Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere 18:31 - Mar 22 with 15507 viewsWadeyBlue

This suggestion was asked the other night at the fans panel.

Answer was the police either wont allow it or strongly advised against it.

What is the fkn problem. Both sets of fans are apart and any problems keep away fans in after the game for 20 mins.

OB crapping it again for no reason.

Poll: In our multicultural society and ever changing world should we offer halal food?

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 08:57 - Mar 23 with 4094 viewsRadlett_blue

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 08:52 - Mar 23 by maccyd9

Yep,their lads were on both sides, primarily the left as you looked at it from the away end.

As for Derby now, they have always been next to the away fans since their move. Originally the away fans were behind the goal so the home lads went in the corner. Then it swapped 2 or 3 years ago.

Forest's main end has always been the Trent end but they then had a lot of lads in the side stand who have mostly now moved to behind the goal next to the away fans.

Leeds' Kop will always be their main end.

As for fans moving. Most clubs have a good sized section that have relocated to be nearer the away fans. We are the exception which I put down to the anticipated reaction from the club.

I can't imagine a scenario whereby the club were open to 300-400 moving to the south lower and allow standing or anything that you would need in order to create an atmosphere.

But if they did, I'd be up for it, know a lot that would and I'm sure it could be done. For me, the North Stand is done. It's soulless and the spark and history was left behind when it was re-built.

At 38 I'm just old enough to remember the West Stand and sat in there for a while and it was cracking. Something remotely like that on a bigger scale is what's needed.

Millwall is another example of where the more passionate supporters have generally moved their seats to be nearer the away fans.
It would improve the atmosphere if the more vocal ITFC fans got together & moved to the old Churchmans end, away from the disastrous North Stand, but can you really see that happening?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 08:58 - Mar 23 with 4096 viewshype313

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 07:57 - Mar 23 by Manchesterblue

If that's the case the North Stand supporters need to move to Churchmans

Problem with that is if there wee a sudden rush of North Standers moving to Churchmans, they would just move the away fans up the other end.

Lets be honest though, it's not like the north stand has been that vociferous over the past few years, you sometimes hear the occasional moan at best.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 09:01 - Mar 23 with 4086 viewsITFC_Forever

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 08:58 - Mar 23 by hype313

Problem with that is if there wee a sudden rush of North Standers moving to Churchmans, they would just move the away fans up the other end.

Lets be honest though, it's not like the north stand has been that vociferous over the past few years, you sometimes hear the occasional moan at best.

Exactly what Palace did when their Ultras set up camp in the corner of the Holmesdale.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 09:06 - Mar 23 with 4079 viewsmaccyd9

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 08:57 - Mar 23 by Radlett_blue

Millwall is another example of where the more passionate supporters have generally moved their seats to be nearer the away fans.
It would improve the atmosphere if the more vocal ITFC fans got together & moved to the old Churchmans end, away from the disastrous North Stand, but can you really see that happening?

I'd say the majority of clubs have that now like Millwall. Even down the league's.

Can I see it happening? I think it's doable, but it would need buy in from the club and what is their gain?

Yes it would improve the atmosphere in my opinion but it brings with it hassle. You have the Galleria down there so the effect on Corporate guests would be a concern for them. You have existing ST holders who may well intentionally have choosen that area of the ground to be away from the more vocal fans.

The biggest problem is the ground design. There is no clear area whereby fans could move to. Realistically it would need to be in the upper corner of the South Stand.

But for all the reasons I've stated, whilst I think you could get buy in from a decent enough number of fans, I just don't see the club having any of it and making it nigh on impossible to achieve what the goal would be.
Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 09:16 - Mar 23 with 4060 viewsITFC_Forever

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 09:06 - Mar 23 by maccyd9

I'd say the majority of clubs have that now like Millwall. Even down the league's.

Can I see it happening? I think it's doable, but it would need buy in from the club and what is their gain?

Yes it would improve the atmosphere in my opinion but it brings with it hassle. You have the Galleria down there so the effect on Corporate guests would be a concern for them. You have existing ST holders who may well intentionally have choosen that area of the ground to be away from the more vocal fans.

The biggest problem is the ground design. There is no clear area whereby fans could move to. Realistically it would need to be in the upper corner of the South Stand.

But for all the reasons I've stated, whilst I think you could get buy in from a decent enough number of fans, I just don't see the club having any of it and making it nigh on impossible to achieve what the goal would be.

The design of the ground is the crux of it all.

The location of the away fans was discussed at the Fans Forum the other night and they are located where they are for a multitude of reasons, and as the OP said, the police would strongly advise against moving them, but there are also smaller logistical issues as well, such as the bar facilities (the old club shop is an away fans catering bar for example, you wouldn't be able to to this at the North Stand end).

The other possible location for the away fans is the Upper Tier of Churchmans, but this is a non-starter as it would be impossible to segregate the lower concourse of Churchmans (which you have to pass through to get to the Upper Tier) and the turnstiles.

So I think the location of the away fans will never change and when we get the larger followings, the club will relocate Cobbold ST holders for that game... while we are in this division, it will only be for a handful of games a season.

As for the North Stand lads moving, as Maccy says, there are probably fans in Churchmans Lower who deliberately sit there as it's away from the rowdy fans in the North. I guess the lower corner of the Churchmans Upper is an option, but the club won't be so tolerant on the standing as they are in the North Lower.

This gets discussed fairly regularly on here, and no-one ever comes up with a realistic conclusion.

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 09:38 - Mar 23 with 4041 viewsHalf_Idiot

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 00:55 - Mar 23 by The_Romford_Blue

I’d try it if I knew a decent number were too.

But I imagine even if a decent amount moved, it would be ruined by the season ticket holders in that area moaning throughout the game that we were ruining the ambiance of their finger sandwiches whilst the stewards spend the whole time wearing themselves at us standing up. Would be a horrendous experience unless it was relaxed like in the north stand.

You think you're pretty special because you sit in the north stand don't you?

Back when things were exciting at the club the Greene King stand had a good atmosphere. However over the last 10 years or so the atmosphere has dropped as there's little to get excited about. But this is happening in all stands, it's not like the north stand is buzzing with energy all the time.

I think a move to the GK is a good idea provided the club get on board, yeah some of the STH may get upset but I reckon the majority will welcome it as it will improve the atmosphere throughout the ground.
Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 09:45 - Mar 23 with 4032 viewsPJH

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 22:37 - Mar 22 by slump

I meant, why would you not be impressed?

And why would Churchman's not be happy with Northstanders infiltrating them?

Baseball ground was nothing special in the eighties when I went

Personally I would not be impressed if I had to relocate because the away fans were being moved to where I now am because I have had that seat since 1985/86 EXCEPT FOR ONE KEANE YEAR and the view is good.
As I have also said in this thread if the ST letter suggests that there might be several occasions in the future where I will have to relocate then I might move my seat permanently for next season.
I know that my second paragraph slightly contradicts the first one but basically I like my existing seat where it is.

Others in this thread have suggested that some in Churchmans might not want Northstanders moving there and that is also the opinion that I have but just an opinion.
Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 10:05 - Mar 23 with 4019 viewsgainsboroughblue

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 21:20 - Mar 22 by Pinewoodblue

Wasn't the traditional home end at Baseball Ground behind the goal. Would assume fans moved enbloc but have migrated to the current position closer to away fans.

Can think of a few fans in Legends who wouldn't be happy.

My memory of the baseball ground was that the hostile bit was to the right hand side along the touchline. Also there was a fair bit of noise coming from the other side of the fence next to you. A bit like how it was for away fans with J block and the North.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Login to get fewer ads

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 12:25 - Mar 23 with 3985 viewstextbackup

Huge factor that’s not been discussed in this thread... the fact that we have about 25 people that actually sing, and majority of the sings are complete gash

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 12:28 - Mar 23 with 3977 viewsBenters2

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 12:25 - Mar 23 by textbackup

Huge factor that’s not been discussed in this thread... the fact that we have about 25 people that actually sing, and majority of the sings are complete gash

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 14:03 - Mar 23 with 3940 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 12:28 - Mar 23 by Benters2

Oh it’s alright if someone else ‘slags off our fans’

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 14:07 - Mar 23 with 3935 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 06:30 - Mar 23 by Benters2

Here you go again slating the town fans!

In that corner on the South stand is where some of the hardcore town fans sit,i doubt they join in on 'more fun if you all join in ' chant.

Funny enough i thought how quiet you were walking down the road from the station in Norwich!

They way you act on here i was expecting you to stride down the road shouting SCUM SCUM SCUM!

Bearing in mind we were nowhere near any scum fans at that point, it would’ve been bl00dy stupid don’t you think?

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 14:23 - Mar 23 with 3924 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 14:07 - Mar 23 by The_Romford_Blue

Bearing in mind we were nowhere near any scum fans at that point, it would’ve been bl00dy stupid don’t you think?

Yes, because that would have been the only reason that it would have been stupid..
Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 14:33 - Mar 23 with 3920 viewslongtimefan

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 09:38 - Mar 23 by Half_Idiot

You think you're pretty special because you sit in the north stand don't you?

Back when things were exciting at the club the Greene King stand had a good atmosphere. However over the last 10 years or so the atmosphere has dropped as there's little to get excited about. But this is happening in all stands, it's not like the north stand is buzzing with energy all the time.

I think a move to the GK is a good idea provided the club get on board, yeah some of the STH may get upset but I reckon the majority will welcome it as it will improve the atmosphere throughout the ground.

Although never great, there hasn't been a decent atmosphere in the South stand since it was rebuilt! The separation into to two levels ruined it, coupled with the addition of the back of the lower tier being turned into corporate seating which is populated by people with limited interest in the game.
Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 14:37 - Mar 23 with 3915 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 14:23 - Mar 23 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Yes, because that would have been the only reason that it would have been stupid..

Well of course. I liked the singing on the train when it was packed but on that open road with barely any fans of either side about, it would’ve been ridiculous chanting on my own. Of course Benters knows that but he’s just being Benters.

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 14:38 - Mar 23 with 3915 viewsBlueinBrum

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 18:40 - Mar 22 by brightlingseabee

As an away fan got to say it's not great being stuck up in the corner

Have you tried Hawk Express?
Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 14:40 - Mar 23 with 3913 viewsunbelievablue

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 14:38 - Mar 23 by BlueinBrum

Have you tried Hawk Express?

That's a 3 pint joke.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 14:46 - Mar 23 with 3913 viewsportmanroadblue

If the North standers moved to the South Stand and it upsets the South stand ST holders, they can move to the North Stand or put up with it.
A lot of our fans are melts (n/t) on 14:48 - Mar 23 with 3909 viewsDyland

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 14:03 - Mar 23 by The_Romford_Blue

Oh it’s alright if someone else ‘slags off our fans’

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 11:59 - Mar 25 with 3808 viewsSlambo

Bit late to the argument, but a subject I feel passionately about. I asked one of the panelists to bring it up at the forum, actually. It has to be done! The excuses are pretty lame really: fans are physically separated so couldn't get at each other on the pitch; outside the ground the away fans would walk in the exact same direction to the train station; what's more, there's a natural bottleneck on Portman Road and Alderman road which could be utilised stop the North Stand fans and away fans mingling OUTSIDE the ground; season ticket holders already in the co-op stand would simply be shifted to their mirror seat further down the co-op; fans who moved to the South Stand to get close to the away fans would end up just getting kicked out for persistent standing and singing; besides, it would be much harder to separate the fans post match...it's another problem that could be solved instantly by bringing back terracing, and another area where the club is utterly refusing to grant fans' wishes...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 12:16 - Mar 25 with 3804 viewsOxford_Blue

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 18:42 - Mar 22 by blueislander

Can you name another Championship stadium where the away fans are placed right next to the area where the most vociferous home fans are situated?

Yes, several, including Norwich
Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 13:44 - Mar 25 with 3774 viewsITFC_Forever

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 11:59 - Mar 25 by Slambo

Bit late to the argument, but a subject I feel passionately about. I asked one of the panelists to bring it up at the forum, actually. It has to be done! The excuses are pretty lame really: fans are physically separated so couldn't get at each other on the pitch; outside the ground the away fans would walk in the exact same direction to the train station; what's more, there's a natural bottleneck on Portman Road and Alderman road which could be utilised stop the North Stand fans and away fans mingling OUTSIDE the ground; season ticket holders already in the co-op stand would simply be shifted to their mirror seat further down the co-op; fans who moved to the South Stand to get close to the away fans would end up just getting kicked out for persistent standing and singing; besides, it would be much harder to separate the fans post match...it's another problem that could be solved instantly by bringing back terracing, and another area where the club is utterly refusing to grant fans' wishes...

Lack of away fans facilities is another reason (old club shop is an away fans bar), and why would the police approve anything that will make life more difficult. However much you argue it, removing the away fans to the North end of the Portman Stand is doing exactly that.

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 15:21 - Mar 25 with 3748 viewsSlambo

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 13:44 - Mar 25 by ITFC_Forever

Lack of away fans facilities is another reason (old club shop is an away fans bar), and why would the police approve anything that will make life more difficult. However much you argue it, removing the away fans to the North end of the Portman Stand is doing exactly that.

It will barely make life more difficult for the police.. As I said, there's a bottleneck across Portman Road on that corner where the club shop is. End of the game, just pop one meat wagon there and a couple of coppers and that would be more than enough to stop the North Stand fans and away fans mingling. And even then, such a measure would probably only be necessary for 2-3 games...

As you rightly state, there's a problem within the layout of the actual stand. That would require some slight alterations - putting in a new partition to separate the away fans from the home fans in the co-op. Shouldn't cost much, but if our tight-arse owner didn't want to stump i'm sure we could crowd fund it pretty easily. As I said, the vast majority of fans would support this...

At the end of the day, what is the club run for? The convenience of the police/other authorities or the improved experience of the supporter? There's a lot my missus gets me to do that's an inconvenience, but if you want a relationship to work you bend sometimes. Christ knows Evans and co need to extend an olive branch...

UPPA TOWEN!

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 15:40 - Mar 25 with 3734 viewsOxford_Blue

The irony of course is that the old north stand terracing was split so that half of it was full of away fans right next to us, with only a fence in between. And this was in the era of hooliganism at its worst. So my point is if it was acceptable then, to have more people in the same stand as each other with the vociferous home support and away fans next to each other at the height of holligsnsm, why can’t they be put in a separate stand that faces the north stand now?

And in any event the club does this for big games anyway.
Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 15:50 - Mar 25 with 3723 viewsSlambo

Move away fans to North Stand end to improve atmosphere on 15:40 - Mar 25 by Oxford_Blue

The irony of course is that the old north stand terracing was split so that half of it was full of away fans right next to us, with only a fence in between. And this was in the era of hooliganism at its worst. So my point is if it was acceptable then, to have more people in the same stand as each other with the vociferous home support and away fans next to each other at the height of holligsnsm, why can’t they be put in a separate stand that faces the north stand now?

And in any event the club does this for big games anyway.

Well, this is it. It's another strange anachronism in English football, just like banning terracing and drinking alcohol in view of the pitch. Odd idiosyncrasies that we can (hopefully) laugh about some day...

UPPA TOWEN!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024