate, £4bn a year to run. It's a whole tier of management that doesn't need to exist. If it were a footballer, it's be Paul Taylor - an expensive 'luxury' that doesn't deliver anything that it's supposed to.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:28 - Mar 22 with 4240 viewsimsureazzure

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:21 - Mar 22 by Currie10

* Stop booking translators for people with zero interest in speaking English / learning.

Our department has just spent 1.5 hours this morning, desperately finding a translator at a cost of £200.........

Top idea, same with the courts with regard to the translators.
Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:30 - Mar 22 with 4238 viewsBlueBadger

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:28 - Mar 22 by imsureazzure

Top idea, same with the courts with regard to the translators.

Ironically enough, this could quite easily increase costs as people may not understand what is required of them to maintain their health, pay their fines, etc , etc meaning that it costs services much, much more on wholly avoidable emergency treatments, fine recovery, etc.

The translation bill is currently dwarfed by the bill for the internal market, which exceeds translation costs by at least 40 times.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2018 10:50]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:32 - Mar 22 with 4226 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:21 - Mar 22 by Currie10

Plenty of Brits go off to live in Europe, particularly France and Spain and expect the locals to speak English.

But yes, fine people for missed appts.

Login to get fewer ads

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:33 - Mar 22 with 4219 viewsBlueBadger

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:32 - Mar 22 by Cheltenham_Blue

Plenty of Brits go off to live in Europe, particularly France and Spain and expect the locals to speak English.

*missed appointments without contacting to explain why - sometimes, sh1t just happens.

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:35 - Mar 22 with 4212 viewsbrazil1982

They might expect it, but I doubt the health services in France and Spain employ English translators.
Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:35 - Mar 22 with 4206 viewsconnorscontract

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:26 - Mar 22 by Cheltenham_Blue

As I understand it, it's all in the treasury package.

Ok. That's good, then.

It will make a big difference to staff morale and retention.
Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:39 - Mar 22 with 4198 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Bit of a stereotype. The only people I know who live in France and Spain have learnt the language. To varying degrees of success I must admit.
Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:39 - Mar 22 with 4192 viewsBlueBadger

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:35 - Mar 22 by connorscontract

Ok. That's good, then.

It will make a big difference to staff morale and retention.

A slightly lower real-terms cut over three years will make all the difference...

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:40 - Mar 22 with 4192 viewsBasuco

It is market forces, acute staff shortages mean that pay levels have to rise to attract more staff, pay is now so low even cheap foreign nurses and doctors do not wish to come here and work. It is the same as every industry in that if pay does not attract the sufficient staff then pay levels rise, plenty of staff then pay levels stay very low. This could easily be paid for by keeping services in house rather than paying profits to private companies.
Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:42 - Mar 22 with 4186 viewsBlueBadger

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:40 - Mar 22 by Basuco

It is market forces, acute staff shortages mean that pay levels have to rise to attract more staff, pay is now so low even cheap foreign nurses and doctors do not wish to come here and work. It is the same as every industry in that if pay does not attract the sufficient staff then pay levels rise, plenty of staff then pay levels stay very low. This could easily be paid for by keeping services in house rather than paying profits to private companies.

The whole internal market is a massive money sinkhole. Simply administering it costs at least £4bn a year. and that's before you factor in in-house services having to pick up the pieces for failing outsourced services. As happened her win suffolk when community nursing services was farmed out.

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:45 - Mar 22 with 4173 viewsconnorscontract

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:39 - Mar 22 by BlueBadger

A slightly lower real-terms cut over three years will make all the difference...

For who? Is this completely cherry picking some jobs but not others?
Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:47 - Mar 22 with 4169 viewsBlueBadger

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:45 - Mar 22 by connorscontract

For who? Is this completely cherry picking some jobs but not others?

Sorry, should have added 'for NHS staffing retention' to that.

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:52 - Mar 22 with 4157 viewsconnorscontract

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:47 - Mar 22 by BlueBadger

Sorry, should have added 'for NHS staffing retention' to that.

Yes, I got that, but when you are talking about real terms cuts, do you mean in relation to when the freeze began, or ongoing from now?

It is being reported as a real terms increase.
Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:53 - Mar 22 with 4158 viewsHerbivore

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:52 - Mar 22 by connorscontract

Yes, I got that, but when you are talking about real terms cuts, do you mean in relation to when the freeze began, or ongoing from now?

It's 6% over three years and inflation has been running at around 3% so it's still a real terms wage cut, just less of one than they've been used to since 2010.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:54 - Mar 22 with 4152 viewsBlueBadger

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:52 - Mar 22 by connorscontract

It's really not. It's staged over three years. It'll be roughly on a level with inflation in the first year and below it after that.

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:54 - Mar 22 with 4152 viewsnoggin

Did I read that nurses are losing a day’s holiday for the pay rise?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:56 - Mar 22 with 4140 viewsBlueBadger

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:54 - Mar 22 by noggin

Did I read that nurses are losing a day’s holiday for the pay rise?

Not any more.

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 11:19 - Mar 22 with 4118 viewsconnorscontract

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:53 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

It's 6% over three years and inflation has been running at around 3% so it's still a real terms wage cut, just less of one than they've been used to since 2010.

Ok. The arricle I read this morning emphasised the big uplift in starting wages, and the tone of the article was that this was a (belated but) decent wage rise.

Which points to the BBC not asking the difficult questions before publishing. Again.

The whole thing is classic divide and conquer: half of staff getting better rises, half getting around or under inflation. So the experienced (more expensive) staff get peed off and leave and the younger (cheaper) staff are happier with their lot.
Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 11:23 - Mar 22 with 4112 viewsBlueBadger

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 11:19 - Mar 22 by connorscontract

Ok. The arricle I read this morning emphasised the big uplift in starting wages, and the tone of the article was that this was a (belated but) decent wage rise.

Which points to the BBC not asking the difficult questions before publishing. Again.

The whole thing is classic divide and conquer: half of staff getting better rises, half getting around or under inflation. So the experienced (more expensive) staff get peed off and leave and the younger (cheaper) staff are happier with their lot.

..until they hit the top of their band and the whole sorry cycle starts again.

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 11:26 - Mar 22 with 4100 viewsDarth_Koont

Genuine question re NHS wage rises on 10:17 - Mar 22 by Cheltenham_Blue

What's this "Treasury" you're talking about? It's called the Magic Money Treeâ„¢

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024