Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brixtonblue 01:17 - Apr 24 with 6508 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

This is what jezza actually said (I’m sure you know this as I’ve just pulled it from fullfact)
It’s conclusive... forthcoming student for 17/18 academic year would be rebated until all fees cancelled. He also didn’t see why students with existing debt should be burdened and would work that out in due course. Please don’t bother bringing this one up again.

During the interview Mr Corbyn is quoted as saying:

“First of all, we want to get rid of student fees altogether ...

“We’ll do it as soon as we get in, and we’ll then introduce legislation to ensure that any student going from the 2017-18 academic year will not pay fees. They will pay them, but we’ll rebate them when we’ve got the legislation through — that’s fundamentally the principle behind it.

“Yes, there is a block of those that currently have a massive debt, and I’m looking at ways that we could reduce that, ameliorate that, lengthen the period of paying it off, or some other means of reducing that debt burden ...

“I don’t have the simple answer for it at this stage — I don’t think anybody would expect me to, because this election was called unexpectedly; we had two weeks to prepare all of this — but I’m very well aware of that problem ...

“And I don’t see why those that had the historical misfortune to be at university during the £9,000 period should be burdened excessively compared to those that went before or those that come after. I will deal with it.”
Brixtonblue on 06:29 - Apr 24 with 3581 viewsBenters2

So what then?
Brixtonblue on 06:30 - Apr 24 with 3586 viewsnoggin

How refreshing. A politician who will make life easier for the average person, not his rich pals.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Brixtonblue on 06:32 - Apr 24 with 3571 viewsBenters2

Brixtonblue on 06:30 - Apr 24 by noggin

How refreshing. A politician who will make life easier for the average person, not his rich pals.

Is it only average people who go to Uni?
Brixtonblue on 08:09 - Apr 24 with 3502 viewsBrixtonBlue

Say what?!

"Please don’t bother bringing this one up again."

Erm, what did I bring up that I shouldn't bring up again?

Did you mean to post this to Glassers? I'm a bit confused.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Brixtonblue on 14:46 - Apr 24 with 3428 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Brixtonblue on 06:30 - Apr 24 by noggin

I agree that uni places should be free. I’m just pointing out that Jeremy promised to immediately write off student debt, and then admitted after the election that it wasn’t affordable
Brixtonblue on 14:49 - Apr 24 with 3419 viewsHerbivore

Brixtonblue on 14:46 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

I agree that uni places should be free. I’m just pointing out that Jeremy promised to immediately write off student debt, and then admitted after the election that it wasn’t affordable

Where in that quote does he say he will immediately write off student debt? That's not what he says. He says he'll cancel tuition fees and look at ways to ease the debt burden on those with existing debt.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brixtonblue on 14:50 - Apr 24 with 3415 viewsSuperfrans

Brixtonblue on 14:46 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

Where in your Jezza words does it say that he would write off student debt?

He says that 2017-18 debts would be written off and no fees charged moving forward. But he doesn't say all debts will be wiped out. Unless I'm missing something.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Brixtonblue on 14:55 - Apr 24 with 3404 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Brixtonblue on 14:49 - Apr 24 by Herbivore

Where in that quote does he say he will immediately write off student debt? That's not what he says. He says he'll cancel tuition fees and look at ways to ease the debt burden on those with existing debt.

He will cancel fees immediately (that’s the most expensive but)

Then he will make sure that historical debt is sorted out because it would be unfair. That implies existing debt will be written off, but probably not fees that have already been paid
Login to get fewer ads

Brixtonblue on 15:01 - Apr 24 with 3383 viewsHerbivore

Brixtonblue on 14:55 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

He will cancel fees immediately (that’s the most expensive but)

Then he will make sure that historical debt is sorted out because it would be unfair. That implies existing debt will be written off, but probably not fees that have already been paid

Nowhere does he imply that existing debt will be written off. You've posted a quote that you've clearly not read or understood.

Brixtonblue on 15:04 - Apr 24 with 3376 viewsfooters

Brixtonblue on 15:01 - Apr 24 by Herbivore

Nowhere does he imply that existing debt will be written off. You've posted a quote that you've clearly not read or understood.

This.

Here's the quote:

"...those that currently have a massive debt, and I’m looking at ways that we could reduce that, ameliorate that, lengthen the period of paying it off, or some other means of reducing that debt burden."

So, reduction and lengthening the payment period, not writing off. It's in the bloody OP!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Brixtonblue on 15:05 - Apr 24 with 3371 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

“And I don’t see why those that had the historical misfortune to be at university during the £9,000 period should be burdened excessively compared to those that went before or those that come after. I will deal with it.”
Brixtonblue on 15:07 - Apr 24 with 3365 viewsSpruceMoose

Brixtonblue on 15:05 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

Yeah... he's still not saying he wants to write it off.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Brixtonblue on 15:08 - Apr 24 with 3363 viewsfooters

Brixtonblue on 15:05 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

So he's presumably talking about reducing the debt burden from £9k to its previous £3k for the years 2012 onwards, not writing it off completely.

Brixtonblue on 15:09 - Apr 24 with 3359 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Brixtonblue on 15:07 - Apr 24 by SpruceMoose

Yeah... he's still not saying he wants to write it off.

That’s the assumption people made. There were news articles about it. People I know at work decided to vote labour on that one issue.... and I don’t recall Jeremy coming out and saying we’d got it wrong BEFORE the election
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 15:10]
Brixtonblue on 15:11 - Apr 24 with 3350 viewsSpruceMoose

Brixtonblue on 15:09 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

That’s the assumption people made. There were news articles about it. People I know at work decided to vote labour on that one issue.... and I don’t recall Jeremy coming out and saying we’d got it wrong BEFORE the election

You're moving the goal posts. You posted a quote and then tried to tell us it said something different to what we all read.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Brixtonblue on 15:11 - Apr 24 with 3350 viewsfooters

Brixtonblue on 15:09 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

Now you're blaming him for others' misconceptions? Blimey.

Brixtonblue on 15:11 - Apr 24 with 3343 viewsSpruceMoose

Brixtonblue on 15:11 - Apr 24 by footers

Now you're blaming him for others' misconceptions? Blimey.

Indeed. Who are these fools who voted on one issue that they invented themselves?

Brixtonblue on 15:12 - Apr 24 with 3339 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Brixtonblue on 15:11 - Apr 24 by SpruceMoose

You're moving the goal posts. You posted a quote and then tried to tell us it said something different to what we all read.

Not really.
Brixtonblue on 15:14 - Apr 24 with 3324 viewsSpruceMoose

Brixtonblue on 15:12 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

Not really.

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with 'really' on this one.

Brixtonblue on 15:16 - Apr 24 with 3315 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Brixtonblue on 15:11 - Apr 24 by SpruceMoose

Indeed. Who are these fools who voted on one issue that they invented themselves?

People I know with kids at uni.

It was widely accepted at the time that labour would write off the debt if they got into power.
If that wasn’t the case why did McDonnell comment that is wasn’t really feasible?
Brixtonblue on 15:17 - Apr 24 with 3310 viewsSpruceMoose

Brixtonblue on 15:16 - Apr 24 by FrowsyArmLarry

People I know with kids at uni.

It was widely accepted at the time that labour would write off the debt if they got into power.
If that wasn’t the case why did McDonnell comment that is wasn’t really feasible?

Widely accepted by who? I know plenty of people who never thought that was the case. Maybe they read the quote you pulled, at the time?
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 15:18]

Brixtonblue on 15:18 - Apr 24 with 3301 viewsHerbivore

You've managed to spectacularly troll yourself here. Top work.

Brixtonblue on 15:20 - Apr 24 with 3291 viewsmonytowbray

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Brixtonblue on 15:24 - Apr 24 with 3280 viewsBrixtonBlue

AND he started a thread to attack me for it.

Ooops.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Brixtonblue on 15:25 - Apr 24 with 3272 viewsSpruceMoose

Brixtonblue on 15:24 - Apr 24 by BrixtonBlue

AND he started a thread to attack me for it.

Ooops.

Somedays I feel this site needs a feature for posters who blunder to delete their threads and pretend it never happened.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024