Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reading away 20:04 - Apr 21 with 5561 viewsSmithy

Is it truly one of the worst away days, I understand the ground to be pretty soulless etc. And a bit of a pain to get to, was thinking of going next week but would appreciate the vibe from those who have done it before, cheers.

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Reading away on 20:07 - Apr 21 with 5527 viewsRadlett_blue

Viewing is good but it's a modern soulless bowl. Getting there by public transport is fine - the shuttle buses from Reading Station work fine, but getting back is a nightmare. The buses assemble at the home end & by the time the way fans get there, the queues are massive. I had to wait 45 minutes 1 year. The alternative is a 45 minute walk back to town, often along the central reservation of a dual carriageway. Driving isn't too bad as you don't have to go through the town & there are reasonable car parks in the nearby industrial estate or hotel.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Reading away on 20:08 - Apr 21 with 5516 viewsm14_blue

It's awful. Football's version of the dementors in Harry Potter, sucks the joy from the world.

And we always lose.

Don't bother
Reading away on 20:09 - Apr 21 with 5509 viewswkj

I wont do Reading, it always feels like a chore more than a day out

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Reading away on 20:09 - Apr 21 with 5510 viewsTractorCam

Horrible ground in a horrible place. I've been 4 times!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Reading away on 20:13 - Apr 21 with 5489 viewshomer_123

Reading away on 20:09 - Apr 21 by TractorCam

Horrible ground in a horrible place. I've been 4 times!

Planning on a 5th just to make sure?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Reading away on 20:16 - Apr 21 with 5478 viewsTractorCam

Reading away on 20:13 - Apr 21 by homer_123

Planning on a 5th just to make sure?

Haha maybe 5th time is the charm? Not this saturday though!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Reading away on 21:27 - Apr 21 with 5351 viewsMullet

It's like Wigan. But instead of friendly locals it's all people who complain at supermarkets, have the sh1ttest chant in all of Footballdom and really offer nothing but reasons to loather them that the Elm Park lot don't deserve.

I hate it.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Reading away on 21:29 - Apr 21 with 5333 viewsGeoffSentence

Reading away on 21:27 - Apr 21 by Mullet

It's like Wigan. But instead of friendly locals it's all people who complain at supermarkets, have the sh1ttest chant in all of Footballdom and really offer nothing but reasons to loather them that the Elm Park lot don't deserve.

I hate it.

Haha, they really do have the shlttest chant don't they, nothing says tinpot more than that chant.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Reading away on 21:31 - Apr 21 with 5329 viewsITFC_Forever

Complete pain in the backside.

Station is a nightmare to get back to, if you travel by car, the M4 is also a nightmare to get back to.

The ground is a soulless identikit bowl with absolutely no character whatsoever.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Reading away on 22:31 - Apr 21 with 5208 views3_5_2

Shocking "modern" stadium, home fans close to us are all about 14 years old giving the old w@ankers sign all game Awful to get to and if you park at the ground a nightmare to get out of afterwards

I have been 4 times and hate the place, mainly due having seen us lose 4 times there

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Reading away on 22:50 - Apr 21 with 5162 viewsEdwardStone

I would venture that you have been doing it wrong

A better approach is to visit "The Volunteer" in Theale...small town a couple of miles to the west on the A4....

Arrive 12 ish....drink 4 or 5 pints of Fullers ESB, truly the nectar of the Gods

What happens next is a delicious but blurry memory

I have been known to ask my chauffeur on the way home "Have we been to see the footy yet??"

Rinse and repeat...year after bloody year

Works every time for me

Catch me there and I shall buy you a pint of God's finest
Reading away on 23:46 - Apr 21 with 5078 viewsTendring_Blue

Reading away on 22:50 - Apr 21 by EdwardStone

I would venture that you have been doing it wrong

A better approach is to visit "The Volunteer" in Theale...small town a couple of miles to the west on the A4....

Arrive 12 ish....drink 4 or 5 pints of Fullers ESB, truly the nectar of the Gods

What happens next is a delicious but blurry memory

I have been known to ask my chauffeur on the way home "Have we been to see the footy yet??"

Rinse and repeat...year after bloody year

Works every time for me

Catch me there and I shall buy you a pint of God's finest

Fullers ESB, you have good taste! A fine bitter.

Mmmmmmm
Reading away on 23:50 - Apr 21 with 5068 viewsSuperTommySmith

I've been three times and it's an awful ground. Fans are boring, stadium is boring, pain to get back from. Unless the game looks likely to matter I doubt I'll go again.
Reading away on 00:00 - Apr 22 with 5036 viewsHARRY10

Reading away on 20:07 - Apr 21 by Radlett_blue

Viewing is good but it's a modern soulless bowl. Getting there by public transport is fine - the shuttle buses from Reading Station work fine, but getting back is a nightmare. The buses assemble at the home end & by the time the way fans get there, the queues are massive. I had to wait 45 minutes 1 year. The alternative is a 45 minute walk back to town, often along the central reservation of a dual carriageway. Driving isn't too bad as you don't have to go through the town & there are reasonable car parks in the nearby industrial estate or hotel.

Spot on

Give me a ground in the centre where you have to walk through rows of terraced streets, have a chance of being 'chased' by some locals.

Can visit proper pubs and marvel at the different stands that are cobbled together that make the ground and indicate the varying fortunes of clubs.

Apart from seeing the game in a soul less empty warehouse there is little else to attract.
Reading away on 00:28 - Apr 22 with 4990 viewsStNeotsBlue

Reading away on 20:07 - Apr 21 by Radlett_blue

It isn't great but it certainly isn't as awful as some make out. If you're on the train avoid the bus back to town by walking to the hotel/bar place, 5 minute walk from ground, have a drink and phone a taxi to take you to the station.
Reading away on 06:43 - Apr 22 with 4877 viewsJohnny_Boy

Reading away on 23:50 - Apr 21 by SuperTommySmith

I've been three times and it's an awful ground. Fans are boring, stadium is boring, pain to get back from. Unless the game looks likely to matter I doubt I'll go again.

Maybe I'm just in the minority of never having an issue visiting there.
In regards to being a pain - a visit to the Ricoh was distinctly a bitch. Train station, city centre & football ground all completely miles away from each other.

Considering it's only a 15min walk from Madejeski to train station....you've got the Guineas pub there also.
Reading away on 07:05 - Apr 22 with 4857 viewsHARRY10

Reading away on 06:43 - Apr 22 by Johnny_Boy

Maybe I'm just in the minority of never having an issue visiting there.
In regards to being a pain - a visit to the Ricoh was distinctly a bitch. Train station, city centre & football ground all completely miles away from each other.

Considering it's only a 15min walk from Madejeski to train station....you've got the Guineas pub there also.

15 mins ! ! !

took me the best part of an hour

(and I wasn't issued' with anything either)

you could not have walked nearly 3 mile in 15 minutes, the world record for running 3.10 miles (5K) is 12.37 secs
Reading away on 07:14 - Apr 22 with 4849 viewsJohnny_Boy

Reading away on 07:05 - Apr 22 by HARRY10

15 mins ! ! !

took me the best part of an hour

(and I wasn't issued' with anything either)

you could not have walked nearly 3 mile in 15 minutes, the world record for running 3.10 miles (5K) is 12.37 secs

In all fairness, it was a while ago. I didn't think it took particularly long. Maybe it was the booze consumed. We cut through loads of 2nd hand car garages for a quicker bee-line to civilisation.

The walk from Derby station to Pride Park is quite deceptive too. You can see this huge stadium which seems 'close' - but you just keep walking - seemingly never getting any closer. Like an optical illusion.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2018 7:20]
Reading away on 08:16 - Apr 22 with 4740 viewsBurwell_Blue

Reading away on 07:14 - Apr 22 by Johnny_Boy

In all fairness, it was a while ago. I didn't think it took particularly long. Maybe it was the booze consumed. We cut through loads of 2nd hand car garages for a quicker bee-line to civilisation.

The walk from Derby station to Pride Park is quite deceptive too. You can see this huge stadium which seems 'close' - but you just keep walking - seemingly never getting any closer. Like an optical illusion.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2018 7:20]

Having lived in Reading for ten years it definitely isn’t 15 minutes, however there are ways from the ground to the station that adds about five minutes from going direct and takes you past five pubs.
Reading away on 11:08 - Apr 23 with 4459 viewsNo_Moore_Kieffer

I'm only going for the simple reason that I've not been before. May be the only time I go, unless we have something riding on a future visit, or are able to relegate what is a truly boring football club.
Reading away on 11:13 - Apr 23 with 4439 viewshatch

Go every year, lose every year, going again this year.

We usually hop a black cab to the ground and back - I can see how it could be difficult but never found it too hard myself.
Reading away on 11:18 - Apr 23 with 4420 viewsbluewein

Going as it's pretty much on the doorstep for me.

5 minute train, in the Three Guineas (only the one as it's pretty expensive) then into the centre for a while before black cabbing it.

I understand people find it a pain. I guess I'm just used to it now...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Reading away on 11:38 - Apr 23 with 4390 viewsCurrie10

I don't think it's quite as bad as people say - decent ground itself etc and a bit of banter with a small pocket of away chavy idiots to the right of the away who refer to their club as 'super' .....

That being said, it's another Bolton / Coventry in where the ground is located / lack of pubs around / bit of a treck from the train station and far from a good away day as we know it.

I've been several times and the best I've seen us do is draw 1-1 there. The 04/05 game I can remember like it was yesterday - 10 superb players + Karbiassoon for us ( 10 hammering them, him trying to help Reading win! ) and a very, very complete display over 90 minutes. We mullered them, and they sodding got out of jail late....

I missed the Stead bicycle kick 1-0 win, typically.......

Also seen Sheff Weds draw 1-1 there, and Reading beat PNE 5-1 on a Tuesday night (9 man PNE) as it turned out with 2 red cards. They were VERY good with 9 - the complete opposite to us at Peterborough...........

It's certainly worth going to once and making your own mind up.
Reading away on 11:51 - Apr 23 with 4350 viewsazuremerlangus

Agree that it isn't the greatest away day but for me it is one of the most convenient away matches to get to from Hampshire.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Reading away on 11:55 - Apr 23 with 4335 viewsSteve_M

Reading away on 11:38 - Apr 23 by Currie10

I don't think it's quite as bad as people say - decent ground itself etc and a bit of banter with a small pocket of away chavy idiots to the right of the away who refer to their club as 'super' .....

That being said, it's another Bolton / Coventry in where the ground is located / lack of pubs around / bit of a treck from the train station and far from a good away day as we know it.

I've been several times and the best I've seen us do is draw 1-1 there. The 04/05 game I can remember like it was yesterday - 10 superb players + Karbiassoon for us ( 10 hammering them, him trying to help Reading win! ) and a very, very complete display over 90 minutes. We mullered them, and they sodding got out of jail late....

I missed the Stead bicycle kick 1-0 win, typically.......

Also seen Sheff Weds draw 1-1 there, and Reading beat PNE 5-1 on a Tuesday night (9 man PNE) as it turned out with 2 red cards. They were VERY good with 9 - the complete opposite to us at Peterborough...........

It's certainly worth going to once and making your own mind up.

Actually, we were far better with nine men at Peterborough than at any other point in the game, Delaney played superbly and they only scored again right at the very end.

Reading is still a crap away trip though, it's the bus from the town centre (which isn't exactly great) that makes it so frustrating, that and normally losing there.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024