Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A little left field but how about... 07:27 - Mar 23 with 4144 viewsBaltachaFanClub

No I’m not one for calling for a manager to be sacked, and I am not going to claim anything more than idle thought.

I’ve just finished Joey Barton’s book, and he talks of his ambition to manage. He sets out clear tactical ideas and even has a pre chosen backroom team, it’s all very interesting, the book is one of the best autobiographies I have read. It is open, honest and at times Joey leave himself somewhat exposed as a much more sensitive and caring human than his image would suggest.

I had always referred to Joey as “too clever for football, too stupid to be human” and to a degree my point is valid, his image of tough tackling cheat covers him in a dark glory, but he struggles with the outside world.

Anyway, I am not suggesting we should go for him as the next boss, but I am suggesting that anyone after a good read, tries his book... and approaches it with an open mind.

this is not a football forum, its a forum for people who occasionally mention football. Current cheese mood - Blacksticks Blue
Poll: What happens more in the average week ?
Blog: It's Not R*********, It's the Promise of an Adventure

A little left field but how about... on 09:04 - Mar 23 with 4020 viewsJimmyJazz

If you thought Roy Keane attracted a media circus, can you imagine how it would be for Joey? Everyone would constantly try to wind him up

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

A little left field but how about... on 09:07 - Mar 23 with 4013 viewsITFC_Forever

It would be a risk and an experiment, and I'd be intrigued to see how it went. ...

But not at our club. I think sooner or later he'd blow his top over something daft either with one of his own players or during a game and it would all end in tears.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

A little left field but how about... on 09:12 - Mar 23 with 3996 viewsBlueBadger

A little left field but how about... on 09:04 - Mar 23 by JimmyJazz

If you thought Roy Keane attracted a media circus, can you imagine how it would be for Joey? Everyone would constantly try to wind him up

He IS very famous though.
And imagine what the pressers would be like.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A little left field but how about... on 09:29 - Mar 23 with 3970 viewsDarth_Koont

You'd like to think he knows a thing or two about getting control of a game in the middle of the park (although that knowledge wasn't all that transferrable to the players when Jim was here).

I haven't read the book but how volatile and difficult is he off the pitch and now when he's not drinking? Do you get the feeling he could be more in control? That's one of the major criteria for a manager with Evans taking a back seat — the manager needs to be a leader around the place not just quietly working with the first team squad.

If we're not going to invest more but people want us to challenge more at the top we'll probably need something a bit more left field. That's the sort of gamble we're taking anyway.

Pronouns: He/Him

A little left field but how about... on 09:36 - Mar 23 with 3945 viewsBlueBadger

A little left field but how about... on 09:29 - Mar 23 by Darth_Koont

You'd like to think he knows a thing or two about getting control of a game in the middle of the park (although that knowledge wasn't all that transferrable to the players when Jim was here).

I haven't read the book but how volatile and difficult is he off the pitch and now when he's not drinking? Do you get the feeling he could be more in control? That's one of the major criteria for a manager with Evans taking a back seat — the manager needs to be a leader around the place not just quietly working with the first team squad.

If we're not going to invest more but people want us to challenge more at the top we'll probably need something a bit more left field. That's the sort of gamble we're taking anyway.

'Roy Keane only less stable' isn't the answer though.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

A little left field but how about... on 09:40 - Mar 23 with 3935 viewsfactual_blue

A little left field but how about... on 09:12 - Mar 23 by BlueBadger

He IS very famous though.
And imagine what the pressers would be like.

Particularly when Phil asks him about his axe-wielding brother......

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A little left field but how about... on 09:55 - Mar 23 with 3893 viewsDarth_Koont

A little left field but how about... on 09:36 - Mar 23 by BlueBadger

'Roy Keane only less stable' isn't the answer though.

Probably not. But it's not clear (to me anyway) what a better answer would look like.

With the overall context of our spending and how the rest of the division operates, we'll need someone who can do something surprising.

Pronouns: He/Him

A little left field but how about... on 10:00 - Mar 23 with 3883 viewsBaltachaFanClub

A little left field but how about... on 09:40 - Mar 23 by factual_blue

Particularly when Phil asks him about his axe-wielding brother......

You are an intelligent man facters, have a read of the book. It’s very interesting regarding the events around the imprisonment of his brother

this is not a football forum, its a forum for people who occasionally mention football. Current cheese mood - Blacksticks Blue

Login to get fewer ads

A little left field but how about... on 10:08 - Mar 23 with 3856 viewsdavblue

The book is very good and not your usual clap trap rubbish you get.

Where he delves into why he thinks he done things in his career was very interesting.

I said on here a few months back that i think he has a chance of being a good manager.

On a side note i think Carrick might well end up a good manager also, has a good temperament, which might be Barton's downfall.
A little left field but how about... on 12:05 - Mar 23 with 3752 viewsBlueBadger

A little left field but how about... on 10:08 - Mar 23 by davblue

The book is very good and not your usual clap trap rubbish you get.

Where he delves into why he thinks he done things in his career was very interesting.

I said on here a few months back that i think he has a chance of being a good manager.

On a side note i think Carrick might well end up a good manager also, has a good temperament, which might be Barton's downfall.

For my money, Carrick should have won far more England caps than he has.

A little left field but how about... on 06:36 - Mar 26 with 3576 viewsdavblue

A little left field but how about... on 12:05 - Mar 23 by BlueBadger

For my money, Carrick should have won far more England caps than he has.

Yep, should be on 100caps +. We haven’t kept the ball well for years and we have someone who’s very good at it and we don’t use them. Only England..
A little left field but how about... on 07:17 - Mar 26 with 3518 viewschristiand

He talks well, but as he has shown when under pressure he is unpredictable. Let him stick to footballing punditry, managing a club is a completely different ball game!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

A little left field but how about... on 09:49 - Mar 26 with 3404 viewsNo9

Joey Barton is an interesting charachter but whether he would make a great leader of men is another matter
A little left field but how about... on 13:18 - Mar 26 with 3346 viewsBlueastheycome

I read joeys book and totally brought him as a character and a person...and then a week later it came out he had broken betting rules over and over again. I felt totally conned.

Same thing happened after I read Big sams book too!
A little left field but how about... on 13:41 - Mar 26 with 3322 viewsRobTheMonk

I'll always remember when he was on Question Time and he was actually doing quite well. Then he made a massive misjudgement with one of his comments. I think he'd be too left field for us but an interesting character.
A little left field but how about... on 13:53 - Mar 26 with 3315 viewsStirlingArcher

Take Roy Keane
add Chopra's gambling problem
ramp up the instability

side note
can't STAND him on talk sport. tries SO hard to sound intellectual with his responses
and fails
A little left field but how about... on 18:16 - Mar 26 with 3247 viewsBaltachaFanClub

A little left field but how about... on 13:18 - Mar 26 by Blueastheycome

I read joeys book and totally brought him as a character and a person...and then a week later it came out he had broken betting rules over and over again. I felt totally conned.

Same thing happened after I read Big sams book too!

He has added extra chapters to it now, and they cover this issue

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024