Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cost of trains... 12:44 - Mar 23 with 5135 viewsitfcjoe

I know most people are aware of this, and I was, but when you see it in black and white it still takes you back.

Mrs itfcjoe had to work in London yesterday - had to travel in peak time and was late notice, and her work has to book their trains through Capita.

A return ticket from Ipswich, including a travel pass to get her to Shepherds Bush was £93.90 + a booking fee!

£100 to get to London and back, how much would a taxi be?!

And then track issues at Ilford, so having to change trains at Chelmsford and pray as no information given etc.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cost of trains... on 12:46 - Mar 23 with 3622 viewsSpruceMoose

Absurd isn't it?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Cost of trains... on 12:47 - Mar 23 with 3619 viewsSuperfrans

The taxi question is a really good one. Four people on a taxi would be a much much better deal, wouldn't it. Ridiculous.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Cost of trains... on 12:48 - Mar 23 with 3607 viewsDubtractor

Trains are stupidly expensive.

Even off peak it would be cheaper to drive to lond9n.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Cost of trains... on 12:49 - Mar 23 with 3600 viewsKeno

Last time I tried to but a train I was quoted a few Million for the engine and several hundred thousand for carriages

bought a car and drove instead

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Cost of trains... on 12:50 - Mar 23 with 3594 viewsSwansea_Blue

£270-280 from Swansea if you need to be there for a full day. That's 3 hours away. = about £40 in fuel. And then they wonder why people drive.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cost of trains... on 12:50 - Mar 23 with 3593 viewsbrazil1982

Vote Labour - same journey would cost £2 and it will take 25 minutes.
Cost of trains... on 12:51 - Mar 23 with 3597 viewsLord_Lucan

Travelled by train in Spain a few times and it is cheap as chips, plus they have a proper bar on the train where you can sit and talk sh1t to people you will never see again.

UK trains are a disgrace, if you can't get your workforce to work on time and at a reasonable price what chance do we have?

Last week a few of the boys popped up to Nodge and we all got the last train (Vomit Comet) home, it was a tiny old chugger and the toilets were all blocked and brim full of p1ss. Disgusting stuff.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Cost of trains... on 12:54 - Mar 23 with 3577 viewsSpruceMoose

Cost of trains... on 12:51 - Mar 23 by Lord_Lucan

Travelled by train in Spain a few times and it is cheap as chips, plus they have a proper bar on the train where you can sit and talk sh1t to people you will never see again.

UK trains are a disgrace, if you can't get your workforce to work on time and at a reasonable price what chance do we have?

Last week a few of the boys popped up to Nodge and we all got the last train (Vomit Comet) home, it was a tiny old chugger and the toilets were all blocked and brim full of p1ss. Disgusting stuff.

To be fair, why would they put on a pristine luxury train for the 'vomit comet'? Lucky they didn't give you this :

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

Cost of trains... on 12:56 - Mar 23 with 3569 viewsSitfcB

Cost of trains... on 12:47 - Mar 23 by Superfrans

The taxi question is a really good one. Four people on a taxi would be a much much better deal, wouldn't it. Ridiculous.

But then tbf if there's 3+ people then you can get a group save, which is around £27/28 pp which includes and all day travel card for tubes, buses and overground in London.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Cost of trains... on 12:59 - Mar 23 with 3554 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cost of trains... on 12:47 - Mar 23 by Superfrans

Depends who the driver is...

Cost of trains... on 13:05 - Mar 23 with 3522 viewsSWGF

And it's the apparent randomness of pricing as well.

Got to Birmingham from Colchester for the day/night Test last summer for £14 each way, via central London.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Cost of trains... on 13:06 - Mar 23 with 3513 viewsitfcjoe

Cost of trains... on 12:56 - Mar 23 by SitfcB

But then tbf if there's 3+ people then you can get a group save, which is around £27/28 pp which includes and all day travel card for tubes, buses and overground in London.

Not at peak time it isn't

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cost of trains... on 13:15 - Mar 23 with 3488 viewshype313

Blame Thatcher.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Cost of trains... on 13:16 - Mar 23 with 3478 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cost of trains... on 13:15 - Mar 23 by hype313

Blame Thatcher.

And he was an awful left back

Cost of trains... on 13:30 - Mar 23 with 3449 viewsReuser_is_God

A peak open return is £65 but that’s without tube & is also split at Manningtree.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cost of trains... on 13:49 - Mar 23 with 3399 viewsSteve_M

It is a bit cheaper to just book the train and use an Oyster Card/credit card for the tube part. It's only £2.90 each way at peak times but, yes, really expensive. Rail privatisation has been a licence to increase peak fairs by ridiculous levels.

We have to use a similar company for work travel, basically have to find the exact flights on the airline website to avoid getting something really crap but then book through them for their unmerited percentage.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cost of trains... on 13:52 - Mar 23 with 3386 viewsITFC_Forever

Yep, licence to print money.

£100 average price (allowing for people getting on at Nodge / Diss / Stow and people with STs) and 500+ on a train, that's £50000 per train income.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Indeed on 13:53 - Mar 23 with 3383 viewsDyland

Cost of trains... on 12:51 - Mar 23 by Lord_Lucan

One of the few things where the word disgrace is genuinely appropriate.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Cost of trains... on 13:56 - Mar 23 with 3366 viewsdavblue

My ticket from Haddenham to Marylebone for a season ticket will be £4964 that's including the Tube. The tube part is £600 pounds.

For car parking they want another £1200 for the year. It's getting to the point where i question what's the point.
Cost of trains... on 13:57 - Mar 23 with 3366 viewsfactual_blue

Because the rail companies know that corporate purchasers aren't driven by price.

Oh, and the price on the ticket won't be what they've actually paid. Corporate buyers get a discount.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 14:07]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cost of trains... on 13:58 - Mar 23 with 3365 viewslongtimefan

Cost of trains... on 12:48 - Mar 23 by Dubtractor

Trains are stupidly expensive.

Even off peak it would be cheaper to drive to lond9n.

Friend of mine travels to London every Thursday afternoon and comes back later that night for a college course. Buys single tickets in advance for each direction on nominated trains and usually gets them for £10 each direction.
Cost of trains... on 14:09 - Mar 23 with 3330 viewsLord_Lucan

Cost of trains... on 13:58 - Mar 23 by longtimefan

Friend of mine travels to London every Thursday afternoon and comes back later that night for a college course. Buys single tickets in advance for each direction on nominated trains and usually gets them for £10 each direction.

But that is part of the problem, travel should be a set price. You shouldn't have to book in advance, split tickets, group save and all that.

What about old codgers without the internet?

When we go to London we get one of our mates to book it as he has all the tricks, group save, Manningtree split and all that caper. We end up with so many tickets it takes all journey to sort out and share them out. By the time we get to Liverpool Street we are all exhausted.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Cost of trains... on 14:16 - Mar 23 with 3293 viewsITFC_Forever

Cost of trains... on 14:09 - Mar 23 by Lord_Lucan

But that is part of the problem, travel should be a set price. You shouldn't have to book in advance, split tickets, group save and all that.

What about old codgers without the internet?

When we go to London we get one of our mates to book it as he has all the tricks, group save, Manningtree split and all that caper. We end up with so many tickets it takes all journey to sort out and share them out. By the time we get to Liverpool Street we are all exhausted.

Given your recent history on trains, sorting some tickets in to the right order should be the least of your worries....

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Cost of trains... on 14:19 - Mar 23 with 3282 viewsClapham_Junction

I got royally shafted by Virgin for the Bolton away game. Booked the tickets in December but then closer to the match I found out that there was now a rail replacement service which meant that I would now arrive after kick off and not be able to make my connecting train on the way home.

Phoned up expecting to be able to rebook for free, but was forced to cancel both original tickets at a loss of £20 and then book new tickets which were £30 more expensive as it was closer to the time of travel. The phone call took an hour.

Sent a complaint asking for a refund only for them to deny it was anything to do with them, and blamed it all on Northern Rail. Have responded pointing out that they were the ones I bought the tickets from and that it was their choice to charge me more, but not much hope of getting anywhere.
Cost of trains... on 14:19 - Mar 23 with 3281 viewsvapour_trail

Over six and a half grand now my season ticket.

It’s a lot to pay to stand all the way home.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024