Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Central midfield / wide options next season..... 15:42 - Apr 16 with 3433 viewsCurrie10

Goodbye Kevin Bru first of all, good on day... others... well yeah.
Gleeson, the same - weird one!?

So that leaves us centrally alone / based on a 2/ 3 man midfield of -
*Skuse * Adeyemi ( cough ) * Huws ( lesser cough ) * Dozzell * Downes * Nydam

I think it's safe to assume Nydam/ Downes will be ready / in out form permitting from the off. You'd imagine Dozza would be ready to rumble too all being well - so that should be a fit four from the off.

Adeyemi hopefully we can get fit - at worst he should play more than this season, and Huws you'd imagine may be the new McGoldrick - however surely we should get more games out of him also.

Where does that leave Hyam / Bishop for you?

Hyam apparently very decent vs Forest - Grant Leadbitter need a new deal syndrone or just nearing fitness / able to show what can do. Would you keep Luke Hyam? I would say no. Have more faith in Downes / Nydam doing that role better going forward.

Bishop - love the guy however the amount of games he's played since his breakthrough 14/15 is alarming - reluctantly would let go.

Perhaps we'd sign a new player to accompany the rest - however on paper / being well I'd say we look rather decent CM next season which has clearly been an issue this.

As for the wide options - well Celina won't be back.
Ward may flourish in a ball playing side / more attack minded manager. Looked a player when we first signed him....
I would definitely get Carayol on another one year deal / hope we can cure some injury worries over the summer. Clearly not going to get 46 games out of him, however manage him well and I'd say he certainly adds direct pace / thrust.
Otherwise perhaps we need to add a winger or two to our play.

What do you make of our potential midfield for next season?
Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 16:12 - Apr 16 with 3349 viewshomer_123

I'd keep both Hyam and Bishop.

I think Hyam has come back very well from his period on the sidelines. I also think he came back from his loan spell at Rothers and looked a much better player for it. He's a proper DM and I think a very good squad player that we need.

Bishop, I'd keep, even if only on a 12 month contract. Appreciate this might cause an issue with the development of the likes of Nydam, Downes and Dozzell but those three are all still very young and won't really be able to play week in and week out. I'd give Bish 12 months to see if he can stay injury free and get back to his level of play that we know he can do. Nothing to lose and not more of a gamble than bringing someone new in.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 16:14 - Apr 16 with 3338 viewsCheltenham_Blue

At the risk of sounding cliche, Bishop is exactly the sort of player who will, go away, get fit and then come back and bite us in the arse.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 17:09 - Apr 16 with 3257 viewsCurrie10

Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 16:14 - Apr 16 by Cheltenham_Blue

At the risk of sounding cliche, Bishop is exactly the sort of player who will, go away, get fit and then come back and bite us in the arse.

Potentially but would he get in the side say if Dozzell came back raring to go / Huws onsong?
Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 17:43 - Apr 16 with 3204 viewsSkuse4ballondor

Keep bishop, releasing him would be a mistake, an on form Teddy Bishop would probably be in our best midfield three. Hyam should go to get some game time somewhere else. I don't see him getting ahead of any of next seasons midfield and I would much prefer to see downes and nydam play ahead of him so there's not much point him staying, it would just make it more likely there would be less game time for one of the youngsters.
Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 18:25 - Apr 16 with 3145 viewsRobTheMonk

Hyam will do a solid defensive job but he has to have someone who can pick a pass either side of him.

A fit Huws and Adeyemi suddenly makes our midfield look very strong. Can they remain fit though? Not so sure...
Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 19:53 - Apr 16 with 3028 viewsCurrie10

Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 18:25 - Apr 16 by RobTheMonk

Hyam will do a solid defensive job but he has to have someone who can pick a pass either side of him.

A fit Huws and Adeyemi suddenly makes our midfield look very strong. Can they remain fit though? Not so sure...

Does Adeyemi make our midfield look strong?

I've genuinely no idea if he's good / average or rubbish to date.
Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 20:05 - Apr 16 with 3003 viewsolimar

We have good options centrally and barely any options out wide. Thats a theme thats been consistent through the last 3 seasons of MMs time in charge- overloaded with central midfielders or players that want to play as a No. 10, but having to ask players to play out of position to fill the gaps if we want to play with any sort of width.
I think thats down to a lack of clear intent in terms of what our predominant/best system is going to be each season.

I cant see any merit keeping Hyam. He offers very little going forward and his forward passing is generally poor. On that basis, hes only really going to play as a DM and clearly Skuse is way ahead of him there, but so is Downes who surely should play ahead of him. Not to mention that Adeyemi might also cover there if needed- though I suspect he would be more of an all-rounder.

Bishop is an outstanding talent and if he finds fitness, then hes as good as any midfielder we have and arguably worth more too- after all, we know hes ready to play at this level, weve already seen it.
He wont be on a big wage and so would be worth retaining to see how it plays out. Also, if youre an incoming manager, you really dont want one of your first moves to be releasing a popular and talented youth prospect when it wont cost much to retain them for a year.

The fact that your post is 80% about CMs and 20% at the end about wide players probably speaks volumes!
Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 20:06 - Apr 16 with 2999 viewsjas0999

Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 16:12 - Apr 16 by homer_123

I'd keep both Hyam and Bishop.

I think Hyam has come back very well from his period on the sidelines. I also think he came back from his loan spell at Rothers and looked a much better player for it. He's a proper DM and I think a very good squad player that we need.

Bishop, I'd keep, even if only on a 12 month contract. Appreciate this might cause an issue with the development of the likes of Nydam, Downes and Dozzell but those three are all still very young and won't really be able to play week in and week out. I'd give Bish 12 months to see if he can stay injury free and get back to his level of play that we know he can do. Nothing to lose and not more of a gamble than bringing someone new in.

The problem with keeping Hyam, is it simply doesn’t work with Skuse. Do we need to keep another defence minded player?

Bishop is so very injury prone. Sadly.
Login to get fewer ads

Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 21:09 - Apr 16 with 2928 viewsWestcountryblue

I think get rid of Gleeson...not too sure why Gleeson was brought in ahead of Bru, but they can both go.

If i were the new incoming manager, i would be tasking Andy Liddell with getting Dozzell, Bishop and Huws fit and firing on all cylinders before the start of pre season. I think Bishop in particular gives us something that all of our current midfielders lack, and that's the ability to drift past players and run at defenders. Few players who can do that at this level, stay in the Championship for long...

I think Hyam is worth another contract, but Downes (who similarly has a great engine and tenacity) is by far and away the superior player. So, a season loan for Luke with a recall would be a smart move.

If we have our full compliment of midfielders, i'd like to see Skuse phased out of the team slowly as we will only need one defensive midfielder. Downes is the future and has to start in this position. Perhaps he could take on more of a coaching role under the new management.

Outwide, if we can manage Carayol wisely, it would be great to if we could get 20-30 games out of him as he's been a real asset since coming in. But i'd like to see Ward convert to a right back and 1-2 more wide players come in.

Think we will have a great midfield if we can get everybody fit and bring in some wide players.
Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 03:06 - Apr 17 with 2799 viewsharlingblue

Skuse, Downes, Dozzell, Hyam, Nydam plus a recognised playmaker to be bought.
Gleeson, Bru to be released.
Bishop, Adeyemi and Huws, either get fit and earn your worth or move on, as you have taken, from a very small pot, and not given anything to OUR CLUB this year.
Rowe should have been given a chance this year, but in the MM line up he had no chance, worth a punt. Ward could be a good winger, has pace but not quality of cross, could be best as attacking fullback, will make the odd mistake as he converts.
Carayol to up his game and fitness, want to be at OUR CLUB and to be worthy of a contract, that could excite us FANS.
By the way, I would love CCV to be a part of our defence for next year, I have a good feel for him at our club.
Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 05:57 - Apr 17 with 2756 viewsgobs93

people keep going on about how Downes and Nydam are there so don't need Hyam and Bishop. Downes can't get in the Luton side, not even off the bench and I've seen Nydam getting quite alot of stick for being too weak on here.

I don't know how people think they will both be in the team week in week out next season. They need development. Hyam and Bishop both give us decent options (hoping they stay fit).

Skuse is the only midfielder we can consistently rely on out of Huws/Adeyemi/Downes/Nydam/Bishop/Hyam/Dozzell (just coz of his very long term injury). Heres hoping we keep most of them fit!
Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 07:38 - Apr 17 with 2682 viewsGuru_of_Ipswich

Definitely keep Bishop, perhaps with the change of manager will bring a change in training schedule which might hopefully clear up his injury issues, as others have said he has abilities that our other midfields lack and once fit would be a top championship midfielder at the very least.

Hyam is a tough one, it’s always handy to have a tough midfielder like him but I always feel he is one tackle away from a red card. He would probably be a regular league one starter for a club but I feel the championship is probably a step to far.
Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 08:13 - Apr 17 with 2631 viewstextbackup

Huws, Adeymi, Bishop, Nydam, Downes, Ward, Dozzell, Skuse.

hyam isn't good enough - simply. not sure what the hell anyone has ever seen to suggest he'd get in ahead of any of the above.

regarding signings, would like an attacking wide man (loan) cellina has been very hot and cold, but I don't see that's all on him, playing under the previous managers system wouldn't help him flourish as a player, he will have learnt to improve on the nitty gritty, but wouldn't help him take games by the scruff of the neck

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Central midfield / wide options next season..... on 09:38 - Apr 17 with 2529 viewsrickw

I agree with most others on here - lose Bru & Gleeson and keep the others.

Hyam can do a job for the team - he has his limitations and can't play with Skuse, if he's used solely as a ball winning midfielder who has more creative players around him I think people will see his use. Unfortunately Mick often asked him to be the more attacking midfielder which really doesn't play to Hyam's strengths....

Bishop needs to know that this is his last chance and he really has to stay focused

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024