Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone on here going to this today? 08:54 - Mar 24 with 7082 viewsAnthony_Carmichael

Hope to see you there so I can laugh at you 😂😂😂😂

I'm guessing Factual and J2 (if he can get time off from his shop job) will be there with their wooly hats and a flasks of warm Soy Milk 😂

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/suffolk-eu-supporters-march-against-hard-brexi
Anyone on here going to this today? on 14:16 - Mar 24 with 2893 viewsGlasgowBlue

Anyone on here going to this today? on 12:12 - Mar 24 by connorscontract

Whilst you are correct that a democratic decision was made, the Referendum was a complete fck up by an incompetent Prime Minister.

So:

a) it was an advisory Referendum, and Parliamentary Sovereignty should therefore prevail.

b) it was a Referendum about the EU, not the Single Market. No spin from Rees-Mogg can change that fact.

c) the vote was extremely close, and to bring the nation together in the way your post suggests, it would have been much better if the Government had taken the line that we were withdrawing from the EU but not the Single Market, rather than allowing the Rees-Mogg fringe to dictate terms.

d) the demographics of the vote are such that by the time Brexit is implemented the majority of voting age will be against it. My 17 year old son will be 18 before March next year and has been completely disenfranchised by this process. His generation are in support of EU membership and will face the consequences of this decision for the whole of their working lives.

e) The Good Friday Agreement matters. It matters more than Rees-Mogg's hard-on for Blue Passports. It is utterly incompatible with leaving the Single Market. It needs to be thought about seriously. Sorry if it is boring.

f) It still can be stopped. I passionately believe in the EU as an imperfect force for good. As passionately as Farage believed in Brexit. He was allowed to speak whilst he was in the minority.

g) Putin. The real winner from Brexit. His goal is a weaker, divided Europe and there is strong evidence that he influenced the campaign. The situation with Russia has worsened considerably and in my mind when situations change it is sensible to reconsider major courses of action.

h) The NHS is facing a staffing crisis that threatens it's abililty to cope. Brexit has caused a flight of skilled immigrants, and it is reasonable to believe that this will continue or accelerate. We saw hospitals reach critical levels and shut down to new admissions this winter. This will become the new normal. Brexit is a factor. The NHS matters to me. Sorry if it is boring to oppose something which threatens the NHS.

i) The UK economy has been severely weakened by austerity and hasn't recovered as quickly as the other major EU economies from the 2008 crash. This is a spectacularly bad time to take a jump in the dark with our future.

j) Trump is just beginning a Trade War and implementing protectionist policies. A really bad time to leave the protection of a major trading Bloc. See "if major things change it is wise to reconsider".

k) Nowhere on the Referendum ballot form did it say "whatever additional clauses are added to this by the Government you have to shut up and accept them." We didn't vote for a "not to be discussed Brexit".

l) The electorate were denied the opportunity to put Brexit to the further test by Corbyn towing May's line at the General Election. And the General Election was about more than Brexit, anyway.

In short: the terms have changed, the world has changed, the break up of the United Kingdom is an increasing risk, and what is being proposed is not what people had the choice to support or reject in a Referendum which Putin influenced.

a.

b.

c.
Covered in b

d.
I completely agree with you. The referendum should have had the clause that a vote to leave must be at least 60/40. Younger people with a far greater stake in the future should have been given the vote. However, everyone knew the rules when the vote took place.

e.
An electronic customs border should solve the Irish border problem.

f.
Stopping a democratic vote used to be called facism.

g.
Nato is more important to the security of Europe than the EU.

h.
There are more EU migrants working in the NHS since the vote to leave.
in post 30 June 2016 / in post 30 June 2017
Doctors 9,695 / 10,136
Registrars 3,190 / 3,215
Trainee doctors (foundation years 1 and 2) 779 / 950
Nurses and health visitors 20,907 / 20,618
Midwives 1,220 / 1,247
Ambulance staff 250 / 386
Scientific/therapeutic/technical 6,112 / 6,957
Source: NHS Digital

i.
"The UK economy has been severely weakened by austerity and hasn't recovered as quickly as the other major EU economies from the 2008 crash."

j.
The perfect time to strike trade deals independently from he EU,including one with the USA. No longer at the back of the queue Mr Obama.

k.
What does that even mean?

l.
82% of those who voted in the general election voted for parties who put leaving the EU, the single market and the customs union in their manifestos.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Anyone on here going to this today? on 15:30 - Mar 24 with 2859 viewsNo9

The revelations now emerging about the relationship between Cambridge Analytica & UKIP / Leave are interesting.
Now the IC has managed to get access to CA & the Electoral Commission are investigating the campaign we should perhaps hope their investigations are not de-railed.
Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:02 - Mar 24 with 2838 viewsBenters2

on 13:37 - Mar 24 by _

I dont know anybody (in the flesh so to speak) who voted in.
Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:14 - Mar 24 with 2829 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone on here going to this today? on 13:02 - Mar 24 by connorscontract

You can't have one without the other...

So your two points boil down to:

"It said it was advisory, but it wasn't, and it said it was about only leaving the EU, (and not the Single Market which is a different entity entirely) but it wasn't."

I'm not backtracking on a technicality. This is a massive decision, with many unintended comsequences. The Referendum was only asking for the will of the people on a very specific question. It is therefore totally proper and democratic for me to ask for a further Referendum now the Government is proposing to take it much further. Especially as that threatens our economic prosperity and national security (Trump protectionism and Putin's actions).

Can I ask you:

When you voted Leave in the Referendum, did you intend for the British Government to break the Good Friday agreement?

I mean, I don't remember that being on the ballot paper, or being discussed in the campaign, but it may be one of those invisible things on the ballot paper that you could see and just know that that was meant, and any suggestion otherwise is backtracking on a technicality.

Your last paragraph is needlessly harsh IMO.

It might have been advisory in name but it was made very clear that the result would be acted upon so it clearly wasn't advisory in reality. Everyone knew this going into it.

Immigration was a big part of the leave campaign. I don't think it's really accurate to suggest that the single market (and everything that comes with it) were viewed in a different light by the majority of voters.

No I did not intend for them to break the Good Friday agreement.

Again, no argument on a second referendum. It needs to be fair though. If it was announced now the EU will give us nothing. It needs to be a proper and fair choice with both options fully mapped out.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:20 - Mar 24 with 2817 viewsm14_blue

Anyone on here going to this today? on 13:09 - Mar 24 by J2BLUE

I'm off to play golf, will answer later.

You're not fooling anyone, you went on that march didn't you?

Anthony's blown your cover.
Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:23 - Mar 24 with 2811 viewsBenters2

Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:20 - Mar 24 by m14_blue

Im telling you it was crazy golf down at Felixstowe.
Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:24 - Mar 24 with 2809 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:20 - Mar 24 by m14_blue

You got me. Benters was there too, draped in the EU flag with his face painted. He gave a brilliant and articulate speech about the benefits of immigration before urging the council to build houses on the village green to house them.

Truly impaired.

Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:27 - Mar 24 with 2800 viewsm14_blue

Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:24 - Mar 24 by J2BLUE

You got me. Benters was there too, draped in the EU flag with his face painted. He gave a brilliant and articulate speech about the benefits of immigration before urging the council to build houses on the village green to house them.

I knew it!
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:27 - Mar 24 with 2798 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:23 - Mar 24 by Benters2

Im telling you it was crazy golf down at Felixstowe.

That's about my level. I am crap.

Truly impaired.

Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:40 - Mar 24 with 2766 viewsBenters2

Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:24 - Mar 24 by J2BLUE

Oh go on have a uppie
on 21:09 - Mar 24 with 2690 views_

Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:02 - Mar 24 by Benters2

Anyone on here going to this today? on 21:36 - Mar 24 with 2669 viewsvapour_trail

Anyone on here going to this today? on 17:02 - Mar 24 by Benters2

That’s remarkable. You just live in a complete comfort blanket.

That does explain your complete snowflake behaviour on here.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Anyone on here going to this today? on 21:56 - Mar 24 with 2672 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Anyone on here going to this today? on 12:48 - Mar 24 by Benters2

Wait,wait i know this one!

The leftei bummer law on TWTD states that not all people who voted out are racists,yet all racists voted out.

Something like that.

leftie bummer law on twtd lol. So many reds on this board its surprising they haven't to tried to change the colour of our home shirts.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2018 21:58]

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

on 21:58 - Mar 24 with 2662 views_

Anyone on here going to this today? on 21:56 - Mar 24 by Jonnosdreadlocks

leftie bummer law on twtd lol. So many reds on this board its surprising they haven't to tried to change the colour of our home shirts.

Anyone on here going to this today? on 22:20 - Mar 24 with 2658 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone on here going to this today? on 21:56 - Mar 24 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Will you sign my petition to have a rainbow shirt?

#everyonewelcome #familyclub

Truly impaired.

Anyone on here going to this today? on 22:56 - Mar 24 with 2628 viewssyntaxerror

on 21:58 - Mar 24 by _

All we need is Pitboss and Pickles and we have a full house
(since Taxi and Crucher got banned)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024