Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... 23:33 - Apr 10 with 2985 viewsLuk38644

Back in November 2012, I genuinely thought we were done for. I remember thinking that no one could save us and that we might be facing a future like Coventry. Along comes Mick, keeps us up with a silly amount of points and one thing he brought back was my pride in ITFC and our club, and for that, thanks very much Mick.

The two seasons that followed built on that pride. We became hard to beat (after years of being a soft touch), we had a squad of players who gave everything for the club and we were getting results. The play-off season is one we'll never forget. I'll always remember 2k Ipswich fans outsinging the Scum with "Ipswich Till I Die" despite losing to them. We were all incredibly proud. It was everything we needed in 2012 and Mick was providing that, right up until September 2015. That Reading game was the turning point. The direct and attacking football was abandoned, and Mick reverted to grinding out results with gritty, unattractive performances and, most importantly, he wasn't building on the previous season. We were going backwards.

Last season was THE disaster that, for me, meant there was no way Mick could return to our 14/15 success. The football was the worst I've ever seen in my lifetime at Ipswich, the results were terrible, the anger between the fans/Mick had grown to an unrepairable level and the Lincoln game was embarrasing and still is. I thought the time to go was last summer. He didn't go, we persisted and, although August and September seemed like Mick reviving his mojo, it was a false dawn and the poor performances, poor results, lack of entertainment/shots on target have reared their ugly heads again. The cautious approach and Mick's insistence to snipe the fanbase since September 2015 has killed his tenure at ITFC.

As I said, Mick restored our pride in the club back in 2013, he has built a good squad, he has kept us relatively competitive and for that, I thank him. However, the football on show has not good enough over the past 18 months, the back-and-forth with the fanbase has irked a growing number of people and most importantly, the results have been mid-table at best and we're not progressing.

It's gone stale. It's been stale for 18 months. Whether you're elated or sad that Mick is going, the time for change is now. We need some excitement back at PR. We need to start playing a more entertaining brand of football and, as ever, we need to progress the squad and the results, something Mick has not done for near on 2 years. Whatever happens, we're all Town, let's back the current squad for the final games, let's back the new manager and let's get excited about ITFC again. It's been a while!
Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 23:38 - Apr 10 with 2926 viewsstantheman

Abolutely correct in everything you have written there. Mick was the right man at the right time but it has run it's course and time for change has gone past it's sell by date unfortunately. Time for everyone to move on and I wish Mick and Terry all the best for the future. I just hope that OUR future is better.
Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 23:42 - Apr 10 with 2898 viewsWarkystache

.....And God Bless you all and everyone who sails in you!

And the raffle numbers tonight were 10, 19, 27 and 32. If you've won, please see Doris on the fancy table for your prize, which is something hand knitted from what looks like dog fur but is, in fact, I'm reliably informed, by the leader of the Blind Women's Town's Guild, Merino.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 23:45 - Apr 10 with 2882 viewsLuk38644

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 23:42 - Apr 10 by Warkystache

.....And God Bless you all and everyone who sails in you!

And the raffle numbers tonight were 10, 19, 27 and 32. If you've won, please see Doris on the fancy table for your prize, which is something hand knitted from what looks like dog fur but is, in fact, I'm reliably informed, by the leader of the Blind Women's Town's Guild, Merino.

Where were you?!

You missed Mick's last game!

I'll see you at Villa in 10 days for the start of a new era?
Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 23:57 - Apr 10 with 2840 viewsWarkystache

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 23:45 - Apr 10 by Luk38644

Where were you?!

You missed Mick's last game!

I'll see you at Villa in 10 days for the start of a new era?

I thought about it, in the warm sunshine and that, as I sped down the A14 half cut on E numbers from the McDonalds I bought in Kettering. And I thought of your little face, all disappointed, and then I pictured the game, start slowly, they have a few half-hearted attacks, then they hit the bar, we wake up a bit but don't register a shot for the first 45 minutes then he brings on Ward for Celina, and Cotter for Carayol, and we're hanging on for a bit, then old Kieffer jumps to meet a header and it hits someone in the Co-op coming back from a half-time slash, and we all snigger and thank that Chinese lot who bought them for the 750k, then Ward plays in Waggy, he rounds the keeper but it's cleared off the line, then someone gets injured from Barnsley, then all 110 of their fans start a chant about "steyin' oop" and fly their kestrels from the Cobbold to scare off the seagulls, then someone lights their mobile up in the SAR, then 12th Man calls the ref a useless little c*nt, then Kieffer has another header which balloons over the stand and is caught by someone on the top tier of the old fag factory and we all go home having half-heartedly clapped Knuds and Bart and Waggy and Spence, the only ones who bothered to clap us.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 23:57 - Apr 10 with 2836 viewsGarv

I will read the rest of that post but it's late. One thing I will pick up on though is 'thinking we were done for'. I understand the state Jewell left us in and please don't think I'm taking this job away from Mick, but I don't understand this notion that no one else could have kept us up. We were 13 games into the season.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 00:04 - Apr 11 with 2797 viewsLuk38644

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 23:57 - Apr 10 by Warkystache

I thought about it, in the warm sunshine and that, as I sped down the A14 half cut on E numbers from the McDonalds I bought in Kettering. And I thought of your little face, all disappointed, and then I pictured the game, start slowly, they have a few half-hearted attacks, then they hit the bar, we wake up a bit but don't register a shot for the first 45 minutes then he brings on Ward for Celina, and Cotter for Carayol, and we're hanging on for a bit, then old Kieffer jumps to meet a header and it hits someone in the Co-op coming back from a half-time slash, and we all snigger and thank that Chinese lot who bought them for the 750k, then Ward plays in Waggy, he rounds the keeper but it's cleared off the line, then someone gets injured from Barnsley, then all 110 of their fans start a chant about "steyin' oop" and fly their kestrels from the Cobbold to scare off the seagulls, then someone lights their mobile up in the SAR, then 12th Man calls the ref a useless little c*nt, then Kieffer has another header which balloons over the stand and is caught by someone on the top tier of the old fag factory and we all go home having half-heartedly clapped Knuds and Bart and Waggy and Spence, the only ones who bothered to clap us.

How specific.

No worries mate, as I said, the game was fairly average for large parts so you didn't miss much.

Get yourself there for the Villa game - Kluggy is the new Pep.
Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 00:04 - Apr 11 with 2798 viewsblaggers

Well said.

Mick was the division's longest serving manager, in a league where the average shelf life is 18 months. We gave him a chance to restore his reputation, and he gave us the opportunity to have some pride in our club.

That said, we needed a change in approach, and have needed it for a while. Mick isn't going to change, and his brand of football will go and work somewhere else for a couple of years, hopefully for him at a club where he gets the backing he didn't get here.

Poll: What happens next?

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 00:05 - Apr 11 with 2796 viewsLuk38644

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 23:57 - Apr 10 by Garv

I will read the rest of that post but it's late. One thing I will pick up on though is 'thinking we were done for'. I understand the state Jewell left us in and please don't think I'm taking this job away from Mick, but I don't understand this notion that no one else could have kept us up. We were 13 games into the season.

It wasn't just the points and league position, it was the way we were playing. We were rudderless and Jewell seemed inept. After Keane's tenure and then enduring Jewell's, everyone was just depressed and it seemed like complete doom and gloom.
Login to get fewer ads

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 00:06 - Apr 11 with 2784 viewsLuk38644

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 00:04 - Apr 11 by blaggers

Well said.

Mick was the division's longest serving manager, in a league where the average shelf life is 18 months. We gave him a chance to restore his reputation, and he gave us the opportunity to have some pride in our club.

That said, we needed a change in approach, and have needed it for a while. Mick isn't going to change, and his brand of football will go and work somewhere else for a couple of years, hopefully for him at a club where he gets the backing he didn't get here.

If he manages to get a club to the point he had us at in January 2015, and they back him with money, they'll reap the rewards. We failed to do so and have suffered for it.
Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 00:14 - Apr 11 with 2737 viewsGarv

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 00:05 - Apr 11 by Luk38644

It wasn't just the points and league position, it was the way we were playing. We were rudderless and Jewell seemed inept. After Keane's tenure and then enduring Jewell's, everyone was just depressed and it seemed like complete doom and gloom.

Can't deny that obviously. They really brought in some real fight and we stayed up comfortably.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 02:12 - Apr 11 with 2612 viewsIllinoisblue

Very well said. Not much to be added to that.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 02:16 - Apr 11 with 2605 viewsHurleyBurley

Well said.

Incredible really that with all the money available to us and the budgies, Mick leaves us in the top half of the table while they are again languishing in the bottom half.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2018 2:29]

Poll: World Cup final: Who do you WANT to win?

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 03:55 - Apr 11 with 2536 viewsurbanblue

Superb post!
Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 17:47 - Apr 11 with 2276 viewsLuk38644

Everything has been said about Mick but one thing I'll add... on 02:16 - Apr 11 by HurleyBurley

Well said.

Incredible really that with all the money available to us and the budgies, Mick leaves us in the top half of the table while they are again languishing in the bottom half.
[Post edited 11 Apr 2018 2:29]

And the financial gulf is going to be alot closer next season, it will be interesting to see how they fair under the conditions we've had to.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024