Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maurice Steijn 09:07 - Apr 1 with 5859 viewsJon_456

Not sure if this has been posted before but interesting interview with Maurice Steijn earlier in the season.

http://www.football-oranje.com/exclusive-interview-vvv-venlo-manager-maurice-ste

Two bits about wanting the right characters and developing youth players. Can’t help but feel he would be a good fit here.
Maurice Steijn on 09:41 - Apr 1 with 5684 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

Totally agree!
Maurice Steijn on 09:51 - Apr 1 with 5627 viewsKuqicoo

He's my top choice, but I'm not sure the top bods at our club would even know of him.

I think he would be such a change from the norm. A totally fresh start. A real 'outside the box' appointment.

So far though ME has gone for big names. I'm not sure if that'll change
Maurice Steijn on 09:59 - Apr 1 with 5586 viewsSWGF

He's won 7 matches out of 28 this season, scoring 31 goals in the process (only two teams in the Eredivisie have scored fewer).

Not quite "total football".

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Maurice Steijn on 10:00 - Apr 1 with 5569 viewsstig4532

I would love him here. Seems like he has a close connection with the VVV fans and no doubt would continue that here.

And he would know the Dutch market well. Would be good to scout their league. I know it's not the best league in Europe but there are some gems to be found.

VVV Venlo aren't mathematically safe yet, 10 points from the drop zone, so if he's on our list then ME would speak to him when they're safe.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2018 10:01]
Maurice Steijn on 10:04 - Apr 1 with 5530 viewssouthnorfolkblue

He would be a massive risk. Dutch league is no great shakes. I don’t understand what the fuss with this guy is tbh. It all seems to have stemmed from some dodgy internet rumour of a Dutch takeover.

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Maurice Steijn on 10:15 - Apr 1 with 5468 viewsstrikalite

Maurice Steijn on 10:04 - Apr 1 by southnorfolkblue

He would be a massive risk. Dutch league is no great shakes. I don’t understand what the fuss with this guy is tbh. It all seems to have stemmed from some dodgy internet rumour of a Dutch takeover.

Agree, not in my top five, you have to consider how incredibly tough the Championship is now, high press high intensity and to think a guy with no real experience first hand of this can come in from a league worlds apart certainly won't appeal to ME..
Maurice Steijn on 10:17 - Apr 1 with 5451 viewsBehindBlueEyes

Cheers for that.

Liked the line "I would look at the size of a club and the possibilities it offers and also the chance to project my vision there of giving young players a chance and helping players to develop and the club to grow.” Speaks regularly to some of the top managers in Holland, spent a week working with Jose and used to working on a tight budget too.

Would like to see him given the chance.

Blog: Kundai Benyu – The Golden Shot?

Maurice Steijn on 10:22 - Apr 1 with 5403 viewsbrogansnose

Maurice Steijn on 10:15 - Apr 1 by strikalite

Agree, not in my top five, you have to consider how incredibly tough the Championship is now, high press high intensity and to think a guy with no real experience first hand of this can come in from a league worlds apart certainly won't appeal to ME..

I dunno, Caravalho, Wagner made the transition really well and there has of course been disasters too. I think we need something more than tried and tested formthe usual circle of managers to reinvigorate the club and fans and that person could be from the lower leagues like Jones of Luton. If it goes wrong then it goes wrong but what we have at the moment is slow death.
Login to get fewer ads

Maurice Steijn on 10:23 - Apr 1 with 5391 viewsoneonmyknee

Maurice Steijn on 10:22 - Apr 1 by brogansnose

I dunno, Caravalho, Wagner made the transition really well and there has of course been disasters too. I think we need something more than tried and tested formthe usual circle of managers to reinvigorate the club and fans and that person could be from the lower leagues like Jones of Luton. If it goes wrong then it goes wrong but what we have at the moment is slow death.

absolutely
Maurice Steijn on 10:28 - Apr 1 with 5358 viewsstrikalite

Maurice Steijn on 10:22 - Apr 1 by brogansnose

Nathan Jones is in my top five, Paul Cook is another, not opposed to a younger guy with a freshness about him which lifts the Club, I'd like to see that too, just think this Steijn guy is a gamble too far for Evans, I also think someone right now winning football matches is really important, straight away you have respect from fans and also the players..
Maurice Steijn on 10:30 - Apr 1 with 5349 viewsITFC_Forever

Maurice Steijn on 09:59 - Apr 1 by SWGF

He's won 7 matches out of 28 this season, scoring 31 goals in the process (only two teams in the Eredivisie have scored fewer).

Really don’t get the hype about someone no-one has ever heard of.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Maurice Steijn on 10:31 - Apr 1 with 5341 viewsbrogansnose

Maurice Steijn on 10:23 - Apr 1 by oneonmyknee

absolutely

Something fresh has got to happen innit ? It s the only way back for all the fans and the playing staff. It can't carry on like it has been and thats nothing to do with getting rid of Mick. Appointing someone safe just carrys the whole charade on. Ffs, lets have some fun.
Maurice Steijn on 10:32 - Apr 1 with 5337 viewsMullet

Made this point last season to some degree, although he is the kind of choice I want because I think we just need an unknown coming in. This he's Dutch so he must be Muhren, Thijssen and the boys of '88 all in one is a bit frustrating.

He's also a very fiery character. If those who got teary at Mick come back then Stiejn booting people on the touchline might actually kill the poor little things off.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Maurice Steijn on 10:35 - Apr 1 with 5318 viewsSWGF

Maurice Steijn on 10:30 - Apr 1 by ITFC_Forever

I fully understand the desperation for something that's just perceived as being different from what we've got. And there's the romantic link to him being Dutch, so I get it.

Can anyone see Evans appointing anyone other than a middle-aged "Championship" manager? It'll just depend on the calibre of that *type* of manager, IMO.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Maurice Steijn on 10:41 - Apr 1 with 5266 viewsMullet

Maurice Steijn on 10:30 - Apr 1 by ITFC_Forever

Given the transformation of Mick in 5 years in terms of perception, I think it's essential really. The first sign of it going wrong and the rent-a-coach type ME will likely go for will be feeling the backlash.

Let's be honest here, the main thrust of the venom towards Mick came from the sense we'd not get promoted and stay in the Championship. It then descended into all about him for far too long and far too quickly.

You can't have people wanting plane banners, picnic baskets, statues and the like with all the weekly attempts to sign new songs etc and a year later the hatred and unrest being completely because of MM. The missing out of the playoffs made a few panic without doubt in my mind.

Maurice Steijn on 10:59 - Apr 1 with 5173 viewswitchdoctor

Maurice Steijn on 10:41 - Apr 1 by Mullet

Given the transformation of Mick in 5 years in terms of perception, I think it's essential really. The first sign of it going wrong and the rent-a-coach type ME will likely go for will be feeling the backlash.

Let's be honest here, the main thrust of the venom towards Mick came from the sense we'd not get promoted and stay in the Championship. It then descended into all about him for far too long and far too quickly.

You can't have people wanting plane banners, picnic baskets, statues and the like with all the weekly attempts to sign new songs etc and a year later the hatred and unrest being completely because of MM. The missing out of the playoffs made a few panic without doubt in my mind.

no...it was the type of football that was/ is being churned out that caused the backlash...all the smug Mick lovers said well if you don’t like it don’t attend..so we didn’t/ haven’t..I think he amount of folk who voted with their feet has come as a big suprise to those upstairs..so appaently the atmosphere at home games has turned toxic...and this from those who remained faithful to the club...
Maurice Steijn on 11:03 - Apr 1 with 5149 viewsMullet

Maurice Steijn on 10:59 - Apr 1 by witchdoctor

no...it was the type of football that was/ is being churned out that caused the backlash...all the smug Mick lovers said well if you don’t like it don’t attend..so we didn’t/ haven’t..I think he amount of folk who voted with their feet has come as a big suprise to those upstairs..so appaently the atmosphere at home games has turned toxic...and this from those who remained faithful to the club...

That just isn't true is it? Or else the football from 2012-2015 would have been an issue and remained so.

You can rewrite history all you like, but it's not correct to say that the football being churned out caused the backlash. It simply became a convenient focus once the possibility of 6th or above disappeared.

Let's not pretend Mick didn't pick up his own shovel at times, or this wasn't inevitable if you know anything about the bloke and his career, but it most definitely didn't come first or we wouldn't be here now.

Maurice Steijn on 11:07 - Apr 1 with 5116 viewsBetablocker

Maurice Steijn on 10:41 - Apr 1 by Mullet

Disagree - the main problem has been style and lack of and in latter days his handling if the fans being disgruntled. Largely grown out of point one
Maurice Steijn on 11:12 - Apr 1 with 5096 viewsMullet

Maurice Steijn on 11:07 - Apr 1 by Betablocker

Disagree - the main problem has been style and lack of and in latter days his handling if the fans being disgruntled. Largely grown out of point one

As above that's where it ended, not started.

I met witchdoctor when Hudds beat us at the start of 2017 I think it was, so it can't have been the style for him or others for that long surely? That's nearly 4.5 years of Mick's style give or take.

It also puts paid to the myth he never evolved or changed it in his time here. Which means the shift from 6th to 7th and onwards not playing a factor doesn't make sense. The scum jibe about 15 years in the championship reflected this too in a way, it definitely caused a lot of discussion.

Maurice Steijn on 11:17 - Apr 1 with 5065 viewsnoggin

To be fair, anyone is going to be a massive risk.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Maurice Steijn on 11:58 - Apr 1 with 4939 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Maurice Steijn on 11:17 - Apr 1 by noggin

To be fair, anyone is going to be a massive risk.

You’re right to a degree. Any appointment is a risk, but a complete unknown is a bigger one. He could be next Wagner. He could also be the next Farke. Personally I want somebody that knows English football.

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Maurice Steijn on 12:05 - Apr 1 with 4908 viewsDarth_Koont

Maurice Steijn on 11:58 - Apr 1 by southnorfolkblue

You’re right to a degree. Any appointment is a risk, but a complete unknown is a bigger one. He could be next Wagner. He could also be the next Farke. Personally I want somebody that knows English football.

I think there's also the need to see the manager's position as first team manager and director of football rolled into one. Evans lets his manager get on with it and Milne pretty much restricts himself to commercial/operational matters, so there's a big gap to fill.

Doesn't rule out a younger, less experienced manager or someone without specific insight into English league football but if there are any obvious gaps perhaps they'll need to think about two appointments. Which might be a good idea anyway — if there's someone else around to take responsibility and questions about other stuff it might take some of the heat off the first team manager.

Pronouns: He/Him

Maurice Steijn on 12:12 - Apr 1 with 4873 viewsPhilTWTD

Was a dodgy rumour which bemused Portman Road insiders and seemed to have no basis but the takeover aspect was merely an extension of the original rumour.
Maurice Steijn on 12:20 - Apr 1 with 4831 viewsTaricco_Fan

To put this is context...

VVV Venlo are a small club by Eredivisie standards. They've spent much more time in the second division over the past few decades so the club is doing quite well to be 12th with a ten point cushion from the relegation play-offs. Steijn won the second division last year and it looks like Eredivisie status is safe this year so he's doing a good job.

That's said, Steijn would be a huge risk but I certainly wouldn't be averse to taking a chance on a foreign coach with fresh ideas over the same old faces on the English managerial merry-go-round.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024