Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lucania Snooker Club 13:24 - May 10 with 7234 viewswoodbridge_blue

Does anyone have any memories of the Lucania Snooker Club in Upper Brook Street. I was walking past the old entrance to it earlier today and recalled it was a regular haunt of mine in the late 70s early 80s, occasionally as part of the pre-match ritual. I seem to remember it had 24 tables, of a very wide range of standard and quality, and although a dark and foreboding place from the outside, I never experienced any bother in there at all. The only downside to it was that it had no licence, so no alcohol was served, although on reflection maybe that wasn't such a bad thing!
Lucania Snooker Club on 13:57 - May 10 with 7201 viewsblueislander

Yep. Gondolier Coffee Bar was next door.
Lucania Snooker Club on 16:17 - May 10 with 7146 viewsLord_Lucan

"The Pin Hall"

I used to go in there now and again in the early to mid 80's

I thought I remembered having a pint in there but on reflection I think you're correct.

I heard stories of various London clubs trying to get in there but never saw any trouble at all. The last time I can remember going in there was when Shrewsbury knocked us out of the FA Cup. We had attempted to get to the game but our oil pump went technical at St Neots.

If my memory serves me correctly the bloke who ran it was called Ted.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Lucania Snooker Club on 16:20 - May 10 with 7139 viewsblueislander

Lucania Snooker Club on 16:17 - May 10 by Lord_Lucan

"The Pin Hall"

I thought I remembered having a pint in there but on reflection I think you're correct.

I heard stories of various London clubs trying to get in there but never saw any trouble at all. The last time I can remember going in there was when Shrewsbury knocked us out of the FA Cup. We had attempted to get to the game but our oil pump went technical at St Neots.

The Cock and Pye was just next door too.
Lucania Snooker Club on 16:22 - May 10 with 7132 viewsblueislander

"The Pin Hall"

When I occasionally went there in the late 60s it did not have an alcohol license.
Lucania Snooker Club on 16:29 - May 10 with 7122 viewsLord_Lucan

Lucania Snooker Club on 16:22 - May 10 by blueislander

When I occasionally went there in the late 60s it did not have an alcohol license.

Yeah, I think you are right you know.

What's puzzling me is being in there for all afternoon of that Shrewsbury game drinking tea.

I suppose as you get older you forget that once ago you had a pretty stable life.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Lucania Snooker Club on 16:37 - May 10 with 7109 viewsblueislander

Lucania Snooker Club on 16:29 - May 10 by Lord_Lucan

Yeah, I think you are right you know.

What's puzzling me is being in there for all afternoon of that Shrewsbury game drinking tea.

I suppose as you get older you forget that once ago you had a pretty stable life.

When you get to my age you tend to stabilise , although you also tend to fall over more frequently.
Lucania Snooker Club on 16:51 - May 10 with 7086 viewsgainsboroughblue

I was a member there for a short while. From memory, I probably only went in there about three times.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Lucania Snooker Club on 17:06 - May 10 with 7060 viewshype313

Presume that then turned into Cueball which was run by Cattermoles boy?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

Lucania Snooker Club on 17:36 - May 10 with 7023 viewsLord_Lucan

Lucania Snooker Club on 16:37 - May 10 by blueislander

When you get to my age you tend to stabilise , although you also tend to fall over more frequently.

Now it all makes sense. Back then the pubs weren’t open all day - not even Saturdays.

Lucania Snooker Club on 18:08 - May 10 with 6979 viewsArcher4721

"The Pin Hall"

It was owned by Barry Hearn (Snooker Promoter)...He owned the whole lot of Lucania in the South East with head office being in Romford.

"Ted" wasn't anything to do with the place. You're probably thinking of Ted brown who opened a posh snooker club up in the 80's near the library.

Plenty of teams tried to get in, I remember Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal,Man Utd Southampton off the top of my head all trying get in but all were met with a hail of snooker cues and balls from the locals and never got through the front corridor.
Lucania Snooker Club on 18:21 - May 10 with 6962 viewsLord_Lucan

Lucania Snooker Club on 18:08 - May 10 by Archer4721

It was owned by Barry Hearn (Snooker Promoter)...He owned the whole lot of Lucania in the South East with head office being in Romford.

"Ted" wasn't anything to do with the place. You're probably thinking of Ted brown who opened a posh snooker club up in the 80's near the library.

Plenty of teams tried to get in, I remember Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal,Man Utd Southampton off the top of my head all trying get in but all were met with a hail of snooker cues and balls from the locals and never got through the front corridor.

Ted Brown rings a bell. Would Ted have been one of the better players in there? I remember my ex mate Enzo the rapist knocking about with him maybe.

Did you know Enzo? Big ipswich fan until he went away for 5 years.

Lucania Snooker Club on 18:51 - May 10 with 6942 viewsgainsboroughblue

Lucania Snooker Club on 18:21 - May 10 by Lord_Lucan

Ted Brown rings a bell. Would Ted have been one of the better players in there? I remember my ex mate Enzo the rapist knocking about with him maybe.

Ted was a good player at national amateur level certainly. I think he organised the Tolly classic that was held here, along with John Peachey.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Lucania Snooker Club on 18:52 - May 10 with 6942 viewsstrikalite

Remember my Dad used to take me to the Executive Club owned by Ted Brown, top Amateur player I seemed to remember, is he still alive does anyone know? Loved that place, a few Town players were always in there, Cooper was very good seemed to recall...

Nobby, his referee mate, wonder if he's still going.......twtd...
Lucania Snooker Club on 19:25 - May 10 with 6912 viewsfloridablue

Lucania Snooker Club on 18:08 - May 10 by Archer4721

There was an old boy, Ted that was the head guy behind the counter around 69/70. along with Colin and Eddie (who had broke/damaged his back and couldn't bend down but still a half decent player). Anyone recall the fight that broke out one midweek summer evening in 1970 between two youths. Ted and staff came over and 'ushered' them and the group outside where one pulled out a knife and the other, it was alleged at the murder trial apparently 'ran' onto the blade as he was swinging a punch. He was cleared of all charges, both were friends of mine.
Lucania Snooker Club on 20:03 - May 10 with 6874 viewsColin_Viljoen

I knew Ted's daughter Linda, she told me about a time Tony Knowles got his willy out in front of her, from then on known as "Flasher Knowles"
Lucania Snooker Club on 00:02 - May 11 with 6761 viewsfloridablue

Been thinking about the 'Ted" name and now i'm swaying towards the 'old boy' Sam name as the counter guy way back when.
Lucania Snooker Club on 07:48 - May 11 with 6667 viewsBluespeed225

Ted was a top local player, I actually went to some coaching sessions they used to run on a Sunday morning at the Executive club next to Mortems, got right into it, so next step was setting foot in the Lucania! Had heard about the stabbing, but never knew any details. Place was a bit of a Rasta hang out, lads always standing by the doorway! I always thought West Ham had a go, looking for TS and co?
Teds mate was Nobby Clarke, they had a snooker shop in Austin Street. Why are Clarke’s nicknamed Nobby? I know about 4!
Lucania Snooker Club on 11:02 - May 11 with 6630 viewsArcher4721

Yes I know who you mean (you knew some very strange people). He wasn't a mate or anything. I remember how people remarked at the time what a weirdo he was and how it proved to be correct with him being found out as a nonce.
Lucania Snooker Club on 11:47 - May 11 with 6600 viewsLord_Lucan

Lucania Snooker Club on 11:02 - May 11 by Archer4721

Yes I know who you mean (you knew some very strange people). He wasn't a mate or anything. I remember how people remarked at the time what a weirdo he was and how it proved to be correct with him being found out as a nonce.

Ha.

Yeah, looking back he was an oddball.

We probably know each other Facey, at least by sight anyway.

Keep searching for Mecca Archer!

Lucania Snooker Club on 11:51 - May 11 with 6592 viewsArcher4721

Lucania Snooker Club on 11:47 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

Ha.

Yeah, looking back he was an oddball.

We probably know each other Facey, at least by sight anyway.

Keep searching for Mecca Archer!

It was the eyes!!
Lucania Snooker Club on 12:43 - May 11 with 6547 viewsLord_Lucan

Lucania Snooker Club on 11:51 - May 11 by Archer4721

It was the eyes!!

Yeah they were a bit bulging weren't they. He also had the weirdest tattoo, it was a tattoo of The FA Cup but it looked like a flower vase and it seemed to have ITFK underneath it.

The whole thing was a bad time for our lot, I was out with him the night he fell foul and there was a party going on which I didn't want to go to, and then - blah blah blah

last time I bumped into him was Fulham away in the mid 90's, I've no idea if he is even alive. I think he stayed in touch with Kempy but now he's gone the chapter is closed.

Lucania Snooker Club on 12:53 - May 11 with 6532 viewstractorbarny

I remember it well. The reason it had no licence was because the Luciana was a temperance organisation and the snooker halls were set up to provide the industrial working classes with a pastime that didn't involve alcohol. A favourite haunt of mine during the '60s. It was quite popular in it's day, it was packed out most lunchtimes and weekends. Excellent place, cheap prices and you could get cheap cups of tea and cheese or meat rolls. Table 19 was the best table but young 'uns like us were not encouraged to use it in case of damage. Spent hours in there. Do you recall that saying: Being good at snooker is a sign of a misspent youth?
Was a good place to play truant for while as it had a rear entrance you could scoot out of if the teachers came looking but they eventually twigged that and posted a guard on the rear door while the other teachers went in the front. Oh what fun we had. Happy days indeed! Never was any aggro at all in those days.
[Post edited 11 May 2018 12:58]
Lucania Snooker Club on 12:55 - May 11 with 6527 viewstractorbarny

Lucania Snooker Club on 07:48 - May 11 by Bluespeed225

Ted was a top local player, I actually went to some coaching sessions they used to run on a Sunday morning at the Executive club next to Mortems, got right into it, so next step was setting foot in the Lucania! Had heard about the stabbing, but never knew any details. Place was a bit of a Rasta hang out, lads always standing by the doorway! I always thought West Ham had a go, looking for TS and co?
Teds mate was Nobby Clarke, they had a snooker shop in Austin Street. Why are Clarke’s nicknamed Nobby? I know about 4!

from rhyming slang perhaps?: Nobby Clark: Shark
Lucania Snooker Club on 12:59 - May 11 with 6517 viewsLord_Lucan

Lucania Snooker Club on 12:53 - May 11 by tractorbarny

I remember it well. The reason it had no licence was because the Luciana was a temperance organisation and the snooker halls were set up to provide the industrial working classes with a pastime that didn't involve alcohol. A favourite haunt of mine during the '60s. It was quite popular in it's day, it was packed out most lunchtimes and weekends. Excellent place, cheap prices and you could get cheap cups of tea and cheese or meat rolls. Table 19 was the best table but young 'uns like us were not encouraged to use it in case of damage. Spent hours in there. Do you recall that saying: Being good at snooker is a sign of a misspent youth?
Was a good place to play truant for while as it had a rear entrance you could scoot out of if the teachers came looking but they eventually twigged that and posted a guard on the rear door while the other teachers went in the front. Oh what fun we had. Happy days indeed! Never was any aggro at all in those days.
[Post edited 11 May 2018 12:58]

Yeah it's all coming back.

Cheese rolls, best table numbers, Sharks!

TWTD indeed

Lucania Snooker Club on 13:02 - May 11 with 6505 viewsCaptainObvious

i remember playing a few times in one behind Mortems, but that was in Northgate Street?

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024