Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted 10:25 - May 10 with 2697 viewsHeathlander

Hi TWTD. Anyone off to Orlando or been recently? I am looking to go in last week of September for a couple of weeks. Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on companies to book with, good places to stay? Not looking to do Disney just chill and enjoy the yankee doddle dandy lifestyle.
Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 10:29 - May 10 with 2691 viewsFixed_It

I go fairly regularly but tend to stay in Disney. You might want to compare air fares with flying in to Miami - I have always found that cheaper, although may not be an issue in September.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 12:00 - May 10 with 2619 viewsfloridablue

" just chill and enjoy the yankee doddle dandy lifestyle." Thats what i've been doing for the last 15 years! I live a few miles west of Disney in what is known as the vacation villa hub. If you are not interested in the 'parks' then you might be better off looking somewhere on the Gulf Coast like Sarasota area or Clearwater beach. If you google a British forums with all things connected to Florida.... thedibb plenty of villas to rent. advice etc. If you want any advice from me just pm and i'll try to help out.
Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 14:52 - May 10 with 2554 viewssolemio

Don't
Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 15:28 - May 10 with 2530 viewsfloridablue

Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 14:52 - May 10 by solemio

Don't

Any reason?
Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 15:29 - May 10 with 2528 viewsnoggin

Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 12:00 - May 10 by floridablue

" just chill and enjoy the yankee doddle dandy lifestyle." Thats what i've been doing for the last 15 years! I live a few miles west of Disney in what is known as the vacation villa hub. If you are not interested in the 'parks' then you might be better off looking somewhere on the Gulf Coast like Sarasota area or Clearwater beach. If you google a British forums with all things connected to Florida.... thedibb plenty of villas to rent. advice etc. If you want any advice from me just pm and i'll try to help out.

Siesta Key in Sarasota is my favourite place in the states. Fantastic beach and some great bars in the village.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 15:35 - May 10 with 2515 viewsfloridablue

Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 15:29 - May 10 by noggin

Siesta Key in Sarasota is my favourite place in the states. Fantastic beach and some great bars in the village.

I'll agree with that and just a short drive North is my 2nd choice, Anna Maria Island....reminds me i must plan a visit!
Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 15:42 - May 10 with 2500 viewsfooters

Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 12:00 - May 10 by floridablue

Stayed in Clearwater when I was younger and only recently discovered it was a Scientology* town! Is it still like that? Heard they were trying to elect Scientologist councillors to the board.

We also had a hurricane whilst there so had to stay either in the bathroom or basement car park for hours on end. Went out in the eye of the storm too- great stuff!

*Other pseudo-religious sci-fi cults are available.
[Post edited 10 May 2018 15:43]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 17:28 - May 10 with 2414 viewsBluefish

Bahama Bay no brainer

Ask me as many questions as you want on Orlando I love the place

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Login to get fewer ads

Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 18:31 - May 10 with 2372 viewssolemio

Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 15:28 - May 10 by floridablue

Any reason?

No sensible reason. Florida just is not my scene. You go and have a great time.
Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 19:07 - May 10 with 2343 viewsfloridablue

Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 17:28 - May 10 by Bluefish

Bahama Bay no brainer

Ask me as many questions as you want on Orlando I love the place

Just down the 'road' (US 27) from me. Decent Resort but in my opinion there's newer and better in the area. Check out the newly opened Grove Resort & Spa just a couple of miles from Bahama Bay and started by the same British owner/financers who then 'disappeared' during the recession in 07/08 upsetting aload of investors. Bought out and construction finished and recently opened.
Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 19:18 - May 10 with 2331 viewsBluefish

Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 19:07 - May 10 by floridablue

Just down the 'road' (US 27) from me. Decent Resort but in my opinion there's newer and better in the area. Check out the newly opened Grove Resort & Spa just a couple of miles from Bahama Bay and started by the same British owner/financers who then 'disappeared' during the recession in 07/08 upsetting aload of investors. Bought out and construction finished and recently opened.

You are a lucky man!

BB is still holding up well and has so much facility wise, kids splashpark, sandy beach etc.

I'm back there In October

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 20:48 - May 10 with 2285 viewsjas0999

There seems to be a lot more snakes then there used to be? Particularly at Universal.
Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 23:35 - May 10 with 2220 viewsHennikerBlu

Food can be a bit repetitive the restaurant menus are very similar in the resorts. I would see if you can get some local knowledge once you are there, if you want a bit more variety. If you like burger, steak, cheese, cheese and mac and cheesy pizza etcetera; and lots of it you will be fine. I went to Universal last year, whilst the theme parks are much improved, I wasn't overly impressed with the restaurant options. Still would go again as its just like being a kid!

Tip: If you can play around with your dates you can get a much better deal, I think I booked via Travel Republic, by reducing from 14 days down to 12 I think we saved over £500 scuby's. We went by British Airways and were there during the Hurricane!
Advice from anyone going to Orlando wanted on 00:24 - May 11 with 2194 viewsTheDailyTractor

Just got back today which was my third visit. Have stayed at cabana bay resort next to universal each time and it's fantastic.

My main tips would be;

- Food can get repetitive in parks although city walk at universal has a variety of restaurants (NBC sports bar was good, showed premier league games whilst I was there of you ask, tons of tvs inside). However there's alot more cheaper places on international drive.

- Take extra money for tipping. It's alot more important there than here.

- I would recommend a park or two. Universal three park ticket (Universal studios/islands of adventure and volcano bay included) was about £200 ish for 14 days unlimited use. Not bad and you can go as many times as you like. In my opinion Disney is better but it's over double the price but does include fast passes and memory maker for photos.

- Wal-Mart is their supermarket out there and is pretty much a dead cert when I go. 32 bottles of water for $5 As opposed to $3.50 for 1 inside a park. Handy to stock up on snacks.

- have always booked with Thomson (now TUI) they've always been pretty good and the flight has never been as issue. Only thing I noticed is entertainment isn't as good as virgin per say in terms of movies on board (virgin has over 100 and tui flights have about 20-25).

- personally myself I don't drive out there as I find it ridiculously confusing and there's always major road works all the time. Even more so than Ipswich! Main taxi company is called mears. However there shuttle taxis are cheaper than normal taxis if you are travelling somewhere further away. For example from universal to Disney cost me $21 per person for a return in a shuttle where as a taxi was $44 one way.

- shopping wise the outlets out there are ridiculously cheap. Levis, addidas, Nike, ted baker etc always have decent deals

- finally I found everyone there very friendly! If you can try and get to a footie match and enjoy!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024