Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: Really interesting piece about how batsmen see the ball 13:13 - Mar 23 with 2162 viewsSteve_M

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1136242/what-does-a-batsman-see

I have one dominant eye so struggled to even see a cricket ball the few times I've held a bat let alone count the revolutions on it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Really interesting piece about how batsmen see the ball on 13:38 - Mar 23 with 2121 viewshomer_123

Really interesting stuff Steve - actually, a lot of that can be applied to other bat/ball sports I suspect.

Thanks for sharing.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Cricket: Really interesting piece about how batsmen see the ball on 17:41 - Mar 23 with 2072 viewsbournemouthblue

I had really odd sensation once whilst batting when an opposition side had a red badge similar to the ball colour. I found my eyes briefly locked onto the badge as I watched the trajectory of the ball, very much as you imagine a robot may do when identifying a target.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Cricket: Really interesting piece about how batsmen see the ball on 18:28 - Mar 23 with 2048 viewsBackToRussia

Cricket: Really interesting piece about how batsmen see the ball on 17:41 - Mar 23 by bournemouthblue

I had really odd sensation once whilst batting when an opposition side had a red badge similar to the ball colour. I found my eyes briefly locked onto the badge as I watched the trajectory of the ball, very much as you imagine a robot may do when identifying a target.

The eye does a lot of "guessing". Filling in blanks it actually can't perceive, and superimposing things which it "expects" to see.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Cricket: Really interesting piece about how batsmen see the ball on 22:15 - Mar 23 with 1992 viewsbournemouthblue

Cricket: Really interesting piece about how batsmen see the ball on 18:28 - Mar 23 by BackToRussia

The eye does a lot of "guessing". Filling in blanks it actually can't perceive, and superimposing things which it "expects" to see.

It was a very weird sensation, it was only on one of their bowlers but there was almost like the box as shown in the video on that page

They've proven you can't watch the ball the whole time so you tend to look at the release point and then where the ball is likely to pitch

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Cricket: Really interesting piece about how batsmen see the ball on 22:19 - Mar 23 with 1985 viewsimsureazzure

Good stuff.
Cricket: Really interesting piece about how batsmen see the ball on 22:20 - Mar 23 with 1986 viewsimsureazzure

It has always puzzled me why right handed batters are so called, they lead with their left leg, left arm and sort of the left eye.
Cricket: Really interesting piece about how batsmen see the ball on 23:07 - Mar 23 with 1948 viewsPlums

Very interesting read. Thanks for posting. Shame our indoor nets finished tonight so I can’t try it out yet!

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Cricket: Really interesting piece about how batsmen see the ball on 08:38 - Mar 24 with 1874 viewshampstead_blue

Thanks for sharing this.

I'm netting and coaching tonight so will use this in the rest period.
I'll also try it myself.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket: Really interesting piece about how batsmen see the ball on 15:18 - Mar 24 with 1810 viewslongtimefan

Cricket: Really interesting piece about how batsmen see the ball on 08:38 - Mar 24 by hampstead_blue

Thanks for sharing this.

I'm netting and coaching tonight so will use this in the rest period.
I'll also try it myself.

Very interesting read that. Thinking about it I’ve realised I’ve probably done the watching the ball only out of the hand thing subconsciously, though I must admit to never have been able to pick up spin on a delivery. Whether that was because being an opener I rarely faced it and never “learnt” I don’t know. I do know though that changing eyesight definitely affected my batting against fast bowling though. As a young player I was an impulsive hooker and could pick up length very early. That ability to assess length deteriated as my ability to rapidly change focus faded and probably had a far greater impact on performance than age related slowing of other reflexes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024