Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... 11:10 - Apr 1 with 3296 viewsHarryfromBath

I'm not sure if everyone picks up on blogs, so please forgive my putting this essay on Mick's departure up on the forum. I have just highlighted three areas where I feel that Mick management style helped hasten his exit from the club...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celebrity adulation has never ceased to fascinate me. On so many occasions working in the book trade I have seen readers walking up to a beloved author with trepidation to get a book signed with the author smiling benignly at a stranger who feels they have a deep connection with them.

If this seems rather odd, think of what it must be like for football managers. Replace beloved readers for a thousand or so passionate supporters lacking patience and perspective, many with only a basic and tangential knowledge of playing the game, and you are in an irrational world most of the time.

As a Dubliner with a deep admiration for Mick following his 2002 World Cup exploits and with a sad enthusiasm for small tactical details, his arrival at Ipswich in 2012 was delightful. Press conferences were littered with pearls of wisdom and his small tactical adjustments during games were manna from heaven. I was secretly and romantically hoping for a successful cup run and a statue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three things marked out Mick’s management style. He was intuitively strong at spotting and quickly nullifying opposition threats and dangers, often making switches or substitutions within seconds as he had anticipated an opposing manager's chess moves. The prioritising of the elimination of risk was vital in his early days as a chaotically inherited team needed organising and structure.

The concept of control was a strong motif in his world both on and off the pitch. His paternalistic style quickly became apparent, and when I brought my partner to watch our Jonny Williams-inspired win over Derby in 2014, she noted how tactical discipline played an over-arching role in the side’s make-up, with only Williams and Stephen Hunt expressing their personality with any great freedom.

The control paradigm stretched into the close collegiate world of his dressing room. I have heard ex-players talk time and again about creating strong bonds of trust on the pitch, and this was pivotal in Mick’s thinking. It was also possible to be excluded from this world. The departures of Michael Chopra and JET were unsurprising and we all nodded knowingly when Cameron Stewart was quietly sidelined.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little did we realise at the time but it was also possible for fans to be excluded from this close-knit world. The first obvious instances were Mick’s disagreements with supporters after the August 2016 defeat at Brentford and the drawn Norwich game at Portman Road two weeks later. I remember being horrified about the Brentford incident in particular but it was to be the start of a pattern.

As other teams overtook us and the football stagnated in the 2016/17 season, there was a growing schism between Mick and an increasing proportion of the fanbase. Every so often there would be an emetic release such as after the humiliation at Lincoln in the FA Cup. The fanbase also grew ever more divided with the manager’s approach becoming as defensive off the pitch as the teams on it.

It has to be said that our growing relative weakness on the pitch in the division didn’t help. As we declined in status from promotion hopefuls, the former certainties of being organised and efficient took hold. We reverted to a grim version of the unbalanced team Mick reshaped after his arrival, getting safe and grinding out results. Nullifying opponents became the objective in many games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mick’s growing hostility to the fans was a shock in the 2016/17 season and it established a pattern which really took hold in this campaign, alienating an increasing proportion of the wider and more patient fanbase. Looking back now, I believe his foul-mouthed outburst after our win at Burton in October drove an immovable wedge between him and the supporters and sealed his fate.

“Bobby Robson would have turned in his grave if he thought that any Town manager would speak like that.” It wasn’t just middle-of-the-road fans who were confused by now. Loyal diehards such as myself felt that we were getting the Cameron Stewart treatment. The gently inquisitive local press was being treated with defensiveness, suspicion and occasional hostility as the weeks went by.

Things came to a head around the Sheffield United and Hull games this month, but the outcome was inevitable in hindsight. In a game which was crying out for an Ian Holloway approach, Mick decided to take the cautious route against the Blades — matching up opponents and stopping them playing — as one poster described it this weekend, trying to mug a 1-0 win built on solid heroic defending.

The wins over Watford and Aston Villa will linger long in the memory, but you cannot build a play-off or promotion campaign on these foundations. It felt like Mick had given up on promotion when the supporters had not, and it also felt as if his circling the wagons on the pitch after the Hull defeat was the moment he lost the remaining fans. He didn’t lose the dressing room, but he lost everyone else.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This potential divide between the dressing room and the supporters is a source of profound danger. One of the most telling moments in Thursday’s press conference was Mick’s reflexive “absolutely” when asked if Bart or Jonas might rethink renewing their contracts. In Mick’s thinking, they were in his world and not ours, so why should they be loyal to the club or its supporters?

I felt that the other telling and related moment in that conference was when he highlighted the pattern of decline and relegation after he left previous clubs, but this may not be a surprise given how his approach here mirrored his time both at Wolves and Sunderland. I ran my thinking past fans of both clubs and it wasn’t long before they were finishing sentences for me.

The arc of Mick’s time here will be repeated at his next club. He is a brilliant football man who will panel-beat a team into shape, get them organised and win the crowd. Once the cold winds of adversity start to blow again, I fear that a fatal combination of a desire to control everything on and off the pitch coupled with the growing exclusion of anyone perceived to be against him is a toxic blend that will always doom him to failure.

That's a fair pile of assumptions you've jumped to there.....
Poll: Who Do You Think Will Win The Championship Play-offs?
Blog: How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure

How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 15:34 - Apr 1 with 3015 viewsPinewoodblue

Bump.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 15:41 - Apr 1 with 2990 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Your final paragraph sums it up pretty well, Harry.

I do wonder if, given proper funding, that might be after promotion (as per Sunderland and Wolves) in his next role.

His time was clearly up but I am nervous which way the new manager will tip things.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 16:04 - Apr 1 with 2944 viewsSwn98

A sad but true precise of Micks time at Portman Rd. well done Harry as per usual.
How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 16:08 - Apr 1 with 2932 viewsHennikerBlu

Very good Blog.

Interestingly, in his after match interview yesterday, it seems to suggest how he feels here is unique compared to how he has departed from other clubs.

Having, spent an evening with Wolves fans in the Mermaid after we last played them clearly it is not. They were also divided on him, whilst feeling that he had steadied the ship, they equally became frustrated by the way he would play the percentages all the time, particularly v WBA, their derby game.

The Hull game huddle was very misjudged and further antagonised the fans by suggesting a siege mentality. I don't agree with the stick he has received, particularly from a section of the NS, however, he has not been getting support either from the other stands and the loudest voice of all is the empty seats.

His behaviour and comments in respect of the players, which are under contract to the club, is, for me, unprofessional and seems to be aimed deliberately to further unsettle the fans. The counter to this will be that he is just being honest, but you cant have that both ways, as you rightly point out he is less open when talking about other aspects of the playing staff, which I respect up to a point.

I sincerely hope we can start to unite as a fan base.
How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 16:58 - Apr 1 with 2812 viewsnshearman1

Hugely perceptive piece Harry. I do fear that Mick’s presence over the next 7 games will damage things further rather than effect a smooth transition.
How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 22:31 - Apr 1 with 2569 viewsGuthrum

How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 15:34 - Apr 1 by Pinewoodblue

Bump.

Indeed.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 03:13 - Apr 2 with 2345 viewsharlingblue

Excellent summary, as expected from you Harry.
For me, MM saved us from relegation when first appointed, we thank him wholeheartedly for that, but he put the first wedge in against the fans, in the only season that he was successful, the year that we made the play-offs.
Riding high in the table and playing well, he then decided to make 11 changes for a Cup game, away to Manchester United, 8000 Ipswich Town supporters made that trip, I bet a great number of that 1st team were just as disappointed as us to miss out on that game?
We have never been the same after that, the bond was lost. It was MM's team not ours.
Total disrespect to Phil Ham representing TWTD during club interviews, did not go unnoticed, and we as supporters do 'give a flying f..k' about what is going on at OUR CLUB.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2018 3:47]
How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 03:25 - Apr 2 with 2339 viewspointofblue

How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 03:13 - Apr 2 by harlingblue

For me, MM saved us from relegation when first appointed, we thank him wholeheartedly for that, but he put the first wedge in against the fans, in the only season that he was successful, the year that we made the play-offs.
Riding high in the table and playing well, he then decided to make 11 changes for a Cup game, away to Manchester United, 8000 Ipswich Town supporters made that trip, I bet a great number of that 1st team were just as disappointed as us to miss out on that game?
We have never been the same after that, the bond was lost. It was MM's team not ours.
Total disrespect to Phil Ham representing TWTD during club interviews, did not go unnoticed, and we as supporters do 'give a flying f..k' about what is going on at OUR CLUB.

Just to be picky we didn’t play Manchester United in the FA Cup; we went out to Southampton after a replay in 2014/2015. The United game was in the League Cup in 2015/2016.

For me it started to unravel at Ewood Park in the Play Off season - facing a team with nothing to play for we basically imploded and had to rely on Derby’s annual capitulation to sneak into sixth. When a promotion chasing side couldn’t even lift themselves to beat a mid table team with nothing to play for then something is amiss.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 03:50 - Apr 2 with 2328 viewsharlingblue

How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 03:25 - Apr 2 by pointofblue

Just to be picky we didn’t play Manchester United in the FA Cup; we went out to Southampton after a replay in 2014/2015. The United game was in the League Cup in 2015/2016.

For me it started to unravel at Ewood Park in the Play Off season - facing a team with nothing to play for we basically imploded and had to rely on Derby’s annual capitulation to sneak into sixth. When a promotion chasing side couldn’t even lift themselves to beat a mid table team with nothing to play for then something is amiss.

I have corrected my post from FA Cup game to Cup game, but you get my drift?
How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 05:28 - Apr 2 with 2295 viewsBenters2

How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 03:13 - Apr 2 by harlingblue

This
How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 05:36 - Apr 2 with 2291 viewstextbackup

How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 03:25 - Apr 2 by pointofblue

that game was exactly the same for me, and since then we've not won a single "big" game (derby games etc)
i think MM is just a negative guy, and this will rub off on players, put doubts in their minds, so often its felt like he'd just take 0-0 away from home when a bit of positivity could have seen us take all 3.
bit of a bottle job

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 07:36 - Apr 2 with 2225 viewsPinewoodblue

How Mick McCarthy Accelerated His Own Departure... on 05:36 - Apr 2 by textbackup

that game was exactly the same for me, and since then we've not won a single "big" game (derby games etc)
i think MM is just a negative guy, and this will rub off on players, put doubts in their minds, so often its felt like he'd just take 0-0 away from home when a bit of positivity could have seen us take all 3.
bit of a bottle job

It had also felt as if he has been happy to take a 0-0 at Portman Road.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024