Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. 10:17 - May 9 with 5458 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

last night. I've been dreading this for a few weeks. I had been dropping subtle hints recently to try and cushion the blow, making him aware that it could happen.

Bart is undoubtedly BBM Jr's favourite player but David McGoldrick is a very very close 2nd!

He had already decided that if he were a mascot again, he would be coming onto the pitch with David (he was with Bart for the first game of the season).

"Oh, what the heck!" he exclaimed as a first reaction. "Why Daddy, why?"

I tried to articulate the situation to him in a way that he could understand. I could see the disappointment in his eyes, after all I shared that same feeling.

I watched as his thoughts turned to Bart. "Bart's not leaving, is he Daddy?"

"I hope not Son, I really hope not." That would break his heart...

Have any TWTDers been through anything similar? He was close to tears when Daryl Murphy left (his first ITFC hero) and I had to try and explain the transfer system to a boy whom had turned 6 just days before. Confusion reigned: "Ipswich sell people for money Daddy?"

A few minutes later and he understood a lot more After a while, the disappointment passed and I'm sure it will this time too - I'm sure I felt the same when Wark, Mariner, Muhren etc left...
I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 10:21 - May 9 with 4719 viewsBluefish

I was gutted when Dozzell left. I found out while on the Norfolk broads and remember it well.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 10:25 - May 9 with 4692 viewsfarkenhell

I cried like a baby when the first David Johnson left for Liverpool.

Mind you, I was 26 at the time!
I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 10:28 - May 9 with 4670 viewsKeno

that was really your dad calling you, and you are 37

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 10:42 - May 9 with 4639 viewsHeathlander

As a yute I had to see Cooper, Burley, Mills, Talbot, Hunter, Beattie, Osman, Butcher, Wark, Mariner, Brazil, gates, Murhen, Thijssen, Whymark, Johnson, Hamilton, Viljoen and Osborne leave.

I got over it :)

I haven't really. It's ruined my life.
I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 20:30 - May 9 with 4467 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 10:21 - May 9 by Bluefish

I was gutted when Dozzell left. I found out while on the Norfolk broads and remember it well.

I bumped into him at the Aston Villa game, he's a top man!
I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 20:32 - May 9 with 4462 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 10:42 - May 9 by Heathlander

As a yute I had to see Cooper, Burley, Mills, Talbot, Hunter, Beattie, Osman, Butcher, Wark, Mariner, Brazil, gates, Murhen, Thijssen, Whymark, Johnson, Hamilton, Viljoen and Osborne leave.

I can definitely relate to that, as a young boy, it was difficult to understand just why all our great players were leaving...
I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 20:36 - May 9 with 4452 viewsSuperfrans

I remember crying when Brian Talbot was sold.

My dad (a Spurs fan) said to me, “I know how it feels son - that’s how I felt when we sold Martin Chivers.”

Of course, I was 11 at the time, my dad had been 40 when Spurs sold Chivers.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 20:39 - May 9 with 4436 viewsfabian_illness

The most disappointed I've ever been over ITFC is when Burley got his marching orders as manager.

Both my kids are big town fans but neither get too upset at the comings and goings.
Login to get fewer ads

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 20:42 - May 9 with 4424 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 20:36 - May 9 by Superfrans

I remember crying when Brian Talbot was sold.

My dad (a Spurs fan) said to me, “I know how it feels son - that’s how I felt when we sold Martin Chivers.”

Of course, I was 11 at the time, my dad had been 40 when Spurs sold Chivers.

I find each one these replies fascinating; everyone recalls which player(s) made them feel that way, and one or two even remember where they were!
I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 20:47 - May 9 with 4408 viewsSuperfrans

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 20:42 - May 9 by Bad_Boy_Mark

I find each one these replies fascinating; everyone recalls which player(s) made them feel that way, and one or two even remember where they were!

They’re all formative experiences. Without being melodramatic, it was probably the first time most of us cried or got upset about something so detached - not from grazing our knees, being slapped by our parents, etc,

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 20:48 - May 9 with 4399 viewsjudespiveyg

I remember being very disappointed about the selling of Connor Wickham. I was 9 and I remember my heart sinking seeing it on the back of the EADT after trying to convince myself for several weeks it wasn't going to happen. That was the first time Ipswich sold my favourite player.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 20:53 - May 9 with 4375 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 20:47 - May 9 by Superfrans

They’re all formative experiences. Without being melodramatic, it was probably the first time most of us cried or got upset about something so detached - not from grazing our knees, being slapped by our parents, etc,

Never thought about it like that, but you're absolutely right! It's a character building occurrence...

I still wouldn't want to be telling BBM Jr that Bart has left, let's hope he signs that contract quickly!
I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 20:59 - May 9 with 4350 viewsReuser_is_God

Burley being sacked, the sale of Stewart & not being able to sign Peralta permanently were all difficult for me.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 21:07 - May 9 with 4324 viewsWD19

It has just been normal for as long as I have been following Town.

Richard Wright leaving is probably the one I lament most......but none of them leaving has kept me awake at night.
I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 21:15 - May 9 with 4308 viewsStNeotsBlue

Finding out Dalian Atkinson was leaving was gut wrenching for me. As a child I'd already accepted that I'd missed the boat with seeing our great side but was convinced Dalian was our ticket back to greatness. Never liked Sheffield Wed since.
I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 21:35 - May 9 with 4251 viewsLimitlessBlue

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 10:21 - May 9 by Bluefish

when Taricco left, that broke my heart.

Poll: So 2 wins out of 2 are you now.....

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 22:02 - May 9 with 4199 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 21:35 - May 9 by LimitlessBlue

I remember that; someone let on to Tottenham about the release clause and a bid came along shortly after for £1.77M, which 'coincidentally' was the exact figure set out in Taricco's contract...

On a side note, do you remember his wonderful strike at home against Crystal Palace from about 25 yards out?
I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 22:28 - May 9 with 4139 viewsPlums

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 21:15 - May 9 by StNeotsBlue

Finding out Dalian Atkinson was leaving was gut wrenching for me. As a child I'd already accepted that I'd missed the boat with seeing our great side but was convinced Dalian was our ticket back to greatness. Never liked Sheffield Wed since.

Yes, Dalian made the 120 mile drive to FPR worthwhile. It was then I realised we were no longer a big club.
But Butcher leaving was the end of an era and hurt far more.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 23:01 - May 9 with 4076 viewssohamblue74

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 22:28 - May 9 by Plums

Yes, Dalian made the 120 mile drive to FPR worthwhile. It was then I realised we were no longer a big club.
But Butcher leaving was the end of an era and hurt far more.

I'm with you on Terry Butcher going to Rangers the summer after relegation. That really hurt. I was nearly 12 years old and on a camping holiday when I found out. More recently I was gutted when Darren Ambrose went to Newcastle for peanuts.
I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 23:11 - May 9 with 4062 viewsconnorscontract

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 10:42 - May 9 by Heathlander

But you weren't that fussed about Woods or Geddis?

Or Keiron or Richard Wright?

I was probably the most gutted in a long time when Stephen Hunt was released. He epitomised all that was best about McCarthy's best team.
I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 23:26 - May 9 with 4029 viewsChiefXL

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 21:35 - May 9 by LimitlessBlue

This 💔
I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 02:45 - May 10 with 3908 viewshoppy

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 23:11 - May 9 by connorscontract

But you weren't that fussed about Woods or Geddis?

Or Keiron or Richard Wright?

I was probably the most gutted in a long time when Stephen Hunt was released. He epitomised all that was best about McCarthy's best team.

You spelt ‘Jay Tabb’ wrongly...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 08:00 - May 10 with 3776 viewsfergalsharkey

When Mariner left it taught me a lot about life and football.

My family didn’t care about footy and I was barely 10.

Harsh days , particularly when he scored against France for England at Spain ‘82 I felt numb when they said Arsenal’s Paul Mariner.
😒

Poll: Cook out?

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 08:08 - May 10 with 3766 viewstractordownsouth

I got upset when Danny Haynes left, I used to love him. And of course Murphy, I still get a bit emotional seeing him in another team's shirt

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 08:20 - May 10 with 3748 viewsfarkenhell

I Broke The News About David McGoldrick To 7-year-old BBM Jr Over A Video Call.. on 08:00 - May 10 by fergalsharkey

When Mariner left it taught me a lot about life and football.

My family didn’t care about footy and I was barely 10.

Harsh days , particularly when he scored against France for England at Spain ‘82 I felt numb when they said Arsenal’s Paul Mariner.
😒

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Mariner was still with us at the time of the '82 World Cup? Didn't we have Mariner, Butcher & (captain) Mills in the England team -v- France?

It was fair to say that he was past his best when he left for Arsenal (although in my opinion he still left for peanuts).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024