Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... 06:44 - Apr 16 with 10774 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

...appointing a celebrity as our manager

As opposed to you know, appointing an actual football manager

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:48 - Apr 16 with 2324 viewsTonyHumesIpswich

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:45 - Apr 16 by Johnny_Boy

I wasn't aware Louise had her coaching badges.

Fair play if she does.

We could always go for a female manager?

http://time.com/92826/first-female-soccer-coach-for-major-mens-team/
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:56 - Apr 16 with 2312 viewsFixed_It

Mate of mine is a huge Liverpool fan and has issued a firm 'hands off' warning this morning. Apparently Gerrard has done fantastic things with their Academy this year, and is even being talked about as Klopp's successor.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:58 - Apr 16 with 2305 viewsFixed_It

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:27 - Apr 16 by SomethingBlue

Don't think that matters, it's all about the individual. Not a route we should go down blindly but think we have to investigate all avenues. Evans has probably heard interesting things about Gerrard in particular and it's right to follow up.

Agreed. Personally think it is probably too soon for him, but his reputation as a coach is soaring. Would be interesting, but we would very much be seen as a stepping stone I think.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:59 - Apr 16 with 2304 viewsSWGF

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:20 - Apr 16 by Kieran_Knows

Didn't Keane try to bring Sbragia here at one point?

Given he went on to be Sunderland manager, he probably didnt want to move. I don't think Tony Laughlin (sp?) provided the same amount of reining-in.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:59 - Apr 16 with 2306 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:56 - Apr 16 by Fixed_It

Mate of mine is a huge Liverpool fan and has issued a firm 'hands off' warning this morning. Apparently Gerrard has done fantastic things with their Academy this year, and is even being talked about as Klopp's successor.

Well, if your mate says so.

He was appointed in his current role with a view to creating a pathway to the top job one day. Obviously those plaudits are primarily made based on his existing reputation as a club legend, rather than his current coaching record.

Would be interesting to hear what those 'fantastic things' are?!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:03 - Apr 16 with 2297 viewsFixed_It

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:59 - Apr 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

He was appointed in his current role with a view to creating a pathway to the top job one day. Obviously those plaudits are primarily made based on his existing reputation as a club legend, rather than his current coaching record.

I don't know any more than has changed a few things, and has made a significant impact already with good results. Yes Gerrard is a legend up there, but I trust my mate to know more than me - and my mate isn't a scouser (but is a season ticket holder) so isn't just blinded by the name.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:07 - Apr 16 with 2293 viewshype313

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:56 - Apr 16 by Fixed_It

They are currently 3rd in the U18 league, in the previous season they finished 3rd. Not sure what amazing things he has done.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:09 - Apr 16 with 2290 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:03 - Apr 16 by Fixed_It

I don't know any more than has changed a few things, and has made a significant impact already with good results. Yes Gerrard is a legend up there, but I trust my mate to know more than me - and my mate isn't a scouser (but is a season ticket holder) so isn't just blinded by the name.

Hmmm, doesnt sound very conclusive.

I'm not sure how being a season ticket holder gives your mate any insight into the impact SG has made on the Under 18's.

Their last 3 results? 3 defeats;

Lost to Newcastle 3-1, WBA 4-1 and Sunderland 2-1.

Im not against SG, and think we should be speaking to these types, but I also think that alot of hearsay is taken as fact, without anything to back it up.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:13 - Apr 16 with 2276 viewsJohnny_Boy

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:48 - Apr 16 by TonyHumesIpswich

We could always go for a female manager?

http://time.com/92826/first-female-soccer-coach-for-major-mens-team/

On a slight tangent, I've watched a few Bundesliga matches with female officials (ref, assistants, etc) - and the overal demeanour of the male players was very refreshing to see. Decisions made, whilst obviously always going to irk one of the teams, were met with general acceptance. The back chat, swearing and sarkiness towards the officials was practically non-existent.
Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:13 - Apr 16 with 2277 viewsITFC_Forever

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:59 - Apr 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'd find it hard to believe that his pathway to the Liverpool top job is internal only.... more like that coaching the U-18s is some coaching / managing experience ahead of then getting out and proving himself in the Champ and Lower Prem.

We'd be a stepping-stone for Stevie G, but then, we would be for many managers who might make a success of the job.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:15 - Apr 16 with 2272 viewsSomethingBlue

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:09 - Apr 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Hmmm, doesnt sound very conclusive.

I'm not sure how being a season ticket holder gives your mate any insight into the impact SG has made on the Under 18's.

Their last 3 results? 3 defeats;

Lost to Newcastle 3-1, WBA 4-1 and Sunderland 2-1.

Im not against SG, and think we should be speaking to these types, but I also think that alot of hearsay is taken as fact, without anything to back it up.

Results difficult to judge by — look at the number of players loaned out, and the number they then have to promote to U21s, and the current strain on the first-team schedule. This is also a time of year to try out some U16s/U15s.

The reliable word on Gerrard is that he's impressed everybody and has been particularly good with man-management for somebody of little experience. Doesn't surprise me. It's not to say he should be next Town manager, but it's not to say he shouldn't.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:15 - Apr 16 with 2271 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:13 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

I'd find it hard to believe that his pathway to the Liverpool top job is internal only.... more like that coaching the U-18s is some coaching / managing experience ahead of then getting out and proving himself in the Champ and Lower Prem.

We'd be a stepping-stone for Stevie G, but then, we would be for many managers who might make a success of the job.

I didnt say it was internal only.

My point was that it was part of the pathway, and thats the reason he is linked to talk of being Klopps successor.

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:19 - Apr 16 with 2257 viewsITFC_Forever

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:15 - Apr 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

I didnt say it was internal only.

My point was that it was part of the pathway, and thats the reason he is linked to talk of being Klopps successor.

Ah, ok....

In which case, if we / another Champ club is part of his pathway, then if he does well, it's obviously going to benefit us as well.....

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:19 - Apr 16 with 2253 viewsblaggers

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 08:56 - Apr 16 by maccyd9

Down voted accidently.

I don't get the negativity. Look at our managers under the Evans era.

Only Magilton and Mick will ever be looked back at with any positivity, no matter how small.

One had his first job in football and one was vastly experienced. Squeezed in were Keane and Jewell who were somewhere in the middle.

Every great, good or bad manager had a first job somewhere and given the financial disparity in the Championship there is a strong argument that our only chance of ever competing is a bold and brave appointment. Many of those on the list are safe hands but an appointment from left field in the Gerrard or Lampard mold (with relevant experienced support) could be a masterstroke.

I know I'd be prepared to take the risk rather than potentially plod along with many of those linked.

...and we forget that Magilton had never managed before getting the ITFC job.

Poll: What happens next?

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:30 - Apr 16 with 2238 viewsKieran_Knows

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 10:59 - Apr 16 by SWGF

Given he went on to be Sunderland manager, he probably didnt want to move. I don't think Tony Laughlin (sp?) provided the same amount of reining-in.

Indeed, although interesting to note Tony Loughlin is assistant to Sean Dyche at Burnley, and signed a new long term deal at Burnley earlier in the season (as did Dyche and the rest of his staff). Must be doing a fairly decent job.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:33 - Apr 16 with 2237 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:19 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

Ah, ok....

In which case, if we / another Champ club is part of his pathway, then if he does well, it's obviously going to benefit us as well.....

Eh??

Not sure what point you are trying to make??

I think you are possibly trying to say that if we are seen as part of his pathway then thats bad for us?

Just to clarify.... if a manager performs well with us, then he is very unlikely to stay for long. He would leave for a better job.

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:48 - Apr 16 with 2221 viewsITFC_Forever

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:33 - Apr 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Eh??

Not sure what point you are trying to make??

I think you are possibly trying to say that if we are seen as part of his pathway then thats bad for us?

Just to clarify.... if a manager performs well with us, then he is very unlikely to stay for long. He would leave for a better job.

No, the opposite - I'm agreeing with you.

If Stevie G (or Lampard or whoever) comes to us as part of his pathway and does well, then we will obviously benefit.

And if any manager comes here and does well, then obviously we are candidates for that individual to leave and move on, whether it's a famous ex-player or not.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2018 11:48]

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:53 - Apr 16 with 2203 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:48 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

If Stevie G (or Lampard or whoever) comes to us as part of his pathway and does well, then we will obviously benefit.

And if any manager comes here and does well, then obviously we are candidates for that individual to leave and move on, whether it's a famous ex-player or not.

OK, apologies if I misunderstood.

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:53 - Apr 16 with 2204 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:15 - Apr 16 by SomethingBlue

Results difficult to judge by — look at the number of players loaned out, and the number they then have to promote to U21s, and the current strain on the first-team schedule. This is also a time of year to try out some U16s/U15s.

The reliable word on Gerrard is that he's impressed everybody and has been particularly good with man-management for somebody of little experience. Doesn't surprise me. It's not to say he should be next Town manager, but it's not to say he shouldn't.

Who is that reliable word from though?

Gerrard is an absolute club legend at Liverpool, he’s coaching youth players in the main who will have idolised him, and the clubs PR department will no doubt know their fans will love hearing about how great Gerrard is doing in his coaching role. So it’s hardly a surprise that positive stories are appearing - but quite telling than no one seems to be able to provide any real substance

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:56 - Apr 16 with 2192 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 09:54 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

Possibly....

Although I think Gerrard isn't a suggestion we should dismiss out of hand..... I think I'd rather have him than some of the same old faces who have achieved nothing for years (Pardew, Cotterill, Megson etc) or some of the old ITFC players people are suggesting just because they used to play for us (Kuqi, McGreal).

I think that’s where we differ - for me appointing the manager of Liverpool U18’s IS a suggestion we should dismiss out of hand

That said I agree he’d be preferable to at least 3 of the names you’ve mentioned!

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:57 - Apr 16 with 2186 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Amazing how many people seem to be up for... on 11:48 - Apr 16 by ITFC_Forever

I do agree on this point too. A manager using us as a stepping stone shouldn’t be a concern - if they do well and then go elsewhere then everyone wins

That’s not my worry with Gerrard or Lampard though

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024