Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quitting job for more money 15:09 - Mar 23 with 9611 viewsjersey_blue

Would you quit your current job for the same position at another firm if they gave you a significant pay rise?

I have this option but the firm who have offered me the job is much smaller and in my opinion not as good.

I am not completely happy where I am and the money would mean I could save a shed load more cash.
Quitting job for more money on 15:13 - Mar 23 with 6257 viewsfactual_blue

If you're not happy where you are, why is moving to a firm who are 'not as good' something you'd consider?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Quitting job for more money on 15:14 - Mar 23 with 6251 viewsSpruceMoose

Quitting job for more money on 15:13 - Mar 23 by factual_blue

If you're not happy where you are, why is moving to a firm who are 'not as good' something you'd consider?

Burger King fries are notoriously better than those of McDonalds.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Quitting job for more money on 15:15 - Mar 23 with 6248 viewsCurrie10

Is your name Bart Bialakowski?!
Quitting job for more money on 15:15 - Mar 23 with 6249 viewsartsbossbeard

I did this around 9 months ago and it's not been the best experience, to be honest.

I went from working for the #1 in my particular industry to the #3ish (on a good day with a decent wind) BUT I'm consistently annoyed by the lack a) professionalism b) problem ownership and c) available resources. I've now started to get some traction and to bring in some procedures from where I was before that are deemed as mind blowing and even though they're not my ideas, I'm getting virtual high-5's for their instigation.

My advise would be to say that you're interested but build up a list of caveats required - take a look at how you currently operate and either make sure that these procedures are in place or that the new company is open to change so that they will implement if it's felt it would improve them as a company.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Quitting job for more money on 15:15 - Mar 23 with 6261 viewsKieran_Knows

I was in completely the same position as you 2 and a half years ago.

I was working for a 'National' company which had 4 depots around the country (and Wales). They were an okay company, but I had become quite fed up with it all.

I then got an opportunity to work for the company I am now with (my old company used to cross hire stuff from this company), and like yourself, I didn't know what to do because I would be leaving for a much smaller company (there's only 5 people that work here, the M.D and me in the office, 3 guys in the yard).

All I will say is, it's the best decision I have ever made, and although I have to travel from Ipswich to Marks Tey each day (my old company was in Brantham), it's a small price to pay to have job satisfaction (and a very significant pay rise). It enabled me to save a lot more each month, and in turn I got on the property ladder last year aged 25 (after being here just under 2 years).

EDIT - I was fortunate enough that I knew 4/5 people that knew my now current boss, so was able to talk to them about what he/the company was like, and that then pretty much made my mind up for me. If you're able to do the same, then you should try that as well.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 15:20]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Quitting job for more money on 15:15 - Mar 23 with 6237 viewsfactual_blue

Quitting job for more money on 15:14 - Mar 23 by SpruceMoose

Not that difficult.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Quitting job for more money on 15:19 - Mar 23 with 6228 viewsunbelievablue

Maybe. Depends how happy you are where you are, I guess. Know anyone at the other firm? Trying to get an honest appraisal of working at a firm is hard, and everyone has their subjective experience.

I'm either going to do exactly what you're proposing but go to a bigger version of my current firm, or change career path entirely. Much less time and effort involved in the former, so leaning that way and considering doing it for 2-3 years and saving loads of dosh.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Quitting job for more money on 15:27 - Mar 23 with 6194 viewsFixed_It

Not quite the same but my son got made redundant when his company (market leaders) closed their British operation (based in Montreal). He eventually got head-hunted by their biggest rivals, and although he is on good money he finds it very frustrating as the product/software he has to work with is not a patch on that of his previous company. I'd say he has less job satisfaction, although he re-located to Zurich and now lives in a stunning location.
I guess it depends if the money is important to you. But as you aren't totally happy where you are maybe the change is what you need anyway.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

It depends how much more money it is on 15:35 - Mar 23 with 6171 viewsDyland

50% plus pay rise, possibly. Though I walk to work and we're kinda the market leader so it would need to be an exciting opportunity doing something slightly different in a new start-up to persuade me.

The thing that makes me pause is when you say this other company is not as good.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Quitting job for more money on 15:37 - Mar 23 with 6158 viewsDyland

Quitting job for more money on 15:15 - Mar 23 by Kieran_Knows

I was in completely the same position as you 2 and a half years ago.

I was working for a 'National' company which had 4 depots around the country (and Wales). They were an okay company, but I had become quite fed up with it all.

I then got an opportunity to work for the company I am now with (my old company used to cross hire stuff from this company), and like yourself, I didn't know what to do because I would be leaving for a much smaller company (there's only 5 people that work here, the M.D and me in the office, 3 guys in the yard).

All I will say is, it's the best decision I have ever made, and although I have to travel from Ipswich to Marks Tey each day (my old company was in Brantham), it's a small price to pay to have job satisfaction (and a very significant pay rise). It enabled me to save a lot more each month, and in turn I got on the property ladder last year aged 25 (after being here just under 2 years).

EDIT - I was fortunate enough that I knew 4/5 people that knew my now current boss, so was able to talk to them about what he/the company was like, and that then pretty much made my mind up for me. If you're able to do the same, then you should try that as well.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 15:20]

You're the janitor in that shed place, aren't you.

It depends how much more money it is on 15:38 - Mar 23 with 6155 viewsCotty

It depends how much more money it is on 15:35 - Mar 23 by Dyland

50% plus pay rise, possibly. Though I walk to work and we're kinda the market leader so it would need to be an exciting opportunity doing something slightly different in a new start-up to persuade me.

The thing that makes me pause is when you say this other company is not as good.

What if I offered to pay you in gin?
Quitting job for more money on 15:39 - Mar 23 with 6149 viewsKieran_Knows

Quitting job for more money on 15:37 - Mar 23 by Dyland

You're the janitor in that shed place, aren't you.

Ha, not quite, but not too far up the A120 from there!

It depends how much more money it is on 15:39 - Mar 23 with 6147 viewsDyland

It depends how much more money it is on 15:38 - Mar 23 by Cotty

What if I offered to pay you in gin?

Then I'd pass Cotters.

I get paid enough to buy all the gin I want you silly doofus x

Quitting job for more money on 15:40 - Mar 23 with 6138 viewsDyland

Quitting job for more money on 15:39 - Mar 23 by Kieran_Knows

Ha, not quite, but not too far up the A120 from there!

Dish cleaner in that rubbish curry place?

Quitting job for more money on 15:41 - Mar 23 with 6130 viewsKieran_Knows

Quitting job for more money on 15:40 - Mar 23 by Dyland

Dish cleaner in that rubbish curry place?

Getting closer*.

*not the job title, just where I work along the A120!

Quitting job for more money on 15:53 - Mar 23 with 6095 viewsDyland

Quitting job for more money on 15:41 - Mar 23 by Kieran_Knows

Getting closer*.

*not the job title, just where I work along the A120!

Seed buyer at Godbolt's Nursery?

Quitting job for more money on 16:02 - Mar 23 with 6080 viewsfooters

I've left a position before for a job that was worth ~£10k a year less but it was completely worth it. All about the team you'll be spending most of your bloody life with, the environment, work/life balance, clients, etc.Having that experience really helped open new doors and improved my skillset dramatically.

It's a minefield, mate, but don't just follow the money. But if it's small and not as good, you could be the guy to really make that change as ABB has pointed out. Depends how willing they are to go along with new ideas.

Good luck!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Quitting job for more money on 16:24 - Mar 23 with 6009 viewsKieran_Knows

Quitting job for more money on 15:53 - Mar 23 by Dyland

Seed buyer at Godbolt's Nursery?

Very very close, let's just leave it there!

Quitting job for more money on 16:27 - Mar 23 with 6000 viewschicoazul

If you can afford to work for a good company who pay less, you always should.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Quitting job for more money on 16:43 - Mar 23 with 5961 viewsjersey_blue

Quitting job for more money on 16:27 - Mar 23 by chicoazul

If you can afford to work for a good company who pay less, you always should.

Update - I've spoken to a few people in the industry and all been given really poor reviews of the business.

Poor working culture, long working hours and understaffed. Also the business and client base is very fragile with Brexit and the lack of global reach. The money is like 30% more than my place though and I've just had a good raise.

The money is way out of line with industry averages and this has also made me a bit dubious. Although wouldn't stop me considering it.
Quitting job for more money on 16:46 - Mar 23 with 5942 viewsartsbossbeard

Quitting job for more money on 16:43 - Mar 23 by jersey_blue

Update - I've spoken to a few people in the industry and all been given really poor reviews of the business.

Poor working culture, long working hours and understaffed. Also the business and client base is very fragile with Brexit and the lack of global reach. The money is like 30% more than my place though and I've just had a good raise.

The money is way out of line with industry averages and this has also made me a bit dubious. Although wouldn't stop me considering it.

I remember going to an interview around 15yrs ago when I bumped into an old work mate in reception.

He came over, shook my hand and whispered in my ear "don't fecking bother, mate. The boss is an ar5e and we're all out of here as soon as we can get something else sorted".

Of course, I nailed the interview.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2018 16:47]

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Quitting job for more money on 16:49 - Mar 23 with 5923 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Quitting job for more money on 16:43 - Mar 23 by jersey_blue

I made a move for the same money to a company closer to home and where I did not have extra responsibility. I had previously been paid for the extra responsibility but the original company had cut that pay (without telling me). I am much happier to have made that move. I would be very reluctant to move to a worse company now even if it did mean a pay rise. You have to think why are they paying more? What do they expect from you? What makes them able to pay more (or will they actually go bust because they are badly run)? Money isn't everything and you should consider the employment benefits you have built up where you are too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Quitting job for more money on 16:51 - Mar 23 with 5905 viewsmanchego

'notoriously better' doesn't mean anything.
Quitting job for more money on 16:54 - Mar 23 with 5892 viewsSpruceMoose

Quitting job for more money on 16:51 - Mar 23 by manchego

'notoriously better' doesn't mean anything.

Wrong.

It means everything.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Quitting job for more money on 17:51 - Mar 23 with 5808 viewsSarge

In what universe? They're gash.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024