Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Route One 11:53 - Apr 5 with 1249 viewshype313

Everyone seems to be so dogmatic about how "we can't have them as managers as they just lump it up top, we need the Ipswich way"

Didn't see too many moaning when we lumped it up to Murphy in the Play off season.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2018 11:55]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Route One on 11:54 - Apr 5 with 1228 viewsBOjK

Well, I did.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Route One on 11:55 - Apr 5 with 1220 viewsCoco

Is this a fecking wind up? FFS!

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Route One on 11:57 - Apr 5 with 1204 viewsNo9

I moaned, as did the bloke next to me at home games.
Route One on 11:58 - Apr 5 with 1201 viewsKieran_Knows

Thing is, I wouldn't say we just 'lumped' it to Murph in the play off season, we did go route one, but it had a purpose to it. Get it to Murph and have people around him (McGoldrick for instance) or in the second half of the season, have people playing off Murph (Sears). It wasn't pretty, but it had a purpose to it.

The last couple of years though, we've been playing like Murph is still here although we haven't had anybody that can bully defenders and chase lost causes like he did.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2018 11:58]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Route One on 11:59 - Apr 5 with 1193 viewsmos

People definitely moaned at the style of play that we used in the playoff season.

“Our slick new attacking side is being outpassed and outmaneuvered by Ipswich” - West Ham Forum
Poll: How do you think we will finish next season?

Route One on 11:59 - Apr 5 with 1198 viewsSteve_M

The most consciously direct ITFC side of recent times was Royle's 2004-05 team, to the extent that when Kuqi got injured neither Pablo nor Bowditch could cover because so much of our game was about the Kuqi and Bent running the channels.

What helped, of course, was that Magilton was so good on the ball that we could play through the midfield as well but we struggled badly when we brought in a striker incapable of playing that way in Parkin.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Route One on 11:59 - Apr 5 with 1193 viewsMattinLondon

It’s all or nothing with route one football. Most people knew that we were awful to watch but kept quiet because we reached the play-offs.

Burleys teams played very good football but were not afraid to mix it up with long balls to Naylor or Scowcroft. With Mick , for the majority of games, there has been a few passes amongst the back four followed by hoof.
Route One on 11:59 - Apr 5 with 1190 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Its not hard to work out;

Football is more interesting when you are scoring goals and winning.

Football is boring when you're not scoring and not winning.

Its pretty straight forward.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Route One on 12:04 - Apr 5 with 1164 viewsSwansea_Blue

PLenty of people complaining about the style (or lack of), but it gets buried by results. After Christmas wasn't good watching though at all.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Route One on 12:14 - Apr 5 with 1131 viewsSteve_M

Route One on 11:58 - Apr 5 by Kieran_Knows

Thing is, I wouldn't say we just 'lumped' it to Murph in the play off season, we did go route one, but it had a purpose to it. Get it to Murph and have people around him (McGoldrick for instance) or in the second half of the season, have people playing off Murph (Sears). It wasn't pretty, but it had a purpose to it.

The last couple of years though, we've been playing like Murph is still here although we haven't had anybody that can bully defenders and chase lost causes like he did.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2018 11:58]

Yes, McCarthy has never been pure long ball, 80s Wimbledon or John Beck's Cambridge with two big strikers and midfielders bombing onto knock downs. It's direct football, too direct at times, with an emphasis more on protecting the defence than gambling.

When it works it's entertaining, just when it doesn't it's dire.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024