Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to 17:34 - Apr 16 with 6628 viewsSteve_M

He's right, this is a national disgrace. To everyone other than the Prime Minister it seems.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 17:38 - Apr 16 with 5662 viewsitfcjoe

Yep, it’s awful - plenty of individuals tales about this are pretty harrowing and heart breaking

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 17:41 - Apr 16 with 5639 viewsfooters

He's spot on. People like that, my family included, who came to post-war Britain have made this country a much better, more diverse place. Modern Britain was built by these people and we owe them a lot.

And surprise, surprise in Rudd being a horrible t0sser shocker.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 17:42 - Apr 16 with 5628 viewsGlasgowBlue

It should never have got to this. Rudd is turning out to be even more awful a Home Secretary than her predecessor.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 18:20 - Apr 16 with 5514 viewsfactual_blue

I hope a gif appears of amber rudd's 'rabbit in the headlights' face.

That was a Lammy Slammy.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 20:59 - Apr 16 with 5342 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

I agree that anyone who's been working legally in this country for over ten years should be granted citizenship, but what are the numbers he's talking about? And what was the impediment to them being granted citizenship before it got to this stage?
David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 21:11 - Apr 16 with 5310 viewsSuperfrans

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 20:59 - Apr 16 by FrowsyArmLarry

I agree that anyone who's been working legally in this country for over ten years should be granted citizenship, but what are the numbers he's talking about? And what was the impediment to them being granted citizenship before it got to this stage?

From my limited understanding of the situation, these were people who were citizens, or at least always thought they were, came to this country as kids and have never got a passport so never formalised their citizenship. Utterly shameful for them to be treated this way.
[Post edited 16 Apr 2018 21:12]

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 21:34 - Apr 16 with 5269 viewsBloomBlue

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 21:11 - Apr 16 by Superfrans

From my limited understanding of the situation, these were people who were citizens, or at least always thought they were, came to this country as kids and have never got a passport so never formalised their citizenship. Utterly shameful for them to be treated this way.

I'll admit I don't really understand the whole situation so just an inquisitive question; why has it just come to light now why weren't they given the citizenship previously?
David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 21:34 - Apr 16 with 5268 viewsgordon

Absolutely disgusting - and worth pointing out the relentless work that the Guardian and Amelia Gentleman have done so far in trying to make the public aware to try and force Rudd / May to acknowledge the problem.

Things will look pretty awful when the full extent of what's happened comes out, I suspect.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/16/windrush-u-turn-welcome-but-ther
Login to get fewer ads

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 21:38 - Apr 16 with 5250 viewsHurleyBurley

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 17:42 - Apr 16 by GlasgowBlue

It should never have got to this. Rudd is turning out to be even more awful a Home Secretary than her predecessor.

Then she's just one step away from PM.

Poll: World Cup final: Who do you WANT to win?

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 21:40 - Apr 16 with 5243 viewsfooters

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 21:34 - Apr 16 by BloomBlue

I'll admit I don't really understand the whole situation so just an inquisitive question; why has it just come to light now why weren't they given the citizenship previously?

My guess is that documentation then, and still is in some places, was very sketchy or non-existent. Only when my nanny died some eighteen years ago did my grandad have to get his birth certificates from Ireland. That was a massive headache, ended up retrieving a scribble from some backwater parish church in Mayo.

If you are literally invited into a country, it's surely understandable that you wouldn't necessarily worry about it. Times have changed now though, and proper documentation/registration is a must in almost all aspects of our day-to-day existence.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 21:45 - Apr 16 with 5216 viewsBloomBlue

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 21:40 - Apr 16 by footers

My guess is that documentation then, and still is in some places, was very sketchy or non-existent. Only when my nanny died some eighteen years ago did my grandad have to get his birth certificates from Ireland. That was a massive headache, ended up retrieving a scribble from some backwater parish church in Mayo.

If you are literally invited into a country, it's surely understandable that you wouldn't necessarily worry about it. Times have changed now though, and proper documentation/registration is a must in almost all aspects of our day-to-day existence.

Thanks, makes sense, I was thinking why weren't they given citizenship by default as they had been invited
David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 22:57 - Apr 16 with 5138 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 17:42 - Apr 16 by GlasgowBlue

Should we spend the next 2 years trying to convince the forum that May's Conservative party ("we will create a hostile environment for (illegal) immigrants") is a racist party!
[Post edited 16 Apr 2018 22:58]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 23:07 - Apr 16 with 5118 viewstractordownsouth

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 21:38 - Apr 16 by HurleyBurley

Then she's just one step away from PM.

Her majority is only a few hundred, so she's in danger of being unseated in the next election.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 23:25 - Apr 16 with 5086 viewsRyorry

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 21:11 - Apr 16 by Superfrans

So because the Govt. fcked up back then, the Govt. now is having to deal with the situation, and is doing so by fcking up in an even worse way - deliberately & completely unnecessarily creating a bureaucratic, blind, stupid, officious & heartless tick-box system.

No-one can any longer be in any doubt about how stunningly stupid, ignorant & lacking in morality this Govt. is

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 23:37 - Apr 16 with 5064 viewsElderGrizzly

Even the Daily Mail has turned on the Government to protect immigrants.

That’as a signal for the end of days isn’t it? 😳

[Post edited 16 Apr 2018 23:37]
David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 00:55 - Apr 17 with 4994 viewshomer_123

As you know Steve, I posted on this the other day. Bloody shocking.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 01:15 - Apr 17 with 4975 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 21:40 - Apr 16 by footers

Computerisation makes a lot of this stuff binary.

I’d still like to know the numbers though. If we’re only talking about a couple of hundred cases this is just another case of having a stick to beat the government with re: identity politics.
David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 06:35 - Apr 17 with 4867 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 01:15 - Apr 17 by FrowsyArmLarry

Computerisation makes a lot of this stuff binary.

I’d still like to know the numbers though. If we’re only talking about a couple of hundred cases this is just another case of having a stick to beat the government with re: identity politics.

I believe 50,000 was mentioned on newsnight.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 06:49 - Apr 17 with 4857 viewstcblue

I was watching the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics the other day. What's happened in less than six years to this country? That was a celebration of multicultural Britain, of the NHS....it feels like a different country.
David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 06:54 - Apr 17 with 4848 viewsvapour_trail

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 06:49 - Apr 17 by tcblue

I was watching the opening ceremony of the 2012 Olympics the other day. What's happened in less than six years to this country? That was a celebration of multicultural Britain, of the NHS....it feels like a different country.

To be fair I remember a lot of people moaning on here that night about that ceremony being politicised in bringing immigration and the nhs to the party.

I’d suggest most people on here would not celebrate multicultural Britain, but view it as a mistake.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 06:59 - Apr 17 with 4835 viewstcblue

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 06:54 - Apr 17 by vapour_trail

To be fair I remember a lot of people moaning on here that night about that ceremony being politicised in bringing immigration and the nhs to the party.

I’d suggest most people on here would not celebrate multicultural Britain, but view it as a mistake.

Yeah, but they're weak minded rubes
David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 07:35 - Apr 17 with 4771 viewschicoazul

This is all a big smokescreen for the introduction of ID cards.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 07:45 - Apr 17 with 4757 viewsSteve_M

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 21:45 - Apr 16 by BloomBlue

Thanks, makes sense, I was thinking why weren't they given citizenship by default as they had been invited

To add to the other answer, part of the reason this is all coming to light now is purely age-related: people are reaching retirement age, needing medical treatment and so only now need to demonstrate citizenship.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 08:41 - Apr 17 with 4692 viewsRadlett_blue

Yes, the Home Office appears not to be fit for purpose.
Another example of why is that it has routinely failed to deport foreign criminals, including murderers, after they have completed their sentences.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

David Lammy in Parliament today should be listened to on 09:44 - Apr 17 with 4623 viewsArcher4721

"If you lay down with dogs you get fleas"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024