Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good game that 08:05 - May 7 with 3633 viewsHerbivore

Enjoyed that yesterday, first ten minutes we were great, started really quickly and created some half chances prior to Sears' goal which he took really well. The latter part of the second half we were under the kosh but defended pretty solidly for the most part to see the half out. Second half was end to end stuff, although they had more of the ball we looked the more incisive threat especially when counter attacking. Can't argue with a draw in the end although also wouldn't argue that we didn't deserve a 2-1 win had we held on. The defending of the corner wasn't great but it was a weak ref (who was weak all afternoon aside from the pen) who enabled them to even take the corner when he'd already played more than 6 minutes of injury time having signalled what seemed a pretty generous 5 minutes. Kind of summed up our season a bit that, a lot of what ifs some of which have been in our control and many of which haven't.

The positives today were that we matched a good, expensively assembled Boro side despite having 10+ first team squad players unavailable (again). Sears looked a threat and took his goal well. Nydam is a proper player, I see big things for him. Spence had another good game, making up for some shakier performances in the middle part of the season. McLoughlin is yet another youngster to come in and look unfazed by making his Championship debut, did well to win the penalty and looked up to the challenge physically. Skuse was fantastic, drove forward really well in addition to his usual breaking up play and he nearly scored a worldy of a volley.

The negatives were relatively few. I'm not sold on Kenlock, he often over commits and gets done and then stops and shakes his head rather than quickly recovering to get back and make amends. His final ball isn't up to much either, but to his credit he gets in some good attacking positions. Ideally a loan for him next season, see if he can tear up League 1 and smooth some of the rough edges. Overall we played it on the deck more and that was good but we still struggle to really control possession and that leads to us coming under pressure when ahead in games. Something for a new manager to work on.

Definitely have some good foundations to build from. Waghorn is superb and in his prime, we've got a good mix of youth and experience in key areas. Three or four shrewd signings and getting some of our sicknotes back fit for the new season and the new man should have some decent tools to work with.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Good game that on 08:16 - May 7 with 3588 viewsurbanblue

I know we don't always agree Herbs, but that was a nice little summation for me thousands of miles away .... Cheers!
Good game that on 08:23 - May 7 with 3543 viewsMaySixth

agree 100%

weird to read someone who thinks exactly the same as me

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Good game that on 08:40 - May 7 with 3493 viewschristiand

The fact is Herbivore they are a squad of players that have not been encouraged to retain possession and just look to get the ball forwards as soon as possible for the last 5+ years. A few weeks working under a new manager's philosophy isn't really going to change that fact as they will resort to default mode when under pressure. However, what it has shown is that with a manager that encourages passing football these players can be converted as without doubt the football has been getting better on the eye game by game with Klug, Hogg and Nash.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Good game that on 08:43 - May 7 with 3480 viewsBenters2

Good game that on 08:40 - May 7 by christiand

The fact is Herbivore they are a squad of players that have not been encouraged to retain possession and just look to get the ball forwards as soon as possible for the last 5+ years. A few weeks working under a new manager's philosophy isn't really going to change that fact as they will resort to default mode when under pressure. However, what it has shown is that with a manager that encourages passing football these players can be converted as without doubt the football has been getting better on the eye game by game with Klug, Hogg and Nash.

We we a knew we had a decent bunch of players,it was the way MM set them up to play that was so wrong and boring.
Good game that on 08:50 - May 7 with 3455 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I agree with pretty much all of that, except I’m a bit more positive about Kenlock than you are. Up until recently he hasn’t had a chance to get a consistent run in the team. He is a better wing back than Jonas because he does give us a better attacking outlet. It is inevitable that there will be occasions where he is caught up the pitch, but that’s where having a CB like Jonas is useful because of his experience at playing LB.

The biggest positive for me was the Sears Waghorn partnership. I like Garner but he is a bit one dimensional. Sears could thrive playing alongside Waggy every week.

Poll: Our final position

Good game that on 08:57 - May 7 with 3419 viewsbrogansnose

Good game that on 08:50 - May 7 by southnorfolkblue

I agree with pretty much all of that, except I’m a bit more positive about Kenlock than you are. Up until recently he hasn’t had a chance to get a consistent run in the team. He is a better wing back than Jonas because he does give us a better attacking outlet. It is inevitable that there will be occasions where he is caught up the pitch, but that’s where having a CB like Jonas is useful because of his experience at playing LB.

The biggest positive for me was the Sears Waghorn partnership. I like Garner but he is a bit one dimensional. Sears could thrive playing alongside Waggy every week.

Agree, I like the lad Kenlock who has got ricks in him, but clearly there is a good player in there who has improved a great deal the more he has played in the first team. This season has stood him in good stead.
Good game that on 11:07 - May 7 with 3287 viewsHerbivore

Good game that on 08:50 - May 7 by southnorfolkblue

I actually think Kenlock looks further away from challenging Knudsen for a starting place than he did a year ago. Sure he gets forward but there's no end product. Jonas has 6 or 7 assists this season and is a much better defender. I think Kenlock needs a year on loan playing regularly and hopefully he can improve enough to push on here. At the moment he looks a back up player.

Good game that on 11:12 - May 7 with 3276 viewsPJH

Good game that on 11:07 - May 7 by Herbivore

I actually think Kenlock looks further away from challenging Knudsen for a starting place than he did a year ago. Sure he gets forward but there's no end product. Jonas has 6 or 7 assists this season and is a much better defender. I think Kenlock needs a year on loan playing regularly and hopefully he can improve enough to push on here. At the moment he looks a back up player.

I think that if we are to play a back four in the future then Jonas is way ahead as the first choice LB although as other's have said, Myles Kenlock is possibly the better of the two as a wing back-even then Jonas did have some impressive games playing LWB.
Login to get fewer ads

Good game that on 11:53 - May 7 with 3235 viewsHerbivore

Good game that on 11:12 - May 7 by PJH

I think that if we are to play a back four in the future then Jonas is way ahead as the first choice LB although as other's have said, Myles Kenlock is possibly the better of the two as a wing back-even then Jonas did have some impressive games playing LWB.

Even as a wing back I make Jonas a better option to be honest.

Good game that on 12:45 - May 7 with 3181 viewsPJH

Good game that on 11:53 - May 7 by Herbivore

Even as a wing back I make Jonas a better option to be honest.

Maybe, I did say that "possibly" Kenlock is better in that role but then recalled a number of good performances by Knudsen.
I certainly think that Knudsen improved in the LWB role during the season.
Good game that on 13:07 - May 7 with 3152 viewsMach_foreignBlue

'we looked the more incisive threat especially when counter attacking'

Dear me !!! We're carrying a threat. How often have we seen moments like that in the last couple of years? Not so often and the club seems to be so much better after that horrible pest McCarthy gone.

'Sears looked a threat and took his goal well'...... really happy for him given he had to endure under McCarthy.

Better approach to the games and we see things which we haven't done for a while.
Good game that on 13:09 - May 7 with 3140 viewstractordownsouth

Good game that on 12:45 - May 7 by PJH

Maybe, I did say that "possibly" Kenlock is better in that role but then recalled a number of good performances by Knudsen.
I certainly think that Knudsen improved in the LWB role during the season.

Kenlock needs a year on loan I reckon. I haven't seen loads of games this year but at Sheffiled United he looked poor at LWB

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Good game that on 13:34 - May 7 with 3106 viewsGarv

Good game that on 13:09 - May 7 by tractordownsouth

Kenlock needs a year on loan I reckon. I haven't seen loads of games this year but at Sheffiled United he looked poor at LWB

I like him because he looks so busy all the time and does like to get forward. Can also beat a man when he slaloms inside and out . If he could be taught to really cross a good ball he would be dangerous.

Potentially suspect defensively also, although as times he's very tenacious and comes out with the ball and his feet. Seems to divide opinion.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Good game that on 19:07 - May 7 with 2984 viewsHerbivore

Good game that on 13:07 - May 7 by Mach_foreignBlue

'we looked the more incisive threat especially when counter attacking'

Dear me !!! We're carrying a threat. How often have we seen moments like that in the last couple of years? Not so often and the club seems to be so much better after that horrible pest McCarthy gone.

'Sears looked a threat and took his goal well'...... really happy for him given he had to endure under McCarthy.

Better approach to the games and we see things which we haven't done for a while.

Mick had a lot of faith in Sears, not sure what you feel he had to endure or why you feel the need to bring Mick up at all. He's gone, move on.

Good game that on 21:46 - May 7 with 2909 viewsnshearman1

Good game that on 19:07 - May 7 by Herbivore

Mick had a lot of faith in Sears, not sure what you feel he had to endure or why you feel the need to bring Mick up at all. He's gone, move on.

Because, Herb, you consistently defended Mick in all sorts of ways. Yes, Mick played Sears many times. But Sears never played or scored like he’s done in the past couple of games, just look at that goal yesterday. We do indeed move on, the team including Sears have been entirely different since Mick has moved on as a result of a bit of management by our Academy coach. No need to re-write history, Herb, we have indeed moved on, but all is still in the balance until the next appointment.
Good game that on 22:20 - May 7 with 2885 viewsMeadowlark

The last three games at home have been very enjoyable. This of course included MM's last match v Barnsley and the 0-4 defeat to Villa. However, since "he who must be obeyed" has departed there seems a nicer new atmosphere surrounding the club.
Yesterday:
Knudsen still hoofing when he has time to pass. Do the defence actually talk to each other?
Skuse driving forward? At a snail's pace though. His volleyed shot from the corner was a highlight, but although "dependable" he lacks the flair that we crave. Surely we can find another Roger Osborne or Brian Talbot to fulfill that role?
But I'm looking forward to the new season for a change.
COYB!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024