Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons 21:17 - Apr 26 with 2702 viewsm14_blue

All a bit silly isn't it?
The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 21:18 - Apr 26 with 2700 viewsLankHenners

Depends what bit you think is silly.

So how do the board feel about this? by FrimleyBlue 10 Apr 2018 16:00
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/why-the-simpsons-response-to-the-apu-controversy-was-so-heartbreaking-essay/ar-AAvHsr6?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=ientp

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 21:19 - Apr 26 with 2693 viewsitfcjoe

Yep, like everything these days.

No jokes allowed any more.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 21:22 - Apr 26 with 2676 viewsLord_Lucan

It's pathetic.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 23:09 - Apr 26 with 2507 viewsHugoagogo

Whilst I must start with the disclaimer that I do not subscribe to a) regularly reading The Sun; or b) all the views of columnist Rod Liddle, he actually made an interesting observation in today's issue, which I read over a café breakfast this morning.

He was commenting on the furore over a white woman playing Maria in West Side Story for BBC proms (which was protested over to such a degree that she resigned). He pointed out that Hamlet has been played by black actors and everyone thinks it's marvellous. What's the problem with a white woman playing an Hispanic?

Society has gone so far up it's own derriere with the quest for equality and 'rights' that sometimes these ridiculous trivialities are given far more airtime than they deserve!
The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 23:20 - Apr 26 with 2482 viewsTractorCam

Yes, considering every character in the Simpsons is stereotyped, and has only been on air for 30 years

But hey ho, definitely racist!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 23:20 - Apr 26 with 2479 viewsTractorJack

Has anyone actually watched the documentary that started the debate?
The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 23:30 - Apr 26 with 2458 viewsLord_Lucan

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 23:20 - Apr 26 by TractorCam

Yes, considering every character in the Simpsons is stereotyped, and has only been on air for 30 years

But hey ho, definitely racist!

Exactly.

It's not as if the star of the show isn't a lazy, good for nothing, fat, thick, drunken, white (yellow) bloke.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 23:53 - Apr 26 with 2423 viewsSpruceMoose

Well, I guess that’s for Indian-Americans to decide really. I mean, they might choose to consult with some random East Anglian blokes, but I doubt it.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 00:12 - Apr 27 with 2388 viewsStNeotsBlue

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 23:53 - Apr 26 by SpruceMoose

Well, I guess that’s for Indian-Americans to decide really. I mean, they might choose to consult with some random East Anglian blokes, but I doubt it.

Why's that then? The Simpsons have lampooned all of their characters for years. Is it an issue if a Brit is lampooned in a Bollywood movie? Dangerous game and route to go down if we as individuals or organisations can't differentiate between being genuinely offensive/racist or nonsense like this.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2018 0:14]
The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 00:19 - Apr 27 with 2361 viewsLankHenners

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 00:12 - Apr 27 by StNeotsBlue

Why's that then? The Simpsons have lampooned all of their characters for years. Is it an issue if a Brit is lampooned in a Bollywood movie? Dangerous game and route to go down if we as individuals or organisations can't differentiate between being genuinely offensive/racist or nonsense like this.

I take it your answer to TractorJack’s question above is “no”.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 00:21 - Apr 27 with 2356 viewsSpruceMoose

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 00:12 - Apr 27 by StNeotsBlue

Well how do you differentiate?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 01:16 - Apr 27 with 2318 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 23:09 - Apr 26 by Hugoagogo

Whilst I must start with the disclaimer that I do not subscribe to a) regularly reading The Sun; or b) all the views of columnist Rod Liddle, he actually made an interesting observation in today's issue, which I read over a café breakfast this morning.

He was commenting on the furore over a white woman playing Maria in West Side Story for BBC proms (which was protested over to such a degree that she resigned). He pointed out that Hamlet has been played by black actors and everyone thinks it's marvellous. What's the problem with a white woman playing an Hispanic?

Society has gone so far up it's own derriere with the quest for equality and 'rights' that sometimes these ridiculous trivialities are given far more airtime than they deserve!

I looked up this new show Hamilton after someone mentioned it on here. It has black actors playing white roles. What’s wrong with that?
The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 01:29 - Apr 27 with 2305 viewsSpruceMoose

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 01:16 - Apr 27 by FrowsyArmLarry

I looked up this new show Hamilton after someone mentioned it on here. It has black actors playing white roles. What’s wrong with that?

Nothing.

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 04:05 - Apr 27 with 2240 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 01:29 - Apr 27 by SpruceMoose

Nothing.

I don’t think so, but you can’t have white people playing black roles.

Mind you, I’d like to see It Ain’t Half Hot Mum back on the telly
The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 05:42 - Apr 27 with 2211 viewstcblue

The whole furore about Apu in the Simpsons on 04:05 - Apr 27 by FrowsyArmLarry

I don’t think so, but you can’t have white people playing black roles.

Mind you, I’d like to see It Ain’t Half Hot Mum back on the telly

As usual, context is in short supply on the forum.

White people playing 'minority' roles - in a world where it's still a very strange thing for a black ensemble cast (we *are* talking about Hamilton and the reason we know about it is because of this), and a history and present still of overwhelming privilege and opportunity for white actors over minority - I'm sure we might be able to understand how that's more palatable and in some ways to be encouraged versus the opposite?

That's without even thinking about the blackface past (and present, in a lot of countries).

Even if you consider yourself 'colour blind' to the extent you don't see a difference between the two, it's irrelevant. Society has a history and still unlevel playing field, so this will still be seen as a big deal, even with your incredulity.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024