Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car experts/Legal types... 16:35 - Apr 24 with 4599 viewsDigger

Around 6weeks ago my Vauxhall Astra has a blockage in the radiator which caused my anti freeze to be rejected from the engine and flooded through my heating matrix,into my car which soaked through the mats and ended up saturating my ECU.I took it to the main Vauxhall dealership for repair,at the same time they found an oil leak and needed parts replacing for that.This cost me just over £2000 as there were also a few minor bits and pieces needed doing as well as carpets being replaced.They also carry out a free vehicle health check where they check oil,tyres,brakes etc.I also asked them to add on an Mot and service whilst it was there and they drew up a statement so both parties were clear what was happening.
They had the car 3weeks for the work,the day I was due to pick it up,I checked online and the mot hadn’t been carried out so I contacted them and they arranged this however I forgot to mention the service and they also forgot this!

Move forward 3weeks and my engine management light came on when I was in Ipswich for the Barnsley match.Called green flag,they said it was low oil.They topped me up and away we went.For about two miles.....until the light came back on!

Managed to get it back to bury and into Vauxhall.They checked it all over and said the oil quality was poor and oil filter would need changing.
I thought this should’ve been done at the service,so checked my service log and turns out they hadn’t serviced the car when I took it in previously.Paid for the service,£120,took the car away same day,for about two miles....until the light came back on!

Back to Vauxhall same afternoon,they ask me to leave the car overnight and contact me the next day to say they have done extensive testing and it is the cambelt that needs changing.£350!I authorise the work.
Later that afternoon I receive a phone call,apologising,they have carried out the work,the car is fine but they have taken the car out for a run however they have crashed it into the back of another car!Comical!

It’s still driveable just needs the front bumper replacing.I pick the car up,get maybe a mile this time,until,you guessed it.....the light is back on however now the car is cutting out completely and acting the same way it would as if you were to stall it.

I’m very irate at this point,close to 3grand spent and the car is in a worse state than when I first took it into the garage!Tell them to fix it,sort me a courtesy car and that I wasn’t paying another penny.
Another day goes buy,they have finally found the problem!!and replaced the camshaft sprocket at a cost of about £400 which they do for me free of charge as a goodwill gesture!We are good to go,light is off.Get halfway home........You know the drill by now!
Service manager is waiting for me as I pull back into the car park after my angry phone call pre warning him.He seems just as fed up as me now!!

Few questions,
where do I stand?
I've given the dealership a lot of money however car is just coming back worse off each time!
He keeps pointing out poor oil quality as an excuse to push blame to me (service was around 6months late) however I asked them to carry out the service when they originally had the car and they forgot,it’s on the statement we both signed.They checked the oil as part of the original work and charged me £17 for an oil top up so surely they would’ve known?
Are they allowed to take the car out for a drive without my permission?are they covered with insurance?They have said they will repair the bodywork to our car,I’ve no idea about the other party but I’m just worried in case anything comes back to me or my insurance such as a personal injury claim

My partner is 6months pregnant and has ended up hospitalised for 36hours,she had swollen up on her arms,hands and legs/ankles due to high blood pressure caused by stress of it all.
As much as I reiterate to her it’s only a piece of metal,not to worry,it’s our only form of transport and we both work full time,sharing the car to travel to work.

Apologies for the long winded post and thankyou if you have made it this far but wanted to get everything in and hopefully somebody may have some helpful advice.
Car experts/Legal types... on 16:41 - Apr 24 with 4566 viewsNewcyBlue

Yes the can take your car out. They have Motor Dealer Insurance which covers any car signed in for them to work on.

Test driving cars is standard practice.

How old is the car? By poor quality oil, what exactly do they mean?

You've pretty much got two choices these days, Semi Synthetic, or Fully Synthetic.

Both have to meet certain standards, and unless you've topped the oil up with the wrong grade, I doubt poor quality oil is going to be your issue here.

The oil leak that they found, from where did it come?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Car experts/Legal types... on 16:50 - Apr 24 with 4536 viewsSouperJim

Did they replace the ECU as part of the original work?

I would make the point that the continuing issues might just as easily be cause by them crashing it as any delay in servicing. They have already admitted liability by replacing the camshaft foc. It's up to them to make it roadworthy.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Car experts/Legal types... on 16:51 - Apr 24 with 4530 viewsDigger

Car experts/Legal types... on 16:41 - Apr 24 by NewcyBlue

Yes the can take your car out. They have Motor Dealer Insurance which covers any car signed in for them to work on.

You've pretty much got two choices these days, Semi Synthetic, or Fully Synthetic.

Both have to meet certain standards, and unless you've topped the oil up with the wrong grade, I doubt poor quality oil is going to be your issue here.

Thanks for the first part of your response,clears that part up :)

I do apologise,I’m not great with cars but this is the healthcheck they sent me which shows the oil leak (hopefully it works?)
https://video.citnow.com/

His comments regarding the poor oil quality were due to the fact it was 6months overdue a service and therefore oil/oil filter change I believe and where it had been topped up,either by green flag when they came out for recovery or by Vauxhall meant the oil wasn’t the best quality it could’ve been
Car experts/Legal types... on 16:55 - Apr 24 with 4507 viewsSouperJim

Car experts/Legal types... on 16:51 - Apr 24 by Digger

I do apologise,I’m not great with cars but this is the healthcheck they sent me which shows the oil leak (hopefully it works?)

His comments regarding the poor oil quality were due to the fact it was 6months overdue a service and therefore oil/oil filter change I believe and where it had been topped up,either by green flag when they came out for recovery or by Vauxhall meant the oil wasn’t the best quality it could’ve been

You drove it for an extra 3 weeks believing they had serviced the car, as they had agreed to do and had given you paperwork to this effect. Again, any issue caused by this could be argued to be their responsibility.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Car experts/Legal types... on 16:55 - Apr 24 with 4504 viewsNewcyBlue

Car experts/Legal types... on 16:51 - Apr 24 by Digger

No I can't see the video. Perhaps you're logged in? Do you have an invoice saying something like "Sump Gasket" "Crankshaft Oil Seal" or something similar?

6 months overdue? That's nowt. My Focus was 9 months overdue by the time I got round to doing it, I ran the engine up nice and hot and then drained the oil. As long as the grade was as specified in the manufacturers handbook then it won't be poor quality oil. There is no poor quality oil. There's a wrong grade, but it's still of the highest quality.

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:03 - Apr 24 with 4475 viewsDigger

Car experts/Legal types... on 16:55 - Apr 24 by NewcyBlue

No I can't see the video. Perhaps you're logged in? Do you have an invoice saying something like "Sump Gasket" "Crankshaft Oil Seal" or something similar?

6 months overdue? That's nowt. My Focus was 9 months overdue by the time I got round to doing it, I ran the engine up nice and hot and then drained the oil. As long as the grade was as specified in the manufacturers handbook then it won't be poor quality oil. There is no poor quality oil. There's a wrong grade, but it's still of the highest quality.

https://video.citnow.com/vx8KSldW4PZ
Any better?if not,feel free to pm me your number and I’ll forward the text message on

I don’t have an invoice for anything like that,however the last bit of work they did that was complimentary,they didn’t give me an invoice for.
Car experts/Legal types... on 17:09 - Apr 24 with 4458 viewsBurwell_Blue

Car experts/Legal types... on 16:41 - Apr 24 by NewcyBlue

I know it doesn't help but I have had two Astras in my time (2.0 SRi and a 1.9 Sri) and the were both awful. Like really awful.

The gearbox destroyed itself on the same day I bought the 1.9 and cost the garage I had just bought it from £2,700 to get it repaired.

The build quality is a joke, I just would not recommend a Vauxhall again, whilst Audi and VW are still making cars.
Car experts/Legal types... on 17:16 - Apr 24 with 4440 viewsNewcyBlue

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:03 - Apr 24 by Digger

https://video.citnow.com/vx8KSldW4PZ
Any better?if not,feel free to pm me your number and I’ll forward the text message on

I don’t have an invoice for anything like that,however the last bit of work they did that was complimentary,they didn’t give me an invoice for.

I can't quite work out where he said it was leaking from.

Looked like a fairly substantial oil leak.

As for the Engine Management Light coming on, I'd double check your dashboard. You should have an Oil Warning Light (which may be part of your Trip Computer / Information Screen on the dash).

Oil Pressure / Warning lights normally look like an Oil Can.

The Camshaft Sprocket will have been disturbed when they replaced the Cam Belt. Therefore I'd say they may have caused an issue if there indeed was any issue with the sprocket.

If it's a known item (like a water pump is) you'd replace it at the same time as the Cam Belt. You've got everything stripped off as it is.

I see the sprocket has been done free of charge....

Login to get fewer ads

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:16 - Apr 24 with 4438 viewsDigger

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:09 - Apr 24 by Burwell_Blue

I know it doesn't help but I have had two Astras in my time (2.0 SRi and a 1.9 Sri) and the were both awful. Like really awful.

The gearbox destroyed itself on the same day I bought the 1.9 and cost the garage I had just bought it from £2,700 to get it repaired.

The build quality is a joke, I just would not recommend a Vauxhall again, whilst Audi and VW are still making cars.

The amount of people that have said this to me since all these problems started is unreal!Not had a single person with a good word to say about Vauxhall’s!
Car experts/Legal types... on 17:21 - Apr 24 with 4422 viewsDigger

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:16 - Apr 24 by NewcyBlue

I can't quite work out where he said it was leaking from.

Looked like a fairly substantial oil leak.

As for the Engine Management Light coming on, I'd double check your dashboard. You should have an Oil Warning Light (which may be part of your Trip Computer / Information Screen on the dash).

Oil Pressure / Warning lights normally look like an Oil Can.

The Camshaft Sprocket will have been disturbed when they replaced the Cam Belt. Therefore I'd say they may have caused an issue if there indeed was any issue with the sprocket.

If it's a known item (like a water pump is) you'd replace it at the same time as the Cam Belt. You've got everything stripped off as it is.

I see the sprocket has been done free of charge....

When the oil level has been low before,it’s come up with a worded message saying oil level low.Weve always taken it and got that topped up as soon as the message came up.
The engine management light that was on on the dash,was an exclamation mark inside a circle.It was glowing amber so the dealership said it’d be fine to drive as only serious when the light is red
Car experts/Legal types... on 17:22 - Apr 24 with 4415 viewsDeano69

What is the age/mileage of your car?

I assume this is a Vauxhall main-dealer?

I think you have been patient enough, sounds like a nightmare. Have you contacted Vauxhall UK at all, dont think they would be impressed. They can often work goodwill for serviced and newer cars? Just a thought

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:24 - Apr 24 with 4411 viewsNewcyBlue

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:21 - Apr 24 by Digger

When the oil level has been low before,it’s come up with a worded message saying oil level low.Weve always taken it and got that topped up as soon as the message came up.
The engine management light that was on on the dash,was an exclamation mark inside a circle.It was glowing amber so the dealership said it’d be fine to drive as only serious when the light is red

https://www.drivevauxhall.co.uk/vauxhall-warning-light-symbols/

Is it there?

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:27 - Apr 24 with 4407 viewsDigger

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:22 - Apr 24 by Deano69

What is the age/mileage of your car?

I assume this is a Vauxhall main-dealer?

I think you have been patient enough, sounds like a nightmare. Have you contacted Vauxhall UK at all, dont think they would be impressed. They can often work goodwill for serviced and newer cars? Just a thought

The car is an ‘11 plate,61,000 miles.
Yes a Vauxhall main dealer.Took it there as thought they would know what they were doing but the whole situation has just become a farce!

Did contemplate contacting their head office but wanted to get a better understanding of where I stand.Also thought I’d see what happens this time when they give it back,don’t want to make a big deal out of it and all I want is for the car to be back and in working order but totally fed up now!
Car experts/Legal types... on 17:32 - Apr 24 with 4396 viewsDigger

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:24 - Apr 24 by NewcyBlue

https://www.drivevauxhall.co.uk/vauxhall-warning-light-symbols/

Is it there?

No,the closest one to it would be the parking break one on the top row except for the brake word underneath it and it’s yellow
Car experts/Legal types... on 17:38 - Apr 24 with 4386 viewsNewcyBlue

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:32 - Apr 24 by Digger

No,the closest one to it would be the parking break one on the top row except for the brake word underneath it and it’s yellow

Then I'd say they're working off the latest warning lights and you have an older version.

Without seeing it, I'm not really able to help too much. It sounds like an absolute clusterfck, and the replacement of the cam sprocket after the cam belt sounds odd.

As Deano suggests, email the Head Office. Just escalate the matter. Although I wouldn't buy a Vauxhall. They've given notice to every single one of their dealerships and are going to be renegotiating contracts.

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:45 - Apr 24 with 4367 viewsDigger

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:38 - Apr 24 by NewcyBlue

Then I'd say they're working off the latest warning lights and you have an older version.

Without seeing it, I'm not really able to help too much. It sounds like an absolute clusterfck, and the replacement of the cam sprocket after the cam belt sounds odd.

As Deano suggests, email the Head Office. Just escalate the matter. Although I wouldn't buy a Vauxhall. They've given notice to every single one of their dealerships and are going to be renegotiating contracts.

Thanks for your help anyway mate
Just been a nightmare from start to finish.Hoping for some good news this week and it’s all fixed but not holding my breath!
Car experts/Legal types... on 17:47 - Apr 24 with 4368 viewsLord_Lucan

I'm certainly no legal eagle but I think the whole this is nothing short of scandalous.

I think I might be inclined to get a solicitor involved.

At the least I think they should pay you the retail price of the vehicle before they crashed it plus the money that you have given them.

A solicitors advice and letter would cost nothing compared to what you have already handed over to them.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 17:53]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:57 - Apr 24 with 4338 viewsDeano69

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:27 - Apr 24 by Digger

The car is an ‘11 plate,61,000 miles.
Yes a Vauxhall main dealer.Took it there as thought they would know what they were doing but the whole situation has just become a farce!

Did contemplate contacting their head office but wanted to get a better understanding of where I stand.Also thought I’d see what happens this time when they give it back,don’t want to make a big deal out of it and all I want is for the car to be back and in working order but totally fed up now!

You seem to have done a good job documenting it, but i would suggest listing in chronological order the sequence of events with dates and any names. Sort of bullet point so that its easy to read and understand It will help get the full story straight and you wont forgot any relevant points. Pull together as much evidence as you can in case you need it.

Personally, I think you are being a bit too lenient with them, but understand you just want it sorted. If you do the above, if you are not happy with their next response you can act fairly quickly when contacting Vauxhall or any legal bods.

61,000 miles is nothing
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 18:00]

Car experts/Legal types... on 18:03 - Apr 24 with 4313 viewsDigger

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:47 - Apr 24 by Lord_Lucan

I'm certainly no legal eagle but I think the whole this is nothing short of scandalous.

I think I might be inclined to get a solicitor involved.

At the least I think they should pay you the retail price of the vehicle before they crashed it plus the money that you have given them.

A solicitors advice and letter would cost nothing compared to what you have already handed over to them.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 17:53]

I left out the best bit!
When we went to assess the damage,after the crash,the manager tried to sell it to us that they had “done us a favour”with the crash!We had a scrape on our front bumper previously and now because they had crashed the car,we would be getting a brand new bumper free of scrapes.Went down very well with my 6month pregnant hormonal partner!
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 18:03]
Car experts/Legal types... on 18:14 - Apr 24 with 4278 viewsDeano69

Car experts/Legal types... on 18:03 - Apr 24 by Digger

I left out the best bit!
When we went to assess the damage,after the crash,the manager tried to sell it to us that they had “done us a favour”with the crash!We had a scrape on our front bumper previously and now because they had crashed the car,we would be getting a brand new bumper free of scrapes.Went down very well with my 6month pregnant hormonal partner!
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 18:03]

Wow, that's unbelievable.

Seriously, I think you should escalate this to Vauxhall. Also get confirmation any further legal action as a result of the crash will be completely down to the garage and driver.

Car experts/Legal types... on 18:25 - Apr 24 with 4252 viewsNewcyBlue

Car experts/Legal types... on 18:14 - Apr 24 by Deano69

Wow, that's unbelievable.

Seriously, I think you should escalate this to Vauxhall. Also get confirmation any further legal action as a result of the crash will be completely down to the garage and driver.

A Bentersesque.... This.

Car experts/Legal types... on 21:51 - Apr 24 with 4114 viewsWestSussexBlue

Car experts/Legal types... on 17:16 - Apr 24 by Digger

The amount of people that have said this to me since all these problems started is unreal!Not had a single person with a good word to say about Vauxhall’s!

Fwiw I’ve had Vauxhall cars for 20+ years and they’ve been good solid cars with no real issues,
I did venture to Rover once with a 75 that was shockingly unreliable.
Car experts/Legal types... on 22:02 - Apr 24 with 4086 viewsReuser_is_God

That sounds like a nightmare.

My personal experience & experiences of family members dealing with Vauxhall main dealers is not good either.

The Veichles health checks they do are comical. I took my car there for some work & they done a check, took it back the very next day as the problem persisted & they done another of these checks getting completely different results.

My tyres went from perfectly fine to illegal in less than 24 hours & about 20 mike of driving. I told the bloke he was a fcuking disgrace & haven’t been back since.
[Post edited 24 Apr 2018 22:06]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024