Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Work 17:58 - Apr 22 with 8619 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

When did working round the clock become an acceptable norm? I might have to stop getting promoted this is ridiculous.
Work on 20:52 - Apr 22 with 3385 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Work on 20:10 - Apr 22 by vapour_trail

I was considering this the other day.

I do ok, but I check my email when I am still in bed in the morning, seven days a week, each evening and all weekend. And I respond to anything that needs it. I don’t mind to be honest prefer that to having a pile of stuff to pick up first thing in the morning.

The key is to flex both ways. Take time out of normal working hours to sort your life out and you don’t mind working on tap.

Same here really.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Work on 21:00 - Apr 22 with 3377 viewsJ2BLUE

Work on 20:18 - Apr 22 by ColchesterBlue1985

Having worked all my life in an office environment I always put in extra hours whether it be in the office early or stay late or even occasional weekends (despite office hours being 8-6) I have progressed in every company I have worked for and am not blessed with the highest level of intelligence and feel I have to make up for it by hard work. All this does come at a huge cost to my personal life though and my ex wife blamed my long office hours as one of the reason our marriage failed and couldn’t see that it paid for a house, wedding, a lovely lifestyle (considering our age) and she was thankful for it at the divorce I can assure you.

However whenever my current partner starts I put her in her place very quickly as I’ve always been like it and am not going to change now as I feel I would be shortchanging my employer now as I would be achieving/producing less than I always have.

In short I put massive pressure on myself.

I'd prefer to work less and get paid less. Might sound lazy but we have one life and I don't really want to be on call 24/7.

Only exception is if you invest that extra money and retire earlier but using the extra cash to inflate your lifestyle is something that doesn't interest me.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Work on 21:04 - Apr 22 with 3373 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Work on 21:00 - Apr 22 by J2BLUE

I'd prefer to work less and get paid less. Might sound lazy but we have one life and I don't really want to be on call 24/7.

Only exception is if you invest that extra money and retire earlier but using the extra cash to inflate your lifestyle is something that doesn't interest me.

I have been paying into my pension since I was 18 continually and although I lost a small portion of that in the divorce I should still be able to retire “early”. That’s if I don’t die of a heart attack by the time I’m 50 which I’m probably on course for.
Work on 21:13 - Apr 22 with 3352 viewstcblue

I get this isn't a thread about grumbling about workload (really), but one day I hope everyone realises nobody lies on their death bed wishing they'd spent more time of their life working.
Work on 21:25 - Apr 22 with 3334 viewsdavblue

Having worked all my life in an office environment I always put in extra hours whether it be in the office early or stay late or even occasional weekends (despite office hours being 8-6) I have progressed in every company I have worked for and am not blessed with the highest level of intelligence and feel I have to make up for it by hard work. All this does come at a huge cost to my personal life though and my ex wife blamed my long office hours as one of the reason our marriage failed and couldn’t see that it paid for a house, wedding, a lovely lifestyle (considering our age) and she was thankful for it at the divorce I can assure you.

However whenever my current partner starts I put her in her place very quickly as I’ve always been like it and am not going to change now as I feel I would be shortchanging my employer now as I would be achieving/producing less than I always have.

i leave my house at 6am,in London for 7:25, start at 8 until 4 officially but i leave at 3:45, so i can get the quick train home. I get a quick sandwich at lunch ,so all in all i give the company around an hour of my time a day.

I feel guilty leaving at that time, if i have things to do, i stay but i miss breakfast and mornings with my 2y ear old boy everyday and have done since he was 10 months old ,so i like to get home to see him in the evenings and help the Mrs out as she does it all week in the mornings taking him to nursery etc.

If i have stuff to do i will log back on after he's gone to bed.

I do think i'll regret it when i get older not seeing him in the mornings but the trade off is the time in the evenings.
Work on 21:35 - Apr 22 with 3325 viewsLord_Lucan

I do ok, but I check my email when I am still in bed in the morning, seven days a week, each evening and all weekend. And I respond to anything that needs it. I don’t mind to be honest prefer that to having a pile of stuff to pick up first thing in the morning.

The key is to flex both ways. Take time out of normal working hours to sort your life out and you don’t mind working on tap.

Whatever you do when you're not clocked you don't have to do when you are.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Work on 21:43 - Apr 22 with 3312 viewstcblue

Work on 21:35 - Apr 22 by Lord_Lucan

This, I had an 'hours culture' job very much like the craziest ones here and it was very slowly driving me a bit crazy because the leaking of it into my until-then home life (thank you, Blackberry) made me very unhappy.

I definitely brought some of it on myself for not being strong enough to say "nope" and so, when things were bad at work, things were bad everywhere because I didn't have that emotional disconnect even when I left the office.
Work on 22:44 - Apr 22 with 3273 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Work on 21:35 - Apr 22 by Lord_Lucan

Works is a big part of life. Work directly impacts my lifestyle, so I try. This first quarter was ridiculous though, never off the clock but it's working or well in the long run, just unsustainable.
Login to get fewer ads

Work on 22:48 - Apr 22 with 3270 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Exactly I don't do the bank, dentist, shopping stuff on a Saturday. Exactly right. Basically get stuff done in the week. Trouble is for the last few months after a big win, client wise I literally can''t be offline during the implementation stage. Then at the weekend I'm doing all the team internal stuff. It's ok for a few weeks but 3 months, hmmm
Work on 22:55 - Apr 22 with 3263 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Work on 21:43 - Apr 22 by tcblue

This, I had an 'hours culture' job very much like the craziest ones here and it was very slowly driving me a bit crazy because the leaking of it into my until-then home life (thank you, Blackberry) made me very unhappy.

I definitely brought some of it on myself for not being strong enough to say "nope" and so, when things were bad at work, things were bad everywhere because I didn't have that emotional disconnect even when I left the office.

Unless your job requires you to (and I mean really requires and not you think it does), the idea that devices such as those make you have to look at, let alone respond to, e-mails instantly is ridiculous.

Look after your free time and manage your stress levels. Be productive when you are working. Some of us have more flexibility over our hours than others but this idea that presenteeism leads to promotion should be knocked on the head. Perhaps in some places it does but are they really the sort of employer you want to work for?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Work on 00:49 - Apr 23 with 3212 viewsmonytowbray

What I find in a lot of these “extra hour” jobs is all the extras burn people out and the quality/efficiency of their work and they end up doing the same amount of work in an 8 hour day but stretched thinner.

That being said, I do extra hours in my job too but it’s often R&D or process improvement stuff that I don’t have the time to do in the working week as doing the client work that pays the wages is priority. I do however do it for myself knowing the personal payoff is worth it. If I’m doing stuff to go the extra mile and improve my employer’s business/assets/wage I also expect rewarding.

My Dad built a business up from 1996 and was forced to retire after his accident 3+ years ago. He said to me lately he did life backwards and should have spent more time with the family when we were all about because he’s now stuck at home all day with no one about.

The one thing I’ve always remembered someone once saying to me is “No one ever laid on their deathbed and said they wish they’d spent more time at work.” I very much work to live and although I enjoy my job most the time it is still at the end of the day something I have to do to pay the bills and afford the things I like. Anyone who says they love their job is brainwashed or lying to themselves. Unless you’d show up on your day off to do it for free then you do not love it. That for me is the difference between my work (which I get paid well for) and my band (that I do for love and not money).

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Work on 07:50 - Apr 23 with 3122 viewsGlasgowBlue

Work on 00:49 - Apr 23 by monytowbray

What I find in a lot of these “extra hour” jobs is all the extras burn people out and the quality/efficiency of their work and they end up doing the same amount of work in an 8 hour day but stretched thinner.

That being said, I do extra hours in my job too but it’s often R&D or process improvement stuff that I don’t have the time to do in the working week as doing the client work that pays the wages is priority. I do however do it for myself knowing the personal payoff is worth it. If I’m doing stuff to go the extra mile and improve my employer’s business/assets/wage I also expect rewarding.

My Dad built a business up from 1996 and was forced to retire after his accident 3+ years ago. He said to me lately he did life backwards and should have spent more time with the family when we were all about because he’s now stuck at home all day with no one about.

The one thing I’ve always remembered someone once saying to me is “No one ever laid on their deathbed and said they wish they’d spent more time at work.” I very much work to live and although I enjoy my job most the time it is still at the end of the day something I have to do to pay the bills and afford the things I like. Anyone who says they love their job is brainwashed or lying to themselves. Unless you’d show up on your day off to do it for free then you do not love it. That for me is the difference between my work (which I get paid well for) and my band (that I do for love and not money).

Is it really over three years since your dad had his accident? I remember you posting about it at the time. Hope he is doing ok as it sounded pretty bad at the time.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Work on 07:59 - Apr 23 with 3111 viewsDanTheMan

This is where I am.

I do extra work at home quite a bit (mainly because I enjoy it but shhh). I also always check my emails, Slack etc.

However, I do leave on time most days and it's never a problem if I need to work from home if I want. So overall it's all kind of on my terms.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Work on 08:39 - Apr 23 with 3084 viewsGeoffSentence

Not senior enough to delegate get though?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Work on 09:27 - Apr 23 with 3054 viewsSwansea_Blue

The longer you work the more you realise you're not actually that important (that's not a dig at you btw J4). Whatever role you're in, burger flipper to a senior management position, there'll always be someone else who will step in when you leave and things will carry on quite nicely without you. The king is dead, long live the king and all that.

Bottom line is that if you're working for someone else, there are more important things in life. Fine if you enjoy it (but still remember there are far more important things out there), but if not it makes no sense for people to wear themselves out, or work themselves up, over a job. I bet nobody on their death bed says 'I wish I'd spent even longer at my desk/in the van/at the till'.

Just don't tell any of my staff I said this!

(this is a bit hypocritical though as I was in the office til 11.30 last night )

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Work on 09:32 - Apr 23 with 3051 viewsSwansea_Blue

Work on 21:13 - Apr 22 by tcblue

I get this isn't a thread about grumbling about workload (really), but one day I hope everyone realises nobody lies on their death bed wishing they'd spent more time of their life working.

Agreed, and and just said the same as I did my usual trick of replying to the op without reading the thread first.

Work on 09:35 - Apr 23 with 3048 viewsCotty

More concerningly, when did it become the norm to brag about how much out-of-hours work people are doing (genuinely not having a pop at the OP). People are quite happy to tell me how much time they spent in the office over the weekend, in a "I'm pretending to moan but actually I'm letting you know how much harder I work than you". I'm quite happy to tell them that I don't work evenings or weekends unless there's some kind of emergency. I've still been promoted with this attitude as well. I just think that most people are pretty inefficient with their working hours*.

*Yes I will get back to work now
Work on 09:45 - Apr 23 with 3036 viewsSwansea_Blue

Work on 00:49 - Apr 23 by monytowbray

Agree with most of that except this bit - "Anyone who says they love their job is brainwashed or lying to themselves."

I'm surrounded by people who are in a particularly career because they want to be. I had a job for 8 years that I absolutely loved and was good at (not had the same since though). So it's entirely possible. Working in a job you love is a million miles away from working for money in one you don't especially enjoy. It should be where everyone tries to get to, although it's not easy.

Right, speaking of being inefficient I best leave this place alone!

Work on 09:47 - Apr 23 with 3035 viewsStokieBlue

Work on 09:35 - Apr 23 by Cotty

More concerningly, when did it become the norm to brag about how much out-of-hours work people are doing (genuinely not having a pop at the OP). People are quite happy to tell me how much time they spent in the office over the weekend, in a "I'm pretending to moan but actually I'm letting you know how much harder I work than you". I'm quite happy to tell them that I don't work evenings or weekends unless there's some kind of emergency. I've still been promoted with this attitude as well. I just think that most people are pretty inefficient with their working hours*.

This type of behaviour is often coupled with the 11pm email just to make sure everyone knows they were hanging around until then.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Work on 09:51 - Apr 23 with 3025 viewsSwansea_Blue

There's been an hours culture in this country as long as I can remember. And that includes being proud at how few breaks people take as well. It's nuts. Same as we've a drink as much as you can culture. That's nuts too. Most of my extra hours are normally as a result of inefficiency and incompetence

Work on 09:54 - Apr 23 with 3019 viewsartsbossbeard

Yep, made the decision a few years back not to look at work email or answer calls after 6pm of an evening and never at weekends.

Prior to doing what I do now, I was working with Euro & US time zones so needed to be flexible but just carried on regardless when the role changed to UK only.

I'll come down and find that others have been engaged in a work related email chain at 10:30/10:45 the previous evening and I certainly don't feel left out that I've not been involved. Their loss..

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Work on 10:07 - Apr 23 with 3002 viewsLord_Lucan

Work on 09:54 - Apr 23 by artsbossbeard

Yep, made the decision a few years back not to look at work email or answer calls after 6pm of an evening and never at weekends.

Prior to doing what I do now, I was working with Euro & US time zones so needed to be flexible but just carried on regardless when the role changed to UK only.

I'll come down and find that others have been engaged in a work related email chain at 10:30/10:45 the previous evening and I certainly don't feel left out that I've not been involved. Their loss..

Actually the time zone affects me quite a bit but it can be beneficial. If it's midnight and I think the Mrs is feeling fruity then when asked if I am going to bed I just reply "China has woken up" and start typing like a mad man.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Work on 10:49 - Apr 23 with 2982 viewsHeathlander

I feel I would be shortchanging my employer

are you not shortchanging your wife?
Work on 11:50 - Apr 23 with 2959 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Work on 10:49 - Apr 23 by Heathlander

I feel I would be shortchanging my employer

are you not shortchanging your wife?

Quite possibly I am, however she doesn’t complain when I let her use the company box to take her family and friends to concerts at the o2 and take her and her girls on holiday etc she gets an equal share of the “pros” that takes up a lot of my time during the working week.
Work on 11:53 - Apr 23 with 2955 viewsHeathlander

Work on 11:50 - Apr 23 by ColchesterBlue1985

Quite possibly I am, however she doesn’t complain when I let her use the company box to take her family and friends to concerts at the o2 and take her and her girls on holiday etc she gets an equal share of the “pros” that takes up a lot of my time during the working week.

Fair enough. If the box is free any time let me know ;)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024