Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... 09:10 - May 8 with 63270 viewslinhdi

I went to the opening night on Friday. For once, I agree with the reviews in the press - this show is simply brilliant.

It tells the story of our FA Cup run and win in 1978, from January to May, through the lives of Town fans and their families. The script is very closely based on memories provided by Town fans. Each round of the cup is accompanied by a live band playing tracks from 1978, effortlessly moving from Blonde to the Bee Gees to The Clash (etc).

It is hilarious - I defy you not to spot a bit of yourself, and maybe of any family members who don't do football (you don't have to be a fan to like this show).

The actor playing Sir Bobby is just superb - voice, body language. Those who knew Sir Bobby best said he has captured him really well.

And then there was the moment, at the end, when...... (No, just go see it!).

Fans who were there have gone misty-eyed, saying it captures the feeling superbly. Those who weren't there get to feel a bit what it was like.

I'll be going a few more times yet. (Runs to 26th May).
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 09:23 - May 8 with 18491 viewsPJH

I had no intention of going to see it but based on recommendations such as yours and hoppy's I just might.

I often go misty eyed when thinking about 1962,1978,1981 and 2000 so it sounds like if I do go I will be in tears.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 09:32 - May 8 with 18504 viewsPhilTWTD

I was there on Sunday and it is well worth seeing whether you're old enough to remember it or otherwise.

Re Peter Peverley, the actor who plays Bobby Robson, he's done a remarkable job. Don't just take that from me, I asked Mick Mills his thoughts in the interval and he was similarly impressed. Actually, you can hear him - and he has got the body language and mannerisms similarly off to a tee - in the bit below from Sunday's radio show. He speaks after the interview with the author Peter Rowe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p064wb5r#play#t=1h51m09s

Ticketing details etc here:

FA Cup Final Musical Opens Friday 1st May 2018 15:09
Friday sees the New Wolsey Theatre stage the opening night of Our Blue Heaven, the specially-written musical celebrating Sunday’s 40th anniversary of Town’s 1978 FA Cup final triumph. 6

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 11:46 - May 8 with 18345 viewsPJH

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 09:23 - May 8 by PJH

I had no intention of going to see it but based on recommendations such as yours and hoppy's I just might.

I often go misty eyed when thinking about 1962,1978,1981 and 2000 so it sounds like if I do go I will be in tears.

Ticket booked for tomorrow afternoon!
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 21:31 - May 8 with 18225 viewsbluejacko

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 11:46 - May 8 by PJH

Booked for then as well!
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 21:33 - May 8 with 18200 viewshoppy

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 11:46 - May 8 by PJH

I’m sure you will thoroughly enjoy it!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 21:42 - May 8 with 18199 viewsPJH

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 21:33 - May 8 by hoppy

I’m sure you will thoroughly enjoy it!

Sure I will so I should not have to enforce the money back guarantee if not delighted that you gave me.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 00:00 - May 9 with 18082 viewsnorth_stand77

We went tonight after reading recommendation on here. It was brilliant.

The chap who played Sir Bobby was excellent. His voice, mannerisms etc were spot on. As were the band.

I could identify with the character of the young girl too - that's exactly how I was as a young supporter!

It's well worth seeing if you get the chance
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 16:09 - May 9 with 17818 viewsmrshallisfit

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 09:32 - May 8 by PhilTWTD

I was there on Sunday and it is well worth seeing whether you're old enough to remember it or otherwise.

Re Peter Peverley, the actor who plays Bobby Robson, he's done a remarkable job. Don't just take that from me, I asked Mick Mills his thoughts in the interval and he was similarly impressed. Actually, you can hear him - and he has got the body language and mannerisms similarly off to a tee - in the bit below from Sunday's radio show. He speaks after the interview with the author Peter Rowe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p064wb5r#play#t=1h51m09s

Ticketing details etc here:

FA Cup Final Musical Opens Friday 1st May 2018 15:09
Friday sees the New Wolsey Theatre stage the opening night of Our Blue Heaven, the specially-written musical celebrating Sunday’s 40th anniversary of Town’s 1978 FA Cup final triumph. 6

Not sure Mick Mills would be that flattered by being played by his actor. The guy is a bit of tank.
Login to get fewer ads

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 16:19 - May 9 with 17793 viewsSwansea_Blue

I saw the sequal - Our Yellow Participation. I didn’t think much of it tbh, seemed to lack content and was a poor imitation of the original OBH

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 16:36 - May 9 with 17782 viewsBluespeed225

Went last night, must say it does take you back to that feeling of the time, vouchers, locations etc. Take a scarfe for the finale! We got Roger Osborne as our ‘surprise player’! The bloke must have studied hours of SBR footage!
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 17:59 - May 9 with 17680 viewsPJH

Just seen it, it is everything that people that had previously seen it said it was.
Very good, brings back memories especially of Millwall-not that the memories have ever been far away.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 18:00 - May 9 with 17654 viewshoppy

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 17:59 - May 9 by PJH

Just seen it, it is everything that people that had previously seen it said it was.
Very good, brings back memories especially of Millwall-not that the memories have ever been far away.

Phew... my money is safe then?!

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 18:01 - May 9 with 17674 viewsPJH

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 18:00 - May 9 by hoppy

Phew... my money is safe then?!

Yes, no need for me to enforce the money back guarantee-so glad I went.

edit-thanks for insisting that I should see it.
[Post edited 9 May 2018 18:02]
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 18:09 - May 9 with 17644 viewshoppy

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 18:01 - May 9 by PJH

Yes, no need for me to enforce the money back guarantee-so glad I went.

edit-thanks for insisting that I should see it.
[Post edited 9 May 2018 18:02]

You're welcome. I'm glad my enthusing about it encouraged you to go. It really is one not to be missed, isn't it?
Did you also take the opportunity to look back at all the fantastic memories around the bar area etc that the ITFC Heritage Society have put together?

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 19:01 - May 9 with 17603 viewsNewcyBlue

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 18:09 - May 9 by hoppy

You're welcome. I'm glad my enthusing about it encouraged you to go. It really is one not to be missed, isn't it?
Did you also take the opportunity to look back at all the fantastic memories around the bar area etc that the ITFC Heritage Society have put together?

Not to be missed you say...

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 19:02 - May 9 with 17583 viewshoppy

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 19:01 - May 9 by NewcyBlue

Not to be missed you say...

Well, apart from certain circumstances, obviously.

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 20:25 - May 9 with 17529 viewsnorth_stand77

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 17:59 - May 9 by PJH

The Millwall sketch was very accurate. No segregation, pitch invasions, and fights. We were standing on old broken concrete steps and were soon infiltrated by Millwall. A teenage Ipswich lad a few steps down from me was singled out and repeatedly hit over the head from behind with a big lump of 4 by 2. He just froze and took it. Horrible.

I also left the game at 1-3 (As in the Play) just to get the hell out of the ground. We had no idea where any of the coaches were parked, kept walking around all these little streets but were soon spotted by the locals. When we did eventually find the coaches (there were loads) We set off in convoy and many coaches were bricked, bottled and windows smashed., including ours. Very scary
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 21:53 - May 9 with 17427 viewsPJH

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 20:25 - May 9 by north_stand77

The Millwall sketch was very accurate. No segregation, pitch invasions, and fights. We were standing on old broken concrete steps and were soon infiltrated by Millwall. A teenage Ipswich lad a few steps down from me was singled out and repeatedly hit over the head from behind with a big lump of 4 by 2. He just froze and took it. Horrible.

I also left the game at 1-3 (As in the Play) just to get the hell out of the ground. We had no idea where any of the coaches were parked, kept walking around all these little streets but were soon spotted by the locals. When we did eventually find the coaches (there were loads) We set off in convoy and many coaches were bricked, bottled and windows smashed., including ours. Very scary

It was very accurate exactly for the reasons that you say.
I went by train and my mate and I actually stayed until the end but then had to try to look as miserable as possible which was difficult after you had just won 6-1 to make the semi finals.
The bit in the play that particularly related to me was when George Burley scored my mate started to throw his arms up and I slapped his arms down-lightening reflexes!
We were in the end that ITFC attacked second half so as it turned out we were away from most of the trouble in the ground.
We got a brick through the train carriage window on the way out of New Cross Gate station.
[Post edited 9 May 2018 21:59]
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 08:06 - May 10 with 17119 viewskingcarloss

Booked for tomorrow evening with a pre show meal, can't wait.

Poll: Forget old club connections, or one of our own, who would you prefer with Skuse.

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 09:44 - May 10 with 17043 viewsbluejacko

Went yesterday afternoon,
Very highly recommended,A very pleasant 2hrs.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 18:14 - May 11 with 16312 viewsnorthstandblonde

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 09:44 - May 10 by bluejacko

Went yesterday afternoon,
Very highly recommended,A very pleasant 2hrs.

A real feel good feeling after seeing this play lots of great songs from that era too great acting and as everyone has mentioned the likeness to SBR is amazing you could actually imagine it is him on the stage.

so enjoyed it I am going again.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:02 - May 11 with 16201 viewstrueblue1970

just booked my tickets looking forward to it
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 06:43 - May 12 with 16083 viewsdissboy2

on your review, will book, cheers
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 08:46 - May 12 with 16019 viewscarlisleaway

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 06:43 - May 12 by dissboy2

on your review, will book, cheers

Took Mrs Carlisle last night, not a football fan but we both thoroughly enjoyed the evening. A must for anyone associated with Ipswich Town. Must admit bought a tear to the eye along with quite a few big guys next to me.
Bought back many memories especially as I had seen all the cup ties leading up to the final.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 12:09 - May 12 with 15907 viewsimsureazzure

I went last night with my son, wonderful show, if ME wants to impress on any prospective manager what it means to be an Ipswich Town supporter he should take them to a performance.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024