Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How George is not involved with th Club 08:56 - Apr 4 with 3785 viewsnorfsufblue

In some way i find extremely disappointing. If there is on guy left who could truly piece this whole thing back together its him. Im not talking about as manager (but we could do worse)... I'm sure he learnt a lot under Sheepy and can't believe he wouldn't utilise that man's knowledge anyway... I rather back a Burley/Sheepy 5 year plan than a Milne one!
How George is not involved with th Club on 08:57 - Apr 4 with 3778 viewsSwailsey

Hasn’t he had health problems which may have stopped him in the past?

I agree though, I’d like to see him here in some capacity.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

How George is not involved with th Club on 09:10 - Apr 4 with 3722 viewsEastKentBlue

What has become very clear is Ian Milne is not a football man and certainly not an MD. He is an Operations Manager at best. We need a Director of Football to create the football strategy aligned to the business model/budget provided. Burley would be the perfect choice for this.

Mogga - Manager, Venus Assistant, and lets promote Kieron Dyer to First Team Coach.

It would unite the fans but more importantly it would rebuild the 'Ipswich Way' and lay the foundations on no one personality being bigger than the club.
How George is not involved with th Club on 09:16 - Apr 4 with 3669 viewsSuperfrans

This is fantasy land. He hasn’t been a manager for 8 years and he was sacked in 2001 because we didn’t think he could get us promoted with a team of just former Premier league players. What makes us think he could do anything with us again?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

How George is not involved with th Club on 09:37 - Apr 4 with 3605 viewsWD19

How George is not involved with th Club on 09:10 - Apr 4 by EastKentBlue

What has become very clear is Ian Milne is not a football man and certainly not an MD. He is an Operations Manager at best. We need a Director of Football to create the football strategy aligned to the business model/budget provided. Burley would be the perfect choice for this.

Mogga - Manager, Venus Assistant, and lets promote Kieron Dyer to First Team Coach.

It would unite the fans but more importantly it would rebuild the 'Ipswich Way' and lay the foundations on no one personality being bigger than the club.

Are Burley and Dyer on speaking terms?

Genuine question, as having read KD book this week, I was surprised at the apparent level of animosity towards GB.
How George is not involved with th Club on 09:45 - Apr 4 with 3554 viewsTractorWood

Teary eyed nostalgia aside he's not really been involved in football for 6/7 years and that was in Cyprus (I think?). Important part of our history and has contributed to the club massively but not sure his involvement would change anything drastically with Evans still running the till.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

How George is not involved with th Club on 09:50 - Apr 4 with 3526 viewsdavblue

How George is not involved with th Club on 09:37 - Apr 4 by WD19

Genuine question, as having read KD book this week, I was surprised at the apparent level of animosity towards GB.

I know Mowbray wasn't a fan of GB when he was coaching with us as he felt he was being held back by Burley.

Had that from a fairly good source at the time he was there.
How George is not involved with th Club on 10:05 - Apr 4 with 3470 viewsBasuco

I believe he is at many if not most home games up in the directors box.
How George is not involved with th Club on 10:43 - Apr 4 with 3390 viewsEastKentBlue

How George is not involved with th Club on 09:16 - Apr 4 by Superfrans

This is fantasy land. He hasn’t been a manager for 8 years and he was sacked in 2001 because we didn’t think he could get us promoted with a team of just former Premier league players. What makes us think he could do anything with us again?

Should we just accept another 'experienced' manager like Pardew then?

Burley in as a DoF could work as he can use his experience of being a coach, bringing youth through and how we can build a sustainable model for this and selling players off where necessary. So when it comes to a new coaching team, the structure and strategy is in place.

He has worked with some decent clubs and has international experience (before someone shoots that down - no one has done well with Scotland since Craig Brown).

The key piece is creating a new sustainable structure and strategy with youth and young lower league players, playing decent football at the core, Burley is a mere figure to symbolise the Ipswich way, it could be someone else, but don't know who.
Login to get fewer ads

How George is not involved with th Club on 10:47 - Apr 4 with 3375 viewsSwansea_Blue

How George is not involved with th Club on 08:57 - Apr 4 by Swailsey

Hasn’t he had health problems which may have stopped him in the past?

I agree though, I’d like to see him here in some capacity.

Very diplomatically put.

Agreed though - it would be a nice link. Or someone like him who could be the club football man on the ground. I guess ME has always wanted the manager to oversee everything though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How George is not involved with th Club on 11:42 - Apr 4 with 3300 viewstrncbluearmy

How George is not involved with th Club on 09:37 - Apr 4 by WD19

Really good read, apart from the terrible abuse he suffered from Kenny, some really interesting insights, comparing the public face of ITFC to what actually happens in reality also the unprofessional behaviour of touring England teams and the lack of respect shown by young England players was shaming and as he says perhaps this has now stopped given our recent record.
I to was surprised by the rift between Dyer and Burley/Sheepy but I suspect we only got one side of that story.

No doubt that Ipswich Town is his club though and possibly a future manager.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2018 11:43]
How George is not involved with th Club on 12:03 - Apr 4 with 3259 viewsbenno1uk

How George is not involved with th Club on 10:05 - Apr 4 by Basuco

I believe he is at many if not most home games up in the directors box.

Amazing. The man Milne and ME need to help and advise them is literally right under their noses and still they conspire to f*&k it up.
How George is not involved with th Club on 12:22 - Apr 4 with 3208 viewsWickets

How George is not involved with th Club on 12:03 - Apr 4 by benno1uk

Amazing. The man Milne and ME need to help and advise them is literally right under their noses and still they conspire to f*&k it up.

Indeed he can be seen walking along the Norwich Rd , about 90 minutes before most home games.
How George is not involved with th Club on 14:22 - Apr 4 with 3072 viewslongtimefan

How George is not involved with th Club on 09:10 - Apr 4 by EastKentBlue

Why would you need an assistant manager and a first team coach. Surely Venus fulfils that role for Mowbray.
How George is not involved with th Club on 14:30 - Apr 4 with 3055 viewsRadlett_blue

I'm sorry, but the model Town have gone with in recent years has been giving the manager control of the footballing side. I'm sure Keane insisted on it & possibly Mick wouldn't have come here on other terms.
I'm not against the DoF concept as it can provide continuity & a consistent pattern of play through the club sides, but it would need a re-think, would involve extra overhead & wold be important that the DoF could work harmoniously with the 1st team manager/coach.
The main reasons the Evans era has been so poor are that he was unfortunate in his first 2 choices of manager (who were, on paper, well qualified for the job) & then he didn't want to back his most effective manager by giving him a larger playing budget.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

How George is not involved with th Club on 14:30 - Apr 4 with 3052 viewsCurrie10

How George is not involved with th Club on 09:16 - Apr 4 by Superfrans

Did a great job in Greece

Apollon Limassol
On 10 May 2012, Burley was appointed as manager of Cypriot side Apollon Limassol.[23] He was sacked after two games in charge.[24]

Oh...

Agreed, rather not.
How George is not involved with th Club on 14:39 - Apr 4 with 3034 viewsBobbyBell

How George is not involved with th Club on 14:22 - Apr 4 by longtimefan

Why would you need an assistant manager and a first team coach. Surely Venus fulfils that role for Mowbray.

Burley himself has said that we should appoint Mowbray and Venus. George has moved back to Suffolk recently and attends home games, He has offered himself to the club in any role that would help but is not looking for the manager's job. Mowbray was George's assistant and knows the Ipswich way. This to me seems the way forward or if your prefer, the way back to the true Ipswich way. Mowbray's record is a pretty good one with a good win percentage but he's doing well with his current club so it may cost a bit to get him. For me this is a must do.
How George is not involved with th Club on 14:40 - Apr 4 with 3031 viewsCurrie10

How George is not involved with th Club on 14:39 - Apr 4 by BobbyBell

Burley himself has said that we should appoint Mowbray and Venus. George has moved back to Suffolk recently and attends home games, He has offered himself to the club in any role that would help but is not looking for the manager's job. Mowbray was George's assistant and knows the Ipswich way. This to me seems the way forward or if your prefer, the way back to the true Ipswich way. Mowbray's record is a pretty good one with a good win percentage but he's doing well with his current club so it may cost a bit to get him. For me this is a must do.

What is this ' Ipswich way ' exactly..........
How George is not involved with th Club on 15:13 - Apr 4 with 2996 viewsEastKentBlue

How George is not involved with th Club on 14:30 - Apr 4 by Radlett_blue

I'm sorry, but the model Town have gone with in recent years has been giving the manager control of the footballing side. I'm sure Keane insisted on it & possibly Mick wouldn't have come here on other terms.
I'm not against the DoF concept as it can provide continuity & a consistent pattern of play through the club sides, but it would need a re-think, would involve extra overhead & wold be important that the DoF could work harmoniously with the 1st team manager/coach.
The main reasons the Evans era has been so poor are that he was unfortunate in his first 2 choices of manager (who were, on paper, well qualified for the job) & then he didn't want to back his most effective manager by giving him a larger playing budget.

We know what the model has and is, what we are saying is it needs to change, its not worked. We need a strategy and structure that managers fit into and buy into not dictate and then when it goes wrong, leave. Then we don't have a strategy.

We have a great academy with some of the best prospects in years, yet they won't play the same way in the first team. That needs to change for a start. A long term sustainable plan is the only way forward on the budget we currently have.

To the other poster who asked what the Ipswich way is - for me: its bringing in youth through, setting up to play decent, attractive, attacking football and take it to the opposition. If we lose, we go down trying to win the game.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024