Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick in the Guardian 13:19 - Apr 13 with 24768 viewsitfcjoe

Think this is a decent enough piece

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/apr/13/mick-mcarthy-forced-out-ip

The kind of all-too-common, delicate football-going flowers who are only too happy to dish out relentless abuse but swoon like Victorian ladies when any comes back their way

and

Worryingly, it sounded like the cruel baying of an angry, entitled mob of ingrates determined to stick a few last boots into the twitching corpse of an otherwise well-respected man

Made me laugh

And for balance so the numbskulls don't cry

Whatever you make of this contradictory stance, their frustrations are completely understandable. They are bored with the tedium of it all. They have not seen their team contest an FA Cup fourth-round match in six years. They have not beaten Norwich in nine attempts. Attendances are dwindling accordingly.

Change is overdue. They know it and so did McCarthy.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2018 13:22]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mick in the Guardian on 13:24 - Apr 13 with 12651 viewsSpruceMoose

Sadly those involved in this shameful behaviour will be along to post that he doesn't know what he's talking about and the happy clappers are the people ruining the club. They walk around with a smile on their face and crap in their pants.

Some of what he writes about some fans is so spot on it's almost as if Glendenning has been reading this forum for the last three months...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Mick in the Guardian on 13:26 - Apr 13 with 12638 viewsNuggets

I personally think the article comes across as very bitter. I don't condone the behaviour of the few idiot supporters we had who abused Mick, but the author doesn't make the distinction clear enough and seems to tar all our supporters with the same brush. I wonder if he is a personal friend of Mick, because I thought this article didn't read well compared to Nick Ames' piece a couple of weeks ago in the same paper.

Blog: Disappointing Result, But Can Some of Us Drop the Sense of Entitlement?

Mick in the Guardian on 13:29 - Apr 13 with 12608 viewsDanFord

It was also written by an Irish bloke who is clearly a massive fan of Micks. Not a bad piece but certainly more than enough of the clichéd 'Ipswich fans were out of order' and limited amount of recognition that we are a placid bunch of twonks that only really turned after two years of boring football and being told we were morons by McCarthy.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Mick in the Guardian on 13:33 - Apr 13 with 12586 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Yes Barry, a minority of fans behaved like dicks. We acknowledge that. This is getting boring now.

We also acknowledge that Mick knowingly contributed to stoking up the toxic atmosphere over the past 12 months.

What was the word he used a while back to collectively describe fans? oh yeah, 'those f*ckers'.

Jeeeez, I cant wait for this season to end and a new manager to be appointed, lets all move on.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mick in the Guardian on 13:36 - Apr 13 with 12550 viewsGeoffSentence

Hey hey, we are in the papers again. That hasn't happened much in the last few years.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Mick in the Guardian on 13:36 - Apr 13 with 12552 viewsEastAngliasNo1

Irish + Sunderland, clearly has more than a soft spot for Mick.

Average piece on its own, bit of venom towards town fans.

He's also been giving it large on twitter https://twitter.com/bglendenning/with_replies
"But he hasn't..... on 13:37 - Apr 13 with 12536 viewsBloots

Mick in the Guardian on 13:24 - Apr 13 by SpruceMoose

Sadly those involved in this shameful behaviour will be along to post that he doesn't know what he's talking about and the happy clappers are the people ruining the club. They walk around with a smile on their face and crap in their pants.

Some of what he writes about some fans is so spot on it's almost as if Glendenning has been reading this forum for the last three months...

.....had to watch us for the last 5 years!!"

"How many matches has he watched recently??"

Blub.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Mick in the Guardian on 13:38 - Apr 13 with 12535 viewsSteve_M

Agreed, some people are getting quite upset on Twitter still.

Glendenning is right that outsiders are allowed to comment on Ipswich, but also right that ITFC fans will have a different perspective and both can be right because it is true both that MM has done a good job here overall and also that it is definitely time for a change.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Mick in the Guardian on 13:42 - Apr 13 with 12480 viewsSpruceMoose

Mick in the Guardian on 13:33 - Apr 13 by Marshalls_Mullet

Yes Barry, a minority of fans behaved like dicks. We acknowledge that. This is getting boring now.

We also acknowledge that Mick knowingly contributed to stoking up the toxic atmosphere over the past 12 months.

What was the word he used a while back to collectively describe fans? oh yeah, 'those f*ckers'.

Jeeeez, I cant wait for this season to end and a new manager to be appointed, lets all move on.

I'm not sure we will be moving on so quickly, on here at least. I'm sure outside of the TWTDs bubble it will dissipate a bit faster, but numbskulls will be a talking point for a long time yet on here!

I'd disagree slightly to your second sentence though. MM's supposed behaviour and taunting of the fans was always the justification given by some fans for behaving like stinking apes, but I'm not sure that's actually the reality of the situation. Personally, I feel that there's a bit of a push to rewrite what happened by some (I'm not saying that you're doing this), after the fact, to suggest MM deserved the kind of abuse he got, that he only had himself to blame.

Yes, MM wound up a few fans, but they were already determined to be wound up by any little thing. It really wasn't 50/50 in terms of who was causing all the vitriol. I would suggest it was 80% fans, 20% MM.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

"But he hasn't..... on 13:42 - Apr 13 with 12492 viewsitfcjoe

"But he hasn't..... on 13:37 - Apr 13 by Bloots

.....had to watch us for the last 5 years!!"

"How many matches has he watched recently??"

Blub.

My favorite one was when people were saying that Aaron Cresswell doesn't know what it's like here....!

I liked the description on the pod, where he said some ITFC fans are making out like it's the Vietnam War - "You don't know man, you weren't there"

When the reality is we've just had a couple of years boring football marooned in mid table

Speak to other football fans and it reminds me of David Brent's advice as a motivational speaker

"If all men were to bring their miseries together in one place, most would be glad to take each, his own, home again, rather than take a portion out of the common stock."

Mick in the Guardian on 13:44 - Apr 13 with 12450 viewsSpruceMoose

Mick in the Guardian on 13:36 - Apr 13 by EastAngliasNo1

Irish + Sunderland, clearly has more than a soft spot for Mick.

Average piece on its own, bit of venom towards town fans.

He's also been giving it large on twitter https://twitter.com/bglendenning/with_replies

Those replies only serve to prove the articles point.

The true gauge of all matters in life..... on 13:45 - Apr 13 with 12459 viewsBloots

"But he hasn't..... on 13:42 - Apr 13 by itfcjoe

My favorite one was when people were saying that Aaron Cresswell doesn't know what it's like here....!

I liked the description on the pod, where he said some ITFC fans are making out like it's the Vietnam War - "You don't know man, you weren't there"

When the reality is we've just had a couple of years boring football marooned in mid table

Speak to other football fans and it reminds me of David Brent's advice as a motivational speaker

"If all men were to bring their miseries together in one place, most would be glad to take each, his own, home again, rather than take a portion out of the common stock."

....should always be taken from a pi55ed up teenager on a football terrace.

Everyone knows that.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Mick in the Guardian on 13:46 - Apr 13 with 12489 viewsPhilTWTD

For me the Norwich bit misses the point which caused most annoyance. It was more that in a moment which looked like securing us our first derby victory in nearly a decade the club's manager was more concerned with petty point-scoring in a row with the club's fans.

Don't disagree with the Brentford stuff and it was certainly clear change needed to come.

As per a previous thread, I think the club is in a better place claim is arguable depending on what specifically is being talked about. In terms of fan-club relations things are certainly worse than they were under Paul Jewell and even under Roy Keane, the Brentford atmosphere illustrated that. Squad-wise, league position-wise things are certainly better.
Mick in the Guardian on 13:53 - Apr 13 with 12397 viewschicoazul

Mick in the Guardian on 13:46 - Apr 13 by PhilTWTD

For me the Norwich bit misses the point which caused most annoyance. It was more that in a moment which looked like securing us our first derby victory in nearly a decade the club's manager was more concerned with petty point-scoring in a row with the club's fans.

Don't disagree with the Brentford stuff and it was certainly clear change needed to come.

As per a previous thread, I think the club is in a better place claim is arguable depending on what specifically is being talked about. In terms of fan-club relations things are certainly worse than they were under Paul Jewell and even under Roy Keane, the Brentford atmosphere illustrated that. Squad-wise, league position-wise things are certainly better.

He was more concerned with petty point scoring in his row with a few dozen fans than pretty much anything else since he first got a bit of stick at Brentford in 2016. Mick is simply a very thin skinned petty vain man (for a football manager), hence his stated career goal of always proving people wrong.

Anyway he's gone and i'm moving on.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Mick in the Guardian on 13:55 - Apr 13 with 12370 viewsSuperfrans

Mick in the Guardian on 13:42 - Apr 13 by SpruceMoose

I'm not sure we will be moving on so quickly, on here at least. I'm sure outside of the TWTDs bubble it will dissipate a bit faster, but numbskulls will be a talking point for a long time yet on here!

I'd disagree slightly to your second sentence though. MM's supposed behaviour and taunting of the fans was always the justification given by some fans for behaving like stinking apes, but I'm not sure that's actually the reality of the situation. Personally, I feel that there's a bit of a push to rewrite what happened by some (I'm not saying that you're doing this), after the fact, to suggest MM deserved the kind of abuse he got, that he only had himself to blame.

Yes, MM wound up a few fans, but they were already determined to be wound up by any little thing. It really wasn't 50/50 in terms of who was causing all the vitriol. I would suggest it was 80% fans, 20% MM.

There’s a bit of the modern malaise about all of this too - people getting their rocks off at being noticed by someone famous, as happens all the time on Twitter. For a lot of people, baiting the rich and famous is all about putting themselves on the same level and deluding themselves that they don’t live the dull, boring, inconsequential lives that they do.

It’s for precisely this reason (rather than any thought that he shouldn’t abuse his customers, our fans) that I wish Mick had been able to rise above all the unpleasantness. It reduced him to their level and gave them exactly what they wanted - a perception of parity.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Mick in the Guardian on 13:55 - Apr 13 with 12370 viewsSWGF

"weirdly high number of Ipswich fans seem to be of the opinion anyone who does not have a season ticket to Portman Road is completely unqualified to comment on their situation"

"Weirdly high"? What does that even mean? He's basing that on his recent Twitter spat with a dozen or so Town fans?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Mick in the Guardian on 13:56 - Apr 13 with 12351 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Well said.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Mick in the Guardian on 13:57 - Apr 13 with 12346 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mick in the Guardian on 13:55 - Apr 13 by SWGF

"weirdly high number of Ipswich fans seem to be of the opinion anyone who does not have a season ticket to Portman Road is completely unqualified to comment on their situation"

"Weirdly high"? What does that even mean? He's basing that on his recent Twitter spat with a dozen or so Town fans?

Twitter......... the spiritual home of outrage.

Mick in the Guardian on 14:01 - Apr 13 with 12322 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Mick in the Guardian on 13:42 - Apr 13 by SpruceMoose

As you point out, I would never say he deserved it.

But lets also acknowledge that what happened at Brentford was NOT the norm.

MM had become petty with the fans, and the fans had become petty with MM.

Mick in the Guardian on 14:04 - Apr 13 with 12304 viewsTrequartista

Shackles off a bit there i notice, now that you don't have to keep in his good books anymore.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Mick in the Guardian on 14:05 - Apr 13 with 12306 viewsPhilTWTD

Mick in the Guardian on 13:53 - Apr 13 by chicoazul

He was more concerned with petty point scoring in his row with a few dozen fans than pretty much anything else since he first got a bit of stick at Brentford in 2016. Mick is simply a very thin skinned petty vain man (for a football manager), hence his stated career goal of always proving people wrong.

Anyway he's gone and i'm moving on.

Yes, it's time to move on, it was a year ago really. On the other point, I'm often amazed at the thinness of skin of experienced managers. Whatever he said it clearly got to MM and anything which even hinted at being critical in a press conference was jumped on ("Don't ask me about tactics", "Daft question") and not answered.

The response to the (to my mind perfectly reasonable) question I asked about what treatment Emyr Huws was getting for his injury when they opted against an operation being an example of the overreaction to anything which appeared critical even when in that instance it wasn't anything of the sort.
Mick in the Guardian on 14:06 - Apr 13 with 12283 viewsPhilTWTD

Mick in the Guardian on 14:04 - Apr 13 by Trequartista

Shackles off a bit there i notice, now that you don't have to keep in his good books anymore.

Nothing I've not said before.
Mick in the Guardian on 14:06 - Apr 13 with 12287 viewsTrequartista

You are conflating the people who dish out personal abuse, and those of us who have footballing criticisms of McCarthy, with your continued use of the numbskulls perjorative. So much for wanting to bring the fans together again.

Mick in the Guardian on 14:09 - Apr 13 with 12257 viewsTrequartista

Mick in the Guardian on 14:06 - Apr 13 by PhilTWTD

Nothing I've not said before.

Hadn't seen you directly accuse Mick of petty point scoring at Norwich before, i had to check you weren't quoting someone there.

Mick in the Guardian on 14:10 - Apr 13 with 12246 viewsitfcjoe

Mick in the Guardian on 14:06 - Apr 13 by Trequartista

You are conflating the people who dish out personal abuse, and those of us who have footballing criticisms of McCarthy, with your continued use of the numbskulls perjorative. So much for wanting to bring the fans together again.

I'm really not.

Footballing criticisms of Mick have always been fair, but there are some that are so critical of him that as soon as any team is annoucned it's too defensive and they were hating the game before it had even begune because they hated Mick so much

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024