Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Micksed feelings 12:08 - Mar 29 with 754 viewsHerbivore

I know, top bit of punning.

Genuinely though, I am feeling an odd mix of excitement and genuine sadness at Mick's departure being confirmed. 5 years is a long time in football and Mick is ingrained in the club now, it'll be strange seeing someone else at the helm. I think the last 18-24 months have led many people to forget the extent to which Mick genuinely did give us our club back, for a couple of years at least. Let's be real, Roy ripped the heart out of our club and Jewell flapped around in classic "Don't panic Mr Mainwaring" style with no plan or clue how to build us up again.

Mick inherited an absolute shower, a bunch of mercenaries on short term deals that even the good guys on short term deals were embarrassed to be associated with. He turned them round quickly and rebuilt us from the ground, the academy - which seemed to have been dormant for about 5 years - included and we now have some cracking youngsters in each generation. As a fan, I believed in my club again. The players actually cared, they gave 100% and winning in the blue of Ipswich seemed to mean something to them as well as us. The play off season was great, despite the revisionism that's been applied to it since. Charlton and Watford away, Skuse's wonder strike against Cardiff, Tommy's equalised at Carrow Road - these are the moments we live for as footy fans and we'd been starved of them for years.

In some ways Mick was a victim of his own success, with hindsight we over achieved and then failed to build, pocketing the Mings money at a time when wise spending was needed to keep us in the mix. Murphy leaving killed last season and ultimately the good will Mick had built up in previous seasons and despite glimmers of better to come this season, post-Xmas has reaffirmed why we all need a change. It's the hope that kills and too often under Mick we've dared to dream only to be disappointed. But let's remember that before he turned up our dreams were about trips to Accrington and Rochdale, and these dreams were far closer to our grasp.

It is absolutely the right time for him to go. The relationship with the fans has turned too much, irrespective of who is ultimately to blame for that (both sides could have handled themselves better). The football too often reverted to stale and turgid when under pressure and the good spells where it improved too often abandoned at the first sign of trouble. It has come to a natural end and that is right for both parties.

Thanks for everything Mick, you leave with my sincere thanks for giving your best and for actually doing a good job over the piece. We've had some great times in amongst the mediocrity and that is ultimately what I'll remember. You're a decent and honest man and I'm sure you'll do well elsewhere, just hopefully not when you come back to Portman Road. Cheers, Mick.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Micksed feelings on 12:10 - Mar 29 with 726 viewsGuthrum

Yeah, good summary.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Micksed feelings on 12:13 - Mar 29 with 707 viewsJ4ck22

Really well said. Part of me is sad about it, which can not be said about his two predecessors. That being said, it's the right move for everyone involved and I'll be thankful to Mick for saving us from a Paul Jewell-esque relegation and for the play-off season which gave us many great memories.

It's going to be an interesting summer for sure.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024