Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chromebook 11:42 - Apr 23 with 1964 viewsunbelievablue

Anyone with one want to give an honest review?

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Chromebook on 11:57 - Apr 23 with 1950 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

My in-laws have one and asked me to help out when they got stuck recently. I couldn't do much at all with It, I'm probably too used to Microsoft. I hate Google Chromebook with a passion I'm afraid.
Chromebook on 12:11 - Apr 23 with 1941 viewsnewcastleblue

Chromebook on 11:57 - Apr 23 by RedWhiteAndBLUE

My in-laws have one and asked me to help out when they got stuck recently. I couldn't do much at all with It, I'm probably too used to Microsoft. I hate Google Chromebook with a passion I'm afraid.

I've been using one for about four years now and also my kids have them for schoolwork. The downsides are well documented in that you are working in the cloud, so need wifi connection. Also depends onwhat you want it for - runnning third party programmes, photo editing software, games etc would not be appropriate

However, if it is for basic "office" functions - word processing, spreadsheets etc , or browsing the web, I think it is fantastic

The major benefiits are -

Easy on/off - even though my chromebook is over four years old, it still opens and is ready to go in about 5 seconds

No need for expensive antivirus software

No annoying windows updates to slow you down

Horses for courses and all that, but buying a chromebook was the best decision I ever made re computers.

Hope that helps
Chromebook on 12:40 - Apr 23 with 1899 viewsTownly

Love mine to bits (Toshiba) but use it mainly for surfing and emailing .... when it is excellent, super quick and safe. No need for an expensive anti-virus.

I use my Windows laptop for more complicated things like printing (it was complicated for me on the Chromebook) photo processing and all spreadsheet and letter writing stuff.

You can get a decent one for around £200 nowadays.

I have been advised that HP Chromebooks are to be avoided, especially the 11" (charging problems) but no personal experience.

Finally, using Chrome introduced me to Hangouts for cheap, cheap calls and the rest.
Chromebook on 12:43 - Apr 23 with 1890 viewshype313

Chromebook on 12:40 - Apr 23 by Townly

Love mine to bits (Toshiba) but use it mainly for surfing and emailing .... when it is excellent, super quick and safe. No need for an expensive anti-virus.

I use my Windows laptop for more complicated things like printing (it was complicated for me on the Chromebook) photo processing and all spreadsheet and letter writing stuff.

You can get a decent one for around £200 nowadays.

I have been advised that HP Chromebooks are to be avoided, especially the 11" (charging problems) but no personal experience.

Finally, using Chrome introduced me to Hangouts for cheap, cheap calls and the rest.

No need for expensive anti-virus anyway, just get free versions of Avast or another.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Chromebook on 16:00 - Apr 23 with 1834 viewsrosseden

i have a number of locations (business) and at home, have been on laptops for years, but on someones advice middle of last year moved two sites to chromebooks.

We moved them back to laptops last month.

Fine for basic home use, a few emails, bit of browsing, but anything more laboured, and they just arent up to it in my opinion.
Nightmare to print from, using cloud based documents realigns margins and print areas, so you cant print very easily.
Its essentially a tablet with a keyboard, so if you can make do with a tablet and keypad, then a chromebook will probably also do the job well.

Poll: can the majority of twtd users count?
Blog: [Blog] To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question?

Chromebook on 17:48 - Apr 23 with 1793 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

Chromebook on 16:00 - Apr 23 by rosseden

i have a number of locations (business) and at home, have been on laptops for years, but on someones advice middle of last year moved two sites to chromebooks.

We moved them back to laptops last month.

Fine for basic home use, a few emails, bit of browsing, but anything more laboured, and they just arent up to it in my opinion.
Nightmare to print from, using cloud based documents realigns margins and print areas, so you cant print very easily.
Its essentially a tablet with a keyboard, so if you can make do with a tablet and keypad, then a chromebook will probably also do the job well.

It was the printing issue my in-laws asked for my help with, hence my negative comments earlier.
Chromebook on 17:58 - Apr 23 with 1778 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I brought one as I don't love the surface from work. It's got good and bad things.

Good - battery life, and speed as it is all cloud based. I really like it for traveling. It's a great option if you want a cheap machine with fast connectivity.

Bad - the missing things on the keyboard annoy me and seem unnecessary. No windows can be a pain for some work docs.
Chromebook on 20:28 - Apr 23 with 1698 viewsrosseden

Chromebook on 17:48 - Apr 23 by RedWhiteAndBLUE

It was the printing issue my in-laws asked for my help with, hence my negative comments earlier.

i probably spent two days trying to solve it, googlecloudprint, samsungcloudprint and about ten other ways i found online, and couldnt get any of them working properly. In the end i found a way, and then it reset all the margins from the cloud stored docs, so they came out all screwy. at that point I gave up.

When laptops are as cheap as they are now, i just got 2 of them and gave the chromebooks to staff to do adjustments to online docs etc, rather than using as a fully functioning machine......

Sounds like we thin about tthe same of them, ok for very minor web bits and browsing, but not much more. i can probably do as much on my phone in reality as i could on the chromebook!

Poll: can the majority of twtd users count?
Blog: [Blog] To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024