Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A question - Uni halls 06:32 - May 2 with 16462 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I have searched elsewhere this morning but to no avail so perhaps someone on here would know.

I’m in the Uni halls from September and mates who are at uni now have taken consoles with them. This wasn’t in my thinking tbh but with ‘no satellite point available in the bedrooms’, I might do so and get a small tv. Hopefully get sky go on the Xbox and maybe Netflix in case I’m in the bedroom and bored at some points.

I can’t see myself being in the bedroom that often but with my lack of sleep, it’s something I’m considering.

So:
1) Does SkyGo work if I set it up to my Xbox360?
2) Would it need a satellite point to work? There would be WiFi and Ethernet (whatever that is).

The latter question is relatively simple (I think) but I can’t find an answer anywhere and TWTD is my last resort on that front. My mates use their consoles for gaming but that’s not really my thing (other than a rare game of Fifa occasionally).
[Post edited 2 May 2018 6:33]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

A question - Uni halls on 06:36 - May 2 with 7638 viewsNewcyBlue

Ethernet is the Univeristy way of hacking into your console and watching you whilst you sleep, and do other things in your cabin.

Don’t plug in Ethernet. They will monitor your every move. They will tell you it is just a hard wired internet connection. Don’t believe them Rommers. You’re smarter than that.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

A question - Uni halls on 06:40 - May 2 with 7620 viewsslump

https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/evening-screen-time-can-sabotage-

Get out or do your homework :)

UTT

A question - Uni halls on 06:46 - May 2 with 7602 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

A question - Uni halls on 06:36 - May 2 by NewcyBlue

Ethernet is the Univeristy way of hacking into your console and watching you whilst you sleep, and do other things in your cabin.

Don’t plug in Ethernet. They will monitor your every move. They will tell you it is just a hard wired internet connection. Don’t believe them Rommers. You’re smarter than that.

‘You’re too far in’

A question - Uni halls on 06:46 - May 2 with 7608 viewsDanTheMan

Ethernet is, in basic terms, a wired connection instead of WiFi.

Assuming Sky Go just needs an internet connection you should be fine.

I'll be honest though, you'd be better off with just Netflix if this is your first year.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

A question - Uni halls on 06:59 - May 2 with 7582 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

A question - Uni halls on 06:46 - May 2 by DanTheMan

Ethernet is, in basic terms, a wired connection instead of WiFi.

Assuming Sky Go just needs an internet connection you should be fine.

I'll be honest though, you'd be better off with just Netflix if this is your first year.

I’ve never had Netflix tbh. Even if I didn’t use the skygo, if it’s as simple as just taking my Xbox and sticking skygo on it, I’d be happy to do that. I didn’t realise it would be such a simple thing as to even being able to put it on the Xbox.

All it means is I’ll have to keep my skybox contract running in my room at home but that’s hardly an issue. I’ll give it to my brother or something.

Cheers Dan. Now you say it - I think I know what that Ethernet is now. Didn’t know it had its own name though. Thought it was just a wired WiFi.

A question - Uni halls on 07:00 - May 2 with 7565 viewsNewcyBlue

A question - Uni halls on 06:59 - May 2 by The_Romford_Blue

I’ve never had Netflix tbh. Even if I didn’t use the skygo, if it’s as simple as just taking my Xbox and sticking skygo on it, I’d be happy to do that. I didn’t realise it would be such a simple thing as to even being able to put it on the Xbox.

All it means is I’ll have to keep my skybox contract running in my room at home but that’s hardly an issue. I’ll give it to my brother or something.

Cheers Dan. Now you say it - I think I know what that Ethernet is now. Didn’t know it had its own name though. Thought it was just a wired WiFi.

Don’t ever change.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

A question - Uni halls on 07:11 - May 2 with 7546 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

If it's like my time at Polytechnic you will find there are more than enough Space Invader, Donky Kong and Asteroid game machines in the student union! In between games you can brush up on your pool skills.
[Post edited 2 May 2018 7:12]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

A question - Uni halls on 07:18 - May 2 with 7532 viewsEJP

Keep in mind the WiFi won’t be like whatever you have at home... you’re going to have lots of other people tapping into the same source, resulting in slower speeds...

And signup for Uni Days and whatever other student aimed things you can find - they’ll have discounts in Netflix, Amazon Prime.

Oh... and check whether you need your own TV license in the halls... used to be the halls would have one that encompasses the whole hall, but I think the law has changed and you require individual licenses.
Login to get fewer ads

A question - Uni halls on 07:21 - May 2 with 7506 viewsTractorWood

'Wired wifi' hope you're not going to study IT.

POTY.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

A question - Uni halls on 07:49 - May 2 with 7427 viewsunbelievablue

"I can't see myself being in the bedroom that often"

No arguments here.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

A question - Uni halls on 07:54 - May 2 with 7412 viewsBackToRussia

lol

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

A question - Uni halls on 07:55 - May 2 with 7409 viewsDanTheMan

Well this has just made my day.

A question - Uni halls on 07:57 - May 2 with 7407 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

A question - Uni halls on 07:55 - May 2 by DanTheMan

Well this has just made my day.

With that and Newcy’s reply, I get the sense I’ve said something stupid. Having re-read my post, I can’t work out what it is though.

Too many people have seen for me to edit it out now anyway.

A question - Uni halls on 07:58 - May 2 with 7404 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

A question - Uni halls on 07:18 - May 2 by EJP

Keep in mind the WiFi won’t be like whatever you have at home... you’re going to have lots of other people tapping into the same source, resulting in slower speeds...

And signup for Uni Days and whatever other student aimed things you can find - they’ll have discounts in Netflix, Amazon Prime.

Oh... and check whether you need your own TV license in the halls... used to be the halls would have one that encompasses the whole hall, but I think the law has changed and you require individual licenses.

Individual TV license is required but I assumed I wouldn’t need one if I only play skygo through an Xbox rather than through a skybox.

I don’t know the specifics on it but sorting a TV license out sounds like a bit of a ball ache

A question - Uni halls on 07:59 - May 2 with 7399 viewsDanTheMan

A question - Uni halls on 07:57 - May 2 by The_Romford_Blue

With that and Newcy’s reply, I get the sense I’ve said something stupid. Having re-read my post, I can’t work out what it is though.

Too many people have seen for me to edit it out now anyway.

It's the last sentence. It's not that stupid, but it is very funny.

Bit like how it's now becoming a thing that people don't realise that "the save icon" was actually a physical thing people used to put files on.

A question - Uni halls on 08:01 - May 2 with 7389 viewsunbelievablue

A question - Uni halls on 07:58 - May 2 by The_Romford_Blue

Individual TV license is required but I assumed I wouldn’t need one if I only play skygo through an Xbox rather than through a skybox.

I don’t know the specifics on it but sorting a TV license out sounds like a bit of a ball ache

It really isn't a ballache. You sign up and pay for it.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

A question - Uni halls on 08:07 - May 2 with 7375 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

A question - Uni halls on 08:01 - May 2 by unbelievablue

It really isn't a ballache. You sign up and pay for it.

Like an online application? Do I not need to get documentation and stuff for it though?

Or am I thinking of something completely different here?

A question - Uni halls on 08:08 - May 2 with 7371 viewsDanTheMan

A question - Uni halls on 08:07 - May 2 by The_Romford_Blue

Like an online application? Do I not need to get documentation and stuff for it though?

It's a doddle, you literally fill in a form with your bank details and it's done.

But again, if you can get away with just Netflix it's probably worth it. You'll have way more fun stuff to spend your money on.

A question - Uni halls on 08:11 - May 2 with 7365 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

A question - Uni halls on 08:08 - May 2 by DanTheMan

It's a doddle, you literally fill in a form with your bank details and it's done.

But again, if you can get away with just Netflix it's probably worth it. You'll have way more fun stuff to spend your money on.

Oh. That’s definitely not what I was thinking of then.

For some reason I thought you had to get official confirmation in person for a license. Like with full ID shown and pictures etc. Like a passport type thing.

Sounds kush now you say it’s online
[Post edited 2 May 2018 8:11]

A question - Uni halls on 08:13 - May 2 with 7364 viewsHerbivore

None of us had a TV in our halls, we only really used our rooms for sleeping and spent the rest of our time in our kitchen smoking weed and playing chess and sh!thead.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A question - Uni halls on 08:18 - May 2 with 7340 viewsWeirdFishes

From experience, most people won’t bother with one and are fine.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

A question - Uni halls on 08:23 - May 2 with 7342 viewsfactual_blue

You will be working non-stop, so no time for that nonsense. You'll find the Classics course at Cambridge demanding but stimulating. And the 12.43 from Cambridge will get you to Ipswich for 2.00pm on a Saturday.

Midweek games tricky though - you'll have to leave at half-time as the 22.20 goes no further than Bury St Edmunds.

Which college are you going to be at?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A question - Uni halls on 08:25 - May 2 with 7321 viewshype313

Sounds like you need to go to the university of life first

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

A question - Uni halls on 08:26 - May 2 with 7320 viewshype313

A question - Uni halls on 08:23 - May 2 by factual_blue

You will be working non-stop, so no time for that nonsense. You'll find the Classics course at Cambridge demanding but stimulating. And the 12.43 from Cambridge will get you to Ipswich for 2.00pm on a Saturday.

Midweek games tricky though - you'll have to leave at half-time as the 22.20 goes no further than Bury St Edmunds.

Which college are you going to be at?

Rommers will think that's a course about Reebok.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

A question - Uni halls on 08:28 - May 2 with 7318 viewsfactual_blue

Wifi has of course always been there, created at the time of the Big Bang. The breakthrough was when Tim Berners-Lee developed a system for harvesting quantities of wifi, storing it in large silos, and sending it down wires.
[Post edited 2 May 2018 8:30]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024