Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UK 40th for Press Freedom 11:12 - Apr 27 with 825 viewsNo9

Not good is it?
Some of us are not surprised

http://pressgazette.co.uk/uk-holds-at-40th-in-world-press-freedom-rankings-but-c
UK 40th for Press Freedom on 11:19 - Apr 27 with 813 viewsStokieBlue

I agree, that's not great at all.

However looking at the list (and given you've approved the source) we can surely finally put to bed that the Russian press is in any way free or a reliable source - 148 out of 180.

I found Singapore at 151 quite a surprise.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

UK 40th for Press Freedom on 11:22 - Apr 27 with 809 viewsNo9

UK 40th for Press Freedom on 11:19 - Apr 27 by StokieBlue

I agree, that's not great at all.

However looking at the list (and given you've approved the source) we can surely finally put to bed that the Russian press is in any way free or a reliable source - 148 out of 180.

I found Singapore at 151 quite a surprise.

SB

Norway 1st & NL 3rd I believe?
But the UK should be better than classed as the worst in Western Europe.

I haven't been to Singa for several years now but I am not surprised and found it an unpleasant place- OK for the first week but after that - No!
UK 40th for Press Freedom on 11:33 - Apr 27 with 800 viewsGuthrum

Hmm. Is the ability to commit libel unpunished a "press freedom"? Especially given the propensity for certain newspapers in this country to print twisted rubbish (sometimes from information obtained illegally). Or the threat of deep corporate purses to put off victims wishing to take action.

Sorry, but I don't feel it's any more right to take an utterly laissez faire attitude to journalism than in banking, business or any other sphere where there is a genuine risk of unscrupulous exploitation.

Plus the UK is hardly Turkey in the way the law of the land is used against the media.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

UK 40th for Press Freedom on 11:38 - Apr 27 with 792 viewsNo9

UK 40th for Press Freedom on 11:33 - Apr 27 by Guthrum

Hmm. Is the ability to commit libel unpunished a "press freedom"? Especially given the propensity for certain newspapers in this country to print twisted rubbish (sometimes from information obtained illegally). Or the threat of deep corporate purses to put off victims wishing to take action.

Sorry, but I don't feel it's any more right to take an utterly laissez faire attitude to journalism than in banking, business or any other sphere where there is a genuine risk of unscrupulous exploitation.

Plus the UK is hardly Turkey in the way the law of the land is used against the media.

It is a fine line but I believe the press here has become very tainted
It is worth reading 'Flat Earth News' to get another perspective
UK 40th for Press Freedom on 11:45 - Apr 27 with 787 viewsGuthrum

UK 40th for Press Freedom on 11:38 - Apr 27 by No9

It is a fine line but I believe the press here has become very tainted
It is worth reading 'Flat Earth News' to get another perspective

I think there's a fairly deep reaction to the phone hacking scandal in the UK. Plus increased political polarisation (including the Brexit campaign) becoming popularly associated with media bias. Has shaken a lot of people's confidence in the press and TV.

But some of that is the fault of their own journalistic excesses.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

UK 40th for Press Freedom on 11:54 - Apr 27 with 775 viewslowhouseblue

UK 40th for Press Freedom on 11:33 - Apr 27 by Guthrum

also the ranking is based on a survey of people involved in the press. press regulation is currently controversial in the uk so the people responding to the survey are making a point about it.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024