Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pretty please question to decorators 13:16 - Apr 17 with 5500 viewsgiant_stow

I've managed to strip half of a vinal wallpaper off a wall, leaving it's papery under layer still on there. Should I get this bit off before re-papering with lining paper or is it ok to just do the lining paper straight over the half-removed old wallpaper?

Not bothered os much by lumps - more wonderring if it'll stick on properly.

Many thanks.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:24 - Apr 17 with 4762 viewsGuthrum

You're better to strip it completely. The papery underneath will soak off pretty easily once the vinyl layer is removed. Give it a good wet and it may even peel off in sheets, if you're careful.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:26 - Apr 17 with 4749 viewsgiant_stow

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:24 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

You're better to strip it completely. The papery underneath will soak off pretty easily once the vinyl layer is removed. Give it a good wet and it may even peel off in sheets, if you're careful.

I was afraid that was the answer, but you also offer hope!

Many thanks Guthrum

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:28 - Apr 17 with 4737 viewsLord_Lucan

Get a plasterer in and skim the fecker.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:31 - Apr 17 with 4735 viewsDanFord

What I did in the same situation was move my trophy cabinet so that it covered it up but that won't really work for you.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:33 - Apr 17 with 4726 viewsgiant_stow

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:28 - Apr 17 by Lord_Lucan

Get a plasterer in and skim the fecker.

chuckle, thats the last resort once i've made a mess of it all!

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:35 - Apr 17 with 4719 viewsLord_Lucan

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:33 - Apr 17 by giant_stow

chuckle, thats the last resort once i've made a mess of it all!

But you can paint the bloody thing then. Have you tried laying paper?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:46 - Apr 17 with 4701 viewsgiant_stow

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:35 - Apr 17 by Lord_Lucan

But you can paint the bloody thing then. Have you tried laying paper?

no, never done it before - is it difficult then? I'd try painting straight on to the stripped wall, but it looks a bit swiss chease like.

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:48 - Apr 17 with 4696 viewstcblue

You've done the hard part! Soak the lining paper with some wallpaper remover and warm water (I use a pump action spray gun, just be careful to put something under the skirting boards to catch the drips), wait literally five minutes and peel off in very satisfying complete strips.
Login to get fewer ads

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:52 - Apr 17 with 4685 viewsgiant_stow

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:48 - Apr 17 by tcblue

You've done the hard part! Soak the lining paper with some wallpaper remover and warm water (I use a pump action spray gun, just be careful to put something under the skirting boards to catch the drips), wait literally five minutes and peel off in very satisfying complete strips.

Cheers mr - warm water, five mins. I'm gonna do it! woo!

Pretty please question to decorators on 17:55 - Apr 17 with 4609 viewsgiant_stow

Just had a little trial run and you fellas were right! Comes off nicely - might not even need to paper afterwards, so thanks loads.

Pretty please question to decorators on 17:57 - Apr 17 with 4604 viewsMullet

Pretty please question to decorators on 17:55 - Apr 17 by giant_stow

Just had a little trial run and you fellas were right! Comes off nicely - might not even need to paper afterwards, so thanks loads.

Should just knock through.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Pretty please question to decorators on 17:59 - Apr 17 with 4602 viewshoppy

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:24 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

You'll confuse him with that kind of talk... that's sounding a bit like a family gathering for him...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Pretty please question to decorators on 18:00 - Apr 17 with 4596 viewsMullet

Pretty please question to decorators on 17:59 - Apr 17 by hoppy

You'll confuse him with that kind of talk... that's sounding a bit like a family gathering for him...

FFS I've just eaten a couple of sausages hoppy.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Pretty please question to decorators on 18:01 - Apr 17 with 4593 viewshoppy

Pretty please question to decorators on 18:00 - Apr 17 by Mullet

FFS I've just eaten a couple of sausages hoppy.

Sorry. Too soon?

Pretty please question to decorators on 18:09 - Apr 17 with 4572 viewsgiant_stow

Pretty please question to decorators on 18:01 - Apr 17 by hoppy

Sorry. Too soon?

Well you've got me hot and steamy.

Pretty please question to decorators on 18:35 - Apr 17 with 4534 viewshoppy

Pretty please question to decorators on 18:09 - Apr 17 by giant_stow

Well you've got me hot and steamy.

That's just wrong, especially after your "Not bothered so much by lumps - more wonderring if it'll stick on properly." comment...

Pretty please question to decorators on 19:53 - Apr 17 with 4493 viewsGuthrum

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:46 - Apr 17 by giant_stow

no, never done it before - is it difficult then? I'd try painting straight on to the stripped wall, but it looks a bit swiss chease like.

If you're going to paint the wall after stripping it, give it a coat of very dilute PVA glue (called size) first. Seals in any remaining wallpaper paste and helps the paint stick.

There are various knacks to wallpapering. Cutting top and bottom being the most difficult. Trick is using a really sharp box-cutter style knife. Snap off a new segment of blade for virtually every drop.

Pretty please question to decorators on 19:58 - Apr 17 with 4485 viewsGuthrum

Pretty please question to decorators on 17:55 - Apr 17 by giant_stow

Old painted woodchip can be the worst stuff. Often virtually have to chisel it off the wall.

Pretty please question to decorators on 20:02 - Apr 17 with 4481 viewsLord_Lucan

Pretty please question to decorators on 19:58 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

Old painted woodchip can be the worst stuff. Often virtually have to chisel it off the wall.

I have a rather large hall of that sh1t - which is putting me off decorating.

Pretty please question to decorators on 20:03 - Apr 17 with 4481 viewsEdwardStone

Pretty please question to decorators on 19:53 - Apr 17 by Guthrum

If you're going to paint the wall after stripping it, give it a coat of very dilute PVA glue (called size) first. Seals in any remaining wallpaper paste and helps the paint stick.

There are various knacks to wallpapering. Cutting top and bottom being the most difficult. Trick is using a really sharp box-cutter style knife. Snap off a new segment of blade for virtually every drop.

Very much this, if you are papering

Before I knew a good decorator, I had a couple of attempts

One of those plasticy craft knives (not Stanley knife) with the snap off blades.... and snap off a bit after every swipe

That is the secret of success

IMHO
Pretty please question to decorators on 20:13 - Apr 17 with 4463 viewsgiant_stow

Pretty please question to decorators on 20:03 - Apr 17 by EdwardStone

Very much this, if you are papering

Before I knew a good decorator, I had a couple of attempts

One of those plasticy craft knives (not Stanley knife) with the snap off blades.... and snap off a bit after every swipe

That is the secret of success

IMHO

That sounds like a cracking tip, thanks - I take it that it just gets too coated in paste?

Pretty please question to decorators on 20:23 - Apr 17 with 4446 viewsWestover

Pretty please question to decorators on 13:31 - Apr 17 by DanFord

What I did in the same situation was move my trophy cabinet so that it covered it up but that won't really work for you.

It wouldn't work for Norwich FC either would it 😋
Pretty please question to decorators on 20:51 - Apr 17 with 4422 viewsEdwardStone

Pretty please question to decorators on 20:13 - Apr 17 by giant_stow

That sounds like a cracking tip, thanks - I take it that it just gets too coated in paste?

Seems to pull on the fibres in the paper....

Gives a rip rather than a cut

The paste softens the paper

Best tip: Get Mr Guthrum to do it for you

Pretty please question to decorators on 21:18 - Apr 17 with 4392 viewsgiant_stow

Pretty please question to decorators on 20:51 - Apr 17 by EdwardStone

Seems to pull on the fibres in the paper....

Gives a rip rather than a cut

The paste softens the paper

Best tip: Get Mr Guthrum to do it for you

Chuckle, if only!

Pretty please question to decorators on 21:50 - Apr 17 with 4355 viewsGuthrum

Pretty please question to decorators on 20:13 - Apr 17 by giant_stow

Goes blunt surprisingly quickly. Suppose soggy paper is like wet wood with a handsaw.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024