Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brixtonblue 01:17 - Apr 24 with 6509 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

This is what jezza actually said (I’m sure you know this as I’ve just pulled it from fullfact)
It’s conclusive... forthcoming student for 17/18 academic year would be rebated until all fees cancelled. He also didn’t see why students with existing debt should be burdened and would work that out in due course. Please don’t bother bringing this one up again.

During the interview Mr Corbyn is quoted as saying:

“First of all, we want to get rid of student fees altogether ...

“We’ll do it as soon as we get in, and we’ll then introduce legislation to ensure that any student going from the 2017-18 academic year will not pay fees. They will pay them, but we’ll rebate them when we’ve got the legislation through — that’s fundamentally the principle behind it.

“Yes, there is a block of those that currently have a massive debt, and I’m looking at ways that we could reduce that, ameliorate that, lengthen the period of paying it off, or some other means of reducing that debt burden ...

“I don’t have the simple answer for it at this stage — I don’t think anybody would expect me to, because this election was called unexpectedly; we had two weeks to prepare all of this — but I’m very well aware of that problem ...

“And I don’t see why those that had the historical misfortune to be at university during the £9,000 period should be burdened excessively compared to those that went before or those that come after. I will deal with it.”
Brixtonblue on 16:24 - Apr 24 with 1148 viewsHerbivore

Brixtonblue on 16:22 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

9k fees had only been in place for 5 years so it doesnt take a genius to work out that cancelling fees going forward will be the biggest commitment

But student debt has existed for years and years, and it's a massive chunk of money that would need to be cleared. It would be a huge commitment. Future spending that arises from abolishing tuition fees can be offset by reduced spending elsewhere or by increased tax revenue so really it doesn't need to cost anything. I'd like to see your workings on this one, friend.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brixtonblue on 16:32 - Apr 24 with 1132 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Brixtonblue on 16:24 - Apr 24 by Herbivore

But student debt has existed for years and years, and it's a massive chunk of money that would need to be cleared. It would be a huge commitment. Future spending that arises from abolishing tuition fees can be offset by reduced spending elsewhere or by increased tax revenue so really it doesn't need to cost anything. I'd like to see your workings on this one, friend.

To be fair to Jeremy he probably wanted to write off the debt and looked at it (around 90 billion at the time) then decided it couldn’t be done. That doesn’t change the fact that a lot of hares were sent running conveniently prior to the election.

I agree that taxes should be raised to pay for education but hat doesn’t make it free. One answer would be to tax graduates more for example.
Brixtonblue on 16:34 - Apr 24 with 1119 viewsHerbivore

Brixtonblue on 16:32 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

To be fair to Jeremy he probably wanted to write off the debt and looked at it (around 90 billion at the time) then decided it couldn’t be done. That doesn’t change the fact that a lot of hares were sent running conveniently prior to the election.

I agree that taxes should be raised to pay for education but hat doesn’t make it free. One answer would be to tax graduates more for example.

The quote you've posted from Corbyn says absolutely nothing about writing off student debt. If you want to point the finger at people spreading disinformation maybe think about who has had a vested interest in consistently misrepresenting what he says. They should be the ones you're getting all angry at.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brixtonblue on 16:38 - Apr 24 with 1108 viewsBrixtonBlue

Brixtonblue on 16:18 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

Who cares? You seem to care enough to comment about it quite often to be fair

Where? You want to link where I've commented on this "quite often"?

Again, if you think he's gone back on something isn't that commendable honesty given he didn't win the election anyway?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Brixtonblue on 16:43 - Apr 24 with 1091 viewsNewcyBlue

Brixtonblue on 16:38 - Apr 24 by BrixtonBlue

Where? You want to link where I've commented on this "quite often"?

Again, if you think he's gone back on something isn't that commendable honesty given he didn't win the election anyway?

Or he's like every other politician and says things that can easily be misinterpreted to twist whichever way seems most positive to get more votes.

I don't have much faith in, or respect for, our politicians.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Brixtonblue on 16:45 - Apr 24 with 1089 viewsmonytowbray

Thread summary for those who may have missed it:

IT'S CORBYN'S FAULT I MADE SOMETHING UP FROM WHAT HE SAID AND BELIEVED WHAT HE SAID TO BE SOMETHING ELSE. OTHER PEOPLE DID THE SAME TOO WHICH SOMEHOW ADDS WEIGHT TO MY POINT.

TBF, that sounds like TWTD too. Kids banned from pubs and denying meat eater's rights or something.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Brixtonblue on 16:46 - Apr 24 with 1088 viewsfooters

Brixtonblue on 16:32 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

Your first sentence is, again, something you've dreamt up.

Graduates earn on average almost £10k more p/a than non-graduates, that's where the tax revenues would be collected. Happy now?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Brixtonblue on 16:48 - Apr 24 with 1079 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Brixtonblue on 16:34 - Apr 24 by Herbivore

The quote you've posted from Corbyn says absolutely nothing about writing off student debt. If you want to point the finger at people spreading disinformation maybe think about who has had a vested interest in consistently misrepresenting what he says. They should be the ones you're getting all angry at.

The people spreading disinformation included shadow ministers it would seem....

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/key-ally-of-jeremy-corbyn-caught-on-vid
Login to get fewer ads

Brixtonblue on 16:49 - Apr 24 with 1076 viewsusm

Jezza is a politician.
You should know by now not to take any notice of what a politician says - they dont mean it, they are simply trying to win your vote and/or disrupt their opponent.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Brixtonblue on 16:50 - Apr 24 with 1074 viewsmonytowbray

Brixtonblue on 16:48 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

The people spreading disinformation included shadow ministers it would seem....

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/key-ally-of-jeremy-corbyn-caught-on-vid

Not sure how many times you have to be told "Jeremy Corbyn didn't say that" before you let this thread die.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Brixtonblue on 16:51 - Apr 24 with 1070 viewsfooters

Brixtonblue on 16:50 - Apr 24 by monytowbray

Not sure how many times you have to be told "Jeremy Corbyn didn't say that" before you let this thread die.

If I were him and had been university educated, I'd definitely be asking for my money back, regardless of Labour policies.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Brixtonblue on 17:12 - Apr 24 with 1043 viewsRob88

Of course the issue with this entire thread is the use of the word debt.

Def info.

Just saying.

You’re welcome.

It’s actually a remarkably good system, not perfect but what is.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024