Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oxford recommendations 18:25 - Apr 22 with 1977 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Don't think I have ever been (not with my A Levels anyway) but I have to go and visit a client in a couple of weeks and need to overnight there. Restaurants, pubs of choice? I hear it's a rather nice.
Oxford recommendations on 18:27 - Apr 22 with 1959 viewsLord_Lucan

I've only been there once (when we got promoted)

Make sure you see the shark.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Oxford recommendations on 18:29 - Apr 22 with 1952 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Oxford recommendations on 18:27 - Apr 22 by Lord_Lucan

I've only been there once (when we got promoted)

Make sure you see the shark.

Before my time but the pictures looked fun Are you able to make the smoke in a couple of weeks?
Oxford recommendations on 18:32 - Apr 22 with 1935 viewsLord_Lucan

Oxford recommendations on 18:29 - Apr 22 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Before my time but the pictures looked fun Are you able to make the smoke in a couple of weeks?

Possibly. What date again?

Edit; I believe the shark is still there.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2018 18:33]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Oxford recommendations on 18:36 - Apr 22 with 1925 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Oxford recommendations on 18:32 - Apr 22 by Lord_Lucan

Not this Friday but next in the PM hour. Probably be in the city, maybe west but I doubt it.
Oxford recommendations on 20:00 - Apr 22 with 1836 viewsOxford_Blue

It’s a beautiful city and if you have time then I would get a map and walk from Christchurch meadows (by the entrance to the collage) up to the High and then explore Turl Street and the areas around the Sheldonian.

Pubs - lots of them - the Turf and the Bear are good if you like older pubs as is the White Horse. Head to Broad Street. Gees and the Old Parsonage are good restaurants and if you like fine wine then the Cherwell Boathouse is on the river and has an award winning list at very reasonable prices.

Lived there for nine years and only just moved (to London) for a new job. Miss it a lot!!
Oxford recommendations on 20:07 - Apr 22 with 1828 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Oxford recommendations on 20:00 - Apr 22 by Oxford_Blue

It’s a beautiful city and if you have time then I would get a map and walk from Christchurch meadows (by the entrance to the collage) up to the High and then explore Turl Street and the areas around the Sheldonian.

Pubs - lots of them - the Turf and the Bear are good if you like older pubs as is the White Horse. Head to Broad Street. Gees and the Old Parsonage are good restaurants and if you like fine wine then the Cherwell Boathouse is on the river and has an award winning list at very reasonable prices.

Lived there for nine years and only just moved (to London) for a new job. Miss it a lot!!

Thanks that's great looking forward to it
Oxford recommendations on 20:23 - Apr 22 with 1810 viewsGuthrum

Expensive and impossible to park nearer than the ring road*, but lovely. Do as suggested and take a walk round the colleges.

* The park & ride works fine, tho.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Oxford recommendations on 20:42 - Apr 22 with 1789 viewsSomethingBlue

Oxford recommendations on 20:00 - Apr 22 by Oxford_Blue

The Ashmolean has a really good American modernism exhibition at the moment ( https://www.ashmolean.org/exhibitions), visited it the other week and would recommend highly. Also ate at Gees for the first time in several years and can confirm it's still very good indeed.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Oxford recommendations on 20:52 - Apr 22 with 1770 viewsJohnny_Boy

A dictionary.
Oxford recommendations on 21:12 - Apr 22 with 1750 viewsOxford_Blue

Oxford recommendations on 20:23 - Apr 22 by Guthrum

Expensive and impossible to park nearer than the ring road*, but lovely. Do as suggested and take a walk round the colleges.

* The park & ride works fine, tho.

The problem is all day parking, but there is reasonable parking in the city centre for up to three hours - eg on Mansfield Road and outside Wadham College as well as on the roads in North Oxford and Jericho (about a 10-15 min walk into town). Lots of parking on Gt Clarendon St plus huge John Lewis just opened in city centre with lots of parking.

But yes, it can be expensive in places. It is still the most expensive place to buy a house in the country relative to local wages (which aren’t bad) and it is a real problem for people wanting to get on the ladder where the average price of a house is around £430,000. The five or six bed houses in North Oxford go for around £5 to £8M and even a four bed terrace in a reasonably nice area (but nothing amazing) will cost £800k. A lot of commuters are buying property and when Crossrail opens I guess this will boost prices further. Thing is, Oxford has great schools, hospitals, museums, restaurants, cafes, colleges and buildings and that attracts an affluent “middle class” type which pushes prices up.

The Ash is a world class museum - some really great exhibitions have been on.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2018 21:14]
Oxford recommendations on 21:16 - Apr 22 with 1737 viewsdavblue

Oxford recommendations on 18:32 - Apr 22 by Lord_Lucan

It was last time i went into Oxford a few months ago.

Utterly bizarre thing to do to your house but hey who are we to argue!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024