Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Love this by Burley 07:48 - Apr 4 with 21106 viewschiddley

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/burley-says-ipswich-should-go-and-get-mowbray-from-b

Poll: The best joke petition of the last few days

Love this by Burley on 07:54 - Apr 4 with 8905 viewsHerbivore

Nice sentiment, though to some extent highlights how out of touch he is with the Championship as it currently is.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Love this by Burley on 07:55 - Apr 4 with 8888 viewsSteve_M

Indeed, just reading that shows exactly what Evans and Milne lack - any real affinity for the club.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Love this by Burley on 08:03 - Apr 4 with 8820 viewsBluebell

I love the way players from that era come back to Ipswich, even though they have played elsewhere, and still support the team.

It must be hard for them to see what is happening at Town at the moment.

I wonder how many of the more recent players will feel the same after they have finished playing?
Love this by Burley on 08:04 - Apr 4 with 8815 viewschristiand

Love this by Burley on 07:54 - Apr 4 by Herbivore

Nice sentiment, though to some extent highlights how out of touch he is with the Championship as it currently is.

Not really. He is a football man not like any of us who are supporters looking in. Things can be achieved, but many of us seem to accept that there is a glass ceiling now at our club. I'm pleased someone like him has said something, especially as he is someone that has both played and managed at our club and appreciates the expectations and traditions. Basically, the fundamentals never change.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Love this by Burley on 08:04 - Apr 4 with 8801 viewsHerbivore

Love this by Burley on 08:04 - Apr 4 by christiand

Not really. He is a football man not like any of us who are supporters looking in. Things can be achieved, but many of us seem to accept that there is a glass ceiling now at our club. I'm pleased someone like him has said something, especially as he is someone that has both played and managed at our club and appreciates the expectations and traditions. Basically, the fundamentals never change.

Okay mate, if you want to believe that.

Love this by Burley on 08:09 - Apr 4 with 8766 viewschristiand

Love this by Burley on 08:04 - Apr 4 by Herbivore

I do! If GB had the current Ipswich squad for a fortnight he'd have them playing better football, that's because he knows and understands how do it. MM simply doesn't, although I know you like to believe otherwise Herbivore - and nearly 6 years later we are still waiting.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Love this by Burley on 08:13 - Apr 4 with 8732 viewstractorboy1978

I agree that the division has undoubtedly moved on since he was here - the money floating about at other clubs isn't even comparable. He's spot on about philosophy though, I don't really know what you believe the alternative is?
Love this by Burley on 08:17 - Apr 4 with 8713 viewsHarry_Palmer

Yeah, expecting somebody to achieve what he did with no money in today's championship is pretty much asking for the impossible. That said it is a nice piece and certainly shows how much he cares for the club.

I do agree with him about re-establishing our identity / philosophy and also his main point about going out there and trying to get Mowbray. The big question is, would he come here with what he is about to achieve at Blackburn? Unless we are going to double his money I would have to think it is a long shot.
Login to get fewer ads

Love this by Burley on 08:23 - Apr 4 with 8662 viewsReuser_is_God

Love this by Burley on 08:17 - Apr 4 by Harry_Palmer

Yeah, expecting somebody to achieve what he did with no money in today's championship is pretty much asking for the impossible. That said it is a nice piece and certainly shows how much he cares for the club.

I do agree with him about re-establishing our identity / philosophy and also his main point about going out there and trying to get Mowbray. The big question is, would he come here with what he is about to achieve at Blackburn? Unless we are going to double his money I would have to think it is a long shot.

He’s not saying that.

He’s saying we should adopt his approach to how we play the game. No one can disagree with that.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Love this by Burley on 08:27 - Apr 4 with 8605 viewsVic

Those are EXACTLY the sort of message we all want to hear coming out of the club.

Why on earth doesn’t ME go and invite him on board in some capacity to advise him!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Love this by Burley on 08:33 - Apr 4 with 8549 viewsnsblu1

Shut up you massive wetwipe
Love this by Burley on 08:34 - Apr 4 with 8549 viewsJohnny_Boy

Your negativity is very odd. Usually you can see the positivity in every dour decision made by Mick, but you can't agree with what Burley is trying to say?

Burley has a point.

Not having a dig at you per se. Please don't think I am.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 8:36]
Love this by Burley on 08:36 - Apr 4 with 8514 viewsnsblu1

Love this by Burley on 08:34 - Apr 4 by Johnny_Boy

Your negativity is very odd. Usually you can see the positivity in every dour decision made by Mick, but you can't agree with what Burley is trying to say?

Burley has a point.

Bitter aint he... Mick inner!
Love this by Burley on 08:38 - Apr 4 with 8495 viewsJohnny_Boy

Love this by Burley on 08:36 - Apr 4 by nsblu1

Bitter aint he... Mick inner!

In all fairness, the dull football & untenable chippiness from Mick finally forced him to admit his time was over.
Love this by Burley on 08:40 - Apr 4 with 8454 viewstextbackup

Mr ambition has woken up.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Love this by Burley on 08:41 - Apr 4 with 8449 viewsHarry_Palmer

Love this by Burley on 08:23 - Apr 4 by Reuser_is_God

He’s not saying that.

He’s saying we should adopt his approach to how we play the game. No one can disagree with that.

That kind of is what he is saying, albeit he realises it would be a slow building process.

I'd certainly like to see the club have a go though, but this would be a high risk strategy because we could get worse before we get better. Does today's fan base have the patience?

Burley added: “I want people to believe in this club. And I want people to believe it can still be ambitious, even in the current financial landscape, because it can be done. I’ve seen it. I’ve done it myself.

“It really gets to me when people keep saying Ipswich are over-achieving and that just staying in the Championship is a success. This is still my club, still a big club and I want to see a little bit more ambition about it.
Love this by Burley on 08:44 - Apr 4 with 8404 viewsHerbivore

Love this by Burley on 08:09 - Apr 4 by christiand

I do! If GB had the current Ipswich squad for a fortnight he'd have them playing better football, that's because he knows and understands how do it. MM simply doesn't, although I know you like to believe otherwise Herbivore - and nearly 6 years later we are still waiting.

He might well get us playing better football, not sure the results would improve much though. Since Burley's success with us and even since his last decent spell managing at this level the league has changed massively. The gap between the sides coming down and the bankrolled big spenders and the rest of us is huge now, it used to be a much more level playing field. The stuff about having a philosophy and building is great but managers aren't given the time to do that now generally and the toughness of the league means that throwing 4 or 5 kids in at once will probably see you relegated and the more talented youngsters poached from you. Modern football is rubbish but there's no point pretending that things haven't changed just because we'd all like that to be the case.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 8:50]

Love this by Burley on 08:51 - Apr 4 with 8334 viewsSuperfrans

It’s a lovely ambition, can’t imagine anyone would argue against it.

But it’s the managerial equivalent of the much derided first interview that so many players give - “it’s a huge club”, “sleeping giant”, “fantastic facilities” , “always been my ambition to play at a club like this”, “fell in love with the area as soon as I was driven through the Suffolk countryside”, “the boys have welcomed me with open arms” etc etc....

The irony is, having just painted that highly optimistic picture, of young players romping across a pristine pitch, on low salaries, but challenging all-comers with their free-flowing football, in the Ipswich way, and rising to the heights of European competition - he may just have set the bar so high, raised the expectation levels, that Mowbray wouldn’t dream of coming here...

😂😂😂😂
[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 8:52]

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Love this by Burley on 08:52 - Apr 4 with 8317 viewsmaccyd9

Love this by Burley on 08:44 - Apr 4 by Herbivore

He might well get us playing better football, not sure the results would improve much though. Since Burley's success with us and even since his last decent spell managing at this level the league has changed massively. The gap between the sides coming down and the bankrolled big spenders and the rest of us is huge now, it used to be a much more level playing field. The stuff about having a philosophy and building is great but managers aren't given the time to do that now generally and the toughness of the league means that throwing 4 or 5 kids in at once will probably see you relegated and the more talented youngsters poached from you. Modern football is rubbish but there's no point pretending that things haven't changed just because we'd all like that to be the case.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 8:50]

But at Ipswich they do get the time. That's clearly been the case so not accurate at all.

That you supported Mick to the end yet dismiss Burley's comments is baffling in the extreme.
Love this by Burley on 08:53 - Apr 4 with 8312 viewstextbackup

Love this by Burley on 08:41 - Apr 4 by Harry_Palmer

That kind of is what he is saying, albeit he realises it would be a slow building process.

I'd certainly like to see the club have a go though, but this would be a high risk strategy because we could get worse before we get better. Does today's fan base have the patience?

Burley added: “I want people to believe in this club. And I want people to believe it can still be ambitious, even in the current financial landscape, because it can be done. I’ve seen it. I’ve done it myself.

“It really gets to me when people keep saying Ipswich are over-achieving and that just staying in the Championship is a success. This is still my club, still a big club and I want to see a little bit more ambition about it.

I’m glad he sees what many of the fans see.and won’t just accept this is all we are good for.
It’s almost like some of our other fans wouldn’t deserve promotion if it happened because they are so pathetically accepting the current situation

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Love this by Burley on 08:54 - Apr 4 with 8306 viewsSWGF

Love this by Burley on 08:51 - Apr 4 by Superfrans

It’s a lovely ambition, can’t imagine anyone would argue against it.

But it’s the managerial equivalent of the much derided first interview that so many players give - “it’s a huge club”, “sleeping giant”, “fantastic facilities” , “always been my ambition to play at a club like this”, “fell in love with the area as soon as I was driven through the Suffolk countryside”, “the boys have welcomed me with open arms” etc etc....

The irony is, having just painted that highly optimistic picture, of young players romping across a pristine pitch, on low salaries, but challenging all-comers with their free-flowing football, in the Ipswich way, and rising to the heights of European competition - he may just have set the bar so high, raised the expectation levels, that Mowbray wouldn’t dream of coming here...

😂😂😂😂
[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 8:52]

Is he not expanding on Evans’ own five point plan?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Love this by Burley on 08:54 - Apr 4 with 8297 viewsITFC_Forever

Burley has spoken more sense in one article than most others have in months.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Love this by Burley on 08:59 - Apr 4 with 8249 viewsSuperfrans

Love this by Burley on 08:34 - Apr 4 by Johnny_Boy

Burley has a point.

I think we can all understand what Burley is trying to stay. Of course he loves the club, he has lived and breathed it for so much of his career. But we should take it with a pinch of salt. Burley hasn’t managed for 8 years, has had 18 months in the Championship 10 years ago. The game has changed.

There is a lot to agree with in what he says - it’s about time we were adventurous as a club, had the courage to aim for more than mid-table in the Championship. But we are a mid-table Championship club now, in a world where finances dominate much more than they did 10, 15, 20 years ago.

Don’t forget also, it could be argued that it was Burley’s ambition getting ahead of him that resulted in our relegation from the Premiership and subsequent administration. There are consequences.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Love this by Burley on 09:01 - Apr 4 with 8216 viewsHerbivore

Love this by Burley on 08:52 - Apr 4 by maccyd9

But at Ipswich they do get the time. That's clearly been the case so not accurate at all.

That you supported Mick to the end yet dismiss Burley's comments is baffling in the extreme.

That last sentence is bizarre and highlights why this place is awful at the moment. I support the team regardless, as for Mick I said he should go last summer and have said for the last 3-4 months that he should go this summer too. The fact that if you point out that he did a good job overall or defend him against the rabid abuse leads people to think you're a Mick fan rather than a Town fan is sad and pathetic really.

I also don't see any relation between my stance on Mick - that he should go but has done well overall - has anything to do with my views on Burley's comments. I said it was a nice sentiment, which it is. Whether what he's saying is genuinely achievable in the Championship as it currently is is another matter altogether. This is part of the problem with our fan base, they don't want to accept the realities of life in the Championship so words like Burley's eventually become a stick to beat the new manager with when he's not got us promoted in 2 years playing free flowing football with half the side being home grown. I'm all for us having a philosophy and playing better football and bringing the kids through, but the reality is that such an approach coupled with our budget is at least as likely to end up in going down as it is to going up.

Love this by Burley on 09:02 - Apr 4 with 8204 viewsHerbivore

Love this by Burley on 08:53 - Apr 4 by textbackup

I’m glad he sees what many of the fans see.and won’t just accept this is all we are good for.
It’s almost like some of our other fans wouldn’t deserve promotion if it happened because they are so pathetically accepting the current situation

Jesus. Just listen to yourself.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024