Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... 15:45 - Apr 29 with 4924 viewssparks

I took on the village kids team a few years ago now- when the guy who'd run the club for years packed it in (his own boy having reached adult football). My son started in the previous guys team, and was then an under 7 playing int he U8s team I took over. I ran some under 10s for a year simultaneously though that petered out a year later when we needed more numbers to move up an age group.

Position now is that the old U8s team is playing U10s and has a separate manager (I now do the new Under 8s for whom my daughter plays). This season we had a squad of 10 (7 aside) 4 of whom were U10s (including my son) and the rest of whom were really U9s playing up a year. A few more have now joined (friends of the younger ones) and we have a squad of about 14, only 4 of whom are really U10s.

So... we now have to decide what team to enter next year. Do they all move up to U11s? Or stay U10s, meaning the 4 older ones can no longer play?

Its looking like the latter.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2018 16:01]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 15:52 - Apr 29 with 4838 viewsm14_blue

Are they able to compete at the older level?

If so, got to be better to move up together rather than have to let kids go?

Not much fun if they're getting thumped every week though.
A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 15:56 - Apr 29 with 4806 viewssparks

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 15:52 - Apr 29 by m14_blue

Are they able to compete at the older level?

If so, got to be better to move up together rather than have to let kids go?

Not much fun if they're getting thumped every week though.

Theyve done okay. The league is in two divisions (they are in the lower one), and they have held their own against most teams, won as many as lost. But lots of the parents understandably like the idea of their kids playing against their own age group and the balance has now shifted so 11/15 are U9s...

Some of the kids are worried too- as they are changing schools and would be playing against kids in an older year who they currently dont see at their small primary school. They fear being mocked.

At the end of the day its not really my decision anymore, as I passed that team on to the new manager. Who's son is an Under 9...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:01 - Apr 29 with 4775 viewsTedPole

My lads coach told the U12 village team after todays game that it wont run next season. Not enough support from the parents and its too much for him. Also sad because its took my boy a while to get into football, he plays just a few games, gets 'hooked'and now is without a club. Think he will find it hard to get in another team as he lacks experince for his age. He is pretty down at the moment. A heavy defeat today to the league leaders hasn't helped!
[Post edited 29 Apr 2018 16:13]
A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:16 - Apr 29 with 4700 viewssparks

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:01 - Apr 29 by TedPole

My lads coach told the U12 village team after todays game that it wont run next season. Not enough support from the parents and its too much for him. Also sad because its took my boy a while to get into football, he plays just a few games, gets 'hooked'and now is without a club. Think he will find it hard to get in another team as he lacks experince for his age. He is pretty down at the moment. A heavy defeat today to the league leaders hasn't helped!
[Post edited 29 Apr 2018 16:13]

My lad isnt distraught. he doesnt really enjoy the pressure or physical battle of playing. His ball skills when not under pressure are decent, but he tends to stand off in games given half a chance. He'll be very sad about not being part of the group though- thats what he loves about it I think.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2018 16:32]

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:20 - Apr 29 with 4675 viewsm14_blue

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 15:56 - Apr 29 by sparks

Theyve done okay. The league is in two divisions (they are in the lower one), and they have held their own against most teams, won as many as lost. But lots of the parents understandably like the idea of their kids playing against their own age group and the balance has now shifted so 11/15 are U9s...

Some of the kids are worried too- as they are changing schools and would be playing against kids in an older year who they currently dont see at their small primary school. They fear being mocked.

At the end of the day its not really my decision anymore, as I passed that team on to the new manager. Who's son is an Under 9...

Yeah it's tough, no right answer really.

Hope it works out alright for your lad anyway.
A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:32 - Apr 29 with 4587 viewssparks

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:20 - Apr 29 by m14_blue

Yeah it's tough, no right answer really.

Hope it works out alright for your lad anyway.

Hes likely to end up with no club and not playing, in all likelihood. Which is a shame. especially when its a team and club which I took on and put a lot of time and grief into in order to make sure he had somewhere to play!

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:38 - Apr 29 with 4552 viewsm14_blue

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:32 - Apr 29 by sparks

Hes likely to end up with no club and not playing, in all likelihood. Which is a shame. especially when its a team and club which I took on and put a lot of time and grief into in order to make sure he had somewhere to play!

Is U11's still 7 a side? No chance of recruiting a few more of that age and having a team in each age group?

Realise that's easier said than done in a village.
A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:40 - Apr 29 with 4543 viewssparks

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:38 - Apr 29 by m14_blue

Is U11's still 7 a side? No chance of recruiting a few more of that age and having a team in each age group?

U11s is 9 aside.

So we'd need, realistically, 7 new players. And a new manager because I cant do U8s and U11s at the same time :-(

Login to get fewer ads

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:40 - Apr 29 with 4538 viewsRyorry

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:38 - Apr 29 by m14_blue

Do the FA allow mixed m & f teams at that age?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:45 - Apr 29 with 4502 viewsm14_blue

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:40 - Apr 29 by sparks

U11s is 9 aside.

So we'd need, realistically, 7 new players. And a new manager because I cant do U8s and U11s at the same time :-(

Very annoying
A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 17:27 - Apr 29 with 4327 viewssparks

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 16:40 - Apr 29 by Ryorry

Do the FA allow mixed m & f teams at that age?

Yes I think so. Certainly do at U10

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 18:09 - Apr 29 with 4194 viewscooperd5

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 17:27 - Apr 29 by sparks

Yes I think so. Certainly do at U10

Yes, can play mixed up to U16 now.
A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 18:13 - Apr 29 with 4180 viewssparks

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 18:09 - Apr 29 by cooperd5

Yes, can play mixed up to U16 now.

Id question the FAs wisdom on that one. once boys hit 14 15, there are going to be some in the team who really out-power girls of the same age.

But thats a whole idfferent issue I guess.

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 18:41 - Apr 29 with 4123 viewsRyorry

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 18:13 - Apr 29 by sparks

Id question the FAs wisdom on that one. once boys hit 14 15, there are going to be some in the team who really out-power girls of the same age.

But thats a whole idfferent issue I guess.

Guess you've already tried to enthuse some girls into joining then?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 18:42 - Apr 29 with 4121 viewssparks

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 18:41 - Apr 29 by Ryorry

Nope. Just my daughter, who has never managed to persuade any of her friends to come.

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 19:02 - Apr 29 with 4066 viewsBent_double

Just joining in your vent:

My son plays for an U15 side (managed by ex-Budgie Adrian Coote), I went to watch their last home game of the season last Sunday, my sons team were 2nd in the league and they were playing the team in 3rd, so a win and they were promoted.

Final score: 8-1 to the away team, not good, especially after watching the AV game the day before!

He played in the final away game today, they lost 6-1 against the league winners, when he got home to told me that the teams in his division and the one above were merging as so many clubs had folded for whatever reason.

I take my hat off to anyone who arranges/manages/supports football at this level, it's not easy to get a group of teenagers motivated every week to go out and play with basic or no facilities.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 20:28 - Apr 29 with 3906 viewscvillageblue

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 15:56 - Apr 29 by sparks

Are you playing leagues at under 10? If so madness.

I believe that under 12 is some sort of cut off where age is an issue (at least it is in Wales) i.e. u11s not allowed to play up - if that is the case in England then I suggest you muddle along for another year as you are at least then your child has another year to decide what he wants to do.

Ironically size/ physicallity is much more of an issue at around u14s

Blog: Was It Worth It?

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 20:38 - Apr 29 with 3879 viewssparks

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 20:28 - Apr 29 by cvillageblue

Are you playing leagues at under 10? If so madness.

I believe that under 12 is some sort of cut off where age is an issue (at least it is in Wales) i.e. u11s not allowed to play up - if that is the case in England then I suggest you muddle along for another year as you are at least then your child has another year to decide what he wants to do.

Ironically size/ physicallity is much more of an issue at around u14s

No scores or tables are compiled before U11.

You can play up 1 year at any age group.

The issue here is that 3/4 of the team dont want to play up anymore- having done so the past 2 seasons. There's only 3 of the original bunch left- the squad demographics have shifted and most are now U9s instead of U10s. The original team we had with my boy in had his best mate who has gone off to play for the local sports club, in the higher division, because he's genuinely talented, and a keeper who has been poached by a club which provides keeper coaching to him midweek.

New coach came in with his son, and the thing has had some momentum with all their school mates joining- and they are all U9s.

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 20:51 - Apr 29 with 3848 viewscvillageblue

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 20:38 - Apr 29 by sparks

No scores or tables are compiled before U11.

You can play up 1 year at any age group.

The issue here is that 3/4 of the team dont want to play up anymore- having done so the past 2 seasons. There's only 3 of the original bunch left- the squad demographics have shifted and most are now U9s instead of U10s. The original team we had with my boy in had his best mate who has gone off to play for the local sports club, in the higher division, because he's genuinely talented, and a keeper who has been poached by a club which provides keeper coaching to him midweek.

New coach came in with his son, and the thing has had some momentum with all their school mates joining- and they are all U9s.

Hope your son finds a team.

Been coaching my sons team for 9 years - last game (u16s) next week.
Can't say I will miss it!

Blog: Was It Worth It?

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 21:46 - Apr 29 with 3763 viewssparks

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 20:51 - Apr 29 by cvillageblue

Hope your son finds a team.

Been coaching my sons team for 9 years - last game (u16s) next week.
Can't say I will miss it!

I dont think my son will want to go to a team where his mates arent. He's not really a football nut. Much better at Tennis.

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 23:11 - Apr 29 with 3649 viewsbabyblue

Have experience of this and stepping up a year gets more difficult every year that passes and especially when it's U10s to U11s. Physically the U10s who are playing up a year struggle against the true U11s as it's the age that boys start changing physically as well. Would suggest the U9s stay as U10s next season and I know that the 4 boys who were true U10s will have no problem finding clubs as players with experience are normally sought after, especially at U11 level.
A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 23:19 - Apr 29 with 3629 viewssparks

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 23:11 - Apr 29 by babyblue

Have experience of this and stepping up a year gets more difficult every year that passes and especially when it's U10s to U11s. Physically the U10s who are playing up a year struggle against the true U11s as it's the age that boys start changing physically as well. Would suggest the U9s stay as U10s next season and I know that the 4 boys who were true U10s will have no problem finding clubs as players with experience are normally sought after, especially at U11 level.

2 of those 4 will be fine. one has some talent. The other is in size 9 boots already and tackles like Manu Thetis.

My son is less confident, and his mate Henry has always been similar- though he is not without some ability. I dont think either will play anywhere else unfortunately.

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 23:31 - Apr 29 with 3608 viewsChiefXL

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 23:19 - Apr 29 by sparks

2 of those 4 will be fine. one has some talent. The other is in size 9 boots already and tackles like Manu Thetis.

My son is less confident, and his mate Henry has always been similar- though he is not without some ability. I dont think either will play anywhere else unfortunately.

Stupid question but have you checked your local area's section on the FA's website? Local clubs usually "advertise" if they're short of players?
Secondly are you Ipswich based? My boy plays U11 currently and I can ask around. I know a few teams who've been looking for players. GK's especially.
A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 06:56 - Apr 30 with 3494 viewssparks

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 23:31 - Apr 29 by ChiefXL

Stupid question but have you checked your local area's section on the FA's website? Local clubs usually "advertise" if they're short of players?
Secondly are you Ipswich based? My boy plays U11 currently and I can ask around. I know a few teams who've been looking for players. GK's especially.

I'm in the south west these days. We can probably find clubs but I doubt that either my lad or his mate will want to play somewhere new without their gang. Plus I'm still going to be running around coaching and managing the under 8s here anyway.

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 18:31 - Apr 30 with 3315 viewscooperd5

A sad day for my U10s team- just venting really... on 18:41 - Apr 29 by Ryorry

2 girls in my U12 team :-)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024