Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday 16:40 - Apr 22 with 7515 viewsReuser_is_God

Skuse allowing Hourihane to get ahead of him

Jonas getting rolled so easily

CCV pass

Skuse not tracking Lansbury

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 16:49 - Apr 22 with 5210 viewsDurovigutum

1. Deflection
2. Should have been stopped two players prior
3. Not great
4. Hot day, down to ten, trying to score a goal.

Sending off? He wasn't even looking at the player and put his foot down to follow the ball. Villa player reaction really didn't help...
4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 16:52 - Apr 22 with 5199 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 16:49 - Apr 22 by Durovigutum

1. Deflection
3. Not great

Sending off? He wasn't even looking at the player and put his foot down to follow the ball. Villa player reaction really didn't help...

Most blatant red card I’ve seen at our ground since the tackle on Didzy earlier this season that wasn’t even given as a card. The one that injured him.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 17:08 - Apr 22 with 5157 viewsstrikalite

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 16:52 - Apr 22 by The_Romford_Blue

Most blatant red card I’ve seen at our ground since the tackle on Didzy earlier this season that wasn’t even given as a card. The one that injured him.

Straight red all day long, intent or not it was a shocker...the boos were purely down to the fact that we knew it was game over against a top side with 45 to go...the right decision but it ruined the game and we knew it..
4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 17:11 - Apr 22 with 5154 viewsDarth_Koont

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 16:52 - Apr 22 by The_Romford_Blue

I couldn't disagree more.

Yesterday's decision is what VAR is made for. Yes, Ward had his foot up going into Taylor but it was obvious from what happened that a) he was following the ball in the air and his foot was up as a result, b) there was no " "excessive force" and no followthrough c) the reaction of the Newcastle player and their bench played into the decision.

All of which could have been mitigated by a review of the footage. So yes, I understand why in real time it looked a bad challenge but I thought we (and Ward) were exceptionally unlucky based on where his foot ended up rather than what was intended.

A review could have seen clear confirmation that it was a foul, possibly a yellow as arguably reckless play and trying to send a message with a warning, but beyond that it didn't have the necessary ingredients for a straight red.

I hope we appeal.

And nothing like the challenge on Didsy where he went into the challenge with his studs up and with excessive force, despite seeing the ball and the player all the way.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2018 17:12]

Pronouns: He/Him

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 17:24 - Apr 22 with 5116 viewstractorboy1978

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 17:11 - Apr 22 by Darth_Koont

Yesterday's decision is what VAR is made for. Yes, Ward had his foot up going into Taylor but it was obvious from what happened that a) he was following the ball in the air and his foot was up as a result, b) there was no " "excessive force" and no followthrough c) the reaction of the Newcastle player and their bench played into the decision.

All of which could have been mitigated by a review of the footage. So yes, I understand why in real time it looked a bad challenge but I thought we (and Ward) were exceptionally unlucky based on where his foot ended up rather than what was intended.

A review could have seen clear confirmation that it was a foul, possibly a yellow as arguably reckless play and trying to send a message with a warning, but beyond that it didn't have the necessary ingredients for a straight red.

I hope we appeal.

And nothing like the challenge on Didsy where he went into the challenge with his studs up and with excessive force, despite seeing the ball and the player all the way.

We’d get laughed at if we appealed that. It was a clear red card, intent is not relevant. It was dangerous and the player was fortunate not to come away injured.
4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 17:39 - Apr 22 with 5075 viewsDarth_Koont

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 17:24 - Apr 22 by tractorboy1978

We’d get laughed at if we appealed that. It was a clear red card, intent is not relevant. It was dangerous and the player was fortunate not to come away injured.

Can you refer to the law and say how it was a red card?

As an interpretation in real time, yes. Doesn't hold up when watching the incident more closely.

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 17:40 - Apr 22 with 5066 viewsBluesquid

I thought Spence and Hyam were at fault for the first.
After initially being pulled wide Spence regained his position and then done absolutely nothing along with Hyam to block the shot. Both of them just ball watching really.

The last one, Spence again for me. Now i know we were a man and 3 goals down but there is no excuse for that kind of defending imo.
If you look at it again it's almost as if Bjarnason had a freekick because Spence just let him cross it in - no attempt whatsover to even block or challenge.
Watch it again and you will see Bjarnason actually tee it up first for the cross with Spence doing...well nothing really.
4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 17:40 - Apr 22 with 5061 viewsDennyx4

Personally thought the first one was down to Spence letting his main get goal side in the first place.
Login to get fewer ads

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 18:07 - Apr 22 with 4972 viewsmeekreech

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 17:11 - Apr 22 by Darth_Koont

I hope we appeal.

Can't appeal a red card for a foul only in a case of mistaken identity .

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 18:29 - Apr 22 with 4940 viewslongtimefan

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 18:07 - Apr 22 by meekreech

Sorry that’s not correct. An appeal against a red card for serious foul play is allowed ie. a straight red and had been successful on many an occasion. What can’t be appealed is a red card for a second caution.
4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 18:36 - Apr 22 with 4925 viewslongtimefan

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 17:39 - Apr 22 by Darth_Koont

Can you refer to the law and say how it was a red card?

As an interpretation in real time, yes. Doesn't hold up when watching the incident more closely.

The relevant law states
“Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.”

The bit that’s applicable to yesterday’s tackle is “endangers the safety of an opponent.”. I’m afraid intent doesn’t get a look in in the decision process and it’s difficult to argue that studs first to just below the knee is a safe form of tackle.
4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 18:41 - Apr 22 with 4918 viewslongtimefan

Can’t see how Skuse gets the blame for the first. He was facing the shot trying to stop it. There’s no way he’s turning around and getting in front of Hourihane. Watch the the replay, if anyone was ball watching it was actually Jonas, though even had he reacted he’d probably have been too far away. No argument with second and third. For the fourth I’d say Kenlock was the worst offender.
4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 18:57 - Apr 22 with 4881 viewsDarth_Koont

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 18:36 - Apr 22 by longtimefan

The relevant law states
“Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.”

The bit that’s applicable to yesterday’s tackle is “endangers the safety of an opponent.”. I’m afraid intent doesn’t get a look in in the decision process and it’s difficult to argue that studs first to just below the knee is a safe form of tackle.

He wasn't aware he was challenging for the ball though. And he didn't didn't lunge at the opponent.

It was taking where his foot ended up and seeing the disproportionate reaction from the player and bench that brought about the red card. Not Ward's actions in the context of the game and where the ball was. He wasn't even going for a tackle.

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 19:06 - Apr 22 with 4858 viewslongtimefan

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 18:57 - Apr 22 by Darth_Koont

He wasn't aware he was challenging for the ball though. And he didn't didn't lunge at the opponent.

It was taking where his foot ended up and seeing the disproportionate reaction from the player and bench that brought about the red card. Not Ward's actions in the context of the game and where the ball was. He wasn't even going for a tackle.

I agree with all that but as I said, intent is not factored into the decision. Unfortunately by the letter of the law he’s endangering an opponent and that’s sufficient to tick the box for a red card. Although I don’t hold Simon Hooper in high regard, he would have been “slaughtered” by an accessor had he not given that.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2018 19:07]
4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 19:11 - Apr 22 with 4844 viewsDarth_Koont

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 19:06 - Apr 22 by longtimefan

I agree with all that but as I said, intent is not factored into the decision. Unfortunately by the letter of the law he’s endangering an opponent and that’s sufficient to tick the box for a red card. Although I don’t hold Simon Hooper in high regard, he would have been “slaughtered” by an accessor had he not given that.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2018 19:07]

But any challenge can endanger an opponent.

This wasn't really a challenge though. Similarly, have you ever seen anyone get sent off for attempting an overhead kick and connecting with an opponent instead? The problem with Ward's "challenge" was that it was seen as such in real time.

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 19:17 - Apr 22 with 4830 viewslongtimefan

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 19:11 - Apr 22 by Darth_Koont

But any challenge can endanger an opponent.

This wasn't really a challenge though. Similarly, have you ever seen anyone get sent off for attempting an overhead kick and connecting with an opponent instead? The problem with Ward's "challenge" was that it was seen as such in real time.

I think i’ve seen one that did get punished but it’s a good point you make - it’s very rare. Interestingly it was yesterday’s ref that disallowed a Norwich overhead goal a couple of seasons ago for that very reason. I think it was their first home game back in the premier league three years ago.
4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 19:17 - Apr 22 with 4827 viewsjas0999

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 16:49 - Apr 22 by Durovigutum

1. Deflection
3. Not great

Agree with point one, but the rest of the defending was Terrible.

No doubt it was a red card.
4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 19:21 - Apr 22 with 4816 viewsEly_Blue

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 18:36 - Apr 22 by longtimefan

The relevant law states

Incorrect, if you re read that it says lunges at! He wasn’t even aware the player was there, his eyes were on the ball and he was merely trying to control it out of the air, the fact that the Villa player arrived in between Ward going for the ball and his foot coming down means surely Ward had nowhere else to go

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 19:22 - Apr 22 with 4815 viewsDarth_Koont

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 19:17 - Apr 22 by longtimefan

I think i’ve seen one that did get punished but it’s a good point you make - it’s very rare. Interestingly it was yesterday’s ref that disallowed a Norwich overhead goal a couple of seasons ago for that very reason. I think it was their first home game back in the premier league three years ago.

He might have a thing about any contact.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why the decision was given from the ref's position on the pitch, in real time and given the reaction from the Villa player and bench.

But it's just the sort of decision VAR is made for. I guess I'm just so used to the correct decisions being made in rugby despite what your eyes initially tell you when the game's being played at 100 mph.

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 19:28 - Apr 22 with 4794 viewslongtimefan

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 19:22 - Apr 22 by Darth_Koont

He might have a thing about any contact.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why the decision was given from the ref's position on the pitch, in real time and given the reaction from the Villa player and bench.

But it's just the sort of decision VAR is made for. I guess I'm just so used to the correct decisions being made in rugby despite what your eyes initially tell you when the game's being played at 100 mph.

Its interesting. When I did my referee training and subsequently throughout my officiating, one of the things that was drummed into you was not to try and second guess yourself - particularly the point that if you think you saw something, you probably did, so act on it!
4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 20:19 - Apr 22 with 4723 viewsDarth_Koont

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 19:28 - Apr 22 by longtimefan

Its interesting. When I did my referee training and subsequently throughout my officiating, one of the things that was drummed into you was not to try and second guess yourself - particularly the point that if you think you saw something, you probably did, so act on it!

Yeah, I think that's right. 9 times out of 10 anyway.

I think most refs do an incredible job considering the manipulation by players and the constant playing on the limits. Not to mention the pressure and abuse being chucked at them from around the ground. Hell, they even get abuse when they make the right decisions!

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 20:35 - Apr 22 with 4692 viewslongtimefan

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 20:19 - Apr 22 by Darth_Koont

Yeah, I think that's right. 9 times out of 10 anyway.

I think most refs do an incredible job considering the manipulation by players and the constant playing on the limits. Not to mention the pressure and abuse being chucked at them from around the ground. Hell, they even get abuse when they make the right decisions!

9 times out of 10 is about right. I still have nightmares about one penalty I gave where I was convinced a defender had handled the ball on the line. As soon as I whistled I could tell from the players’ reactions that it was probably wrong - confirmed after the game by two of the attacking teams players that it had hit a knee not a hand
4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 21:32 - Apr 22 with 4621 viewsVic

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 18:07 - Apr 22 by meekreech

Must have a pretty good chance of success then if it was a Newcastle player reacting. Clearly shouldn’t have been on the pitch at all.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 21:45 - Apr 22 with 4597 viewstextbackup

Think it’s keanish who has pointed out many times mistakes that Skuse has made, which is fine, it happened, but certainly doesn’t show that he’s untouchable.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

4 horrendous individual errors for their goals yesterday on 22:06 - Apr 22 with 4552 viewsRobTheMonk

1. Deflection
3. Not great

He put his foot through the players leg lol. If you tackle like that you're asking for a red.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024