Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two 11:47 - May 7 with 5923 viewsGarv

But the notion that Sears should move on is way off in my view.

Clearly a confidence player and that particular attribute has obviously been lacking for a long time. That finish yesterday alone suggests he's still a player. I do wish he'd given his second half chance when he turned inside and out a bit more welly but there we go.

I can't see Morris stepping up to be a regular yet so having a striker like Sears will still be useful. Drinan we also haven't seen any of so would suggest he's a way off too at the moment.

Also, does McLoughlin have a specific position? I've just seen BK saying he can play a number of different roles.
[Post edited 7 May 2018 11:47]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 11:54 - May 7 with 5523 viewsGuthrum

If he does leave, we desperately need to replace him with a player capable of running at the opposition with the ball. Apart from the injury-prone Carayol, he's about the only man in the squad who can do that regularly.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 11:54 - May 7 with 5515 viewsmo_itfc

Sears isn't a goal scorer, but seems to prefer that no. 9 role at the head of the attack.

He's only had a good goalscoring record at Colchester, that's probably his level. I'd love it if he proves me wrong, as I like watching him play, but he justbdoesnt get the goals he should.

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 11:55 - May 7 with 5515 viewsgroovyASH

I'm pleased for Sears scoring 2 in 2, but that was it for the entire season. We need more from a player who is a senior striker and probably a fairly high wage earner after his initial success when he joined us. Assuming McG is off this summer and we will be in desperate need of a 3rd striker who can reliably chip in with Waghorn and Garner.

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:16 - May 7 with 5460 viewsGarv

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 11:54 - May 7 by mo_itfc

Sears isn't a goal scorer, but seems to prefer that no. 9 role at the head of the attack.

He's only had a good goalscoring record at Colchester, that's probably his level. I'd love it if he proves me wrong, as I like watching him play, but he justbdoesnt get the goals he should.

You can't deny he has it in him at this level though. When he arrived in Jan 2015 he scored nine I think it was - of course playing alongside Murphy helped but it's not as if we can't find him another partner. Even the season after he started really well with I think 6 goals in the first couple of months.

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:18 - May 7 with 5448 viewswkj

Even in the midst of his epic dry spell I said I thought there was a player in sears trying to get out, and I feel I might have been proven right. It is clear the team loves him and he is a positive character in the dressing room, I would be sad to see him go if he does leave.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:21 - May 7 with 5429 viewstrncbluearmy

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 11:54 - May 7 by Guthrum

If he does leave, we desperately need to replace him with a player capable of running at the opposition with the ball. Apart from the injury-prone Carayol, he's about the only man in the squad who can do that regularly.

It`s noticeable that he is doing less tracking back, so perhaps this gives him the energy to do what he is actually in the team to do. Just one of the changes BK made for the better in his short spell in charge.
I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:24 - May 7 with 5422 viewsSWGF

Turns out he's a striker rather than a wide midfielder.

In the same way, Chambers is a centre half rather than a right back.

Funny that.
[Post edited 7 May 2018 16:29]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:26 - May 7 with 5400 viewsGarv

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 11:55 - May 7 by groovyASH

I'm pleased for Sears scoring 2 in 2, but that was it for the entire season. We need more from a player who is a senior striker and probably a fairly high wage earner after his initial success when he joined us. Assuming McG is off this summer and we will be in desperate need of a 3rd striker who can reliably chip in with Waghorn and Garner.

Agreed, he definitely needs to improve as he's had chances and fluffed them.

May be naïve of me but I like to think he's not on big money. Came from Colchester who have no money and it wouldn't have taken much persuasion to make the switch.

Login to get fewer ads

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:29 - May 7 with 5400 viewsGarv

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:24 - May 7 by SWGF

Funny that.

I'd love to get Mick's take on the Chambers issue. It's as if he didn't bother/feel the need to look for a right back while Chambers was playing there. Was it just when Berra left that he felt he could put him back in the middle? Either way it was a massive factor in the turgid football we've seen.

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:55 - May 7 with 5336 viewsMattRichards4England

I don’t think you’d be posting this if he hadn’t scored 2 in 2. Sears has one of the worst goal scoring records I’ve ever seen at PR and his assists don’t exactly make up for that. He’s weak in the air and lacks that deadly final touch. Good effort from him but his level is league 1 at best.
I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 13:06 - May 7 with 5276 viewsGarv

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:55 - May 7 by MattRichards4England

I don’t think you’d be posting this if he hadn’t scored 2 in 2. Sears has one of the worst goal scoring records I’ve ever seen at PR and his assists don’t exactly make up for that. He’s weak in the air and lacks that deadly final touch. Good effort from him but his level is league 1 at best.

If you'd have asked me before the Reading game I'd still have said I'd like to keep him. Obviously scoring two in two gives one an extra bit of hope but in any case I wouldn't actively be looking to move him on.

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 13:13 - May 7 with 5261 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:29 - May 7 by Garv

I'd love to get Mick's take on the Chambers issue. It's as if he didn't bother/feel the need to look for a right back while Chambers was playing there. Was it just when Berra left that he felt he could put him back in the middle? Either way it was a massive factor in the turgid football we've seen.

He’d probably point out that with Chambers at RB we finished in the top 10 3 times, and since he moved inside we haven’t finished in the top 10 once

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 13:19 - May 7 with 5234 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:16 - May 7 by Garv

You can't deny he has it in him at this level though. When he arrived in Jan 2015 he scored nine I think it was - of course playing alongside Murphy helped but it's not as if we can't find him another partner. Even the season after he started really well with I think 6 goals in the first couple of months.

Those 4 months definitely show he is a regular Championship goalscorer, rather than the other 5-odd seasons spent not scoring goals at this level

I do like his workrate mind

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 13:27 - May 7 with 5184 viewsGarv

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 13:13 - May 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

He’d probably point out that with Chambers at RB we finished in the top 10 3 times, and since he moved inside we haven’t finished in the top 10 once

I imagine you're right.

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 13:31 - May 7 with 5169 viewsGarv

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 13:19 - May 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Those 4 months definitely show he is a regular Championship goalscorer, rather than the other 5-odd seasons spent not scoring goals at this level

I do like his workrate mind

Five seasons? Has he played in the championship with anyone other than us? Might have missed something obvious.

Fair to say his more baron spells have coincided with his change in position though (not all down to that of course). My main point is that he has done it before, so it's not inconceivable to think he could do it again, it's not as if he doesn't get in scoring positions.

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 13:33 - May 7 with 5162 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 13:31 - May 7 by Garv

Five seasons? Has he played in the championship with anyone other than us? Might have missed something obvious.

Fair to say his more baron spells have coincided with his change in position though (not all down to that of course). My main point is that he has done it before, so it's not inconceivable to think he could do it again, it's not as if he doesn't get in scoring positions.

West Ham, Crystal Palace, Coventry and Scunthorpe

0 goals in 47 appearances, in case you were wondering

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 13:36 - May 7 with 5149 viewsGarv

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 13:33 - May 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No need to bring facts into it.

Didn't know he played for Coventry or Scunthorpe, forgot about Palace. Didn't think he'd played for the Hammers in this league.

Let's say I was going on more recent form, just no more recent than 2015!

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 13:42 - May 7 with 5135 viewsstrikalite

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:55 - May 7 by MattRichards4England

With a heavy heart...

This!

How many times also have we seen him blaze over the bar...he seems to go into his shell too, he needs to be a tad nastier somehow, but that isn't him..
I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 13:50 - May 7 with 5116 viewsGuthrum

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:21 - May 7 by trncbluearmy

It`s noticeable that he is doing less tracking back, so perhaps this gives him the energy to do what he is actually in the team to do. Just one of the changes BK made for the better in his short spell in charge.

Similarly why Waghorn's form has picked up again. Can concentrate of the day job rather than having to fetch and carry for themselves.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 14:07 - May 7 with 5080 viewsgroovyASH

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:26 - May 7 by Garv

Agreed, he definitely needs to improve as he's had chances and fluffed them.

May be naïve of me but I like to think he's not on big money. Came from Colchester who have no money and it wouldn't have taken much persuasion to make the switch.

I have a feeling he was put onto a new contract not long after finishing the second half of the play-off season when his stock was at its highest, but I may be wrong.

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 15:30 - May 7 with 4960 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

He has a poor scoring record when played out wide.

He is not a wide man.

He has a good goal scoring record when played as a striker.

He is a striker.

Self explanatory.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 15:31 - May 7 with 4957 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 12:24 - May 7 by SWGF

Funny that.

Spot on!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 15:59 - May 7 with 4895 viewsRegencyBlue

Funny that.

Indeed.

Rocket science it’s not!
I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 16:16 - May 7 with 4863 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 13:33 - May 7 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

West Ham 46 appearances 2 goals (36 were in the Prem and 10 in the Championship). He was just coming through so would mainly have been on as a sub.

On loan in the Championship to the other 3 clubs before he was established playing. I have no idea how often he started or what position he played for them.

In League 1 spent 3 and a half seasons with Col U scoring regularly but never spectacular stats.

Actually had a similar record with us in the Championship until this season.

He is a different option with pace and the ability to play out wide and do a job. Statistics do not always give the full story.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

I'm not just saying this because he's scored two in two on 17:06 - May 7 with 4788 viewsDennyx4

We need to get a striker to replace McGoldrick.

Sears should be 4th choice if he stays, just not a natural goalscorer in my opinion.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024