Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The trouble with interviewing people... 08:45 - May 8 with 5741 viewschicoazul

especially a few people, all for the same job, is that we as people make snap decisions on if we like someone very quickly after we meet them. It can then become about if we like this person rather than can this person do the job. So someone like Sherwood who no doubt is a very garrulous character may already have a competitive advantage over someone like George Burley for instance.
Let's hope Marcus has had some proper training on interviewing people rather than relying on his "instincts" as he has made 4 senior appointments at Town and 3 turned out to be bad.
[Post edited 8 May 2018 8:45]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The trouble with interviewing people... on 08:48 - May 8 with 4190 viewsDubtractor

I always though that job interviews for football manager positions were a bit odd anyway.

I mean, an interview works quite well for an office job, but for something quite so practical as a football manager it seems a poor fit.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The trouble with interviewing people... on 08:50 - May 8 with 4174 viewsStadiumofdark

The trouble with interviewing people... on 08:48 - May 8 by Dubtractor

I always though that job interviews for football manager positions were a bit odd anyway.

I mean, an interview works quite well for an office job, but for something quite so practical as a football manager it seems a poor fit.

Exactly.

"Talk me through your CV"

"What do you think the fans of the last club would say about you?"

" Can you give me an example of a time when..."
The trouble with interviewing people... on 08:51 - May 8 with 4173 viewschicoazul

The trouble with interviewing people... on 08:48 - May 8 by Dubtractor

think I know what you mean but if Evans was appointing a Manager for another of his businesses that owed him 90m and turned over 17m you bet your turntables he would want to meet them and hopefully, put them through a very rigorous process. But like you say football isnt like most other businesses.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

The trouble with interviewing people... on 09:41 - May 8 with 4077 viewsGuthrum

I get your point, however an important part of being a football manager is the relationship with the owner(s)/Chairman. If that doesn't work, the tenure will be short and troublesome.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The trouble with interviewing people... on 09:48 - May 8 with 4055 viewsBrixtonBlue

As a multi-millionaire businessman I imagine he's absolutely fine with interviewing people.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The trouble with interviewing people... on 09:51 - May 8 with 4043 viewsCurrie10

He's appointed 3 - Jim was in the job pre-Evans.

Clearly issues with interviewing - I'm sure football interviews are completely different than your day to day interviews - however surely still a good way to judge a character.

For them to interview you aswell, see what your expectation is of manager/ discuss budgets etc...!?!
The trouble with interviewing people... on 09:52 - May 8 with 4035 viewsBluebell

The trouble with interviewing people... on 09:48 - May 8 by BrixtonBlue

As a multi-millionaire businessman I imagine he's absolutely fine with interviewing people.

I would like to think it won't just be him interviewing the candidates.

I am sure Ian Milne will be there and perhaps he should have someone like Bryan Klug alongside him. After all he will have to work alongside the new manager with regards to the academy and such like. We also don't want anyone who brings his own backroom staff with him. That could be disasterous!
The trouble with interviewing people... on 09:56 - May 8 with 4023 viewsSuperfrans

But isn't that the point. Interviews in these circumstances are important.

If all the other criteria are met, but there is no chemistry with Evans, it won't work.
However, if all the criteria are met, but Evans gets on with a candidate like a house on fire, job's a good 'un.

Practically speaking though, Sherwood doesn't meet all the criteria I'd expect, one of them being the support of the fanbase, another being previous experience demonstrating an ability to manage a football team.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

The trouble with interviewing people... on 09:59 - May 8 with 4012 viewsSimonCleggsNeck

I wouldn't worry about Marcus liking the bloke. he appointed Roy Keane.

Poll: Would you join in with a ‘Marcus Evans is a ****, he hates Ipswich’ chant?

The trouble with interviewing people... on 10:12 - May 8 with 3980 viewschicoazul

The trouble with interviewing people... on 09:51 - May 8 by Currie10

He's appointed 3 - Jim was in the job pre-Evans.

Clearly issues with interviewing - I'm sure football interviews are completely different than your day to day interviews - however surely still a good way to judge a character.

For them to interview you aswell, see what your expectation is of manager/ discuss budgets etc...!?!

4 my friend. Clegg.

The trouble with interviewing people... on 10:14 - May 8 with 3967 viewschicoazul

The trouble with interviewing people... on 09:48 - May 8 by BrixtonBlue

People always say this but his track record is very bad in general. He didn't interview anyone else (apart from a brief chat with Redknapp) when he appointed Mick. As you say he is very successful which makes it even less likely he has much experience at interviewing people in say the last 10 years since successful people get other people to do that for them.

The trouble with interviewing people... on 10:15 - May 8 with 3958 viewschicoazul

The trouble with interviewing people... on 09:56 - May 8 by Superfrans

But isn't that the point. Interviews in these circumstances are important.

If all the other criteria are met, but there is no chemistry with Evans, it won't work.
However, if all the criteria are met, but Evans gets on with a candidate like a house on fire, job's a good 'un.

Practically speaking though, Sherwood doesn't meet all the criteria I'd expect, one of them being the support of the fanbase, another being previous experience demonstrating an ability to manage a football team.

Yep those are fair points.

The trouble with interviewing people... on 10:16 - May 8 with 3956 viewschicoazul

The trouble with interviewing people... on 09:59 - May 8 by SimonCleggsNeck

I wouldn't worry about Marcus liking the bloke. he appointed Roy Keane.

Keane is incredibly charismatic and one of the most famous people in football. You pretty much illustrate my point.

The trouble with interviewing people... on 10:18 - May 8 with 3946 viewsSimonCleggsNeck

The trouble with interviewing people... on 10:16 - May 8 by chicoazul

Keane is incredibly charismatic and one of the most famous people in football. You pretty much illustrate my point.

I thought he always came across as a nasty spiteful individual

Poll: Would you join in with a ‘Marcus Evans is a ****, he hates Ipswich’ chant?

The trouble with interviewing people... on 10:20 - May 8 with 3940 viewschicoazul

The trouble with interviewing people... on 10:18 - May 8 by SimonCleggsNeck

I thought he always came across as a nasty spiteful individual

Me too but I have no doubt if you or I sat down with him for 10 minutes we would be bewitched. It's Roy Keane after all.

The trouble with interviewing people... on 10:52 - May 8 with 3878 viewsLord_Lucan

I posted this on the wrong thread.

On the tim Sherwood thing by Lord_Lucan 8 May 2018 9:47
Everyone is getting their knickers in a twist.

He’s had an interview - so what, there will be plenty of interviews.

Even if he came across very well his record will be scrutinised along with his man management, media communications, personal character et al. Klug knows him and will be consulted, potential fans reaction will be considered.

We seem to be in a situation where there are some fair candidates available and interested.

Marcus Evans is no fool and contrary to beliefs nor is Milne

Don’t panic Captain Mainwairing.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The trouble with interviewing people... on 10:53 - May 8 with 3869 viewschicoazul

The trouble with interviewing people... on 10:52 - May 8 by Lord_Lucan

I posted this on the wrong thread.

On the tim Sherwood thing by Lord_Lucan 8 May 2018 9:47
Everyone is getting their knickers in a twist.

He’s had an interview - so what, there will be plenty of interviews.

Even if he came across very well his record will be scrutinised along with his man management, media communications, personal character et al. Klug knows him and will be consulted, potential fans reaction will be considered.

We seem to be in a situation where there are some fair candidates available and interested.

Marcus Evans is no fool and contrary to beliefs nor is Milne

Don’t panic Captain Mainwairing.

The trouble with this "Marcus is no fool" thing is that much of the evidence points to the contrary.

The trouble with interviewing people... on 11:01 - May 8 with 3851 viewsLord_Lucan

The trouble with interviewing people... on 10:53 - May 8 by chicoazul

The trouble with this "Marcus is no fool" thing is that much of the evidence points to the contrary.

He appointed Keane and lets face it, we were pretty much all very happy with that, he appointed Mick Mack and whilst the ending may have come a bit late he was certainly the man for the job at the time.

Rather than spend their morning on TWTD like you and me I suspect that he has more pressing matters so if he is a fool I dread to think what that makes us.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

The trouble with interviewing people... on 11:03 - May 8 with 3843 viewsgordon

No, this is absolutely right - if the person doing the interviewing basically knows less about the job than the person applying, then anything can happen. That's why it's absolutely insane that a club like Ipswich doesn't have a senior person who knows football well, but not necessarily a big name, but wants to stay a bit in the background (like Klug), advising and deciding the direction of the club.

If a manager is at a job interview, they are always going to say they want to encourage the academy, play attractive football, bring on the young players etc. Those characters with the gift of the gab are always going to get more chances in management, I agree with the OP completely, and this applies to lots of professions too.
The trouble with interviewing people... on 11:07 - May 8 with 3821 viewschicoazul

The trouble with interviewing people... on 11:01 - May 8 by Lord_Lucan

He appointed Keane and lets face it, we were pretty much all very happy with that, he appointed Mick Mack and whilst the ending may have come a bit late he was certainly the man for the job at the time.

Rather than spend their morning on TWTD like you and me I suspect that he has more pressing matters so if he is a fool I dread to think what that makes us.

Oh I'm definitely a fool. I didnt get where I am today by being clever I can assure you of that.

But my point really on this is that we have 10 years of evidence to show us that Evans is not very good at running his football club.

The trouble with interviewing people... on 11:12 - May 8 with 3796 viewsSuperfrans

The trouble with interviewing people... on 11:03 - May 8 by gordon

No, this is absolutely right - if the person doing the interviewing basically knows less about the job than the person applying, then anything can happen. That's why it's absolutely insane that a club like Ipswich doesn't have a senior person who knows football well, but not necessarily a big name, but wants to stay a bit in the background (like Klug), advising and deciding the direction of the club.

If a manager is at a job interview, they are always going to say they want to encourage the academy, play attractive football, bring on the young players etc. Those characters with the gift of the gab are always going to get more chances in management, I agree with the OP completely, and this applies to lots of professions too.

The fact is, we do have senior people at the club who know football well and want to stay in the background. They're Bowman, Klug and Evans (who, as Lucan has pointed out, is smarter and better advised on football matters than many other club owners).

The trouble with interviewing people... on 11:18 - May 8 with 3763 viewsSuperfrans

The trouble with interviewing people... on 11:07 - May 8 by chicoazul

Oh I'm definitely a fool. I didnt get where I am today by being clever I can assure you of that.

But my point really on this is that we have 10 years of evidence to show us that Evans is not very good at running his football club.

There is a lot of evidence to the contrary, actually.

I have my issues with Milne (who I think is a fool, unlike Lucan) but Evans has made 3 managerial appointments which were right at the time - Keane (big name, put Evans and the club on the media map, had experience in promotion etc), Jewell (also had experience of promotion, got the team playing entertaining football again etc), McCarthy (saved us from relegation, got us solid again, with our own players and a great bunch of lads too etc).

Of course, it eventually went sour with all three of them (as it does with most/all managers), but we have never been relegated, haven't spent loads of money with nothing to show for it (as Wednesday, Forest, Derby etc have).

I'm not suggesting that all is rosy in the garden, but owning / managing a club to promotion is not as easy as it might seem.

The trouble with interviewing people... on 11:23 - May 8 with 3748 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

I'd love to know how this works in football, as this is what I do for a living in business.

I would hope that what happens is:

** deciding first what you really want the new manager to do, as many people have already said, which should fit with the 5 year plan and will be different to when MM was appointed as the Club is in a different position now (not fighting relegation with a bunch of overpaid wasters)
e.g. use young players, build a relationship with fans/community, accept limited finances etc. Basically these are the skills, experiences, traits, you are looking for

** then, you would get someone to draw up a short list of who fits this, who really KNOWS the people - this is where the hard work happens, talking to people in the game, really finding out about character, ambition, drive, people skills, what really happened in the dressing room etc.
I guess this is where any inexperienced ex-player must get very high marks for developing younger players, passing on advice, strength of character, being admired etc. if we are to take a risk down that route

** then the interview(s) - #1, this should be about being connecting with the Chairman, and other key people above, as others say anyone can bullsh1t in an interview re what they'll do, the key for ME is does he get on with him, believe him etc. That's a tricky skill but I would hope he knows how to do that

** after that, appoint, give time, give support and hope like hell you've got it right!

At the end of the day(!) it is always a risk appointing anyone
The trouble with interviewing people... on 11:25 - May 8 with 3737 viewsBrixtonBlue

The trouble with interviewing people... on 10:14 - May 8 by chicoazul

People always say this but his track record is very bad in general. He didn't interview anyone else (apart from a brief chat with Redknapp) when he appointed Mick. As you say he is very successful which makes it even less likely he has much experience at interviewing people in say the last 10 years since successful people get other people to do that for them.

Is it correct he didn't interview anyone else when looking for Jewell's successor? I dunno, I didn't read that anywhere. Besides, Mick was a correct appointment was he not? He did the job he was brought in to do and more.

Dunno, also, how you know about the brevity of his chat with Redknapp, or if he consulted anyone else.

Every club has managers that don't work out for whatever reason. I (and I suspect most people) didn't see a lot wrong with either Jewell or Keane as appointments at the time. I don't think either of those show Marcus to be a fool.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The trouble with interviewing people... on 11:25 - May 8 with 3737 viewsDanFord

Is this not good though from our perspective? If Evans just reads Sherwood's CV, he will see two big clubs and a decent win record at Spurs. If he meets him he's bound to immediately think he's a massive twerp.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024