Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... 06:44 - Apr 16 with 10782 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

...appointing a celebrity as our manager

As opposed to you know, appointing an actual football manager

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 06:59 - Apr 16 with 6188 viewsdavblue

If this is Gerrard/ Lampard related then no one knows whether they will be a success or a failure. No more so than a seasoned manager. It’s risky, but it might pay off.

I can’t see either getting the job, whilst I wouldn’t be shouting for them to get it, I wouldn’t be totally against it either.
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 07:06 - Apr 16 with 6168 viewsBlueBadger

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 06:59 - Apr 16 by davblue

If this is Gerrard/ Lampard related then no one knows whether they will be a success or a failure. No more so than a seasoned manager. It’s risky, but it might pay off.

I can’t see either getting the job, whilst I wouldn’t be shouting for them to get it, I wouldn’t be totally against it either.

Well, they are VERY famous.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 07:10 - Apr 16 with 6151 viewstcblue

The thing I'm most struggling with, and this might just be my misplaced sense of entitlement, is the thought that we are a small enough club to be the first job of anyone. I don't mean seasoned assistants / coaches, I mean people who would get the gig on the strength of their name alone.
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 07:13 - Apr 16 with 6148 viewsReuser_is_God

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 07:06 - Apr 16 by BlueBadger

Well, they are VERY famous.

So you keep fcuking saying.

You repeat yourself more than Benters.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 07:17 - Apr 16 with 6126 viewsKieran_Knows

I agree with you. I couldn’t care less that Gerrard and Lampard are famous, by all accounts (and in only going on what I’ve read online), they’re both doing good jobs with Liverpool/Chelsea under 18’s squads, and at the end of the day, if they want to make it as first team managers somewhere, then why not here?

Again, they’re certainly not my first choice, but I wouldn’t be against the idea.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 07:41 - Apr 16 with 6055 viewsPendejo

When you say "celebrity" I was imagining that folks had been suggesting Frank Skinner or Johnny Vegas or some other such person rather than a big name in football...

Mind you on recent form... Johnny Vegas may not be a bad shout... err or maybe not

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 07:59 - Apr 16 with 5992 viewsAYACCA

I'd like to see the chuckle brothers in charge. They'd get the team passing a lot more... "to me, to you, to me, to you"
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:02 - Apr 16 with 5982 viewsDarth_Koont

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 07:17 - Apr 16 by Kieran_Knows

I agree with you. I couldn’t care less that Gerrard and Lampard are famous, by all accounts (and in only going on what I’ve read online), they’re both doing good jobs with Liverpool/Chelsea under 18’s squads, and at the end of the day, if they want to make it as first team managers somewhere, then why not here?

Again, they’re certainly not my first choice, but I wouldn’t be against the idea.

They'd have to be given a lot of time and patience — and maybe they could be inspired choices.

But I see a huge risk with any manager who isn't experienced in handling a limited budget - or at least understands the ins and outs of the Championship and lower leagues.

Maybe a Gerrard or a Lampard could come with a Director of Football to advise them and take care of that side of the job. But it brings new variables into play and means we need to get two appointments right.

Thinking about it, I hope Warburton is very close to the top of the list as he seems one of the few candidates mentioned who has the wide-ranging experience we need. He has done a bit of everything in his time from academy and first-team coaching to manager and director of football roles. So if anyone is going to get the long-term, sustainable approach based on developing players (and get it to work) he seems a particularly good candidate.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:12 - Apr 16 with 5935 viewsdavblue

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:02 - Apr 16 by Darth_Koont

They'd have to be given a lot of time and patience — and maybe they could be inspired choices.

But I see a huge risk with any manager who isn't experienced in handling a limited budget - or at least understands the ins and outs of the Championship and lower leagues.

Maybe a Gerrard or a Lampard could come with a Director of Football to advise them and take care of that side of the job. But it brings new variables into play and means we need to get two appointments right.

Thinking about it, I hope Warburton is very close to the top of the list as he seems one of the few candidates mentioned who has the wide-ranging experience we need. He has done a bit of everything in his time from academy and first-team coaching to manager and director of football roles. So if anyone is going to get the long-term, sustainable approach based on developing players (and get it to work) he seems a particularly good candidate.

If he was first choice, i suspect they would have made their move already being as he is available.

I know the party line is they have an open mind but i suspect it's someone who is in a job.
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:16 - Apr 16 with 5925 viewssolemio

Gerrard with Dalglish as dof.

I'm seeing if I can come up with an even dafter suggestion.
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:18 - Apr 16 with 5921 viewswitchdoctor

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 07:13 - Apr 16 by Reuser_is_God

oh yeah.👍
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:24 - Apr 16 with 5905 viewsDanTheMan

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:16 - Apr 16 by solemio

Gerrard with Dalglish as dof.

I'm seeing if I can come up with an even dafter suggestion.

Lampard with Redknapp as DoF.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:26 - Apr 16 with 5903 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 07:17 - Apr 16 by Kieran_Knows

By what accounts?

On the face of it Gerrard isn’t doing badly with his Liverpool team sitting third in the northern U18 PL table, but he has less than a years experience of being a coach and that at the club he spent pretty much his whole career at. They’re 10+ points behind Man U U18’s managed by Kieran McKenna, also a relatively inexperienced coach - but no ones mentioned him for the role funnily enough

Lampard hasn’t even got a coaching role - his experience amounts to a few token sessions helping Jody Morris out...

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/chelsea/story/3400923/frank-lampard-ready-to-begi

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:26 - Apr 16 with 5899 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 07:13 - Apr 16 by Reuser_is_God

Someone’s a sucker for a celebrity

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:32 - Apr 16 with 5865 viewsKieran_Knows

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:26 - Apr 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

By what accounts?

On the face of it Gerrard isn’t doing badly with his Liverpool team sitting third in the northern U18 PL table, but he has less than a years experience of being a coach and that at the club he spent pretty much his whole career at. They’re 10+ points behind Man U U18’s managed by Kieran McKenna, also a relatively inexperienced coach - but no ones mentioned him for the role funnily enough

Lampard hasn’t even got a coaching role - his experience amounts to a few token sessions helping Jody Morris out...

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/chelsea/story/3400923/frank-lampard-ready-to-begi

Fair enough, I must admit I thought Lampard did have a full time role at Chelsea as a youth coach, and from what I had read online, he was doing fairly well.

Still, my basis isn't on the fact they're famous, just if they do want to make it in the world of first team management, then why couldn't we be a springboard for that? Everyone has to start somewhere.

AGAIN, they're probably not even in my top 5 who I'd like to see here, but not totally against it.

P.S (and for the record) - if Kieran McKenna would like to come on down for an interview, then be my guest, I'm all for seeing a change in direction, and he'd certainly be that.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:35 - Apr 16 with 5846 viewsPJH

What to you reckon the new club name will be, SGIT or FLIT?
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:36 - Apr 16 with 5828 viewsPinewoodblue

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:26 - Apr 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

By what accounts?

Don't worry Evans budget won't stretch to Gerrard or Lampard plus a DoF.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:43 - Apr 16 with 5793 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:32 - Apr 16 by Kieran_Knows

Fair enough, I must admit I thought Lampard did have a full time role at Chelsea as a youth coach, and from what I had read online, he was doing fairly well.

Still, my basis isn't on the fact they're famous, just if they do want to make it in the world of first team management, then why couldn't we be a springboard for that? Everyone has to start somewhere.

AGAIN, they're probably not even in my top 5 who I'd like to see here, but not totally against it.

P.S (and for the record) - if Kieran McKenna would like to come on down for an interview, then be my guest, I'm all for seeing a change in direction, and he'd certainly be that.

Fair enough

It’s not for me. I agree they have to start somewhere - but ideally that should be lower down the pyramid, and if it is going to be this high then they should certainly have much more coaching experience rather than just getting the job because they’re a big name

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:56 - Apr 16 with 5749 viewsmaccyd9

Down voted accidently.

I don't get the negativity. Look at our managers under the Evans era.

Only Magilton and Mick will ever be looked back at with any positivity, no matter how small.

One had his first job in football and one was vastly experienced. Squeezed in were Keane and Jewell who were somewhere in the middle.

Every great, good or bad manager had a first job somewhere and given the financial disparity in the Championship there is a strong argument that our only chance of ever competing is a bold and brave appointment. Many of those on the list are safe hands but an appointment from left field in the Gerrard or Lampard mold (with relevant experienced support) could be a masterstroke.

I know I'd be prepared to take the risk rather than potentially plod along with many of those linked.
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:57 - Apr 16 with 5733 viewsRadlett_blue

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:43 - Apr 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Fair enough

It’s not for me. I agree they have to start somewhere - but ideally that should be lower down the pyramid, and if it is going to be this high then they should certainly have much more coaching experience rather than just getting the job because they’re a big name

I agree that we should definitely not appoint someone with very little managerial experience.
However, I can see why big names don't want to start at the bottom because if they go to some 3rd or 4th tier club with few resources & poor players &don't have much of an impact, then they don't get a job anywhere higher up in the pyramid.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:00 - Apr 16 with 5728 viewsITFC_Forever

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:56 - Apr 16 by maccyd9

Down voted accidently.

Only Magilton and Mick will ever be looked back at with any positivity, no matter how small.

One had his first job in football and one was vastly experienced. Squeezed in were Keane and Jewell who were somewhere in the middle.

Every great, good or bad manager had a first job somewhere and given the financial disparity in the Championship there is a strong argument that our only chance of ever competing is a bold and brave appointment. Many of those on the list are safe hands but an appointment from left field in the Gerrard or Lampard mold (with relevant experienced support) could be a masterstroke.

I know I'd be prepared to take the risk rather than potentially plod along with many of those linked.

Added to that, Gerrard clearly wants to be manager of Liverpool one day.

But he's not going to get that by managing their U-23s for 10 years - Liverpool cannot appoint from within like they used to 30 years ago, a new manager would have had to have been there and done it and worked his way up with other clubs.

So a good starting point would be doing a good job with a mid-table Champ club and going from there..... just because one famous ex-player (Keane) was a lunatic, it doesn't mean they all are.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2018 9:01]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:03 - Apr 16 with 5714 viewsSomethingBlue

If I were Town I'd want to talk to Gerrard. He's impressed a lot of people at Liverpool and beyond; he has a very good future as a coach, I'd suggest. Not to say I'd take him ahead of other options but he's serious and a very different character to Keane.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:04 - Apr 16 with 5698 viewsSteve_M

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:56 - Apr 16 by maccyd9

Down voted accidently.

Were the club better set up then I might be inclined to agree but McCarthy had to do so much more than run the first team because Milne is essentially a non-football administrator and there is no-one else to communicate with Evans.

Magilton when he started had Sheepy in charge who, for all his faults, had an understanding of football and was willing to be a PR man as well.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:09 - Apr 16 with 5669 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:00 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

Added to that, Gerrard clearly wants to be manager of Liverpool one day.

But he's not going to get that by managing their U-23s for 10 years - Liverpool cannot appoint from within like they used to 30 years ago, a new manager would have had to have been there and done it and worked his way up with other clubs.

So a good starting point would be doing a good job with a mid-table Champ club and going from there..... just because one famous ex-player (Keane) was a lunatic, it doesn't mean they all are.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2018 9:01]

I’m not suggesting he would be a lunatic, however I do think it would be very much akin to buying a lottery ticket, crossing our fingers and hoping for the best, as in reality there isn’t a lot to indicate what Gerrard will be like as a manager currently. We could strike lucky and it works out, but seems incredibly more likely that it wouldn’t

If he’d been coaching for 3/4 years then I’d maybe think differently - still a gamble obviously but at least he’d have had more time to develop and gain some experience

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:11 - Apr 16 with 5655 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:57 - Apr 16 by Radlett_blue

I agree that we should definitely not appoint someone with very little managerial experience.
However, I can see why big names don't want to start at the bottom because if they go to some 3rd or 4th tier club with few resources & poor players &don't have much of an impact, then they don't get a job anywhere higher up in the pyramid.

Agree to an extent, hence the suggestion that if not they should have a lot more experience in other coaching roles

You’ve probably just neatly summed up why most big name players of late have failed in management, though

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024