Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... 09:10 - May 8 with 63048 viewslinhdi

I went to the opening night on Friday. For once, I agree with the reviews in the press - this show is simply brilliant.

It tells the story of our FA Cup run and win in 1978, from January to May, through the lives of Town fans and their families. The script is very closely based on memories provided by Town fans. Each round of the cup is accompanied by a live band playing tracks from 1978, effortlessly moving from Blonde to the Bee Gees to The Clash (etc).

It is hilarious - I defy you not to spot a bit of yourself, and maybe of any family members who don't do football (you don't have to be a fan to like this show).

The actor playing Sir Bobby is just superb - voice, body language. Those who knew Sir Bobby best said he has captured him really well.

And then there was the moment, at the end, when...... (No, just go see it!).

Fans who were there have gone misty-eyed, saying it captures the feeling superbly. Those who weren't there get to feel a bit what it was like.

I'll be going a few more times yet. (Runs to 26th May).
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:20 - May 21 with 7328 viewsevansblue

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:04 - May 21 by Lord_Lucan

Just got back.

Yes it was very good. Bobby Robson was obviously a stand out, his accent and mannerisms are uncanny - down to the slight lisp and couple of glasses of whisky pronunciations.

The young girl was very good as was the black guy and I also liked the vicar. I'm glad the black bloke was in there as we had a very large black following back then - dis proportionally high even with a town with a large black population.

The Tractor boy reference annoyed me as did the Bristol accents a bit - but that even happens on prime time TV. Oh and we never had a Martlesham Police HQ back then. All in all though a very good night out.

Only downside was I had a call from our alarm centre in the interval advising us that an alarm was going off in one of our units - but obviously I ignored this and went back in for the second half.

Finally, I presume we played in white throughout for stage lighting purposes.

Finally finally - and I don't want to post a spoiler. Is the ending the same every night?

Did you have an ex town player come on stage at the end ? We had Johnny Wark and my mate had Mick Mills but not sure if we just got lucky
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:24 - May 21 with 7322 viewsnorth_stand77

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:20 - May 21 by evansblue

Did you have an ex town player come on stage at the end ? We had Johnny Wark and my mate had Mick Mills but not sure if we just got lucky

Roger Osbourne came on the night I went.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:29 - May 21 with 7317 viewsLord_Lucan

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:24 - May 21 by north_stand77

Roger Osbourne came on the night I went.

We also had Roger.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:41 - May 21 with 7309 viewsjaykay

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:29 - May 21 by Lord_Lucan

We also had Roger.

yes it was brilliant.i dont know how old you were in 1978 but i think you will find marlesham police station opened in 1976. i thought i heard someone on their phone near the carpark steps ,saying their alarm had gone off and didnt want to travel hour and a half to it.
where was the tractor boy bit in the play as i cant remember it.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:52 - May 21 with 7300 viewsLord_Lucan

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:41 - May 21 by jaykay

yes it was brilliant.i dont know how old you were in 1978 but i think you will find marlesham police station opened in 1976. i thought i heard someone on their phone near the carpark steps ,saying their alarm had gone off and didnt want to travel hour and a half to it.
where was the tractor boy bit in the play as i cant remember it.

Ha. That was me then! I phoned the alarm centre up after the show, I've had someone check the place out and there was no break in so I hope it's reset itself now.

Tractor Boy bit was said a couple of times. Once early on I think and another when they said Tractor Boys v The Gooners.

I think they were referring to Martlesham Police HQ.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 00:18 - May 22 with 7284 viewslinhdi

We also had Roger.

Anyone wanting to see the show? There are very few tickets left for the rest of the run, so you'll need to get booking! Well done all the fans who have turned this into a massive hit show, so much by word of mouth.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 07:01 - May 22 with 7230 viewspowinswitch

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 19:46 - May 21 by Lord_Lucan

Live link up.

I am in your photo Lucan.

I purposely avoided reading this thread until going, which I did last night. Was very close to blubbering on numerous occasions, from the first time Sir Bobby came on and spoke. But when they played Eberneezer at the end, I couldn’t help myself and was sobbing like a good un. Brilliant, just brilliant. Superb performances throughout, but particularly the young girl and Sir Bobby. But that is unfair as they were all wonderful.

Somebody mentioned a couple of mistakes, one not spotted earlier in the thread. Something I thought was wrong was after the Villa game, Bobby spoke to the players. He said that the keeper was a 17 year old making his debut. I seem to recall it was the wonderfully brave Laurie Sivell.

Football has diminished a lot over the last 40 years, but my love for the club has not. 40years ago, really from when we beat Millwall, the whole community was proud of the club, and I think the feeling was reciprocated. Football has lost its souls, but last night recaptured that feeling of belonging to something big, something together. As Sir Bobby so perfectly said in his short monologue towards the end.

A very happy although still emotional Towen buh.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 08:26 - May 22 with 7198 viewsITFC_Forever

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 07:01 - May 22 by powinswitch

I purposely avoided reading this thread until going, which I did last night. Was very close to blubbering on numerous occasions, from the first time Sir Bobby came on and spoke. But when they played Eberneezer at the end, I couldn’t help myself and was sobbing like a good un. Brilliant, just brilliant. Superb performances throughout, but particularly the young girl and Sir Bobby. But that is unfair as they were all wonderful.

Somebody mentioned a couple of mistakes, one not spotted earlier in the thread. Something I thought was wrong was after the Villa game, Bobby spoke to the players. He said that the keeper was a 17 year old making his debut. I seem to recall it was the wonderfully brave Laurie Sivell.

Football has diminished a lot over the last 40 years, but my love for the club has not. 40years ago, really from when we beat Millwall, the whole community was proud of the club, and I think the feeling was reciprocated. Football has lost its souls, but last night recaptured that feeling of belonging to something big, something together. As Sir Bobby so perfectly said in his short monologue towards the end.

Wasn't Paul Overton who played against Villa in that thrashing? (and therefore the 17 year old kid they were referring to)

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 08:26 - May 22 with 7194 viewsITFC_Forever

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:20 - May 21 by evansblue

What was that about not giving away a spoiler....?

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 08:37 - May 22 with 7188 viewsLord_Lucan

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 08:26 - May 22 by ITFC_Forever

Wasn't Paul Overton who played against Villa in that thrashing? (and therefore the 17 year old kid they were referring to)

Yes it was Overton, not Laurie Sivell.

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 09:18 - May 22 with 7155 viewsBluespeed225

It was Overton, but Sivell was badly injured at Villa Park, diving at the feet on Andy Gray. As you say, very brave, and a very good keeper, still played a part in the 80-81 season!
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 09:22 - May 22 with 7152 viewsPJH

We also had Roger.

Noddy Talbot the afternoon that I went.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 10:45 - May 22 with 7115 viewsHarry_Palmer

Is that your big bald head? You need to get what's left of that shaved off my lad!
[Post edited 22 May 2018 12:27]
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 12:05 - May 22 with 7073 viewsjaykay

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 23:52 - May 21 by Lord_Lucan

Ha. That was me then! I phoned the alarm centre up after the show, I've had someone check the place out and there was no break in so I hope it's reset itself now.

Tractor Boy bit was said a couple of times. Once early on I think and another when they said Tractor Boys v The Gooners.

I think they were referring to Martlesham Police HQ.

that what i ment the marlesham police H.Q. it opened in 76 haymills built it.
the small bit with mastermind was really funny.
i will always remember the millwall game , i got a couple of slaps that day nothing major,but saw some awful beatings. i got in that night,mrs had just put the kids to bed.she said have you had a good afternoon oh you've bumped your head. she had no idea what had gone on.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 19:50 - May 22 with 6947 viewspowinswitch

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 10:45 - May 22 by Harry_Palmer

Is that your big bald head? You need to get what's left of that shaved off my lad!
[Post edited 22 May 2018 12:27]

Ha. Nah that’s not me. There are plenty of others in the photo, including my missus and I.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 21:13 - May 22 with 6912 viewsKieran_Knows

That was excellent. Really glad I managed to get to it before it finished. Can only recommend people to see if before Saturday!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:20 - May 22 with 6886 viewsPinewoodblue

Very enjoyable evening, we are lucky to have the NWT, not just the bricks and mortar but everything about the place. The only factual comment I would make is that at one point reference was made to the Cobbold Stand, can't remember when it was renamed but pretty sure it was long after 78 and was still then known as Portman Stand.

Loved everything about the performance, especially the ending. Shame it wouldn't appeal to a wider audience. They have 3 years to write the sequel, who know Phil might allow them to call it TWTD.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:22 - May 22 with 6881 viewsReuser_is_God

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:20 - May 22 by Pinewoodblue

Very enjoyable evening, we are lucky to have the NWT, not just the bricks and mortar but everything about the place. The only factual comment I would make is that at one point reference was made to the Cobbold Stand, can't remember when it was renamed but pretty sure it was long after 78 and was still then known as Portman Stand.

Loved everything about the performance, especially the ending. Shame it wouldn't appeal to a wider audience. They have 3 years to write the sequel, who know Phil might allow them to call it TWTD.

They have to do another in 3 years don’t they? They just have too.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:25 - May 22 with 6876 viewshoppy

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:20 - May 22 by Pinewoodblue

I disagree with your last paragraph... I definitely think it has appeal for a wider audience than just Town fans - there is enough about the overall performance and storylines to suggest that to me.

Glad you made it!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:32 - May 22 with 6870 viewsLord_Lucan

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:25 - May 22 by hoppy

I disagree with your last paragraph... I definitely think it has appeal for a wider audience than just Town fans - there is enough about the overall performance and storylines to suggest that to me.

Glad you made it!

I think I disagree.

I can't see how it would appeal to other fans, it was too game specific.

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:49 - May 22 with 6861 viewsReuser_is_God

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:32 - May 22 by Lord_Lucan

I think I disagree.

I can't see how it would appeal to other fans, it was too game specific.

I think the ending would have to change but the rest of it encapsulates life in general & it has the Bobby Robson factor.

Football fans will go see it purely for him.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 08:28 - May 23 with 6753 viewsPJH

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 22:22 - May 22 by Reuser_is_God

They have to do another in 3 years don’t they? They just have too.

Then another one in 2022 about Sir Alf and the team that won the League.

It would be nice for a then 85 year old Ray Crawford to come on at the end to the tune of Entry Of The Gladiators.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 09:34 - May 23 with 6722 viewsTLA

I'm going to the performance this afternoon at 2:30pm - the person I was going with can't make it so there's a free ticket on offer if anyone wants to come along.

If anyone is interested, the first to message me can have it.
Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 09:57 - May 23 with 6705 viewsitfcjoe

I'm finally going tonight, really looking forward to it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our Blue Heaven - brilliant, unmissable... on 10:02 - May 23 with 6705 viewsHeathlander

I went last night and was blown away. I was in tears. Sir Bobby was amazing. the young girl was brilliant too. She was playing a 12 year old. I was 11 when I went to the Cup Final. I could relate to her character and the excitement. football meant everything to me at that age.

I went to the Home games in that cup run and the semi at Highbury and the final. I remember more about the semi final. It was such a brilliant match and atmosphere in the clock end. and when Warky got the third everyone went bananas. all the arsenal fans around the area wishing us well and saying see you at Wembley.

The music was brilliant too loved white riot and London Calling. It really caught that time in history brilliantly. It was funny, moving and nostalgic. For any town fan it's a must see but for someone my age (51) or above it is a beautiful trip down memory lane. We had Warky at the end too. It was without doubt one of the best things I have ever seen.

I think there are very limited tickets left as it ends on Saturday. If you haven't been you should. It was truly amazing. people have said Marcus Evans should watch that to understand what ITFC means to people. I couldn't agree more. Sir Bobby was a truly great man and the word legend was made for him. I loved that man. I met him at Elland Road once. I was working for BT at the Spain v Romania match at Euro 96 and he was the Barcelona manager at the time. I was having a walk around the ground before the kick off when I saw him about to go into the Director's entrance. I shouted Bobby and he stopped and said hi. I told him I was an Ipswich fan and he talked to me for about five minutes and you could see his love for us. What a man and what a show. Thank you Wolsey Theatre.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024