Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... 09:10 - May 8 with 63050 viewslinhdi

I went to the opening night on Friday. For once, I agree with the reviews in the press - this show is simply brilliant.

It tells the story of our FA Cup run and win in 1978, from January to May, through the lives of Town fans and their families. The script is very closely based on memories provided by Town fans. Each round of the cup is accompanied by a live band playing tracks from 1978, effortlessly moving from Blonde to the Bee Gees to The Clash (etc).

It is hilarious - I defy you not to spot a bit of yourself, and maybe of any family members who don't do football (you don't have to be a fan to like this show).

The actor playing Sir Bobby is just superb - voice, body language. Those who knew Sir Bobby best said he has captured him really well.

And then there was the moment, at the end, when...... (No, just go see it!).

Fans who were there have gone misty-eyed, saying it captures the feeling superbly. Those who weren't there get to feel a bit what it was like.

I'll be going a few more times yet. (Runs to 26th May).
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 16:44 - May 23 with 7792 viewsReuser_is_God

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 10:02 - May 23 by Heathlander

I went last night and was blown away. I was in tears. Sir Bobby was amazing. the young girl was brilliant too. She was playing a 12 year old. I was 11 when I went to the Cup Final. I could relate to her character and the excitement. football meant everything to me at that age.

I went to the Home games in that cup run and the semi at Highbury and the final. I remember more about the semi final. It was such a brilliant match and atmosphere in the clock end. and when Warky got the third everyone went bananas. all the arsenal fans around the area wishing us well and saying see you at Wembley.

The music was brilliant too loved white riot and London Calling. It really caught that time in history brilliantly. It was funny, moving and nostalgic. For any town fan it's a must see but for someone my age (51) or above it is a beautiful trip down memory lane. We had Warky at the end too. It was without doubt one of the best things I have ever seen.

I think there are very limited tickets left as it ends on Saturday. If you haven't been you should. It was truly amazing. people have said Marcus Evans should watch that to understand what ITFC means to people. I couldn't agree more. Sir Bobby was a truly great man and the word legend was made for him. I loved that man. I met him at Elland Road once. I was working for BT at the Spain v Romania match at Euro 96 and he was the Barcelona manager at the time. I was having a walk around the ground before the kick off when I saw him about to go into the Director's entrance. I shouted Bobby and he stopped and said hi. I told him I was an Ipswich fan and he talked to me for about five minutes and you could see his love for us. What a man and what a show. Thank you Wolsey Theatre.

Last night was the second time I’d been & I’m very tempted to go once more.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 16:53 - May 23 with 7784 viewsKieran_Knows

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 16:44 - May 23 by Reuser_is_God

Last night was the second time I’d been & I’m very tempted to go once more.

I'd quite happily go again!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 16:58 - May 23 with 7778 viewsReuser_is_God

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 16:53 - May 23 by Kieran_Knows

I'd quite happily go again!

Not sure I can though unfortunately!

Evans out

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 17:51 - May 23 with 7747 viewsTLA

That was outstanding.

Was that really not a young Sir Bob?!
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 19:41 - May 23 with 7711 viewsStowTractorBoy

Went this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. Loads and loads of positives but why did the players wear white shirts in all match sketches and why were girls in the team ? The Bobby Robson acting was the highlight for me and the musical backing group were excellent. The actor playing Mick Mills looked rather overweight but make no mistake this production was a smash hit for me. Brian Talbot entered the stage at the end and he looked well. Oh and I fell in love with the bride.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 21:03 - May 23 with 7666 viewsHarry_Palmer

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 19:41 - May 23 by StowTractorBoy

Went this afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed it. Loads and loads of positives but why did the players wear white shirts in all match sketches and why were girls in the team ? The Bobby Robson acting was the highlight for me and the musical backing group were excellent. The actor playing Mick Mills looked rather overweight but make no mistake this production was a smash hit for me. Brian Talbot entered the stage at the end and he looked well. Oh and I fell in love with the bride.

I did initially wonder about the white shirts myself but I think it was because they were doing action scenes for the opposition as well as Town, and I guess they didn't have the time to change shirts or enough people / space for two sets of players.

And you are right about the bride ( Melanie ), definitely very pleasing on the eye
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 03:48 - May 24 with 7573 viewsharlingblue

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 09:32 - May 8 by PhilTWTD

I was there on Sunday and it is well worth seeing whether you're old enough to remember it or otherwise.

Re Peter Peverley, the actor who plays Bobby Robson, he's done a remarkable job. Don't just take that from me, I asked Mick Mills his thoughts in the interval and he was similarly impressed. Actually, you can hear him - and he has got the body language and mannerisms similarly off to a tee - in the bit below from Sunday's radio show. He speaks after the interview with the author Peter Rowe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p064wb5r#play#t=1h51m09s

Ticketing details etc here:

FA Cup Final Musical Opens Friday 1st May 2018 15:09
Friday sees the New Wolsey Theatre stage the opening night of Our Blue Heaven, the specially-written musical celebrating Sunday’s 40th anniversary of Town’s 1978 FA Cup final triumph. 6

Went twice, great show, Peter Peverley as Bobby Robson superb.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 13:55 - May 24 with 7468 viewscarlisleaway

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 03:48 - May 24 by harlingblue

Went twice, great show, Peter Peverley as Bobby Robson superb.

Took the wife who absolutely hates football, after watching Ipswich for 42 years of our married life she now understands why I get emotional about a win or upset when we lose. So on that basis thank you Wolsey Theatre for at long last showing football for what it really is, how I love anything connected with ITFC but for Christ sake Evans sort the new manager out.
Login to get fewer ads

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 09:44 - May 25 with 7202 viewsSWGF

Went last night. Utterly fantastic. Had a Q&A with the cast and creative people behind it.

The mannerisms of Sir Bob were spot on. The chap who played him said he'd studied film of Sir Bob and had also been able to speak to Pat Godbold at length to try and recreate his persona.

Warky was sat next to us. He was laughing along, all the way through. Presume it was the first time he'd actually sat and seen it. He was getting more fidgety as his goal against WBA was coming up. Brilliant.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 11:43 - May 25 with 7152 viewstrncbluearmy

Unfortunately being 2000 miles away I am not going to get to see it,there is no DVD available and it`s not going to be extended.

but tell me do the audience get involved,are there cheers and boos,any songs that the audience start, is there a rendition of We`re on the march with Robsons army......................

basically do the audience act like a crowd at a football match?
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 11:53 - May 25 with 7142 viewsHeathlander

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 11:43 - May 25 by trncbluearmy

Unfortunately being 2000 miles away I am not going to get to see it,there is no DVD available and it`s not going to be extended.

but tell me do the audience get involved,are there cheers and boos,any songs that the audience start, is there a rendition of We`re on the march with Robsons army......................

When I went the audience sang 'he's here he's there he's every flipin where Johnny Wark Johhny Wark' when he came on. But using the actual proper swear word.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 11:57 - May 25 with 7142 viewsLord_Lucan

Unfortunately not when I went, initially I thought everyone might cheer a goal - but then you would have to cheer every one and it might get in the way of the acting - I don't know.

It didn't really resemble a football crowd at any point - apart from maybe a bit at the end.

I think that the lack of audience participation was a disappointment but then again the crowds might have been different on another night.

I reckon if it was done oop north and about a northern club the audience would probably be a bit less reserved.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 12:05 - May 25 with 7128 viewsPJH

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 11:57 - May 25 by Lord_Lucan

Unfortunately not when I went, initially I thought everyone might cheer a goal - but then you would have to cheer every one and it might get in the way of the acting - I don't know.

It didn't really resemble a football crowd at any point - apart from maybe a bit at the end.

I think that the lack of audience participation was a disappointment but then again the crowds might have been different on another night.

I reckon if it was done oop north and about a northern club the audience would probably be a bit less reserved.

The afternoon that I went there was next to no audience input apart from the singing of Edward Ebenezer.
It might have been good to have more audience response but on the other hand too much would have detracted from what was going on on stage.

I tried to avoid your word 'participation' because that will forever be associated with another football team.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 12:22 - May 25 with 7115 viewslinhdi

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 09:44 - May 25 by SWGF

Went last night. Utterly fantastic. Had a Q&A with the cast and creative people behind it.

The mannerisms of Sir Bob were spot on. The chap who played him said he'd studied film of Sir Bob and had also been able to speak to Pat Godbold at length to try and recreate his persona.

Warky was sat next to us. He was laughing along, all the way through. Presume it was the first time he'd actually sat and seen it. He was getting more fidgety as his goal against WBA was coming up. Brilliant.

Warky had definitely seen it before, as I've seen him there. Shows how great the show is, that it still gets people even on repeat visits. I'm off again tonight. And tomorrow night!
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 12:24 - May 25 with 7111 viewsKieran_Knows

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 12:22 - May 25 by linhdi

Warky had definitely seen it before, as I've seen him there. Shows how great the show is, that it still gets people even on repeat visits. I'm off again tonight. And tomorrow night!

Wark was the 'guest appearance' at the end of the show on Tuesday night, when I went.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 13:15 - May 25 with 7081 viewsLord_Lucan

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 12:22 - May 25 by linhdi

Warky will go anywhere where he thinks he'll get a free pint.

That may be the biggest definite info to date on this board.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 13:33 - May 25 with 7069 viewsPinewoodblue

Think it might be an age thing, the evening we went there were few people there under forty. They didn't need the words displayed to join in Edward Ebenezer.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 13:40 - May 25 with 7067 viewsLord_Lucan

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 13:33 - May 25 by Pinewoodblue

Think it might be an age thing, the evening we went there were few people there under forty. They didn't need the words displayed to join in Edward Ebenezer.

I don't understand why any fan of any age wouldn't know the words to Ebineezer Brown.

When I went they had the words on a screen, not sure if that was a new thing or there from the start.

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 16:59 - May 25 with 6975 viewsFreddies_Ears

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 13:40 - May 25 by Lord_Lucan

I don't understand why any fan of any age wouldn't know the words to Ebineezer Brown.

When I went they had the words on a screen, not sure if that was a new thing or there from the start.

It was introduced after the first night, where it was clear most of the audience didn't know the words. (Shocking, yes).
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 17:42 - May 25 with 6956 viewsReuser_is_God

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 11:57 - May 25 by Lord_Lucan

The first time I went ‘que sera sera’ carried on for a bit once the black lad had started it in the performance.

That’s about as rowdy as it got apart from the endings both times I went.

Evans out

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 19:21 - May 25 with 6916 viewsstonojnr

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 17:42 - May 25 by Reuser_is_God

The first time I went ‘que sera sera’ carried on for a bit once the black lad had started it in the performance.

That’s about as rowdy as it got apart from the endings both times I went.

but part of me thinks that was the bit that was missing from the rest of the cast, in a pantomime or at a comedy gig the performers work the audience to get them to join in, theyll "ad lib" (more often than not scripted ad libs) that break the 4th wall barrier and draws you in. maybe earlier in the run it was more football crowd style audiences and they didnt have to do that, whereas certainly the show I saw this week was more traditional Wolsey style theatre audience, where maybe you have to encourage more to get the same kind of reactions going.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 15:24 - May 26 with 6773 viewsColin_Viljoen

Going to the last show tonight, so should be rocking!
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 17:01 - May 26 with 6755 viewslinhdi

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 15:24 - May 26 by Colin_Viljoen

Going to the last show tonight, so should be rocking!

It will be amaaazing - I am there for my 6th time, and hope we really rock the place tonight.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:15 - May 26 with 6672 viewstrueblue1970

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 17:01 - May 26 by linhdi

It will be amaaazing - I am there for my 6th time, and hope we really rock the place tonight.

Went tonight took my dad great night we both really enjoyed it great at the end a real good atmosphere would have been nice to have had an oncore as it was last night with big al, Roger Osbourne n Micky Mills on stage
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:18 - May 26 with 6668 viewstrueblue1970

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:15 - May 26 by trueblue1970

Went tonight took my dad great night we both really enjoyed it great at the end a real good atmosphere would have been nice to have had an oncore as it was last night with big al, Roger Osbourne n Micky Mills on stage

Forgot to mention thought the music was fantastic
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024