Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) 10:42 - Mar 24 with 13976 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

......ok don't enjoy this too much some of you but....
She has received a tidy 6 figure sum but not enough to buy somewhere she/we would want to live. Any simple advice on where to park the money as this is totally out of our comfort zone. (Is it Govt bonds/premium bonds, any worthwhile bank accounts/are there really ethical funds ?). For the last couple of months it has earned precisely nothing, almost like we are pretending it is not there.
Was going to ask Stokie but he went and bloody left......

Other than investing in a sh1t load of drugs and/or sending it to the YPG any suggestions?

Edit......in light of the first couple of replies I have realised this could become the usual 'International break thread'......oh joy !
[Post edited 24 Mar 2018 15:25]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 15:18 - Mar 24 with 2415 viewsgiant_stow

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 14:33 - Mar 24 by sparks

One is catholic. The others are cofe. I remain firmly of the view that it is wrong for state schools to effectively sponsor religions at public expense, or to teach children religious assertions as if they were facts- in a place where children get their information on how the world works and trust their teachers to tell them things which are true and accurate.

It is particularly objectionable when all of the available schools are religous.

I remember having the debate with you ages back! The funny thing is that my own boy now goes to a pray three times a day Pentecostal school and while he's happy there, we have deep reservations about indoctrination! How times change. Child happiness vs parental principles.... No idea which will win.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 15:24 - Mar 24 with 2404 viewsBrixtonBlue

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 15:18 - Mar 24 by giant_stow

I remember having the debate with you ages back! The funny thing is that my own boy now goes to a pray three times a day Pentecostal school and while he's happy there, we have deep reservations about indoctrination! How times change. Child happiness vs parental principles.... No idea which will win.

I think you supporting Norwich is more of a potential problem for the poor lad.

One thing I've always wondered about Norwich supporters - do you avoid blue stuff (like I, for example, won't wear anything that's green and yellow)? That must be particularly difficult with a colour as popular as blue (and it being a traditional colour for boys).

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 15:27 - Mar 24 with 2400 viewsgiant_stow

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 15:24 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

I think you supporting Norwich is more of a potential problem for the poor lad.

One thing I've always wondered about Norwich supporters - do you avoid blue stuff (like I, for example, won't wear anything that's green and yellow)? That must be particularly difficult with a colour as popular as blue (and it being a traditional colour for boys).

The little one loves pink - wears pink sunglasses to school and strives through the teasing. I love blue - almost all my clothes are blue - my version of black.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 15:31 - Mar 24 with 2395 viewsBrixtonBlue

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 15:27 - Mar 24 by giant_stow

The little one loves pink - wears pink sunglasses to school and strives through the teasing. I love blue - almost all my clothes are blue - my version of black.

We know you love blue

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 15:32 - Mar 24 with 2395 viewsshoopdelang

Can't believe some people ( such as yourself ) post such personal information and look for help with serious life choices on this forum.
Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 15:33 - Mar 24 with 2391 viewsconnorscontract

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 14:17 - Mar 24 by sparks

You really ought to refrain frmo posting if you are going to make silly accusations based on innaccurate facts, and then firmly assert that they are "100% true".

There is not a single non church school in respect of which we fall in the relevant cactchment area. All 4 state schools which we would have had any real prospect of getting into are church schools.

You are therefore absolutely incorrect in your assertion that "others schools were available but not suitable"

I await your apology.

In the meantime, you should perhaps consider the meaning of hypocrisy as well- as your understanding appears rather narrow and innaccurate.

To take the stance that churches and religions really ought not to be given the ability to indocrinate young children at state expense is not actually in conflict with the idea of sending one's child to the best available school which, overall, will serve them best in the long term. Not that that is relevant given that all 4 available schools are church schools...

Hmm.

As a former Primary School Chair of Governors who has been through the Appeals process I understand this.

Your parental choice is important. As an avowed atheist your objection to church schools would have been grounds for an Appeal, if your children hadn't been offered a place based on distance. As a lawyer you would have destroyed whichever Deputy Head had been put up against you at the Appeal.

When we last discussed this you said the only suitable schools were church schools.

So it comes down to what you decided worked best for your family. Which is fair enough, but amusing considering your high-horsing on the matter.

Re hypocrisy: I'd say the nuance you are expressing in your final paragraph would find an analogy in a committed left winger like Archer seeking advice on ethical investment on behalf of his partner. The world isn't as many of us want it, if structural changes are impossible in the short term we all have to make conpromises and "next best" decisions.

Hugs and kisses, cc
Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 16:54 - Mar 24 with 2347 viewsJ2BLUE

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 12:50 - Mar 24 by LeoMuff

Only if j2 confirms no offence was taken

*quickly dries eyes*

N-no offence was t-taken

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 16:56 - Mar 24 with 2346 viewsSuperfrans

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 11:06 - Mar 24 by BlueBrittania

If it's six figures you are best getting some proper advice/investment fund to look after it. Hargreaves Lansdown are excellent for this, very professional, able to cater to ethical tastes etc.

Short of that, put as much as possible into an investment ISA, though again Hargreaves Lansdown would do that for you

Yes, this. Find someone you trust and get some proper advice. Pay no attention to people on here, especially those who are clearly jealous.

At my time of life (my fifties) I put any lump sums I get (such as bonuses) straight into my pension pot. This is on the basis that if I take it straight out now, I’d get taxed on it at my current level - if I put it into my pension I’d get to keep it all and it will be highly unlikely to be taxed at my current level when I draw it down in years to come. Plus, my pension pot is performing pretty well, certainly better than any reasonably modest risk investment.

That said, if I was in your position I would explore investing it in property somewhere. Even if you use it as a deposit and take on a small mortgage. But, as above, it depends where you are in your time of life and how long you have to see the benefits return to you.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 17:38 - Mar 24 with 2315 viewsGeoffSentence

Buy Champagne. Bottles of the sparkling wine rather than the region it is produced in.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 17:39 - Mar 24 with 2310 viewsGeoffSentence

Buy property, even if you need a small mortgage. Rent it out. Be a good landlord.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 17:48 - Mar 24 with 2304 viewsfergalsharkey

I could do with a few quid for a new ped if theres a litttle spare.
Could do with it quick for the epic that will take place next week at st andrews.

Poll: Cook out?

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 17:53 - Mar 24 with 2294 viewsJ2BLUE

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 17:48 - Mar 24 by fergalsharkey

Could do with it quick for the epic that will take place next week at st andrews.

Give it up. You've milked that BS story dry.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 18:23 - Mar 24 with 2275 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 17:48 - Mar 24 by fergalsharkey

Oh Fergal we already offered you her Dad's ped when your old one was still in Peterborough.....you missed the boat old chap !

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 18:37 - Mar 24 with 2261 viewsFootballpete

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 12:06 - Mar 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

Yes, I don’t agree with tightening up those payments either, but you’re looking at a very small section of society. What policies are forcing wages down for the low paid and increasing wealth at the top end?

Having a minimum wage at such a level that earnings need to be subsidised by working tax credits is essentially giving taxpayers money to the shareholders of huge companies.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 18:56 - Mar 24 with 2237 viewssparks

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 14:34 - Mar 24 by BrixtonBlue

"Priority". So could I assume you could've got in somewhere further afield but you wouldn't have been a priority? Not having a pop - genuinely don't know how these things work, not having kids myself.

It is conceivable but by no means certain we could get in somewhere else. But even if it were likely (which it wasnt) is it really in a child's interests to drive 7 miles back and forth every day, and put them in a school away from all the friends and kids they have around where they live?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 18:59 - Mar 24 with 2229 viewssparks

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 14:37 - Mar 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

I went to a CofE many years ago. The only mention of religion was the singing of a hymn at morning assembly. I doubt they even do that now.

What is your experience from your kids school?

There is routinely some sort of bible related work on the walls and my daughter has certainly been fed plenty of jesus stuff. I make a point of gently encouraging her to think critically about it and encourage her to reach her own views rather than just agree with what others think. Shouldnt have to.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 19:03 - Mar 24 with 2225 viewssparks

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 15:33 - Mar 24 by connorscontract

Hmm.

As a former Primary School Chair of Governors who has been through the Appeals process I understand this.

Your parental choice is important. As an avowed atheist your objection to church schools would have been grounds for an Appeal, if your children hadn't been offered a place based on distance. As a lawyer you would have destroyed whichever Deputy Head had been put up against you at the Appeal.

When we last discussed this you said the only suitable schools were church schools.

So it comes down to what you decided worked best for your family. Which is fair enough, but amusing considering your high-horsing on the matter.

Re hypocrisy: I'd say the nuance you are expressing in your final paragraph would find an analogy in a committed left winger like Archer seeking advice on ethical investment on behalf of his partner. The world isn't as many of us want it, if structural changes are impossible in the short term we all have to make conpromises and "next best" decisions.

Hugs and kisses, cc

I have always been absolutely clear that the schools in our catchment area are all church schools.

Could we have made great efforts to put our children in schools many miles away, where none of their friends and local kids are? We could. Would that have been in their best interests? No.

The point is that it is not a situation which should exist. I have yet to see anyone offer any sort of logical justification for why religion should have a special privileged place in state run, tax payer funded schools.

Unlike many religous folk, I am not dogmatic and do not take the view that because I dont agree with something, I muust cut off my nose to spite my face on some sort of pointless exercise of principle.

The idea however, that I actively chose a church school because I didnt fancy the others that were on offer, as you implied above, is simlpy untrue. Shame you dont have the dignity or decency to apologise for saying something that simply wasnt accurate and was actively misleading.

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 21:57 - Mar 24 with 2144 viewsdyalikedags

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 15:32 - Mar 24 by shoopdelang

Can't believe some people ( such as yourself ) post such personal information and look for help with serious life choices on this forum.

Agreed. Not really looking for advice let’s be honest, just a massive beg.
Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 22:08 - Mar 24 with 2129 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 21:57 - Mar 24 by dyalikedags

Agreed. Not really looking for advice let’s be honest, just a massive beg.

Thanks for the advice, did you get that Norwich ticket?

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 22:18 - Mar 24 with 2120 viewsClapham_Junction

One thing you could do is to use it to buy a property outright in an area that has a shortage of social housing (there are occasional properties in Ipswich for under £100k), then let it to a local social housing provider at nominal/peppercorn rent of £1 a year with an undertaking that they will return it to you in the same condition you gave it to them and will be responsible for maintenance etc whilst they have it.

I think Ipswich Borough Council have previously done this through the Housing Association Leasing Scheme (you have to agree to a fixed term lease).

The house will likely increase in value over the years (barring the occasional crash) at a higher rate than many other investments, and in the meantime you'll be helping house someone in rather acute need.
Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 22:41 - Mar 24 with 2100 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Mrs Slave has inherited some money.......! (Advice) on 22:18 - Mar 24 by Clapham_Junction

One thing you could do is to use it to buy a property outright in an area that has a shortage of social housing (there are occasional properties in Ipswich for under £100k), then let it to a local social housing provider at nominal/peppercorn rent of £1 a year with an undertaking that they will return it to you in the same condition you gave it to them and will be responsible for maintenance etc whilst they have it.

I think Ipswich Borough Council have previously done this through the Housing Association Leasing Scheme (you have to agree to a fixed term lease).

The house will likely increase in value over the years (barring the occasional crash) at a higher rate than many other investments, and in the meantime you'll be helping house someone in rather acute need.

Thanks, definitely one to look in to and suggest to her as a possibility. I showed her a 5 year abandoned place in the sticks near us that I stumbled upon earlier today and she loves it. It felt a little like a scene from the last series of 'The Detectorists' but I don't imagine this one will be going for 50k at the local auction! I shall be writing a letter to the estate owner on the off chance they want to give a pleb a break!
The practical problem is to park the money somewhere where it can be easily accessed if she finds somewhere and it does seem the likely answer will be N.S.I..
However I must say I like the sound of what you have suggested.
Thanks for all the genuine offers of advice, humorous other ones and PM.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024