Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... 19:09 - Mar 24 with 2039 viewssparks

(insert innuendo here).

I have just pretty much finished the restoration of a 1930s acoustic guitar which had been virtually vandalised by a repair person and was then sold to me as a project by a friend for the princely sum of £100. I've made a new bridge and saddle. Repaired the neck and constructed a new dovetail joint. Been on a day long course at a fine boutique guitar maker's workshop to learn to do good fretwork (wonderful way to spend a day). Today I have got the whole thing together, set it up, adjusted things and it plays nicely, sounds fantastic and looks pretty cute too.

Feels lovely.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... on 19:14 - Mar 24 with 2012 viewsKeno

does it play well?

whats the tone like compared to a new one?

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... on 19:18 - Mar 24 with 2005 viewssparks

Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... on 19:14 - Mar 24 by Keno

does it play well?

whats the tone like compared to a new one?

Tone is very specific- its a ladder braced guitar which inherently sounds different. More punchy, drier and often with a little less sustain (though this has plenty).

It plays just fine- I need to do a bit more work on the saddle to get the action down a little further.

I think it is actually that guitar in the picture- the markings on the fretboard are identical.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... on 19:42 - Mar 24 with 1971 viewsRyorry

V. well done - esp in the light of this! -

GrrRRRRRRR AAARRRRGGGHHHHHH. by sparks 11 Mar 2018 18:00
Spent hours. Bloody hours. hourshourshourshourshours. Making a new bridge for a guitar Im restoring. Been working on it for several weeks on and off.

Just routed out the slot in the middle of it. Didn't double check the depth measurement. Cut all the way through. Its now useless except as a template to make another on.

I dont suppose anyone cares at all- but I needed to vent.

Sorry.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... on 20:02 - Mar 24 with 1945 viewssparks

Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... on 19:42 - Mar 24 by Ryorry

V. well done - esp in the light of this! -

GrrRRRRRRR AAARRRRGGGHHHHHH. by sparks 11 Mar 2018 18:00
Spent hours. Bloody hours. hourshourshourshourshours. Making a new bridge for a guitar Im restoring. Been working on it for several weeks on and off.

Just routed out the slot in the middle of it. Didn't double check the depth measurement. Cut all the way through. Its now useless except as a template to make another on.

I dont suppose anyone cares at all- but I needed to vent.

Sorry.

hehe. Totally forgotten I'd posted that!

Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... on 20:51 - Mar 24 with 1908 viewsartsbossbeard

Sounds a bit like Triggers' broom..

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... on 21:06 - Mar 24 with 1885 viewsLord_Lucan

Didn’t you saw it in half the other week?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... on 21:21 - Mar 24 with 1854 viewssparks

Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... on 21:06 - Mar 24 by Lord_Lucan

Didn’t you saw it in half the other week?

Nope. Just routed through the bridge which I'd spent hours carving and sanding.

Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... on 22:12 - Mar 24 with 1811 viewssparks

Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... on 21:21 - Mar 24 by sparks

Nope. Just routed through the bridge which I'd spent hours carving and sanding.

For the record and to annoy callis.. nothing much worse than the smell of filing cutting and sanding bone for guitar parts.

Login to get fewer ads

Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... on 18:07 - Mar 30 with 1693 viewsBinner

Satisfaction is a good job, which takes time and effort, with one's own hands... on 22:12 - Mar 24 by sparks

For the record and to annoy callis.. nothing much worse than the smell of filing cutting and sanding bone for guitar parts.

I think Callis will reckon it is okay if you use your own bones!

Did you have to do much with the fret wires? The ones on my 'day' guitar (a cheapish instrument I carry in my lorry) are pretty well worn. I like the feel and sound the guitar makes but to spend a couple of hundred quid plus to refret is a lot when considering that the guitar is only worth that much. Maybe I'll see whether I can get them levelled though I suspect it is probably too late...

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024