Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Immersion heater 13:47 - Apr 6 with 3347 viewsunbelievablue

Howdy.

New flat has an immersion heater with two elements (one nearer the top of the tank, one nearer the bottom). Can someone ITK either confirm or ridicule my two assumptions?:

1. Both elements stop heating the tank if it hits a certain temperaturem, therefore saving electricity (e.g. it's not constantly heating and heating - it only does so when it goes below that target temp?)
2. I probably only need to use the one nearer the top for everyday use, not both, as I will only need the hot water at the top of the tank unless I'm using loads?

Ta very much

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Immersion heater on 13:53 - Apr 6 with 3324 viewsfooters

"The immersion heater? It's underneath the stairs. You only really need to press that if you're having a deep bath. Well, put it on an hour before, Bob's your uncle, you've got a deep bath."

Sorry, had to quote the Partridge.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Immersion heater on 14:03 - Apr 6 with 3302 viewsLord_Lucan

A double element job? On those there is no thermostat, it will heat continuously and cost you a fortune. You need to turn it off every three hours for 20 mins otherwise it will blow up.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Immersion heater on 14:04 - Apr 6 with 3294 viewsSpruceMoose

Immersion heater on 14:03 - Apr 6 by Lord_Lucan

A double element job? On those there is no thermostat, it will heat continuously and cost you a fortune. You need to turn it off every three hours for 20 mins otherwise it will blow up.

Especially throughout the night. Owning an immersion heater is a serious commitment and best left for serious heating equipment enthusiasts.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Immersion heater on 14:18 - Apr 6 with 3262 viewsLord_Lucan

Immersion heater on 14:04 - Apr 6 by SpruceMoose

Especially throughout the night. Owning an immersion heater is a serious commitment and best left for serious heating equipment enthusiasts.

An immersion heater is for life.

Funny thing is his dad is a builder and had a sizeable building firm before he sold it and retired.

Yet he came on here to ask people like me, you and Ipswich Crazy.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Immersion heater on 14:22 - Apr 6 with 3244 viewsunbelievablue

Immersion heater on 14:18 - Apr 6 by Lord_Lucan

Funny thing is his dad is a builder and had a sizeable building firm before he sold it and retired.

He's busy (not retired, actually) and I'm on my laptop at work.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 14:24]

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Immersion heater on 14:23 - Apr 6 with 3238 viewsSpruceMoose

Immersion heater on 14:18 - Apr 6 by Lord_Lucan

All my big life changing decisions have been made by consulting this bunch of booger eating hayseeds.

I just do the opposite of what they tell me to do.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Immersion heater on 17:53 - Apr 6 with 3129 viewsEireannach_gorm

This is an Immersion heater. ( one element )

What you probably have is known as an Electric Water heater ( two elements).

Immersions are inefficient because the tank heats up and cools whereas the Electric water heater remains at a constant temperature.

Question 1 is correct.
Question 2 , you cannot choose elements like an Immersion.

Here is a robotic explanation.
Immersion heater on 18:01 - Apr 6 with 3117 viewsfranco

The top one is normally just a boost and the bottom one works off ecomeny 7. They should both have immersion stats in them , which should cut the electric off once the temp is reached.
Just make sure the thermostats have overheat cut offs fitted. Most people who I’ve worked for before just leave the bottom one on all the time and only use the top one for a boost up of hot water , hope that helps .
Login to get fewer ads

Immersion heater on 18:12 - Apr 6 with 3112 viewsconnorscontract

Immersion heater on 18:01 - Apr 6 by franco

The top one is normally just a boost and the bottom one works off ecomeny 7. They should both have immersion stats in them , which should cut the electric off once the temp is reached.
Just make sure the thermostats have overheat cut offs fitted. Most people who I’ve worked for before just leave the bottom one on all the time and only use the top one for a boost up of hot water , hope that helps .

Well, that's his third completely different answer...

He's either going to be bankrupt or stinky by next weekend.
Immersion heater on 19:31 - Apr 6 with 3088 viewsKropotkin123

I feel you have been misled on this one. I hope the following is illuminating.

1. It really depends on whether the target temperature is within the allotted range of the thermostat. If it isn't, you will never reach your target temperature.

2. the use of loads is relative. But for arguments sake, if loads is less than the amount of hot water available, then you wont have to change the settings.

You're welcome

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Immersion heater on 08:12 - Apr 7 with 2962 viewsslump

Immersion heater on 18:01 - Apr 6 by franco

This is more than likely the right answer.

You need to check that the bottom one is on a timer that coincides with the low tariff rate 10.30pm to 8.30am and that you have a dual tariff meter, assuming that it's not a smart meter.

If you have storage heaters then I pity you!

UTT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024