Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
F1 06:04 - Mar 24 with 4098 viewsBenters2

WTF is that odd looking thingy on the cockpit all about?
F1 on 06:54 - Mar 24 with 4073 viewstcblue

Turns the front wheels mate
F1 on 07:05 - Mar 24 with 4060 viewsBenters2

F1 on 06:54 - Mar 24 by tcblue

Turns the front wheels mate

Thanks.
F1 on 08:01 - Mar 24 with 4020 viewsSitfcB

Safety shield called a 'halo'

[Post edited 24 Mar 2018 8:03]

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

F1 on 09:18 - Mar 24 with 3947 viewsfrenchblue

F1 equivalent of a cycle helmet
F1 on 09:25 - Mar 24 with 3937 viewsstrikalite

This is good, comparing a 2017 car to a 2018 car..

F1 on 10:20 - Mar 24 with 3881 viewswkj

Its to keep the refugees out of the cockpit, a source in the pits tell me they're working on a village green sized one for 2022

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

F1 on 10:34 - Mar 24 with 3872 viewsBasuco

F1 on 09:18 - Mar 24 by frenchblue

F1 equivalent of a cycle helmet

So it offers little protection and costs a fortune?
F1 on 11:25 - Mar 24 with 3843 viewsconnorscontract

Do you remember how Felipe Massa was injured?

It's an attempt at minimising the risk of bouncing detatched wheels or other debris hitting drivers. But it isn't 100% effective. F1 wanted to maximise safety while still keeping an open cockpit. It's an ugly compromise.
Login to get fewer ads

F1 on 11:34 - Mar 24 with 3836 viewstractorboy7777

F1 on 11:25 - Mar 24 by connorscontract

It's an attempt at minimising the risk of bouncing detatched wheels or other debris hitting drivers. But it isn't 100% effective. F1 wanted to maximise safety while still keeping an open cockpit. It's an ugly compromise.

The Jules Bianchi crash has also been a huge factor too

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

F1 on 11:41 - Mar 24 with 3822 viewsconnorscontract

F1 on 11:34 - Mar 24 by tractorboy7777

The Jules Bianchi crash has also been a huge factor too

Yes, legal action from Bianchi's family has definitely led to F1 wanting to be seen to do all it can and to be seen to be consulting with drivers at every step.

How much difference the Halo would have made to Bianchi is debatable. It could have made a huge difference for Massa (but, depending on angles of entry etc could have deflected the spring in a way which was more detrimental...).
F1 on 11:41 - Mar 24 with 3823 viewsstonojnr

F1 on 11:25 - Mar 24 by connorscontract

yes I do, and I still dont quite see how the halo protects against that particular type of incident, and what actually was an incredibly rare happenstance given the number of components/miles the cars cover on track. bouncing wheels are different

but how come Indycar have come up with a far more suitable solution

F1 tried the screen once and just dropped it in favour of this thing, which I guarantee as all 20 cars head into turn 3 tomorrow at racing speed possibly also in the wet...one of the drivers who crashes will say I didnt see so and so make their move because the halo blocked my view.

when you have to move start lights lower down, and even the pitstop traffic lights the teams use to an almost extreme angle in some cases, you are admitting the halo blocks the drivers full vision.
F1 on 12:32 - Mar 24 with 3789 viewsconnorscontract

F1 on 11:41 - Mar 24 by stonojnr

yes I do, and I still dont quite see how the halo protects against that particular type of incident, and what actually was an incredibly rare happenstance given the number of components/miles the cars cover on track. bouncing wheels are different

F1 tried the screen once and just dropped it in favour of this thing, which I guarantee as all 20 cars head into turn 3 tomorrow at racing speed possibly also in the wet...one of the drivers who crashes will say I didnt see so and so make their move because the halo blocked my view.

when you have to move start lights lower down, and even the pitstop traffic lights the teams use to an almost extreme angle in some cases, you are admitting the halo blocks the drivers full vision.

I agree. I was just explaining what it is. I see it as something implemented to be seen to be doing something after consultation with drivers, post-Bianchi. It's a lawyers compromise, and the visibility issue is surely a more dangerous problem.

It could have helped Massa, but it might have deflected the spring down into his visor rather than helmet (leading to more traumatic facial injuries and loss of blood) or worse into his neck potentially severing his artery or nerves.

Those two negative outcomes are less likely than it deflecting the spring up and over, but not impossible.

It's bouncing wheels where it could make a big difference.

But to sacrifice not just peripheral vision but also a chunk of central vision is bizarre.
F1 on 12:53 - Mar 24 with 3772 viewsBenters2

It looks crap,and is crap,its hard enough to see out of the cockpit without sticking that fkn stupid thing there!
F1 on 13:16 - Mar 24 with 3751 viewsconnorscontract

F1 on 12:53 - Mar 24 by Benters2

It looks crap,and is crap,its hard enough to see out of the cockpit without sticking that fkn stupid thing there!

I think you may have nailed the central issue there, Benters.
F1 on 15:35 - Mar 24 with 3682 viewsNo9

Indy car & F1 are two completely different types of racing
F1 on 16:59 - Mar 24 with 3633 viewsBenters2

F1 on 13:16 - Mar 24 by connorscontract

I think you may have nailed the central issue there, Benters.

Well it pissed me off,how many times does a driver get hit on the head anyway per season?Not that often i would say.

They havent tested it during a race,i bet its a fk up waiting to happen.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024