Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager 06:13 - Apr 24 with 12051 viewsKesgrave_Exile

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/taiwan-manager-gary-white-wants-to-follow-in-the-foo

Discuss?

Unfortunately I don't see this happening but he could do very well for a league one or two club.
So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 08:48 - Apr 24 with 3830 viewsWestover

I would give him a rolling one year contact I think he is worth a punt and would not break the bank.
So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 08:59 - Apr 24 with 3796 viewsGeoffSentence

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 07:02 - Apr 24 by hoppy

Has he got a more ‘normal’ middle name though? Something like “Gordon”, perhaps?

Typical EADT though, they’ve aged him by 2 years just in the space of the opening few paragraphs... but then he was coaching at 24, and later on says he’s got 20 years coaching experience...

We could have another Finidi George on our hands...
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 7:04]

Pay attention, he as already told you his middle name, it's FFS. Odd one but shows that this guy is prepared to be bold.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 09:03 - Apr 24 with 3794 viewsFixed_It

OK - so I am obviously easily convinced, but.... This is the sort of 'interesting' project that I think would bring some excitement back to supporting ITFC. He is clearly well-regarded by the FA, and has some serious coaching credentials behind him. He wouldn't be wanting to splash the cash, but would work with what we've got.
My only concern would be that he seems to have limited experience at Club level, working with players on a day-to-day basis. And I doubt he would bring a new backroom staff with him. But neither of those factors should be a major stumbling block. It would be a very unMarcus-like appointment, but maybe he wants to take a different approach.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 09:07 - Apr 24 with 3777 viewsGeoffSentence

He has clearly been paying attention to what has been going on here:

"I like my teams to take some risks, show courage and play football in a way that is interesting to watch. I get so bored when people set up teams to just sit in, not concede and try to nick something."

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 09:26 - Apr 24 with 3748 viewsHerbivore

He's never played or managed at anything close to Championship level and he's never coached in the UK. He'd be a huge, huge gamble. He speaks well but none of the environments he's worked in are remotely comparable to managing us in the Championship.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 09:40 - Apr 24 with 3714 viewssoupytwist

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 06:58 - Apr 24 by GodBlue

Speaks well, has a decent track recordeverywhere he’s been, clearly very confident and well thought of by the FA. Must have a shot I’d have thought. Could be a good option.

I’d be disappointed if we aren’t at least asking the question about Graham Potter’s availability too. Sound like they may have similar approaches. I know he’s just signed a new contract, but I’m fairly sure that’s mostly gonna be Ostersunds covering themselves from losing him on the cheap.

Potter's going to be out of our league now. Both in terms of how much it might take to get him away from Ostersund and where he's probably looking in terms of level for his next move. We need to identify the next Potter (not easy) and White looks like he might be along those lines.

If he got the FA's Elite Coaches award and was interviewed for the U21s job then presumably the FA would like him to manage somewhere a bit more high profile than various tiny islands. We should be on to the head of coach development at the FA and say that we'd like to potentially give him a try. Then, the FA can provide a mentor to help his development as a coach in the UK with a view to him fulfilling the potential they identified previously. There's a bit more about White & the Elite Coaches Award here - https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveprice/2018/03/25/inside-the-fa-elite-coaches-a

Looks to me that White is starting to work on his profile a bit. With the right structure he could be worth a go.
So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 09:40 - Apr 24 with 3708 viewsurbanblue

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 09:26 - Apr 24 by Herbivore

He's never played or managed at anything close to Championship level and he's never coached in the UK. He'd be a huge, huge gamble. He speaks well but none of the environments he's worked in are remotely comparable to managing us in the Championship.

True, but the way I feel at present I would rather take someone like him on a short term contract to see what he could do then a Mr Boring, tried and trusted, been around the traps, long term appointment.
So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 09:44 - Apr 24 with 3701 viewsHerbivore

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 09:40 - Apr 24 by urbanblue

True, but the way I feel at present I would rather take someone like him on a short term contract to see what he could do then a Mr Boring, tried and trusted, been around the traps, long term appointment.

I think there's a pretty significant middle ground though. I'd not be against taking a complete punt but I'd rather it's someone who has either managed a club side in relatively comparable circumstances or at least has experience of coaching or managing in the UK. This guy would need a DoF alongside him for sure, he is primarily a coach, and it'd be tricky for him to command respect having never played at any sort of level and having no profile over here.

Login to get fewer ads

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 09:52 - Apr 24 with 3689 viewsurbanblue

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 09:44 - Apr 24 by Herbivore

I think there's a pretty significant middle ground though. I'd not be against taking a complete punt but I'd rather it's someone who has either managed a club side in relatively comparable circumstances or at least has experience of coaching or managing in the UK. This guy would need a DoF alongside him for sure, he is primarily a coach, and it'd be tricky for him to command respect having never played at any sort of level and having no profile over here.

All the young successful managers out there started somewhere. The names mentioned who are already having some success may have the some of the same problems at a higher level. I just love it when I hear of someone who really 'wants' the job. I'm sure we all want someone who is going to love ITFC as we do and not just see this as another job. Someone with his coaching credentials I'm sure would command respect. I personally will be very disappointed if we appoint a 'journeyman'. We have had enough players of that ilk pass through over the last few seasons.
So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 10:07 - Apr 24 with 3660 viewsTJS

Never played for or managed a league club = no chance
So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 10:52 - Apr 24 with 3624 viewsGuthrum

Could do worse. Lots of experience of punching above a team's weight with limited resources. He certainly sounds as interesting as, say, Steijn.

Not saying he is the man for the job, but worth considering.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 11:49 - Apr 24 with 3549 viewstextbackup

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 09:26 - Apr 24 by Herbivore

However it’s still football, still requires you to score more than the team you are playing

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 11:52 - Apr 24 with 3548 viewsAberdeenBlue92

I've actually been following the trials and tribulations of CTFA for a while, and Gary White was someone who I thought might get a mention in the potential Ipswich manager list. He's on the FA's success pathway and he's been managing a decent amount of time. He's turned Taiwan from being a pretty uncompetative "Also Ran" team to a team which is difficult to break down and fast on the counter, also missing out on AFC cup qualification by 1 point after taking over midway through a disastrous campaign which saw them get stuffed 5-0 by Bahrain and 3-1 by Turkmenistan. He's got some form with club teams (I didn't reallise he turned Shanghai around as much as he did) although his experience is limited somewhat to international teams (with the only potential player he could tempt being Will Donkin of Palace, should we want him). We'll have to see what happens but I don't think it would be a bad move to take him (although it'd probably sink Taiwan again!)
So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 12:13 - Apr 24 with 3525 viewsitfcjoe

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 11:49 - Apr 24 by textbackup

However it’s still football, still requires you to score more than the team you are playing

It's just where would he even begin with recruitment etc which is probably the key part of the managers role.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 12:43 - Apr 24 with 3488 viewslongtimefan

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 08:42 - Apr 24 by Fixed_It

Possibly. But I doubt many/any posters on here really know who ME has approached or not.

If it’s true that the compensation for a League 2 Manager Is too high then I’d say our realistic options must be somewhat limited! Given that I think it would have to someone currently out of work or contract expiring.
So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 12:44 - Apr 24 with 3487 viewsketton_itfc

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 12:13 - Apr 24 by itfcjoe

It's just where would he even begin with recruitment etc which is probably the key part of the managers role.

I’d assume to be highly regarded by the FA he must of built up some contacts within the uk and could maybe call on an elder statesman to assist him.
So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 12:46 - Apr 24 with 3478 viewsHerbivore

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 12:44 - Apr 24 by ketton_itfc

I’d assume to be highly regarded by the FA he must of built up some contacts within the uk and could maybe call on an elder statesman to assist him.

How would the FA assist with transfers and player recruitment? I doubt he's got any kind of network here, he's been coaching abroad for 20 years.

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 13:49 - Apr 24 with 3408 viewsGuthrum

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 12:13 - Apr 24 by itfcjoe

Recruit some decent scouts.

Would be no different to getting in an overseas manager like Steijn.

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 13:52 - Apr 24 with 3404 viewsitfcjoe

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 13:49 - Apr 24 by Guthrum

Recruit some decent scouts.

Would be no different to getting in an overseas manager like Steijn.

It would surely, because Steijn has a knowledge of the Dutch league which is at least comparable - and importantly in the EU.

This guy will have lots of knowledge of players who wouldn't get work permits - and also is used to scouting a set list of players who are eligible

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 14:01 - Apr 24 with 3375 viewsGuthrum

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 13:52 - Apr 24 by itfcjoe

It would surely, because Steijn has a knowledge of the Dutch league which is at least comparable - and importantly in the EU.

This guy will have lots of knowledge of players who wouldn't get work permits - and also is used to scouting a set list of players who are eligible

We may only have one season of easy EU work permits left.

Picking the best from a limited list is very much like what a limited budget Ipswich manager has to do. It's not like he is without club experience altogether. The Chinese league is full of European players.

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 14:06 - Apr 24 with 3364 viewsitfcjoe

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 14:01 - Apr 24 by Guthrum

We may only have one season of easy EU work permits left.

Picking the best from a limited list is very much like what a limited budget Ipswich manager has to do. It's not like he is without club experience altogether. The Chinese league is full of European players.

Aren't Chinese clubs only allowed 2 or 3 European players - and some of those are amongst the highest paid players in the world

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 15:00 - Apr 24 with 3311 viewsGuthrum

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 14:06 - Apr 24 by itfcjoe

Aren't Chinese clubs only allowed 2 or 3 European players - and some of those are amongst the highest paid players in the world

Yes, altho he wasn't right up the top end.

So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 21:30 - Apr 24 with 3209 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

Great article and an exceptional candidate - the Elite Coaches award is not given away easily.

It is good to read that other coaches are aware of us and it sounds as though Gary White has been watching events here and is aware of some of the problems.

Someone of this calibre should be interviewed as his achievements really grab the attention.
So the Taiwan manager has thrown his hat into the ring to be next ITFfC manager on 22:25 - Apr 24 with 3171 viewsbefxblue

Some of the best managers in the last 2 or 3 decades have been players that didn't make the grade at a top level for whatever reason (Injuries or just rubbish), the obvious being Alex Ferguson, AVB and Wenger.

A man of this experience would have been a great punt in the late 80s/mid 90s, before money got out of control.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024