Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside 07:51 - May 6 with 3515 viewsnorth_stand77

of my great uncle Harold Henry Easy. He died of wounds and is buried in Esqeulbecq France where we are staying. I had no idea where he was buried a month ago and I believe I am the first family member to ever have visited him.He died 5/5/1918, so I was able to be here for his 100 yr anniversary. Gerard pointed me in the right direction on here, so thank you.

Yesterday we drove to Thiepval where another great uncle by marriage, John Crosse was killed at battle of the Somme.

Previously, I had little knowledge of WW1 battles and all I can say is that it a very moving experience and one I will never forget. So glad I came.
Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 07:56 - May 6 with 3489 viewsBenters2

Its a funny feeling when you find someone related like that isnt it.

Was at Colchester Town station yesterday,there is a picture of a load of sodiers waiting for the train to take them off to war,i always look at it as they look so happy poor fkrs.x
Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 08:45 - May 6 with 3417 viewsnorth_stand77

Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 07:56 - May 6 by Benters2

Its a funny feeling when you find someone related like that isnt it.

Was at Colchester Town station yesterday,there is a picture of a load of sodiers waiting for the train to take them off to war,i always look at it as they look so happy poor fkrs.x

They had no idea what they were letting themselves in for sadly. Two other Gt uncles of mine lied about their ages and joined aged 15 and16 yrs. A year later they were found out and the younger one was sent home for a year before rejoining at 17

Also visited Wormhout yesterday, the very small barn where in 1940, 80 were slaughtered inside by grenades. Horrific.
Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 08:52 - May 6 with 3404 viewsgtsb

I did the battlefields tour two years ago. Thiepval took my breath away. A truly magnificent monument. If you ever get the chance go to the Menin Gate for the evening ceremony and the last post. It brought a tear to my eye and I felt privileged to be there. I will remember that evening for the rest of my life. I'm now an avid collector of all things relating to WW1.
Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 08:55 - May 6 with 3392 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Well done you and to Gerrard for putting the info out there......also what a fantastic name!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 09:01 - May 6 with 3390 viewsgtsb

I took this photo whilst out there. Look at the age. So sad.

Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 09:12 - May 6 with 3357 viewsnorth_stand77

Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 09:01 - May 6 by gtsb

I took this photo whilst out there. Look at the age. So sad.

Thats very sad, where was this cemetary?
Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 09:28 - May 6 with 3328 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

WW2..... Mrs Slave's grandmum was told her husband had died (by telegram) when he was in fact a P.o.W.(far East) He had also joined up under age and went through Dunkirk! Madness.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 10:00 - May 6 with 3298 viewsgtsb

Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 09:12 - May 6 by north_stand77

Thats very sad, where was this cemetary?

To be honest I can't remember. We visited so many places and so many cemeteries in two days I've forgotten half of what I witnessed. Delville Wood is a must see too. The South Africans were massacred there. Something like 4500 men went into the wood and less than 500 came out. At one point the Germans were firing 400 shells an hour into the wood. We were told to be careful where we walk as they are still finding body parts. The memorial there and cemetery are beautiful.
Login to get fewer ads

Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 10:20 - May 6 with 3273 viewsLord_Lucan

Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 09:28 - May 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

WW2..... Mrs Slave's grandmum was told her husband had died (by telegram) when he was in fact a P.o.W.(far East) He had also joined up under age and went through Dunkirk! Madness.

It was only after the Dunkirk film that Mother told me that my Grandad was on a boat waiting to get the order to leave and he was standing on the deck. He lit a fag up and wandered round to the other side. When he walked back to where he was it was gone, that side had took a hit.

No wonder he had a habit of going awol.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 11:22 - May 6 with 3196 viewsgerard1947

So glad I was able to help. It is important to remember those that died also the futility of war.

I always grow far more vegetables than I need. I give away loads but still waste too much. Today I have planted 200gms of Flanders poppy seeds. The seeds are tiny, there must be millions. They are in an area 40m x 20m. They germinate quickly there should be a good show in a few weeks. A simple homage to mark the end of that terrible conflict.
Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 11:25 - May 6 with 3193 viewsimsureazzure

Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 09:28 - May 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

When I first started work, there was an old chap who worked part time he had been a Japanese POW. His wife was informed that he had been killed on the Burma railway build, when he was liberated and returned to Stowmarket the police met him on the station.
His wife had remarried.
Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 11:32 - May 6 with 3182 viewsgtsb

There are some strange WW1 items for sale!!!!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Rare-and-Unusual-Sealed-WW1-US-Prophylactic-CON
Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 18:08 - May 6 with 3016 viewsnorth_stand77

Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 11:32 - May 6 by gtsb

There are some strange WW1 items for sale!!!!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Rare-and-Unusual-Sealed-WW1-US-Prophylactic-CON

Just looked at this. 20 bids now!!
Thanks to gerard1947, I have spent this weekend visiting the graveside on 18:14 - May 6 with 3009 viewsnorth_stand77

Spent today on the beautiful beaches of Dunkirk.

With all the families of different nationalities enjoying the sunshine, it's difficult to imagine the horror that took place there.

This trip is something I will never forget.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024