Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The best performance I've ever seen from England.... 09:50 - Mar 23 with 5389 viewsITFC_Forever

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43507809

I had just finished my finals at Uni and being skint, stayed in to watch it with my girlfriend of the time who kindly brought round beer and pizza.
Holland have always had a certain aura around them and to see them taken apart in such a manner, especially after the way they stopped us getting to USA 94 a couple of years earlier, was incredible.
And another amusing thing was the late consolation Holland scored stopped Scotland getting through....

The only possible rival being the 5-1 away to Germany, but I missed the first half of that one as I was on the way back from a day out in London with the Mrs (not the same one as at Uni a few years prior).

[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 10:15]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 09:53 - Mar 23 with 4794 viewsLesta_Tractor

Was good but the Dutch were a bit of a mess as they had all fallen out.

That 0-0 away in Rome is still one of my favourite England games.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 09:53 - Mar 23 with 4790 viewsCotty

That 3rd goal is probably my favourite ever England goal.
The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 09:55 - Mar 23 with 4782 viewshoppy

I was fortunate enough to have got tickets in the ballot for both that game and the England v Scotland game too (where our seats were right in front of where Gazza lifted the ball over Colin Hendry's head and volleyed into the goal - amazing stuff) but they were arguably the two best games of the tournament. Such a buzz leaving Wembley!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 09:56 - Mar 23 with 4773 viewsbluewein

Gazza.

*swoon...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 09:57 - Mar 23 with 4771 viewsSwansea_Blue

I loved the 3rd. You know a team is bursting with confidence and playing together with a goal like that. Teddy
Sheringham was such a clever player too. Gazza staying on his feet in the build-up to the goal as well. If that was today they'd go down like being shot and then throw their arms up and whinge if they didn't get a pen.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 10:07 - Mar 23 with 4735 viewsSwansea_Blue

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 09:53 - Mar 23 by Cotty

Yep it's great goal. Although this one just pips it for me. Lineker's first in his hattrick against Poland in Mexico 86 (second goal in the vid below).

A fantastic counter attack at a time when we needed it too as we'd had a bit of a slow start to the tournament (if I remember rightly).

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 10:11 - Mar 23 with 4723 viewsSteve_M

It's the slight sigh wondering why Sherringham hadn't shot before everyone realises he had known Shearer was in a better position.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 10:13 - Mar 23 with 4719 viewsITFC_Forever

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 09:53 - Mar 23 by Lesta_Tractor

The Dutch always fall out with each other.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 10:14 - Mar 23 with 4724 viewsSteve_M

I watched it in a hall at uni at the end of my first year, it was packed, all big football fans supporting dozens of teams which I think added to the enjoyment as it was people who had endured crap football and thus really appreciated the good days.

It was definitely better than the 5-1. That was still slightly freakish in that everything seemed to go in once we were ahead. The Holland match was just superb, even conceding a goal to knock Scotland out.

Edit: to add that the 0-0 draw with Italy in Rome or the performance against Argentina after Beckham was sent off both deserve a mention for the tactical sophistication and discipline - just so un-English.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 10:15]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 10:21 - Mar 23 with 4695 viewsartsbossbeard

I'm not a big Eng-er-land fan but ended up watching 5-1 game with Mrs Beard outside a street bar in Sorrento. I managed to spill my beer all over her when the 5th went in.

Anyhoo, whilst the game was on, this fella taps me on the shoulder and says.

"Excuze me, Vot iz the score?
ABB "I don't think you're going to like it but its 5-1 to England".
He replied "I love it! I'm Austrian!"

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 11:01 - Mar 23 with 4621 viewsusm

This one was good - remember watching it with my dad - we needed to win to go through and as I recall we had been pretty poor in the previous games - so this came as a pleasant surprise !

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 11:04 - Mar 23 with 4603 viewshype313

I was in Majorca when that game was on, the bars were buzzing, and when the 4th went in the place went mental, turned out to be a cracking night.

Probably the last time I enjoyed an International game.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 11:04 - Mar 23 with 4601 viewsdavblue

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 09:55 - Mar 23 by hoppy

I was fortunate enough to have got tickets in the ballot for both that game and the England v Scotland game too (where our seats were right in front of where Gazza lifted the ball over Colin Hendry's head and volleyed into the goal - amazing stuff) but they were arguably the two best games of the tournament. Such a buzz leaving Wembley!

The first half of the Scotland game was awful if i recall correctly.

Redknapp came on and changed the game.
The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 11:23 - Mar 23 with 4541 viewsHennikerBlu

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 09:53 - Mar 23 by Lesta_Tractor

Yes that was in the press, though, not sure I buy that was the reason they lost. They went on to draw with France and only narrowly lost on pens. Allegedly, the England WC '90 squad fell out with the manager (though this seems to have been exaggerated) and it was probably one of our best performances, so it can work for you. We were just awesome that day!

No one accepts excuses for England's failures (in fact the press and pundits can't wait to pounce), so I am not going to except them from other countries :)
The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 11:50 - Mar 23 with 4502 viewsLord_Lucan

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 09:56 - Mar 23 by bluewein

Gazza.

*swoon...

Has there been a greater English player?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 11:55 - Mar 23 with 4484 viewsSwansea_Blue

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 11:50 - Mar 23 by Lord_Lucan

Carlton Palmer?

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 12:09 - Mar 23 with 4454 viewsTractorWood

Love that goal. Gazza versus Scotland probably edges it though.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 12:10 - Mar 23 with 4451 viewsLesta_Tractor

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 11:50 - Mar 23 by Lord_Lucan

One of the 66 squad?

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 12:37 - Mar 23 with 4406 viewsLord_Lucan

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 10:21 - Mar 23 by artsbossbeard

I'm not a big Eng-er-land fan but ended up watching 5-1 game with Mrs Beard outside a street bar in Sorrento. I managed to spill my beer all over her when the 5th went in.

Anyhoo, whilst the game was on, this fella taps me on the shoulder and says.

"Excuze me, Vot iz the score?
ABB "I don't think you're going to like it but its 5-1 to England".
He replied "I love it! I'm Austrian!"

When I watched the Spain v Holland WC Final outside a bar on the Leidseplein everyone started shouting "You English B4stard", after a few moments I realised they were directing it at the referee.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 12:49 - Mar 23 with 4381 viewsBlueRaider

I was there, fantastic performance, we should have won that tournament, so unlucky v Germany in the semi

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 13:16 - Mar 23 with 4348 viewsFtnfwest

They often say that the match v Brazil was one of the greatest ever but obviously ended in a loss. However for me the earliest world cup i can vaguely remember was 1974 (remember the final quite well, and collecting the panini stickers!)
Since then in terms of England its mainly gazza included games as others have mentioned but the 3 games since him i thought were good were
1. the 5-1 against Croatia in WC qualifying under capello (went to this and it was a total demolition, the only time lampard and gerrard played well together in the same game).
2. Euro 2004 again v Croatia where we won 4-2 against what was a very good side, even not panicking when we went behind.
3. Qualifier for 2004 v Turkey (think this was played at Sunderland or Middlesbrough). The golden generation that Turkey had at the time were again v good, but we withstood a bit of an onslaught, didnt panic, held out and then played really well to win 2-0.
The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 13:28 - Mar 23 with 4332 viewsReuser_is_God

Quintessential Sheringham.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 13:28 - Mar 23 with 4334 viewsblueislander

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 13:16 - Mar 23 by Ftnfwest

They often say that the match v Brazil was one of the greatest ever but obviously ended in a loss. However for me the earliest world cup i can vaguely remember was 1974 (remember the final quite well, and collecting the panini stickers!)
Since then in terms of England its mainly gazza included games as others have mentioned but the 3 games since him i thought were good were
1. the 5-1 against Croatia in WC qualifying under capello (went to this and it was a total demolition, the only time lampard and gerrard played well together in the same game).
2. Euro 2004 again v Croatia where we won 4-2 against what was a very good side, even not panicking when we went behind.
3. Qualifier for 2004 v Turkey (think this was played at Sunderland or Middlesbrough). The golden generation that Turkey had at the time were again v good, but we withstood a bit of an onslaught, didnt panic, held out and then played really well to win 2-0.

I was at Wembley when we beat the Jocks five nil. Their supprt outnumbered us by about five times. Beattie scored our third with a towering header.
The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 13:36 - Mar 23 with 4317 viewsSuperfrans

One of the best games I've ever been to. Fantastic memories. Can't believe its 22 years ago now...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 13:41 - Mar 23 with 4300 viewschristiand

The best performance I've ever seen from England.... on 09:57 - Mar 23 by Swansea_Blue

I loved the 3rd. You know a team is bursting with confidence and playing together with a goal like that. Teddy
Sheringham was such a clever player too. Gazza staying on his feet in the build-up to the goal as well. If that was today they'd go down like being shot and then throw their arms up and whinge if they didn't get a pen.

Sheringham was a quality striker, he had such a quick brain his lack of pace was never an issue. The clever pass he does for Shearer’s second goal summed Sheringham up for me - deft, unselfish and quick thinking.

The 4-1 win against Holland in Euro 96 was a terrific all round team display.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 13:44]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024